Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

Can the family take that cop to civil court? Kind of like an OJ situation?

They'd be stupid not to, the city already said they are firing the cop, and I doubt, especially with the new videos, that he'd stand a chance in civil court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Department has basically already admitted fault by firing him and releasing the videos which are damning. Either way, they have a very strong case.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I know QI pisses off a lot of people, but anyone who has worked for the government should understand why it is good law and absolutely correct.

No, frankly, we need to start holding officers personally liable. The whole focus on 'Support our Cops' crap has gone too far, where you can be a trained and disciplined officer and expected to be allowed to have less self-control than the citizens you are supposed to protect.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

No, we don't, because government officials in the course of their duties are acting on behalf of the state, not for their personal aggrandizement or enrichment, and the outsize power and authority they wield correctly belong to the state. If an IRS auditor makes a mistake and accidentally orders a million dollars seized from some poor schmuck's bank account, said schmuck should be able to sue the IRS to get his money back, but not the auditor, despite the pain and privation the schmuck no doubt experienced by being instantly broke. Someone who supervises millions of dollars of fines on behalf of the government is going to make a mistake eventually, but the government who told him to do that job and who directly benefits from his labor should be on the hook for liability, not able to back off and say "Hey buddy, what you do in the course of your official duties is on you. Better get a lawyer."

Similarly, a police officer didn't strap on a gun and decide to get up in motorists' business for personal benefit, he did it on behalf of a government. As long as his actions were incompetent rather than criminal, the liability should properly rest on the government that gave an incompetent person a badge and a gun.

Both of them are responsible. The idea that somehow the actual officer lacks individual responsibility is part of the reason we're in the mess we are

quote:

Seriously, holy poo poo, anyone who as ever held a position of any responsibility in the military ought to wake up in a cold sweat at the thought of being individually liable for decisions they had to make in the course of their duties. :psyduck:

This makes no sense. The idea that you are somehow not liable for your actions is baffling, because most officers ARE held liable for their actions. Its literally what the UCMJ is about.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Trey Gowdy has killed the House Oversight's Russia investigation.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/new_house_oversight_chairman_kills_off_committee_s_russia_investigation

Partially because of Mueller's investigation, but this is the guy who drove the Benghazi investigation for 28 months.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vasudus posted:

Trump never left campaign mode.

Most wannabe dictators don't.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

Well, gently caress.

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/879345664127193090

Travel ban at the Supreme Court now and some of the injunction has been lifted. Unclear how much of the injunction was lifted, too early to tell.

gently caress. We're going to hell in a handbasket.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

He's yelling about fake news after making a fake news magazine cover makes you think

Every single news story that does not cast him in a good light is fake news. Its baffling how anyone takes him seriously.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

I live in DC, right next to the Pentagon.

I'm hosed but at least it'll be quick. Also bonus I might get to become an NPC ghoul in a future fallout game.

You'll probably be the bartender.

I'm Northeast of Atlanta, behind a good hill, so unless I get a direct strike, I'm just taking a radioactive bath.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

business hammocks posted:

Did we mention this loving insane NRA ad that all but calls for the murder of protestors?

http://www.theroot.com/nra-recruitment-video-labels-the-left-violent-snowflake-1796479650

I can't find a way to embed the loving thing, but it's nuts. It's the purest attempt at American political propaganda I've seen in a long time.

https://www.facebook.com/NRA/videos/1605896562755373/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Can only imagine how 'concerned' a president McCain would've been.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

That reads like a gorilla we taught loving sign language to.

That's insulting to gorillas. They at least have empathy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ahahahahahaha, all that whining and violence over Keystone, and nobody even wants to touch it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
And, in a return to buisiness as usual in the US, Texas Supreme Court has ruled against a lower court ruling, saying that Same Sex couples are NOT entitled to the same marriage rights as hetero couples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I can totally imagine Aldrin muttering under his breathe as he shakes his head

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 1, 2017

• Locked thread