Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Looks like Mueller's found a trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wasn't Manafort the final dungeon of Secret of Mana?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

facialimpediment posted:

I came here to post that exact tweet, but I need a snotty name for Manafort, like I have for the Racist Perjury Elf.

quote:

During the Dole convention, colleagues nicknamed Manafort “the Count” after the Count of Monte Cristo for his dashing manner and winning ways.

I say we call him 'The Sandwich'. Or 'The CRunt'.

Edit: Nope, The Sandwich is better.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://apnews.com/749ff6ea249942d28070c80aefdccf45/The-Latest:-Special-counsel

There's the article. Essentially, the Manafort FBI case regarding his Ukraine poo poo predated the Trump/Russia FBI probe. Mueller is simply consolidating and absorbing the case into his investigation. He may be absorbing investigations into Sessions and Rosenstein as well.

modedit: fixed url

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 2, 2017

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Probably late to the party but it bears repeating

Valerius Maximus posted:

Here is a case where the desire for glory was sacrilegious. For a man was found who wished to set fire to the temple of Diana at Ephesus, so that by the ruination of a most beautiful structure his name would be published across the entire world. This madness of his mind he disclosed while sitting on his colt. And the Ephesians had well decreed that the memory of this most repulsive man should be obliterated – but Theopompus, the genius of great eloquence, included him in his Histories.

:smugdon:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Fister Roboto posted:

Wasn't Manafort the final dungeon of Secret of Mana?

I loved that game. So much that I played it through again on an SNES emulator last year.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Nunes is dumb as hell.

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/870773352021073920

He keeps trying to deflect the Russia poo poo with "unmasking" bullshit and he was one of the ones requesting the unmasking himself.

And next week is going to be a news tornado. Deputy AG Rosenstein will be testifying to Congress on Wednesday about FISA poo poo. I'm sure he will get some Comey questions. http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rosenstein-to-testify-next-week/ar-BBBQ4DB?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

my kinda ape posted:

I took this pic the other day of some newly poured concrete in the lane next to me while I was stopped in traffic. I'm no expert but I don't think it's supposed to be that way??

Grover would sign off on it

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Probably late to the party but it bears repeating

:smugdon:

That's a beautiful bit of history. Much like bread and circuses and Nero watching Rome burn.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Trump just nominated Richard Spencer for Secretary of Navy.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Sergg posted:

so loving glad im not in

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Sergg posted:

Ok, so we're not as far down the crazy bug gently caress rabbit hole as I thought. My immediate reaction was "you mean that punched Nazi? Yeah sure why the hell not it's 2017 and I can see Trump doing it just to 'make liberals mad' "

Apparently it is not the same guy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/deray/status/870848708308590592

:stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Sergg posted:

Reported for coquetting with everyone's fears, you loving apocalyptic cock-tease t:mad:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Sergg posted:

Welp guess we're getting lots of submarines then

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I actually had to double-check too, just to make sure it wasn't the Nazi, because that sounded completely plausible. My first thought was "Hmph, I didn't know that the Nazi guy was a Navy vet."

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sergg posted:

I actually had to double-check too, just to make sure it wasn't the Nazi, because that sounded completely plausible. My first thought was "Hmph, I didn't know that the Nazi guy was a Navy vet."

Like having any experience in the field is a requirement for this administration

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Professor Bling posted:

Like having any experience in the field is a requirement for this administration

Betsy DeVos.
Scott Pruit.
Ben Carson.
Rick Perry.

Experience in the field isn't a requirement for this administration, it's a liability.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It seems like a lot of the people Trump is appointing to these military oriented positions (secretary of army, navy, etc) are ex-military in the private sector, rather than career military. Is that typical? (honest question)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/870960126210998272

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It seems like a lot of the people Trump is appointing to these military oriented positions (secretary of army, navy, etc) are ex-military in the private sector, rather than career military. Is that typical? (honest question)

Yes, although the most recent secnavs from Obama and Bush were ex-military with smart people jobs like ambassador or physicist, not investment bankers.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Trump is so brilliant and playing 22nd dimensional chess that he forced Maher to be a terrible person? gently caress me talk about delusional.

