Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

HOLY poo poo THE JUNE THREAD POSTED IN JUNE WTF

:colbert:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

STR fixes air conditioning

I'm good at breaking ac. Fixing, not so much.

I'm finally used to the car not having ac - so long as the windows are down and I'm moving it's not terrible. I keep getting sunburns on my left arm though. Also on my neck if I drive with the sunroof open. :downsgun:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaha posted:

Number one thing to get used to with a convertible too. Got a wicked sunburn last year so now I go pretty overkill with the sun block if I'm planning on a longer drive. Only issue is that my wife leaves white fingerprints everywhere after applying it.

I spend 4+ hours behind the wheel at least 5 days a week (often 5-6 hours of actual driving). I should probably consider sun block. Maybe. Eventually.

(or I'll just fork out the ~$400 to fix the ac)

Liquid Communism posted:

Probably gonna get skin cancer eventually.

And... yeah, that.

I wanted a tan, but I wanted it to be even on both sides of my body. So far it's mostly on my left arm and one side of my face. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I can't even handle putting eyedrops in my eyes, much less contacts.

But I also buy my glasses from optical4less and Zenni. Yeah, they're ugly, they take forever to show up, but they're also really cheap. The two I wear the most are identical except for one set being tinted/polarized, I think I paid ~$100 for the pair.

I may give Warby Parker a shot next time - they have a couple of retail locations locally, so I can actually go in and try things on.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Alarbus posted:

You can actually request to have a few choices mailed to you to try on, and then you just mail them back. My wife did that a few times, it's a lot easier than driving into center city Philly to the shop.

I know, but I'd probably wind up doing that for several weeks. I'd rather just walk in and try all of them on in one go. I'm pretty indecisive to begin with. I also have a big head, so finding frames that fit decently is kinda hard.

Both Dallas locations are pretty close to work. One is in a super snobby mall (Northpark Center), one is in a free standing building in a gentrified neighborhood (it was a really lovely neighborhood when I lived there, but that was 20 years ago). I'd go to the free standing one in the middle of the day, if/when I do go.

Cage posted:

Once I was in the drive thru getting coffee, when I accidentally let the clutch out in first gear and bumped the car in front of me. Apologized, looked and there was no damage so we didn't exchange info. Second one was rush hour morning traffic, left lane and traffic slows to a halt after being 55 and even though I saw the brake lights of the car in front of me go on I didn't brake hard enough at first, and bumped the guy in front of me. Pulled over, didn't see any damage but we exchang

This happened in the drive thru at a Pizza Hut I worked at.

The person that got hit was screaming about injuries and was threatening to sue the store if they didn't get their food for free. :laffo: (there was no visible damage to either vehicle)

Rhyno posted:

The power steering entire car is screaming begging to be put out of its misery

Enourmo posted:

So fun a/c update: still hot, and i realized the periodic buzzing noise I occasionally heard through my shower the last couple days was, not something in a neighboring unit, but my own circuit breaker panel. :stonk: It stopped after I flipped open the a/c circuit, so that's a neat wrinkle in whatever is wrong with it.

Air handler and a/c are on separate breakers, so I can at least have airflow. My ceiling fan is still dead; latest word is my mom wants to give me the one from her bedroom, which I was in. It's dinky and stuck on high (broken pull chain), but my room is smaller than that master bedroom and I'd never turn it off anyway.

Air handler and a/c are almost always on separate breakers. If it's just a straight air handler, or an air handler with a gas furnace, it probably runs on 120V, while your actual ac runs on 240V. If it's the typical electric furnace + air handler that gets shoved into every apartment here, it's 240V, but still on a separate breaker. If it's a heat pump + air handler setup, it's still probably 240V (electric backup heat). Air handler generally has the 24V transformer though.

