Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie's best line is that he was elected to represent Pittsburgh, not Paris.

There's a problem with that.

https://twitter.com/DanEggenWPost/status/870368674657554432

I wonder what the mayor of Pittsburgh will say.

To be fair he was elected to represent Pittsburgh, not Paris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Make Pittsburgh Great Again

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Missionary Positron posted:

I realize that, but I just can't understand why it's coal of all things. Am I missing some cultural context here?

EDIT: https://twitter.com/sparksjls/status/870355669882417152

lol/ :smith:
Like Cile said it's about optics. The tiny little segment of the population that works in rhe coal industry are what the Republicans have been pushing as real Americans because they're White, Christian, and eat up Fox News talking points. They also can't ever get enough coal company dick down their throats fast enough despite the absolute disregard those companies have shown multiple generations of their family.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Oh hey here's the Pittsburgh mayor!

https://twitter.com/billpeduto/status/870368663693660162

Mayor vs. Spicey

https://twitter.com/billpeduto/status/870370288344674304

Mayor knows how to count votes: https://twitter.com/billpeduto/status/870369217031397377

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 1, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Let's say grace.

Thanks be to the coal company for providing this nutritious squirrel and ketchup soup dinner in my delightful corrugated shack.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Well, on the upside, late night comedy hosts can spend the next week making fun of Trump once again being wrong about absolutely everything and understanding absolutely nothing, in the most recent case, the impact of temperature changes of fractures of a degree Celsius.

"WE'RE GONNA HAVE THE CLEANEST AIR, WE'RE GONNA HAVE THE CLEANEST WATER, WE'RE GONNA BE ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY, BUT WE'RE NOT GONNA SACRIFICE OUR JOBS"

:lol:

Who's in the audience? Jesus Christ

Also on the upside, Florida is going to sink no matter what we do at this point. We can maybe save some of the low lying land that everyone's been panicking about, but we're in the "Red Zone" of climate change planning now. Worst predictions from the 90s ahoy.

And lol, as someone that's spent quite a bit of their life working on A.I. / automation software, we're so hosed in terms of working out how to provide jobs for people in the next 50 years it's beyond funny.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie's best line is that he was elected to represent Pittsburgh, not Paris.

There's a problem with that.

https://twitter.com/DanEggenWPost/status/870368674657554432

I wonder what the mayor of Pittsburgh will say.

As a longtime resident of Philadelphia and Pennsylvania. No one gives a poo poo about Pittsburgh.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I realize that, but I just can't understand why it's coal of all things. Am I missing some cultural context here?

EDIT: https://twitter.com/sparksjls/status/870355669882417152
Coal is a symbol. Coal jobs are overwhelmingly in Republican districts (solar jobs aren't, necessarily) and are emblematic of an industry that has remained American in the face of globalization pressures, and also has massive negative externalities. It's not just Republicans: Hillary promised to "put a lot of coal miners out of work" during the campaign, and her supporters understood exactly what ideas she was committing to: prioritizing international and environmental issues irrespective of the costs to poor, flyover state workers. People in Palo Alto like the idea of people in West Virginia reaping the whirlwind for their failure to embrace modern economic realities (and 21st century social values.) This obviously doesn't sell well in West Virginia.

Further, it plays into domino theories of policy: if we acknowledge that coal is externally harmful and needs to be wound down, you could say the same thing about beef ranching, suburban homes, lifted trucks, private vehicle ownership in general, and a ton of other elements of traditional or modern rural life. And no one believes that Hillary's desire to force people to act in the optimal way for the global good irrespective of personal cost is in any way limited to coal miners.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The fantasy of bring production back to America sees coal as the foundation. Coal powers the plants and makes steel etc. The part of the country living in this fantasy are also important swing states so here we are, pandering to them. Really the coal industry is doing okay, its just a bunch of people in Pennsylvania and Kentucky lost their jobs, and then 1/5th of those came back as jobs in Wyoming and Montana.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Alright, what the gently caress was that thing in the Philippines? Donnie said it was a terrorist attack, but the police chief just told AP that there were no signs of terrorism and no gunshot wounds.

https://twitter.com/markberman/status/870375412026806274

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Hexyflexy posted:

And lol, as someone that's spent quite a bit of their life working on A.I. / automation software, we're so hosed in terms of working out how to provide jobs for people in the next 50 years it's beyond funny.

