Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Lou Dobbs is right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

redeploy them to istanbul, imo

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Reality Winner was a USAF linguist for 6 years or so before becoming a contractor with the NSA. Veterans strike again!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/06/politics/reality-winner-who-is-accused-leaker/index.html

Wasn't there a thread in this very subforum about how all the language school people are brokebrain weirdos?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

:eyepop:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

that one is a fart in the wind. Vornado is all over the place in NoVA and DC

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-JA1ffd5Ms

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, I have openings for any of y'all fools that ever stared at a quart of sea water, or lectured someone that it's not pronounced "FORECASTLE".

I'll curate the wiki

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Don't store sensitive poo poo on public amazon servers :cripes:

AWS environments are almost certainly more secure than anything in-house that some organization that would put something like this on a machine exposed to public internet would have

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

I feel like this sort of data maybe shouldn't be on a public facing server at all.

yeah sure but the problem is that they've put it on something with access to public internet (an occurrence not unique to AWS), not that they used AWS

i should probably use the goonsay emote here for being a pedantic dork but it's an important distinction that people get wrong a lot

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Being on AWS is an irrelevant detail that no one should really care about.

yes, we are in agreement. that's what i'm trying and failing to communicate

and yeah you can have it so you connect to your instance over not-public internet but you also can and should restrict traffic types between your EC2 (your servers, basically) instances

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Rex Tillerson wants to work with Russia on Cybersecurity, I wonder why this might be laughably stupid considering recent events.

http://www.newsweek.com/russia-us-cyber-security-tillerson-627379

I guess we'll know how deep in the poo poo we are if, in a few weeks, we start hearing more earnest talk about "making data available for law enforcement" or about the government rolling their own crypto poo poo like Russia did for government agencies a year or so ago.

the real problem with that is that the password for the backdoor will likely be a passphrase, as they're more secure, you see, so adversaries will just guess "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for wh!te ch1ldren" and probably be right

e: loving lol, our idiot hell fucker publications just can't ever get away from the "horse race" narrative can they? the article refers to Russia as a "superpower" which is demonstrably false with even charitable definitions of that word, but boy howdy is the article a more interesting read if the Iron Curtain is threatening to split the west in half again. gently caress

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 20, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

what are you

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

I am wondering what the endgame even is with the healthcare bill. It doesn't make much sense to kill your own voters because then who's going to vote for you...

The same people that vote for them now: suburbanites with health care provided by their jobs

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

An Atlantic Wall, if you will

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

loving lmao at the thought of some doe-eyed 18 year old Guardsman from loving Carbondale patrolling South Lawndale. It would be the inverse of Newark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Trudeau hasn't done anything except be a more handsome and empathetic Harper, but at least he isn't coming after unions like Harper was about to if he got elected again. I voted NDP anyways

he's bad

• Locked thread