Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bit late for coal jobs chat, but yeah, the whole thing is a farce. No one cared about coal jobs going away when it was due to automation - we were digging out more coal with fewer workers, and coal companies were doing great. But now that there's an actual decline in coal production and bottom lines are being threatened, coal workers are suddenly sacred cows that need veneration and protection (p.s. - please give us subsidies. signed, coal companies).

The "piss off liberals thing" is an offshoot of that. The conservative media and politicians who take marching orders from industries including extraction drum it up as a popular cover, and it becomes a cultural thing rather than a financial thing.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

crazyivan45 posted:

They need to send astronauts to Memphis to practice driving on the surface of the moon. This city destroyed the suspension on two of my cars in under a year. Instead of fixing pot holes the city just throws giant 2inch thick metal plates over them. Because hitting one of those fuckers at 50mph doesn't have any negative repercussions

Pro-tip: leave Memphis

Reference: 5 years of living there.

gently caress that city. The only recourse left is to burn it to the ground.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Eh. I've been here 9 years. Its a shithole city but its my shithole city. It's got that nice third world failed state feel but the dollar is still the currency and people speak a type of english

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The "piss of liberals thing" is an offshoot of that. The conservative media and politicians who take marching orders from industries including extraction drum it up as a popular cover, and it becomes a cultural thing rather than a financial thing.

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/870453571665506305

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Lou Dobbs is right

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
What is a globalist?

Do they hide their inner workings and finances from public scrutiny as they display logos somewhere in Lower Manhattan?

Do they do their banking in the Cayman Islands, Switzerland and Asia?

Pretty sure its one of the worst pot-calling-the-kettle-black instances among all this conservative garbage I wish someone could write one comprehensive book on. Not to mention it feels like you could just replace the term with "the Jews" and you'd basically have the same conspiratorial poo poo.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Peetown Manning posted:

What is a globalist?

Pretty sure its one of the worst pot-calling-the-kettle-black instances among all this conservative garbage I wish someone could write one comprehensive book on. Not to mention it feels like you could just replace the term with "the Jews" and you'd basically have the same conspiratorial poo poo.

Globalist is the new term for 'Jewish' people without calling them Jews

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Peetown Manning posted:

What is a globalist?

Do they hide their inner workings and finances from public scrutiny as they display logos somewhere in Lower Manhattan?

Do they do their banking in the Cayman Islands, Switzerland and Asia?

Imagine if countries were people. Globalism is interracial couples.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I'm curious about the term 'DIMMS' myself. I know prices for RAM are going up due to the foundries switching to DDR4, but I don't know how that is relevant to the discussion.

I know they probably mean Democrats, but that already has the shorter abbreviation 'Dems', so it seems weird to invent another one that makes less sense.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Looks like Pruitt is having a trial run at Spicer's job. He's deflecting more than the Heisman trophy.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

crazyivan45 posted:

Eh. I've been here 9 years. Its a shithole city but its my shithole city. It's got that nice third world failed state feel but the dollar is still the currency and people speak a type of english

We could call this Memphis Syndrome, but Stockholm beat us to it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Alright, how many of you fucks are from Memphis? Did someone strap a giant magnet to the city that attracts ex-mil types?

I have no love for a place where it's physically possible to wake up with sweaty balls because the humidity is so loving high, even with the AC on.

Haven't seen one 90 degree day yet in Colorado and the humidity is always like, 20-30% here.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
https://twitter.com/francediplo_EN/status/870699642509512704

:captainpop:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Trump Administration is so toxic that the only family members willing to take part are his own.

https://twitter.com/CoganSchneier/status/870711867441688576

Also, if you're concerned about Donnie playing the executive privilege game with Comey, it's unlikely. By yammering about it on twitter, he basically waived the executive privilege claim. Best he can do is delay it a few days/weeks if he throws up a poo poo legal argument that gets immediately tossed out. Then, Comey gets two days of coverage instead of just one, plus Donnie looks guilty as hell.

https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/870663158628745220

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Globalist is the new term for 'Jewish' people without calling them Jews

It's this. That's why a Brooklyn high school teacher can be a globalist while Peter Thiel flying from New Zealand to Davos on his private jet is not.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Oh man, shots fired. When did this bold new France happen? I'm digging it, kinda like a eurotrash Canada.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Peetown Manning posted:

Not to mention it feels like you could just replace the term with "the Jews" and you'd basically have the same conspiratorial poo poo.

Ya did it Manning, ya cracked the code.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

The Trump Administration is so toxic that the only family members willing to take part are his own.

https://twitter.com/CoganSchneier/status/870711867441688576

Eh, I think its more like Kellyanne telling her husband to run far away. I haven't seen her face in a while now.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Reverand maynard posted:

Eh, I think its more like Kellyanne telling her husband to run far away. I haven't seen her face in a while now.

msnbc and cnn have stopped asking her to come on afaik

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Spicy is next in line to jump ship, followed closely by Kushner taking a extended 'vacation'..

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

BigDave posted:

Spicy is next in line to jump ship, followed closely by Kushner taking a extended 'vacation'..