To an extent. Automation of the workforce is nothing new. Pilots and bus drivers will find themselves out of jobs in the next 50 years, but people working in skilled trades will remain employed because we're nowhere close to having AI capable of soldering pipes or wiring up a breaker panel.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Casimir Radon posted:

Let's say grace.

Thanks be to the coal company for providing this nutritious squirrel and ketchup soup dinner in my delightful corrugated shack.

I live in tobacco land but there's PRAY 4 COAL signs all over the place.

I saw a squirrel three weeks ago. The last time I saw one was over a year. There used to be a lot of them, then a few years back a father and son duo drove up next door and the kid was hanging out the window with a shotgun blasting squirrels out of trees. They both hopped out and kept going as the property owner came out of his house, threw a stuffed envelope in the truck, and went back inside. The retrievable squirrels went in the truck bed, but some still lingered in the limbs.

I miss squirrels. :(

Nowadays the neighbor kids have taken to shooting songbirds with pellet guns. Not to eat, as they're doing far better than anyone else in town financially and all, but just for something to do.

Trump's America :patriot:

Edit for actual news:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/world/europe/vladimir-putin-donald-trump-hacking.html

quote:

MOSCOW — Shifting from his previous blanket denials, President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia said on Thursday that “patriotically minded” private Russian hackers could have been involved in cyberattacks last year to help the presidential campaign of Donald J. Trump.

l o l

Beeb fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 1, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

psydude posted:

To an extent. Automation of the workforce is nothing new. Pilots and bus drivers will find themselves out of jobs in the next 50 years, but people working in skilled trades will remain employed because we're nowhere close to having AI capable of soldering pipes or wiring up a breaker panel.

Actually soldering pipes and wiring panels are tasks best fit for machines/computers and the AI needed to drive vehicles is significantly further off.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

And those new lightbulbs, can't forget those.

so I was having dinner with my family and my uncle (who is an engineer and has been using the non lovely lightbulbs for years) got into a really big argument over loving lightbulbs with his father in law. Watching an old rich white dude getting upset that someone would use cost efficient, energy efficient lightbulbs was loving bizarre. He's also very vocally for fracking.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 1, 2017

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Dead Reckoning posted:

Coal is a symbol. Coal jobs are overwhelmingly in Republican districts (solar jobs aren't, necessarily) and are emblematic of an industry that has remained American in the face of globalization pressures, and also has massive negative externalities. It's not just Republicans: Hillary promised to "put a lot of coal miners out of work" during the campaign, and her supporters understood exactly what ideas she was committing to: prioritizing international and environmental issues irrespective of the costs to poor, flyover state workers. People in Palo Alto like the idea of people in West Virginia reaping the whirlwind for their failure to embrace modern economic realities (and 21st century social values.) This obviously doesn't sell well in West Virginia.

Further, it plays into domino theories of policy: if we acknowledge that coal is externally harmful and needs to be wound down, you could say the same thing about beef ranching, suburban homes, lifted trucks, private vehicle ownership in general, and a ton of other elements of traditional or modern rural life. And no one believes that Hillary's desire to force people to act in the optimal way for the global good irrespective of personal cost is in any way limited to coal miners.

See, this right here is what makes the US such a profoundly interesting and contradictory nation to me. The idealistic version of the United States is the first truly modern nation in terms of democratic ideals. I mean we all know that poo poo didn't happen, but the philosophical underpinnings of the US declaration of independence sort of heralded the coming of what was to be an era of globalization and migration. Yet at at the same time, the US has always been a weirdly conservative nation wary of change. Maybe I'm the one who's getting tangled up in symbolism, but the whole coal thing is just so perfectly emblematic of America's history; the constant interplay between progress and tradition.

I don't know, y'all are a fascinating and a terrifying nation.