Call your apartment's emergency maintenance if the panel is buzzing; in a lot of cities and states, lack of working ac in a rental is considered an emergency anyway. And don't change the fan yourself; your apartment maintenance can and will blame you touching anything in the place for the ac taking a poo poo (learned this the hard way, thank gently caress I was able to get that guy's boss involved, boss at least had a little bit of common sense).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I can drive without my glasses. Doesn't mean it's a good idea. :v: (also I've always had a restriction on my license stating "corrective lenses required", even when I was 15)

Can I read street signs without them? No. Can I see the lane markers? Barely. Can I make out the shapes of various road signs? Eh, I can make out stop and yield signs. I can sort of make out the speedometer.

My vision really isn't that bad, if you just go by numbers - it hasn't changed a whole lot since I was 21 (I'm almost 39). But it seems like my focus is just kinda stuck now, whereas before I could at least focus on closer stuff, and any sharp contrast gives me a washed out spot in my vision a lot easier than it used to. Pretty sure I'll be wearing bifocals within a couple of years.

That said, I pretty much only wear my glasses if I'm driving or outside. I don't wear them at home unless I'm editing photos or doing something that requires not-fuzzy vision; navigating Netflix on the TV is a little challenging from the couch (have to squint), but if I'm, say, sitting at my desk, I can read what's on the monitor decent enough.

I can't stand the thought of contacts, and any kind of laser correction freaks me out. I can't even handle eyedrops, I'm not about to let someone stick frickin laser beams in my eyes.

e: huh, okay maybe my rx is a little worse than I thought.. just pulled it up, my bad eye is -1.00 on sphere, -0.75 on cylinder. Good eye is -0.50/-1.00. Don't remember what it used to be though..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 3, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Enourmo posted:

Those mostly work by evaporative cooling, which requires dry air

Guess what I don't have in Orlando

Why haven't you called the emergency maintenance line yet?

They may be required to put you up in a hotel while the a/c is broken (depends on local law).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

96.8 pounds according to Harbor Freight's website. :v:

Christ that seems heavy for a jack. Especially a Harbor Freight jack.

e: vvvv good point :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 5, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I got a text from my old roommates. They're pregnant.

She had her first kid taken by CPS and rehomed with a family member, he owes well over a quarter mil in back child support to 3 different women (so far). They're bouncing between couches and hotels.

I'm not sure if I should say congrats, or send condolences on the pending child support lawsuit (and/or CPS investigations).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

How the hell does one owe a 1/4 mil in child support/alimony/etc? According to the numbers, as a dirty poor middle class, I only expect to make about $2 million over my entire working life.

Don't show up to court, get default judgments, get fees/fines/collections/etc tacked on. The oldest is 16.

He's never paid a penny. But it's okay, because he can totally work cash jobs for the rest of his life. :downsgun:

Pham Nuwen posted:

Tell them you're sure the foster families will love this child too.

:drat:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DICK DICER posted:

So the civic is getting expired tabs tickets literally every other day. I cant renew them until my license is valid. I cant get that restored until I pay off all the tickets. The close outdoor storage places all require a car be running and fully tabbed and Insured to store for.a month plus, and the one that didn't require that starts at $300/mo just for an unsecured spot in their lot

Do you have anyone you trust that you could sign it over to? Or can you not even do that with outstanding tickets?

I've known plenty of people who rented an enclosed storage unit with outside access, and stored cars in them (obviously this is verboten in the lease, but I've known people who managed to run shops out of Public Storage units, they just tapped into the power for the outside lighting and could only run their equipment after dark). The Civic would probably fit fine in a 10x10 unit, right? Hell, maybe even a 10x5 if you have a couple of wheeled jacks. Rent a unit with after-hours access, tow the Civic over, shove it into the storage unit?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 7, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Looks like my Crown Vic will be needing pads and at least front rotors soon. What was the Goon collective preferred configuration for daily driver brakes? I seem to recall Centric rotors and ceramic pads of some sort. Is there really any difference, particularly with rotors? Even the plain-jane poo poo at O'reillys is almost $50 per rotor. Ditto for the "Brake Best" ceramic pads. I might as well get the Power Stop Daily Driver kit from Rock or Amazon (probably Amazon because $LOL shipping @ Rock Auto.)
I'm not going to be racing the thing. I just need it to stop confidently, and preferably without making GBS threads up my fancy wheels.

