Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Good article (in English) about Russia Today (RT) by Moscow Times.

https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/welcome-to-the-machine-inside-the-secretive-world-of-rt-58132

I love the last paragraph, basically that they're glad that there was apathy and unprofessionalism rampant in the organization, lest it be an even more powerful propaganda machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

It's almost as though intergenerational disputes force their way into any and all contexts
no this is just a rich old farmer who still lives in 1920s america because he owns the local bank and general store and is pretty much the sole employer for a town of 100 people

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Police body cam footage from Pulse Night Club shooting was released.

also lol driverless cars and trucks are so far off in the future its not even funny. That poo poo is closer to 50 years down the line than 10. also, you'll take my control of my car away from me over my cold dead body, theres no loving way i trust an autonomous car ever and i bet that attitude is prevalent in the population. \

i like Macron i like.

I hope you have enjoyed this stream of consciousness post as I drink in the shithole that is the Atlanta Airport.

NEws:

quote:

Walmart is asking employees to deliver packages on their way home from work

BENTONVILLE, ARK. — Walmart’s newest tactic in its fight against online giant Amazon: enlisting its employees to deliver online orders on their way home from work.

The idea, Walmart executives said Thursday, is to cut costs on the so-called last-mile of deliveries, when packages are driven to customers’ homes, often the most expensive part of the fulfillment process.

“It just makes sense: We already have trucks moving orders from fulfillment centers to stores for pickup,” Marc Lore, chief executive of Walmart’s e-commerce business and the founder of Jet.com, said in a blog post Thursday afternoon. “Those same trucks could be used to bring ship-to-home orders to a store close to their final destination, where a participating associate can sign up to deliver them to the customer’s house.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/06/01/walmart-is-asking-employees-to-deliver-packages-on-their-way-home-from-work/
Views:

LOL

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/870407981044834304

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Well it's a good thing labor protections are so robust in this country or an idea like this meeting reality might quickly devolve into "do this or your fired" with something like 32 cents per package payment to employees.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Wonder if walmart will cover insurance if you're in an accident while delivering packages "on your way home" lol

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I like the way he pronounces engineers.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Waroduce posted:

Wonder if walmart will cover insurance if you're in an accident while delivering packages "on your way home" lol

two words: independent contractor

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I feel like I need to mention this every time worker's rights are discussed and never do.

Harlan County, USA

If you think the history of coal mining in America is cool and good, watch this documentary. If you're still convinced it's heaven on Earth in coal country I strongly encourage you to visit some "jewel" coal towns of the 1940s and 50s in West Virginia and Kentucky. That industry is dead to what it once was, and even rising coal prices and the ability to burn it here or sell it overseas will not rescue those communities.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.0a7f946a2791

Kushner is megafucked. The white house story for why Kushner met with the head of a Russian bank in December was that it was a non-business related diplomatic meeting in anticipation of his position as a white house advisor.

The head of the bank, which immediately flew back to Russia and met with Putin after if travel records are correct, has said that the meeting was entirely non-diplomatic and focused entirely instead on Kushner's family business.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Waroduce posted:

Not likely, most personal auto policies exclude coverages if you're delivering packages for pay for your employer.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Yes because your employer should be insuring you in that situation.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
As long as you can prove you're on the clock, your employer is liable, especially if it's delivery poo poo.

What's gonna be hosed up is when walmart expects its employees to clock out before leaving for a delivery. Gonna be another decade long class-action lawsuit about that alone. Probably because it will be policy that managers clock employees out as soon as they leave the store.

I loving hate walmart, and all of Arkansas that birthed it and the Waltons. Let's just soak the entirety of Arkansas in gasoline and let a match sort it out.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I wonder when a Walmart employee will snap and shoot their manager.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

As long as you can prove you're on the clock, your employer is liable, especially if it's delivery poo poo.

Sounds like America needs some Worker's Comp reform!

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Well about that

https://www.google.com/search?q=wal...mobile&ie=UTF-8

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

I probably should have looked it up. Frankly, I'm disappointed no one's waited for a visit from some corporate schmuck and shot him. With an off the rack Remington 12 gauge from the outdoors department.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Yeah okay.

