Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Their bench is bare as gently caress because they've spent the past eight years losing 1,000+ seats nationwide and clearing the field for She Who Will Not Be Named.

Anyone simultaneously young and exciting is either co-opted or tossed out of the party. Even Obama had to fight for it, and he was no spring chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Thwomp posted:

This but also renewable energy is simply a leftist/liberal goal and must be opposed regardless of merit (see also: Obamacare, Net Neutrality, Gay Marriage, Keynesian economics, NATO, the sun rising in the east, and true love).

And those new lightbulbs, can't forget those.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Why should I pay taxes for roads when most of it is spent on roads I don't even drive?!

eta: checkmate libs

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 2, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Peetown Manning posted:

Not to mention it feels like you could just replace the term with "the Jews" and you'd basically have the same conspiratorial poo poo.

Ya did it Manning, ya cracked the code.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Ok, so we're not as far down the crazy bug gently caress rabbit hole as I thought. My immediate reaction was "you mean that punched Nazi? Yeah sure why the hell not it's 2017 and I can see Trump doing it just to 'make liberals mad' "

Apparently it is not the same guy.

I think it's at least possible Trump thought they were the same guy.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I wasn't allowed on site while my clearance was in progress. Apparently I didn't make the cut for a waiver? Eight months, full salary, doing nothing for no one, spending my time however I wanted. Consulting is a scam.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Absolutely right, but that's not the point. Clinton didn't have private prison imates working for her. One of the Arkansas work programs for prisoners was to function as stewards/caretakers of the governor's mansion. This is worlds apart from modern private prison contracting to work for private companies and exploit minor drug offenders as free labor.

It's not apples and oranges: the prisoners were not paid for these work programs, and were punished if they refused to participate, and anyone who used their labor saved money.

At any rate, the truly blood-curdling bit is not that Clinton lived in a mansion whose grounds were kept by legal slaves, it's what she had to say on the subject in the book. I highly recommend tracking the excerpt down either in text or audiobook form. People are posting it all over. She calls it a long-standing tradition, assures the reader that she and Bill reported even minor infractions to the overseers, discusses the parts of the brain responsible for impulse control, all but says that they seemed remarkably human.

Forgive me for not posting it myself, I plead the phoneth.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've read the excerpt.

Okay, then you know the whole story.

I'm not interested in convincing anyone their take is wrong, and even more not interested in pillorying Hillary. The only current event is, a lot of people are having bizarre arguments about it online.

quote:

There was zero she could have done to change the situation

Well, that might underestimate the influence of the governor and his wife.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Dont worry Bruh. Barry O bailed out the pieces of poo poo who intentionally inflated the housing market

Pay no attention to the fact that in California at least, prices are already at pre recession levels

Was just listening to this radio piece about Donnie's very-good-friend Tom Barrack, who made tons in the real estate bubble, called it a bubble in 2005, pulled out before the crash, then bought thousands of foreclosed properties across the country to rent out, then bundled those into good ol' mortgage-backed securities.

By the end of the story, he's completely pulled out of real estate again. This is fine. Everything's fine!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Buca di Bepis posted:

i know dementia makes you batty but does it really impair your ability to tell that you have a mouthful of soap?

The packets probably don't taste like soap if you swallow them before they dissolve.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

milk milk lemonade posted:

Looks like someone who was actually there made a comment on Youtube:

Possible in the all-time top 10 of actually worthwhile youtube comments.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I got polled yesterday for an obvious right wing firm. Holy poo poo the questions were all loaded as gently caress.

The scripted questions asked such agree/disagree things as "I think that obamacare (not PPACA) should be repealed or significantly changed," "i support democratic obstruction and refusal to work with President Trump," and "i support middle class tax cuts and a lowered corporate rate to incentivize growth"

It felt like it was deliberately worded so that anything horrible was coupled with good things so they can call democrats assholes for saying no.

If it's any comfort, that means they're taking their clients' money and giving them a falsified ego-boost in lieu of actionable data.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Reverand maynard posted:

isn't this the plotline from the ring where you have to get someone else to watch that tape or you die?

With the odd twist that the internet seems full of people slavering to watch this particular tape.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Over a kilometer farther than the previous record. :popeye:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

:confused: English is not Original Sin, people without it remain capable of evil.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Two Finger posted:

Welp glad I only read a few paragraphs and decided to save the rest for later.

Redneck nazgul is there any particular reason you decided to post this here?

It is a famous, excellent, and completely self-explanatory apocalyptic sci-fi horror short story.

By all means do not read it if you do not want to be horrified, but no one should find it confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Access journalism is dead. Real journalism is flourishing and won't stop.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I was chatting with a DC reporter the other day and this is basically what he said. The press corps has just been transcriptionists and now the media has to actually dig to find facts instead of relying on conferences.

Thanks, Donald!

• Locked thread