In my own opinion, for a daily driver that never sees more than daily driver use, rotors are rotors, so long as they have some kind of brand name (even if it's store brand) and are purchased new.

I really prefer ceramic pads, more because you don't have to touch them again for years; my last set were some wholesaler closeout Raybestos ceramic pads (with a NASCAR sticker on the box :laffo:) for $7 from Rockauto. The set I have now are Carquest Wearever Gold (Advance Auto's house brand, ceramic). I got nearly 60k out of the NASCAR/Raybestos $7 pads, and I'm pretty sure the pads I have on it now will still be on the car whenever it returns to the earth.

You probably know this, but you can generally find some killer coupons for Advance, and some of them can stack. Order online for in-store pickup.

Rhyno posted:

New cars are too goddamned big. Came upon a Mazda 323 hatch parked next to a Fiat 500 and the Mazda makes the FIat look huge.

One of the guards at work drives a 98 Prelude. Yeah, it's dropped a bit, and has a shaved trunk, but... my Saturn looks like a goddamned tank next to it. The Ion came out in 2002 for the 2003 model year (and ran with no exterior changes on the coupe for the entire run, sedan got a facelift halfway through). The last generation Prelude came out in 1997 for the 1998 model year.

The Corolla (or is that a Camry? I can't even tell them apart anymore) on the other side looks like a Tahoe in comparison to the Prelude.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 9, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

This is the only Buckethead that I will acknowledge.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

All I know is he really knows how to stroke dem strings. That's enough for me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

scuz posted:

Oof. Girlfriend had a end-of-school-year party with her co-teachers and I showed up just to say hi and wound up partying all night with them. I stopped drinking around 11:30 last night and I might still be drunk. Teachers loving party, man :barf:

Every K-12 teacher I know either drinks heavy, smokes mountains of weed, or both.

I don't think my liver would last 6 months.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

funny Star Wars parody posted:

My fuel line by my door is leaking and I didn't notice it until this morning. Kept wondering why I smelled gas

I went from full tank to a quarter of a tank just today so I guess my Saturday is booked

It's definitely the line, and not the fuel pump? The plastic fittings on the pump itself are known to crack (GM paid to replace my fuel pump for that exact reason, but they only do that in southern states - it was dripping gas from the top of the tank toward the front).

If it's the line.. yeah have fun.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

opengl128 posted:

Dude having a beater is amazing. See my Vibe picture above. Filled with dirt and bugs and bashed the tailpipe. Who cares. I have the Corvette and bike when I want to go fast and have fun, but having an appliance-mobile is just great.

I'd honestly kinda like having a Vibe. Toyota Matrix without the Toyota price tag. But both of them have gotten really hard to find in decent shape. :smith:

I have a friend who bought a base model Matrix brand new in ... 2005? Still has it, has really low miles for its age (75k last time I saw it, which was a year and a half ago). I might start asking her when she wants to get rid of it. The paint is trash and it's full of parking lot dings and has a bit of hail damage, but she's fanatical about maintenance and keeping the interior clean.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Don't care, I'd drive a manual mk3 Supra for the rest of my life if I could. By far one of my favorite cars ever. :swoon: (just uh... do the head gasket immediately, and do whatever work is required to keep it from popping again)

Some of us like our girls with meat on their bones.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

Confession time: I don't know how to drive stick. I mean, I know the main concepts of how it works and I know how manual transmissions operate mechanically, but I have never actually driven one.

Oh hey 18 year old me! Been awhile... over 20 years!

I went out and bought a beater that had 3 pedals, and had to figure out how to get myself home during rush hour. I'd attempted to drive manual a couple of times, with massive fail.

The hardest point is learning where the clutch begins to bite. It's a lot easier on something with a hydraulic clutch (the car I bought had a cable). Once you've figured out how to get it moving without stalling, the rest is easy. It took a couple of days of driving it as my full time car to get to where I wasn't stalling regularly and could shift without ripping the engine off of its mounts, and I have incredibly poor hand/eye coordination. I only knew the basics from watching my dad and a couple of friends do it.