Macron is the manifestation of Hillary Clinton's PR countenance in a man's body, which is to say a source of excitement for a small group of people whose opinions and intentions are already known and consistently undermined.

Automated driving is 5 to 10 years away. Trucks definitely, cars per city.

Toxx me, doxx me, just don't diss my moxie.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
AI is moving along fast enough that I'd agree with 5-10 years. At least in terms of interstates and large highways. Cities are probably going to depend on when they decide to spend money to make all the safe space poo poo work, but the worst part about driving will generally be covered.

And truck drivers only make what the road allows. Most start with companies paying $0.30-0.40/mile. Get hung in traffic for a day and burn all your hours trying to crawl a hundred miles, and you ain't making dick for the day, let alone averaging minimum wage. For some OTR, minimum wage might be a pay increase. Also gently caress 70-80 hour work weeks, because if you're not working that many hours, you are paying no bills.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder when a Walmart employee will snap and shoot their manager.

lmao like they pay them enough to buy a gun or a bullet

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Zeris posted:

Automated driving is 5 to 10 years away. Trucks definitely, cars per city.

Toxx me, doxx me, just don't diss my moxie.

Two things that keep being omitted from the argument over how far off automated driving is..

1 - tech jump. Technology grows exponentially. And inside of that has explosions. Someone is 6 months to a year away from finding something that sets off a grenade of innovation. Add that to the already steady growth, automated driving is not that far off. People used covered wagons to settle Kansas in 1900, we landed a man on the moon in 1969. To think that we can go from lane and parking assist to automated driving in 5-10 years isn't ridiculous. Especially when you consider....

2 - The loving poo poo tons of money companies will spend to put people out of work. Walmart, major shipping companies, any group that spends a significant amount of money on long haul trucking will fire up one of their $100 bill printing presses and start filling dump trucks with cash to whoever shows a viable proof of concept. That influx of cash will feed point one because development companies now have a bunch of capitol to feed into R&D, and you wind up with an Ouroboros of screwing truckers.

Nothing will stop or hinder the development of automated driving. The only thing that will slow the transition is lawyers and lawsuits challenging the lines of fault in the event of incidents and regulations.

The only possible monkey wrench is a handful of companies figuring out they can bypass it by dumping a bunch of money into lobbying for massive railway improvements and expansion. Essentially making the tax payers foot the bill for a massive high speed rail system. Which if you are really good at forward thinking, you do that, push the government to make it a federal entity instead of private, and then lobby again for some stupidly low freight rate.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Waroduce posted:

Police body cam footage from Pulse Night Club shooting was released.

also lol driverless cars and trucks are so far off in the future its not even funny. That poo poo is closer to 50 years down the line than 10. also, you'll take my control of my car away from me over my cold dead body, theres no loving way i trust an autonomous car ever and i bet that attitude is prevalent in the population. \

i like Macron i like.

I hope you have enjoyed this stream of consciousness post as I drink in the shithole that is the Atlanta Airport.

NEws:

Views:

LOL

I want to live in a world where ai cars drive me home from work while I sit in the back seat and smoke weed

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i think drones are the future instead of automated cars for shipping.

jade helm 2027 is gonna be bananas with all the drones carrying "shipping goods"

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Note the work environment, it is on a big field. Now remotely piloted soldering machines in crawlspaces, that's interesting. I'm not quite a plumber, but there is a lot of commercial and industrial work, I'm not sure the percent of the jobs however.

These exist. I applied for a field service engineer position at a company that has them some time last year. They go inside the big gently caress off pipes and scrape and weld, fix and patch. It's nuts.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Reverand maynard posted:

I want to live in a world where ai cars drive me home from work while I sit in the back seat and smoke weed
I want an ai car that can dress me while I'm still asleep and drop me off at the office a few minutes before I'm supposes to start work.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I hope there's a forums app for my car.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I probably should have looked it up. Frankly, I'm disappointed no one's waited for a visit from some corporate schmuck and shot him. With an off the rack Remington 12 gauge from the outdoors department.