Also, I'm drunk as gently caress.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Update on the Manilla thing: it was a solo thief trying to rob people :cripes:

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/870380530549886976

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So I was just in a tiny, desperately poor coastal west African country that's mostly flat, dependent on subsistence agriculture, and will be absolutely turbofucked by the sea level rise brought on by climate change. Despite that no civilian government has survived a full term in office due to continual interference by the country's military, they still managed to find their asses with both hands and sign the Paris Agreement even though they contribute .02% of the world's greenhouse gases.

Sigh.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

See, this right here is what makes the US such a profoundly interesting and contradictory nation to me. The idealistic version of the United States is the first truly modern nation in terms of democratic ideals. I mean we all know that poo poo didn't happen, but the philosophical underpinnings of the US declaration of independence sort of heralded the coming of what was to be an era of globalization and migration. Yet at at the same time, the US has always been a weirdly conservative nation wary of change. Maybe I'm the one who's getting tangled up in symbolism, but the whole coal thing is just so perfectly emblematic of America's history; the constant interplay between progress and tradition.

I don't know, y'all are a fascinating and a terrifying nation.

Also, I'm drunk as gently caress.

Being drunk is fine in this day and age, and you're pretty much correct. The U.S. is weird, speaking as an English dude. It probably has the most free and best form of governance on the planet, kind of. It has the downside that the system has some serious security holes, it turns out if you can buy up enough of the media you can persuade enough people to go along with things that blatantly aren't true or correct, and dump your society in a hole. It also has a culture outside of the big cities that is deeply rooted in old agriculture / agrarian society. Like most of us in Europe used to be.

I still think you lot will sort yourselves out though, just might take a while.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

suboptimal posted:

So I was just in a tiny, desperately poor coastal west African country that's mostly flat, dependent on subsistence agriculture, and will be absolutely turbofucked by the sea level rise brought on by climate change. Despite that no civilian government has survived a full term in office due to continual interference by the country's military, they still managed to find their asses with both hands and sign the Paris Agreement even though they contribute .02% of the world's greenhouse gases.

Sigh.

They're all already hosed - when climate scientists were screaming in the press about climate change in the early 2000s, this was what their projections were turning up. At this point, if we're really lucky, we might save Bangladesh. That's the big one. We have no idea if we can.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Reminder that the two term governor of Florida has prohibited state employees from using the term climate change. Florida will be under water before the rest, but by that point he'll have carpet bagged off to elsewhere for sure.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Actually soldering pipes and wiring panels are tasks best fit for machines/computers and the AI needed to drive vehicles is significantly further off.

Lol. It's not soldering pipes in a factory. So we need an autonomous mobile robot which is capable of manipulating tools, can articulate fully, think it's way around problems and correspond with multiple levels of command. It's called a human. You are wrong basically.
Self driving things are considerably simpler. That said advanced large scale 3D printers could put skilled trades out of work, but that's just as far off.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Lol. It's not soldering pipes in a factory. So we need an autonomous mobile robot which is capable of manipulating tools, can articulate fully, think it's way around problems and correspond with multiple levels of command. It's called a human. You are wrong basically.
Self driving things are considerably simpler. That said advanced large scale 3D printers could put skilled trades out of work, but that's just as far off.

You're correct, but we're working on it. You're right that the current deep learning crap that's going on is not exactly going to build us a terminator. I and quite a few other researchers are working on the kind of contextual machine that could do the interesting things, but we're nowhere near there yet. I mean it's so complex we don't understand what the hell we're trying to build at this point.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Coldwar timewarp posted:

If you're just talking about house-hold plumbing, then yeah, those types of things aren't easily machine replaceable. There's always some use for skilled labor, but very simple routine operations are exactly what automation is good for. I could very easily see piloted soldering/welding robots in the future for working in crawlspaces etc.