I'm dead serious when I say the hard part is getting the car to move without either roasting the clutch or stalling the car. Every single car is different once it has some miles on it - you can put two identical cars side by side, that have had different owners, and the clutches will feel completely different between them. It takes me a couple of minutes to get used to the clutch in a different car. Just replacing the pedal assembly on my car (still on the original clutch) took a little bit of work to get used to.

For me, teaching myself was a lot easier than having a friend teach me. I got stressed out when friends tried to show me (more because they were bitching about me destroying the clutch if I didn't do exactly what they did); teaching myself was very much a "jump in the deep end and hope I don't die". I didn't die. The worst thing you're going to do, so long as you're cautious, is either stall the car out, or burn some rubber. Just try to focus on getting the car moving without slipping the clutch forever, and you'll figure out the rest fairly quickly.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 11, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BraveUlysses posted:

hey whats that website for picking out a good car shipper/transporter? east coast prices are just too good for a new VW GTI compared to what we get on the west coast.

uShip?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Dunno, but I bought them less than two years ago. Pictures I have up say 11/17 for the purchase date.

Also echoing the Doom is great. Even on console. I imagine it's better on mouse and keyboard. I'm stuck at the final boss.

Hello future Darchangel! :v:

You still have those tires? The manufacturer warranty is probably still in effect, and if that's not related to the odd wear, you may be able to get a new one.

If you got them at Discount and have certificates, Discount covers them for 3 years from the date of purchase.

Goober Peas posted:

Add me to the sick on Monday club. I woke up early this morning spraying out both ends. So far have been able to keep a glass of sprite down, anything else leads to more spraying.

Oh good I'm not the only one. :barf: Went to work for about an hour and a half before I packed it in.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mariooncrack posted:

My dad and I went car shopping the other day. One of the dealerships seemed to have a lot of cars that haven't moved in awhile. There were a lot of vehicles with rust on the rotors, some cars seemed to have more rust than not rust.

That's probably not a good sign is it?

Rotors get surface rust if you park overnight in a humid area; if you're in the desert they'll still rust anytime it rains or if it's parked near sprinklers when they run. Cars at a dealer will often sit for weeks at a time, maybe even months, depending on the options and dealer volume. I know my own car was built in June of 2005, but wasn't titled to the original owner until October; it also sat on a used lot for about 5 weeks before I got it. The porters aren't going to be driving it enough for the pads to remove the rust (they're only going to move it around to rearrange the cars or to wash it).

You'd never know the rust was there after 1 or 2 decent stops.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Could just be LG vs Vizio too. Vizio is usually the best value at their price points, but Samsung and LG are generally trading top spots for picture quality on their nice stuff.

Vizio's stuff is always a little bit behind Samsung and LG as well.

May also be a bit of your cable provider compressing the signal a bit compared to whatever setup the hotel has - they typically roll their own "cable" system, most of the ones I've seen are fed from a mix of satellite and OTA. I've only been in a couple of hotels that just feed straight cable to the rooms (and those have been of the no-tel -1 star variety).

That said... I have a couple of ancient (by LCD standards) 720p TVs here. :downsgun: The Samsung I have works when it drat well wants to (inverter issues), the Toshiba works every time (but freezes up a few times a week). They're both pushing a decade old, though, and I watch TV maybe once or twice a week.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Enourmo posted:

It's hard to explain FL thunderstorms to people who aren't familiar. There may not be tornadoes, or softball-sized hail, but the sheer volume of rain dumping down can get ridiculous and the lightning is ever-present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WgHTXMswG0

They're not all like that, of course, but it's typical enough that the risk just isn't worth it.

Oh my god. It's... it's beautiful. :allears: I'd hate to be caught outside in that though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Been there, at least with the static (neighbor's giant ham antenna got hit while I was on my patio).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Waking up to the bed shaking and the sounds of jackhammers is always fun. :shepicide:

Guess they started foundation work on my building a couple of weeks early.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

Are you sure it was foundation work? :quagmire:

Now that you mention it, I think I saw my downstairs neighbor's boyfriend's truck this morning.