Once enough staff have jumped ship can we wall off the white house, turn it into a giant Truman Show and hold another election?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I'm amazed and saddened it took them as long as it did. Trump toadies spewing meaningless bullshit all over the country like word salad bukaki got really loving old really loving fast.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/Chemzes/status/870679949174124546

holy gently caress lol

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Is this a real ad? Hahahaha

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Take everything of mine and my kids'...just promise you'll gently caress poor people into the dirt

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Zeris posted:

Take everything of mine and my kids'...just promise you'll gently caress poor people into the dirt

:same:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I really hope Trump does try to prevent Comey's testimony. No move could make him look guiltier besides a full confession.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Buca di Bepis posted:

I really hope Trump does try to prevent Comey's testimony. No move could make him look guiltier besides a full confession.

Really, he can't do much to stop it now. That's the whole point of an independant investigation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Really, he can't do much to stop it now. That's the whole point of an independant investigation.

Somehow I doubt that will stop him from trying.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Buca di Bepis posted:

And what will happen if he does

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

TBeats posted:

Not satisfied with being just President, Trump signs executive order electing himself 'God-Emperor.' Reached for comment, Senator McCain, claims that he disagrees, but that the President is allowed to do that and there is no further resistance. All hail, Emperor Trump.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

TBeats posted:

John McCain will be deeply concerned.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

TBeats posted:

Shocking revelations that Trump tried to recruit Comey into a Russian spy ring that also worships Satan and eats babies.

Fox News will claim that this is perfectly normal behavior for a new President and that CNN is fake news.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

John McCain will be deeply concerned.

Need a website that just has John McCain's picture, a list of times he's been concerned, and a box that ticks up whenever he does something concrete about the concern rather than informing the media he is concerned.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Someone whip up Isjohnmccainconcerned.com with a big ole comic sans YES

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
The McCainConcernClock will be the new Doomsday clock

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

joat mon posted:

The McCainConcernClock will be the new Doomsday clock

And the McCainDidSomethingAboutItClock will remain at 23 hours, 59 minutes 'til midnight, eternally.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Trump is 3 weeks into looking for a new FBI director, and is still having troubles finding one.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-justice-fbi-idUSKBN18T2S8?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social

Reuters posted:

President Donald Trump is still looking for a new FBI director more than three weeks after he fired James Comey, and sources familiar with the recruiting process say it has been chaotic and that job interviews led by Trump have been brief.

Three close associates of three contenders for the job, all of whom have been interviewed by Trump, said the candidates were summoned to the White House for 10- to 20-minute conversations with Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Those conversations, which followed initial interviews at the Justice Department, have been light on questions about substantive issues facing the agency, the three associates said.

While the department has compiled a long list of candidates for the White House, there has been no “clear framework or logic for who was interviewed and why,” said one of the sources.

Another of the three sources described the process as chaotic and said that in one interview, Trump spoke mostly about himself and seemed distracted.

The White House declined to comment on the nature of the interview process. Spokesman Sean Spicer said on Friday that Trump continues to meet with candidates but would not give a timeline for choosing a nominee.

On May 18, Trump told reporters he was "very close" to sending a nomination for a new director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation to the Senate. At the time, former Senator Joe Lieberman was a front-runner for the post. He withdrew his name from consideration on May 25.

At least a dozen other people have been under consideration, according to a White House spokeswoman, but not all have been interviewed by Trump.

Republican Representative Trey Gowdy was under consideration but he said on May 15 he was not interested.

The next day, Republican Senator John Cornyn, also a contender, said he would stay in the Senate.

Spicer said on Tuesday that Trump planned to meet that afternoon with John Pistole, a former deputy director of the FBI and head of the Transportation Security Administration, and Chris Wray, former head of the Justice Department's criminal division.

The White House has said Trump also interviewed Lieberman, former Oklahoma Governor Frank Keating, acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe and former FBI official Richard McFeely.

Trump reportedly told Russian officials during a visit to the White House on May 10 that firing Comey the previous day relieved "great pressure" the president was feeling from an investigation of possible ties between his election campaign team and Russian officials.

The New York Times first reported that, in his remarks to the Russians, Trump called Comey "crazy, a real nut job."

Trump has denied any collusion between Russia and his presidential campaign. He has repeatedly questioned the U.S. intelligence finding that Russian President Vladimir Putin directed an operation intended to swing the election in Trump's favor against Democratic rival Hillary Clinton.

Russia has repeatedly denied any effort to interfere in the U.S. election, but Putin said on Thursday some Russians might have acted on their own without their government's involvement.

Comey is set to testify on Thursday before the Senate Intelligence Committee in open session and in private. Comey will reportedly talk about pressure from Trump that he drop his investigation into former national security advisor Michael Flynn.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I hate to just post a tweet without a story but

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/870755480846651392

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

I hate to just post a tweet without a story but

I came here to post that exact tweet, but I need a snotty name for Manafort, like I have for the Racist Perjury Elf.

Also, it looks like Mueller is out for blood and if there's shady poo poo, he'll find it.

• Locked thread