Knowing Remington it probably wouldn't have worked.

Truth be told out of the all the future car stuff I've seen in movies recently. I think Logan had the most plausible near future. Trucks doing circuits with cargo but not passengers.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.0a7f946a2791

Kushner is megafucked. The white house story for why Kushner met with the head of a Russian bank in December was that it was a non-business related diplomatic meeting in anticipation of his position as a white house advisor.

The head of the bank, which immediately flew back to Russia and met with Putin after if travel records are correct, has said that the meeting was entirely non-diplomatic and focused entirely instead on Kushner's family business.

This sounds like a good strategy for taking down the orange turd himself. Thoroughly deep-dick everyone around him without legal protection of being president. Probably the very first case like this turns up all kinds of good poo poo on the big guy himself and just let it turn into a legal Katamari rolling around crushing everyone.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The best people! You will be sooo tired of winning!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

I want an ai car that can dress me while I'm still asleep and drop me off at the office a few minutes before I'm supposes to start work.

Sure would be nice if all of these productivity gains went towards fewer working hours.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Sure would be nice if all of these productivity gains went towards fewer working hours.

Lol

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
As someone who used to work in a call center doing roadside assist for truckers, their replacement, be it drones or automated vehicles, can't come soon enough. I have never worked with a group of such entitled loving babies who demanded I kowtow to their wishes before or since, and I'm including junior officers and SNCOs. The sooner they have to stand in an unemployment line, hats in hand, begging for welfare they voted against in every election since it existed, the better. gently caress 'em.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Well... When you aren't working and can't get a job for your skillset...

I am glad that no one will ever be asking, "Why haven't we automated fire departments yet?" At least in the near future.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Softface posted:

As someone who used to work in a call center doing roadside assist for truckers, their replacement, be it drones or automated vehicles, can't come soon enough. I have never worked with a group of such entitled loving babies who demanded I kowtow to their wishes before or since, and I'm including junior officers and SNCOs. The sooner they have to stand in an unemployment line, hats in hand, begging for welfare they voted against in every election since it existed, the better. gently caress 'em.

As someone who used to phone into call centers for support and assistance, their replacement, be it foreigners or automated prompts, can't come soon enough. I have never worked with a group of such entitled loving babies who demanded I kowtow to their wishes before or since, and I'm including junior officers and SNCOs. The sooner they have to stand in an unemployment line, hats in hand, begging for welfare they voted against in every election since it existed, the better. gently caress 'em.

/s

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

And truck drivers only make what the road allows. Most start with companies paying $0.30-0.40/mile. Get hung in traffic for a day and burn all your hours trying to crawl a hundred miles, and you ain't making dick for the day, let alone averaging minimum wage. For some OTR, minimum wage might be a pay increase.

:lol: This never happens. I work in logistics and if you only make it 100 miles in 10 hours you're a loving liar and blew your entire fuel advance on cocaine and got the cops called on you because the GPS on your truck shows you haven't moved in 24 hours from a truck stop just outside of St. Louis.

Don't ask.

Softface posted:

gently caress 'em.

Drivers are the worst goddamn part of my job.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I work in anti-money laundering and lmao at fake truckers

YES EYE YAM GRIGORY TRUKDRIVEYAN PLEEZ CASH CHECK NO NEED TO VERIFY FUNDS

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Carteret posted:

:lol: This never happens. I work in logistics and if you only make it 100 miles in 10 hours you're a loving liar

I mean, it's taken me 3 hours to move from North Seattle through Olympia before.

Edit: gently caress, if there's an accident on I-5, it'll take you two hours to make it through Seattle alone. Or poo poo, Tacoma if there's an accident, or poo poo, JBLM around "getting off work" time sometimes. Especially around holidays when people go on leave at the same goddamn time.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Good news!

Staff hours are being cut. You are now part time. The rest of your department is being shifted to per diem.

Since you are being moved to part time you don't qualify for benefits. Also, to adhere to our just implemented new pay structure for part time staff, you are making $1.25 am hour less.

• Locked thread