He's welcome to mix up our apartments annnnytime.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Enourmo posted:

mods plz namechange to FORTRAN'S RIGHTS FORESKIN'S RIGHTS

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The torque converter lockup would still let it start in park or neutral, though.

(dealt with that on a few friend's late 80s/early 90s GMs...)

e;f;b by Raluek

Kinda ironic I guess, my 01 Accord (same generation as your 99) would forget how to idle fairly regularly when coming off the highway. 4 cylinder with a manual though; it was always a lot of fun if I put the clutch in to downshift going around a turn and OH HEY WHERE'D MY POWER STEERING GO. Always started back up easy enough, but I'd have to feather the throttle to keep it idling for a moment after that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

No clue in my case (I haven't had that car since 2010), but I know at least 4 cylinder Hondas get the infamous Honda bouncing idle with even a small vacuum leak.

The V6s are a whole different ball game though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, true enough about the torque converter thing. That was the case with my Beretta too, crapped out as soon as you put it in gear.

As for the Accord, on cold starts, it's fine. Starts and idles around 1300 while it warms up as normal. Nothing wrong there. Warm starts, sometimes it's fine and idles at 650 rpm but sometimes it'll just tank and stall. If I catch it before it stalls and then hold the throttle at about 2000 rpm for two or three minutes then slooooowly let it drop down to idle (around 650 rpm) it'll be fine. Once it gets to that point of idling at 650 rpm in park or neutral it's fine for the rest of the drive.

Fuel economy I get around 17-18 mpg, about 80% city 20% highway. That seems kind of low for a late 90s Honda V6 though, now that I think about it.

It was a pain in the dick to track down the V6 part of the service manual for this car and unfortunately it hasn't really been of any help (other than to confirm my suspicion that the gear ratios on the autobox are horrendous).

To be honest, my 4 cylinder Accord only did about 18-20 city, sometimes up to 25 mixed (and it was so slow... so loving slow, I'm pretty sure the Saturn I have now would easily outrun it). It was great on road trips though - generally 33-35 on a 100% highway tank.

What happens if you try to hold it at, say, 1000?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The hotter it gets, the more I want to say gently caress it and slam the cheapest compressor into my car. I was trying to save up for at least a name brand, but Jim Bob's AC Shop on ebay has a "rebuilt" compressor for $110. A Four Seasons reman is closer to $300; a new in box OEM compressor is only $25 more than the 4 Reasons to run reman on Rockauto.

Car's throwing an evap code now too. :argh: P0496, I'm assuming the purge solenoid is stuck open or something. New AC Delco solenoid is $22 on Rockauto (the aftermarket ones somehow cost more), so it's not exactly painful to just throw a new solenoid at it. It's been kinda grumpy about starting lately and my mileage went to poo poo over the past week.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Problem is, most of the used ones I'm finding (hell, most of the reman ones too) are a Delphi CVC compressor. Mine has a Sanden PXV16 compressor.

I'm not even sure of the difference when it comes to the car, except it seems like the Sanden compressor isn't used nearly as much. If the Delphi is a direct swap, that'd be awesome (especially since I've found Denso remans of that one for <$100), but I haven't been able to find anyone that can confirm/deny that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Not that I've found so far. The only significant difference I've found so far is the clutch. But I haven't sat down with one of each side by side. They also mount directly to the block, without a bracket, so if there's a mounting difference, it's not exactly a "meh, get another bracket" issue.

I know both are variable displacement compressors of the mechanical sort, not electronic, so chances are they're probably interchangeable. There's differences between year models (03-04 and 05+ - different part numbers for the lines and compressor). I just don't want to get in there and discover "well poo poo, they're not interchangeable after all".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 18, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh c'mon man it can't be that bad. Look, I'll even pull up Rockauto right now, and...

gently caress. :stonkhat:

And you have the 6 rib pulley as an extra bit of gently caress you, don't you?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 18, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Only one of those options fits his, though, at least as a direct bolt-on. He has that nice little supercharger, which means a 6 rib belt instead of the normal 5 rib.

