Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Piping in from the last thread to point out that Comey's testimony is not remotely hearsay and I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. Hearsay goes to the truth of the matter asserted not whether it was asserted.

i.e. "Donna told me Jim got home at 5" is hearsay if you're trying to use it to prove Jim got home at 5, it is not hearsay if you're trying to prove Donna made the statement that Jim got home at 5.

"Trump told me to bury the investigation" is never hearsay and all these exceptions are irrelevant.

I don't think anyone was trying to say Comey's experiences were hearsay? I think everyone was in agreement that it wasn't hearsay. Except maybe the nothing matters nihilism group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Looks like Michelle has warmed up to DC. The Obamas are buying the house they're renting in Kalorama.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/31/us/obama-buys-house-washington-kalorama.html?_r=0&referer=

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

And lol, as someone that's spent quite a bit of their life working on A.I. / automation software, we're so hosed in terms of working out how to provide jobs for people in the next 50 years it's beyond funny.

To an extent. Automation of the workforce is nothing new. Pilots and bus drivers will find themselves out of jobs in the next 50 years, but people working in skilled trades will remain employed because we're nowhere close to having AI capable of soldering pipes or wiring up a breaker panel.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Trucks will probably be automated before anything else, to be honest. That, and maybe fast food.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I knew so many people growing up who were on disability. A lot of them did have legitimate injuries from working in construction or what have you, but could have worked in basically any other industry.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

He's a representative of how stupid the American people are. Thankfully, the Popular Vote shows that the majority of the American people still recognize an idiot when they see one.

Or the US more generally. He's a 70 year old morbidly obese man who watches Fox News religiously and is too out of shape to keep up with Europeans on a walk.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Something like 20 legislative seats in VA are unopposed, despite some of them going to Warner/Clinton. There's quite a few grassroots organizations that are funding people to run against the incumbents this year.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Are phishing scams super hard to detect now or something? They still point to a website that isn't actually google/apple/whatever, so are people just not checking these things when they work in really secure places?

They've gotten more creative. The bulk are still dumb and obvious as poo poo, but nation-state actors and serious criminals can pair them with DNS hijacking, stolen certificates, and other techniques to make it difficult to detect when a website is not legitimate.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

cowboy elvis posted:

So this is the evidence right? Like no more rumors, this is legit as legit gets?

Pfft, you wish. The Deep State is keeping us all in the dark!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

joat mon posted:

No, yes. But as a political and practical matter, I doubt it'll happen, even in this timeline.

I like racist perjury elf (the appellation, not the person)

Doesn't reneging on or violating the spirit of a recusal open him up to being disbarred?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He's been okay in my books since he was in Obama's lame duck film.

e: Trump has really made me appreciate my Republican friends and colleagues who I don't necessarily agree with on everything political, but I can at least trust are rational human beings who actually want the best for the country.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Costa, you're just tipping off his legal counsel.

Good thing they can't even shut him up.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

I won't be able to watch the Comey hearing, I am sure GiP will live update. Should we make its own thread?

Same. I'll be in a customer meeting all day, and I think it's in a SCIF :(

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

To be honest, I wasn't expecting too much from Comey. I think he's going to be muted to a degree so as not to impair Mueller's investigation.

It's Trump's reaction to it that I was/am looking forward to.

I thought his lawyer said he has been told there are no restrictions? Which probably means it's going to be a letdown.

Either way, it's wasting another week of Trump's time in office. Which is a good thing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

WaPo is running a story today about how Trump asked the DNI to intervene in the Flynn investigation, not just try to downplay it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.5cba9e67b77d

The White House referred the reporters to Trump's personal defense attorneys when contacted.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Deathy McDeath posted:

I know that's not much of an original analysis, but there's really not much precedent to tell us how Iran responds to Terrorism (other than to blame the US and the Zionists).

I have it on good authority that it was a group of Americans that founded ISIS.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Canoeing is shooting a dead body in the forehead at an angle so it digs out a canoe shaped divot. It's a stupid practice invented by Seals. One of the idiots who claimed to be the Bin Laden killer allegedly did it to him despite being told not to shoot him in the face so identification didn't get screwed up.

This seems like something that was invented an E4 who went through basic with a guy who eventually became a SEAL and he told me it's definitely something they do, you guys.

Except nobody's ever actually done it because it's impractical and also fucks up identification.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"Here's an idea - let's honor someone who got a bunch of our friends and coworkers killed for fabricated reasons!"

How can anyone in the military look at Bush with anything but disgust?

Iraq made the Army relevant again. I'm not even joking: polls from before 2003 listed the airforce as the most important service, whereas polls after 2003 listed the Army. So hosed up nobles probably view this as a good thing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah, I don't see SNP cooperating with the Tories.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jaguars! posted:

When I woke up, Donald trump was president.