Hey guys I'm so God drat awesome I'm going to make the sun rise tomorrow morning. Watch out for my awesomeness. Totally awesome dude here. Out of my way snow flake, you can't handle this!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nobody has given much of a poo poo about Maher in years and his show will probably stay on because his fan base has the same "can't see the forest with all these trees in the way" mentality, just from the west coast instead of Kansas.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

bird food bathtub posted:

Ok, so we're not as far down the crazy bug gently caress rabbit hole as I thought. My immediate reaction was "you mean that punched Nazi? Yeah sure why the hell not it's 2017 and I can see Trump doing it just to 'make liberals mad' "

Apparently it is not the same guy.

I think it's at least possible Trump thought they were the same guy.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Kathy Griffin: man I really hosed up...

Bill Maher: hold my beer

loving idiots.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Kathy Griffin isn't losing any fans over her poo poo either, even though she lost her once a year CNN gig.

Her stand up specials are okay, if you can tolerate her voice and pace, but it's a lot of Bravo talk from what I remember, so bitchy/catty.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
But now we have to listen to the right paint this d list dumb gently caress celebrity as the face of the liberal elite movement. Which also means more of having to see her

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Meh. She's equally annoying to me as most of Trump's staff, if not slightly less.

Besides, she's D list. She'll be in the big public eye long enough to get another Bravo talk show and the rest of the world will carry on ignoring her.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
This article is generating a lot of attention I think: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/lo...m=.148c2598899a

I've shared several similar articles that explore "dying" American rural areas and I've felt a mix of disgust and pity for the people every time. This one I feel genuine sorry for. No idea how the hell you fix this. Hopefully one of the kids can break the cycle and get a half way decent job or something

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Goddamn, depressing as hell. A cycle of suck.

So, here's a pallette cleanser.

https://twitter.com/vicenews/status/871010358051323905

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
No real solution as long as they keep voting "gently caress me, just be sure you gently caress THOSE sort of people harder". The solutions exist, they just refuse to accept them and instead go whole hog on sinking into the past and ignoring any efforts to fix things.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FastestGunAlive posted:

This article is generating a lot of attention I think: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/lo...m=.148c2598899a

I've shared several similar articles that explore "dying" American rural areas and I've felt a mix of disgust and pity for the people every time. This one I feel genuine sorry for. No idea how the hell you fix this. Hopefully one of the kids can break the cycle and get a half way decent job or something

The kids grew up having grandma tell them constantly that they're autistic and presumably blaming their mother (who is a whole other depressing story - mosaic syndrome and 4 kids) as the reason why. They're growing up believing pain pills can bring a dead dog back to life (they thought it was dead at the time) and their household swallows more pills than a pharmacist with pica. The article touches on it - the kids' SSDI checks are the difference between "manageable poverty and crushing poverty" and since granny is basically the head of household because mom's downs for the count, she's trying to pass them off as autistic to get like an extra $1200 a month in SSDI. It doesn't help that poverty and insular rural living causes mental decay and emotional dysfunction on its own, but the grandmother loving raises them like you'd "raise" stray dogs. Ok, feed them a couple times a day, pet them when they're friendly, yell if they get rowdy, but ultimately ignore them if you get overwhelmed. So she retreats to her opioids and soap operas turned up to full blast to drown them out.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

bird food bathtub posted:

No real solution as long as they keep voting "gently caress me, just be sure you gently caress THOSE sort of people harder". The solutions exist, they just refuse to accept them and instead go whole hog on sinking into the past and ignoring any efforts to fix things.

My initial assumption as well but the article doesn't touch on their voting record or political tendency. Probably why I feel some sympathy for them as opposed to the dude from last month's article on King's district who literally started off his anti obama speech with "I'm not a racist but"

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

FastestGunAlive posted:

gently caress these people are pathetic rear end losers

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

The kids grew up having grandma tell them constantly that they're autistic and presumably blaming their mother (who is a whole other depressing story - mosaic syndrome and 4 kids) as the reason why. They're growing up believing pain pills can bring a dead dog back to life (they thought it was dead at the time) and their household swallows more pills than a pharmacist with pica. The article touches on it - the kids' SSDI checks are the difference between "manageable poverty and crushing poverty" and since granny is basically the head of household because mom's downs for the count, she's trying to pass them off as autistic to get like an extra $1200 a month in SSDI. It doesn't help that poverty and insular rural living causes mental decay and emotional dysfunction on its own, but the grandmother loving raises them like you'd "raise" stray dogs. Ok, feed them a couple times a day, pet them when they're friendly, yell if they get rowdy, but ultimately ignore them if you get overwhelmed. So she retreats to her opioids and soap operas turned up to full blast to drown them out.

