Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Cool as Biden and Bernie are, can the Dems just please nominate someone under the age of 50 instead? There really should be an upper age limit on these things (more ~70, but still).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Handsome Ralph posted:

Fuckkkkkk.

Seriously, I remember really liking the guy but between the pharma votes and his recent "Well Kushner isn't quite at the point where he should lose his clearance, PS- Him and his wife maxed out their contributions to my campaign(s?)" I could not be any more turned off by him as a candidate.
I'd heard he also strongly backed the privatization of a lot of public services in Jersey, though I've not got any specifics.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

psydude posted:

To an extent. Automation of the workforce is nothing new. Pilots and bus drivers will find themselves out of jobs in the next 50 years, but people working in skilled trades will remain employed because we're nowhere close to having AI capable of soldering pipes or wiring up a breaker panel.
America's millions of truck drivers and the lovely podunk towns they depend on would like a word with you. Even if we don't achieve 100% autonamous vehicles in the next ten years, you can bet your rear end trucking companies will be asking themselves why they should pay much above minimum wage for a glorified babysitter as lane-assist is perfected.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Actually soldering pipes and wiring panels are tasks best fit for machines/computers and the AI needed to drive vehicles is significantly further off.
Are you from an alternate universe? I have no idea where you're getting this unless you view 10 years as significant.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Survivors saying no building fire alarms went off. Property owner deserve to fry for this.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

bird cooch posted:

I don't know about that, but we are seeing a major population condescension in major metro areas on the as the flyovers suffer massive brain and youth drain.
Wait, smart young people are moving to where economic opportunity exists?!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Serious question: where are all the bollards? It's not like we don't have a solution to preventing accidental or intentional rammings, just install standard bollards wherever you have the potential for high-volume, same-grade vehicle and foot traffic.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

The GOP has been against the ACA since it passed, so I don't see why it's at all shocking or gauche for them to repeal it.
If you cut the time you spent posting dumb equivocations in half, maybe you'd have time to actually do your homework?

There is a night-and-day difference between the drafting processes of the ACA and AHCA. The former spent months in largely public fora* and went through all the standard budgetary forecasting procedures. 1,000 pages or not, people knew exactly what they were voting on by the time the bill came up to vote.

The AHCA, on the other hand, has been hammered out behind closed doors by House and Senate leadership, shutting out even many Republican representatives to the point where the House had minimal time to review it prior to it being put to vote. Ryan and McConnell have fought tooth and nail to obstruct and manipulate the bills' review by those federal agencies responsible for measuring the impact of the proposal.

It's already been explained to you that it is fundamentally incorrect to label Democratic resistance as 'obstructionism' as they wield no method of impeding the bill. Even if they did, all they are demanding right now is that the bill not be kept in the dark.

*It should be noted, however, that the bill had a very tainted beginning when Obama violated his campaign promise to have a clear record of White House guests by inviting a gaggle of insurance company shits to set the foundations of the bill that would emerge. Still, nothing like the bullshit the GOP is pulling right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

TBeats posted:

Someone briefly describe what the Qatar crisis is? Or point me to an article that does so. I understand it's about supporting terrorism but why is Qatar suddenly more egregious than other countries that do the same thing?
That list makes pretty clear that the whole kerfuffle is Saudi Arabia ending a message all its little neighbors that their only option is to relinquish their sovereignty and be good little satellites of Saudi will.

Basically, the July Crisis without even the assassination of a Saudi prince to justify the list of demands made. The list appears to be intentionally unacceptable to Qatar, which is a sign of Bad Things To Come.

• Locked thread