The closest thing we have to anything self driving right now is lane assistance and distance keeping, and neither of those are actually thinking on the fly, and there is still a host of problems with them. Driving a vehicle requires higher order cognition that we just simply do not have the artificial capability to duplicate.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 1, 2017

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Never heard of an automatic welder? It's used on bigger pipes all the time (usually 24"+ and depends on the company as well)

those white huts are automatic welders

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

what people aren't really realizing is that even farming is becoming extremely automated. Tractors are now GPS guided and poo poo you pretty much just sit in the cabin and monitor everything.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Reverand maynard posted:

what people aren't really realizing is that even farming is becoming extremely automated. Tractors are now GPS guided and poo poo you pretty much just sit in the cabin and monitor everything.

well those huts are automated but a UA union welder is still inside there making probably $60/h. join a union kids, they will protect your job

(also notice how all those huts have a sideboom holding them at all times? another guy getting paid)

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Never heard of an automatic welder? It's used on bigger pipes all the time (usually 24"+ and depends on the company as well)

those white huts are automatic welders

Note the work environment, it is on a big field. Now remotely piloted soldering machines in crawlspaces, that's interesting. I'm not quite a plumber, but there is a lot of commercial and industrial work, I'm not sure the percent of the jobs however.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Reverand maynard posted:

so I was having dinner with my family and my uncle (who is an engineer and has been using the non lovely lightbulbs for years) got into a really big argument over loving lightbulbs with his father in law. Watching an old rich white dude getting upset that someone would use cost efficient, energy efficient lightbulbs was loving bizarre. He's also very vocally for fracking.

It's almost as though intergenerational disputes force their way into any and all contexts

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Oh, so it's like the "pro-Russian rebels" in Ukraine that totally aren't Russian regulars? Got it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

psydude posted:

America's millions of truck drivers and the lovely podunk towns they depend on would like a word with you. Even if we don't achieve 100% autonamous vehicles in the next ten years, you can bet your rear end trucking companies will be asking themselves why they should pay much above minimum wage for a glorified babysitter as lane-assist is perfected.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Are you from an alternate universe? I have no idea where you're getting this unless you view 10 years as significant.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Is your job moderate to expensive uneducated labor? Congrats, you're going to get automated.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Trucks will probably be automated before anything else, to be honest. That, and maybe fast food.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

psydude posted:

Trucks will probably be automated before anything else, to be honest. That, and maybe fast food.

They already have automated trucks - they're called trains. I'm with you, though, that over the road long haul stuff is probably most likely to be automated first. Endpoint driving, though, is just as far off as cars.

And fast food could be fully automated as it is.

Cugel the Clever posted:

America's millions of truck drivers and the lovely podunk towns they depend on would like a word with you. Even if we don't achieve 100% autonamous vehicles in the next ten years, you can bet your rear end trucking companies will be asking themselves why they should pay much above minimum wage for a glorified babysitter as lane-assist is perfected.

Are you from an alternate universe? I have no idea where you're getting this unless you view 10 years as significant.

Driverless cars are not 10 years down the road because we still aren't anywhere near close to the cognition necessarily to truly be autonomous. Current tech only works (when it does actually work) on very well marked roads and very well defined routes. American roads are poo poo, our signage is poo poo, and it would take massive amounts of storage to manually code every troublesome intersection that the rudimentary software cannot handle. Various parts of cars will continue to have computer control to assist drivers, though. The stuff we're rolling out now is definitely cool and the safety features will save lives, but we're nowhere near having driverless cars that can actually drive anywhere and do so safely.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Fucker's got moxie, I like him. Skip to 3:00.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/870399535884902402

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Hexyflexy posted:

Being drunk is fine in this day and age, and you're pretty much correct. The U.S. is weird, speaking as an English dude. It probably has the most free and best form of governance on the planet, kind of. It has the downside that the system has some serious security holes, it turns out if you can buy up enough of the media you can persuade enough people to go along with things that blatantly aren't true or correct, and dump your society in a hole. It also has a culture outside of the big cities that is deeply rooted in old agriculture / agrarian society. Like most of us in Europe used to be.

I still think you lot will sort yourselves out though, just might take a while.

All of our stupidest and worst citizens will be dying en masse soon, and good news! Because our healthcare outcomes are so bad their life expectancy is actually going down in TYOOL 2017.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
RIP our breathable air.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

RIP our breathable air.

One step closer to our Space Balls' future.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Let Them Eat JDAMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

One step closer to our Space Balls' future.

I'll get you an engineering quote for lets say, $5 Billion.

• Locked thread