The article also notes that the twin boys maintain mostly Cs and Ds in school. They also spend almost all their waking hours watching TV and playing video games while the rest of the family tries to ignore them.

It really is sad.

A few years back, a psychiatrist posted a primer on SSI (the disability coverage for people who have never held down a job, as opposed to SSDI). For someone who's never worked, it's not overly difficult to get on the SSI rolls, and it's become society's way of writing off a progressively larger portion of the population, with the wink-wink-nudge-nudge fiction that the system can't be gamed. Better not call it welfare, either. After all, only losers are on welfare, right? And the salt-of-the-earth types aren't losers, no sir. It's got to be called disability.

Rather, the intent of the system is to be gamed. The symptoms of life in crippling poverty are close enough to hereditary mental illness that SSI is meant to be used for both. Get enough people living in the same house on SSI, and you can pay all the bills, just as long as you're willing to chow down on drug cocktails and keep your kids borderline illiterate. But hell if anybody running the SSI program will admit it.

The family in the WaPo article tried. It may have even been unintentional. Maybe they really do think the boys are disabled. But that extra $1,128 is a hell of an incentive for them to believe it. They just didn't try hard enough. Maybe they'll try a couple years of homeschooling? That's gotten popular as a way of setting kids up for SSI. It's a whole lot easier to convince a shrink that a kid's retarded when they can't read or write, or think critically.

The original post was pulled, but it was archived here. The whole SSI system is well intentioned, but horrifying in its implementation.

http://web.archive.org/web/20140411002758/http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2010/11/the_terrible_awful_truth_about_1.html

Edit:

article posted:

The system isn't flawed, it isn't easily gamed: it is set up this way on purpose. The government wants you to get SSI, because it wants you off the state welfare budget and onto the federal budget, which, as you know, has unlimited funds because it can run deficits, print money, and invade nations and invent words.

In 2009 SSI paid 8M people about $45B. 60% of those under 65 had a "mental disorder." Did many have a legitimate disorder? Sure. Whatever. But when the system ties benefits to a mental disorder, the point is the benefits, not the mental disorder.

What you should be asking is why, if society has decided to give the poor a stipend of $600/month, does it do this through the medical establishment and not as a traditional social policy? And the answer is very simple:

you, America, would go bananas if poor people got money for nothing, you can barely stand it when they get it for a disability;
if you offload a social problem to medicine, if you medicalize a social problem, then you've bought yourself a generation or two to come up with a new plan or invade someone.

Do you want riots in the streets? How much does it cost to prevent LA (or the city of your choice) from catching fire? Answer: $600/month/person, plus Medicaid. Medicalizing social problems has the additional benefit of rendering society not responsible for those social ills. If it's a disease, it's nobody's fault. Yay empiricism.

Those who are arguing about the cost of healthcare or think that poor people are lying to get benefits are completely and utterly missing the point of the system. It wants this in the hands of doctors, because it would be toxic to everyone else. Can you imagine your Senator deciding who gets benefits and who doesn't?

And maybe these people get some meds as well. You know what counts as an outcome in inner city psychiatry? Guy doesn't punch his kid in the face. One less instance of domestic violence a month. "Well, goddam, I don't see those in the DSM-V. How much is that outcome going to cost us?" $600/month + Abilify+ Xanax + Celexa. But you then can pretend it doesn't exist.

IVb. Who Pays for SSI?

SSI is funded through income taxes. It does not come from Social Security taxes. Pause for effect. It is definitionally the redistribution of income.

In theory, SSI payments to a child (hey, ADHD counts) will be reduced if the child receives "unearned income"-- including child support payments. If you've ever wondered why deadbeat dads aren't more vigorously pursued by moms, that's it. (3)

The other reason is that a deadbeat dad who himself collects SSI isn't obligated to make child support payments. He's disabled, after all. Phew. The kid's the government's problem, which is now not a joke.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 3, 2017

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
How long until the new Navy secretary finance guy's ties to Russia are exposed?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I knew so many people growing up who were on disability. A lot of them did have legitimate injuries from working in construction or what have you, but could have worked in basically any other industry.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
So, what do you actually need in order to qualify for disability in the US?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Missionary Positron posted:

So, what do you actually need in order to qualify for disability in the US?

A lawyer

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Seems like all you need is a doctors note and a profound lack of self respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

FastestGunAlive posted:

Dying rural America?

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/21/us/50-years-into-the-war-on-poverty-hardship-hits-back.html

I got ya.

:smith:

• Locked thread