Waking up to "PRESIDENT TRUMP" as the headline that morning was like waking up in an alternate timeline where the Nazis won. Except it wasn't an alternate timeline.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I don't get the south. I was in Huntsville this week and a dude in a coal rolling pickup was sporting Confederate plates. But if it weren't for NASA egg heads from Stanford and MIT (and frankly, a bunch of Nazi rocket scientists), Huntsville would still be a depressed loving poo poo hole like 95% of Alabama.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

I'm guilty of helping this argument snowball in the CE thread. That said, Shim is right, please discuss this in a new thread. Prompt: instead of prisoners manicuring governors' lawns for free, it should be Soldiers.

Fixed. Also, what's the difference?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Syrian Lannister posted:

Hamster wrecked a car in Switzerland and was airlifted to a hospital.

Wasn't he also injured during filming last year, too?

Edit:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40234865

quote:

The 47-year-old was on a practice run for a race in an electric car for Amazon Prime show The Grand Tour.

Mr Hammond "climbed out of the car himself before the vehicle burst into flames," the show said in a statement.

Co-host Jeremy Clarkson tweeted that it was the "most frightening" accident he had ever seen but said Mr Hammond was "mostly OK".

The show's statement said: "Richard Hammond was involved in a serious crash after completing the Hemburg Hill Climb in Switzerland in a Rimac Concept One, an electric super car built in Croatia, during filming for The Grand Tour Season 2 on Amazon Prime, but very fortunately suffered no serious injury."

Mr Hammond, who has a fractured knee, was "conscious and talking" after the crash, the show said.

:stare:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pesticide20 posted:

I think I finally understand cultural appropriation

I laughed.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I wanna get a bunch of liberal gun nuts together and go to a pride parade decked out in rainbow tacticool gear and AR15s.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I much prefer the James, with its comfort and features.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If DC and PR were admitted to the union, it would immediately place 4 Senate seats permanently in blue hands. That's why Republicans oppose it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

This whole thing is interesting as Presidents were scared as hell about potential conflicts of interest and constitutional stuff. Obama sold all his stocks, Carter was forced to sell his peanut farm. Donnie just doesn't care.

Nothing will happen, but the real fascinating thing is the amount of case law on this particular constitutional subject: absolutely loving nothing.

On top of that, it's completely unclear how the Supreme Court would enforce this kind of thing. Donnie could easily tell them to gently caress off, since he's the organization owner, so maybe they'd have to go after the underlings in the organization? Or would similar companies have the right to sue the Trump Organization into oblivion? Who knows?

Edit: whoa wait a minute https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/874105239615524864

The tax returns are what they're after. It's all worth it if they can release them to the public.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BigDave posted:

What's the big deal about the Keebler Klansman testifying? What's he gonna say, 'Yup, Donnie J is in Putin's pocket and takes direct orders from Moscow, Heil Hydra'?

It's more about whether he helped Trump obstruct justice and why he was involved influence firing Comey.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Not buying it. It's another Trump attempt to divert attention from Sessions appearing before the committee tomorrow.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Senate quietly reached a deal on giving Russia and the Trump administration a middle finger.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...m=.33a87b18f2a1

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

IRA joke, he's the leader of Sinn Féin and the party had/has strong ties to the IRA

Strong ties? Try was a member of. His buddies at the IRA admitted in closed-session recordings that were released three years ago that he ordered the murder of at least one hostage.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

was being a bit diplomatic but yeah, sinn finn is basically the public facing front of the IRA

which reminds me, I need to find all the old IRA pamphlets my dad has somewhere, that might be a cool post. a former irish-catholic priest in like the 70s-80s... yeah he had ~~opinions~~ on what was going on in the homeland

My brother is trying to drag me all the way up to a house owned by our distant relatives outside Derry when we're in Dublin next week, and I just discovered that there's still Peace Walls all over the place there.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

No please, go ahead and fire Mueller. It'll definitely end well for you. While you're at it, would you please also stick your dick in the hornet nest over there.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

suboptimal posted:

Uhhhhhh that's not fuckin good. The neighborhood in which this happened is pretty posh so it's really unlikely that this was a random attack.

Yeah. Del Ray is nice as poo poo.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Shooter is a 66 year old white guy who owned a home inspection business in Illinois.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

KildarX posted:

I like when it's a school shooting or some such other most nut jobs go immediately to, "FALSE FLAG CRISIS ACTORS INSIDE JOB GUBMENT TAKE OUR GUNS!", but if you shoot a GOP congressmen it's suddenly, "Obviously this is a fringe element whipped into a frenzy of intolerance by media"

I prefer victim blaming. I mean if these congressmen were in a shall issue state, they would have been armed to protect themselves.

Oh wait.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Does a gunshot wound count as a pre-existing condition?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

fire mueller

loving do it

just go balls deep

TBH it would make the obstruction of justice case a lot faster.

• Locked thread