Also :laffo:, yeah, there's absolutely no reason to drive an Ion with cloudy headlights. Not only are they dirt cheap, it takes 5 minutes to swap both of them, start to finish. They're held in with 2 pins, kinda like some GM trucks.

e: ouch, they've gone up quite a bit since I last looked, but still, ~$120ish for a (coupe) set on Amazon. The sedan ones seem to be a bit cheaper, but the sedans are also far more common than the coupes.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 18, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's about what I pay for my Saturn's insurance. :smith: I could probably knock a bit off if I dropped collision, but I'd rather pay a bit more per month instead of having to go "ohshit" and find another car if I gently caress up (or, as with what happened last year, someone with insurance hits me, but their insurance drags it out for 9 months).

Also, insert that famous "IT'S HAPPENING" gif. New compressor ordered. gently caress this loving heat, I drat near passed out a couple of times yesterday. Don't know how long the compressor will last, it's from Jim Bob's House of Taxidermy and Compressors on eBay, but if it lasts a year or two I'll be happy. Tried contacting several people selling used ones asking if they were Sanden or Delphi, nobody ever replied, so it looks like Jim Bob gets my money.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 19, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

My Focus ST was just a hair over $80/month to insure when I bought it new in December of 2014. It is currently right at $112/month. Other than me and the car both getting older, nothing has changed in regards to my driving habits or record. Almost a 30% increase in 2-1/2 years is kind of bullshit, but it's not like I really have a choice about it. /sigh..

I got smacked with a large increase (on the liability portion, wtf) when I moved last year.

It was about a $30/month difference.

I moved from a solidly upper middle class area to working class.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Learn how to rebuild compressors and keep the old one as a spare. That's what I do.

That's the plan, if I can track down the parts. This one didn't fail catastrophically and (at least AFAIK) didn't spew teflon or black death through the system, so it'd probably be perfect to learn on. As far as I know, I need the clutch and the front seal, plus whatever else needs replacing when you tear them apart.

Rockauto doesn't carry the clutch for it though, so I'm already at a bit of a loss. I guess I'm gonna have to refine my Google-fu to track down rebuild parts for this one.

Darchangel posted:

If you need AC equipment (vac pump and gauges), I have them, and three major auto parts stores within a mile or two.

Appreciate it, but it's tight enough in there that I'd rather just farm it out. A friend works at a shop in Wylie, he's agreed to do for a not horrific amount of cash. Also throwing a new belt on; I have 75k on this belt, may as well do it at the same time.

The gently caress did I just watch :stare:

Pretty drat funny though

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

Welcome to Regular Car Reviews. If you've never seen any of their videos before, it's basically reviews of generally common or at most uncommon vehicles written by a couple dirty humour enjoying English majors in their early 30s, with all that entails.

I've seen plenty of RCR videos, but that one was pretty spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We have ways of making you talk.

I see we're on the same level for taco sauce.

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's been over 100 every day this week here in Albuquerque. On Monday, it got so hot in Phoenix that they grounded air traffic, which I didn't even know was possible.

You can get used to it; I grew up in a desert environment that would regularly hit 110F in the summer and I'd be working in dusty cattle pens. Albuquerque's been more or less like returning to my childhood home. You, unfortunately, are probably hosed because your body won't have enough time to adapt.

You might be able to rig up some sort of evaporative cooling with a fan and some water-soaked cloth, but if the humidity is high this won't work.

I grew up in El Paso, which is similar to Albuquerque's climate (maybe a little hotter, but not as hot as Phoenix).

110 is loving hot, but at least there's no humidity to speak of in most of NM (or El Paso). I can handle 100-105 in the desert fine so long as I have water and sunblock. 110 is tolerable if I have a hat and an occasional bit of shade.

This 90+ w/70% humidity poo poo in DFW, on the other hand.... gently caress this loving humidity. I've been here 20 years and I still want to die anytime I step outside after about 2pm between April and October.

Growing up, I never knew swamp coolers weren't considered real air conditioners... I never lived in a house that had anything else until I was in high school. Swamp coolers work great in the desert though, and cost so little to run - if they worked out here I'd be all over that, my electric bill is painful here.

• Locked thread