Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Handsome Ralph posted:

Mods, please change name to "Jimmy the Jew" or "Spanish Carmine". TIA.

I'm quite partial to "Joey Glasses".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

Cool as Biden and Bernie are, can the Dems just please nominate someone under the age of 50 instead? There really should be an upper age limit on these things (more ~70, but still).

There is no way in hell Biden can run for the next election, it's a shame because he's one of those very rare U.S. politicians that's as popular over here in Europe as the U.S. But that job would kill him, it's just not realistic unless he wanted to die in office.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Well, on the upside, late night comedy hosts can spend the next week making fun of Trump once again being wrong about absolutely everything and understanding absolutely nothing, in the most recent case, the impact of temperature changes of fractures of a degree Celsius.

"WE'RE GONNA HAVE THE CLEANEST AIR, WE'RE GONNA HAVE THE CLEANEST WATER, WE'RE GONNA BE ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY, BUT WE'RE NOT GONNA SACRIFICE OUR JOBS"

:lol:

Who's in the audience? Jesus Christ

Also on the upside, Florida is going to sink no matter what we do at this point. We can maybe save some of the low lying land that everyone's been panicking about, but we're in the "Red Zone" of climate change planning now. Worst predictions from the 90s ahoy.

And lol, as someone that's spent quite a bit of their life working on A.I. / automation software, we're so hosed in terms of working out how to provide jobs for people in the next 50 years it's beyond funny.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Missionary Positron posted:

See, this right here is what makes the US such a profoundly interesting and contradictory nation to me. The idealistic version of the United States is the first truly modern nation in terms of democratic ideals. I mean we all know that poo poo didn't happen, but the philosophical underpinnings of the US declaration of independence sort of heralded the coming of what was to be an era of globalization and migration. Yet at at the same time, the US has always been a weirdly conservative nation wary of change. Maybe I'm the one who's getting tangled up in symbolism, but the whole coal thing is just so perfectly emblematic of America's history; the constant interplay between progress and tradition.

I don't know, y'all are a fascinating and a terrifying nation.

Also, I'm drunk as gently caress.

Being drunk is fine in this day and age, and you're pretty much correct. The U.S. is weird, speaking as an English dude. It probably has the most free and best form of governance on the planet, kind of. It has the downside that the system has some serious security holes, it turns out if you can buy up enough of the media you can persuade enough people to go along with things that blatantly aren't true or correct, and dump your society in a hole. It also has a culture outside of the big cities that is deeply rooted in old agriculture / agrarian society. Like most of us in Europe used to be.

I still think you lot will sort yourselves out though, just might take a while.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

suboptimal posted:

So I was just in a tiny, desperately poor coastal west African country that's mostly flat, dependent on subsistence agriculture, and will be absolutely turbofucked by the sea level rise brought on by climate change. Despite that no civilian government has survived a full term in office due to continual interference by the country's military, they still managed to find their asses with both hands and sign the Paris Agreement even though they contribute .02% of the world's greenhouse gases.

Sigh.

They're all already hosed - when climate scientists were screaming in the press about climate change in the early 2000s, this was what their projections were turning up. At this point, if we're really lucky, we might save Bangladesh. That's the big one. We have no idea if we can.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Lol. It's not soldering pipes in a factory. So we need an autonomous mobile robot which is capable of manipulating tools, can articulate fully, think it's way around problems and correspond with multiple levels of command. It's called a human. You are wrong basically.
Self driving things are considerably simpler. That said advanced large scale 3D printers could put skilled trades out of work, but that's just as far off.

You're correct, but we're working on it. You're right that the current deep learning crap that's going on is not exactly going to build us a terminator. I and quite a few other researchers are working on the kind of contextual machine that could do the interesting things, but we're nowhere near there yet. I mean it's so complex we don't understand what the hell we're trying to build at this point.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

One step closer to our Space Balls' future.

I'll get you an engineering quote for lets say, $5 Billion.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

As a brown English dude that isn't a Muslim, I currently want to knife punch every person that affiliates with ISIS through the loving throat. You cunts can't win but thanks for making my life harder again.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Zeris posted:

In a year or two, sad European couples will come to USA to adopt retard

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Zeris posted:

Also D&D is totally welcome here / in this thread, I'm just worried they have an inferiority complex with respect to how much we're heroes and they're not.

As one of the non-military regulars in this thread, if I ever called any of my military friends or family heros, I believe I'd get laughed at so hard I might have to kill myself.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

egyptian rat race posted:

poo poo's going down in London.... Van sped into crowds on London Bridge, plus reports of three men stabbing "indiscriminately".

drat it :smith:

Me and my mates here reckon it's the last of the idiots left over from the Manchester attack. Can't fault them for execution, now's the right time if you want to mess with Britain.

We aren't gonna let them do that though, we'll be fine. Goddamn, I am loving angry though.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Linking from the Middle East thread:

Maybe it's just because I'm on the last chapter of The Sleepwalkers, but bullet point ultimatums with deadlines measured in hours are starting to get uncomfortably close to Bad poo poo Going Down.

Oh for gently caress's sake, World War Twitter is about to start.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

MAGA rallies are a good way to see the worst possible tactical gear and clothing decisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfhphrmKdsg

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Reverand maynard posted:

would a dirty bomb even be that bad?

Technically no, I was trying to think earlier when this news story came up how the hell you'd even get hold of the radioisotopes to make a serious one. It's pretty much impossible. But the fear is that you set a crappy one off in a financial centre, and then because most people don't know a hell of a lot about radioactive materials, they refuse to go there, the clean up takes ages and your local economy tanks itself.

It's very unlikely any terrorist group will ever have the resources to put one together.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

A witch hunt isn't a bad thing when you're trying to annihilate an actual witch.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

cowboy elvis posted:

Putin knows how to have fun.

I don't know how he's so good at this. Actually I do, he's the total dick I'd like to be if I lived in a universe where there were no consequences to anything I did. KGB's back baby, and this time we're all losing.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry for replying late but my god that kid is screwed. Calling out a non-existant threat - 2 years if you're lucky. Having the coast guard called out, ouch you're in serious trouble now.

Getting NEST called out while you're doing it, oh dear.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Richard Bong posted:

Good.

This hoax is so far beyond the run of the mill swatting I couldn't see them letting this slide at all.

I wonder what the overall cost of this whole thing was? As in everything from asset deployment to lost business costs.

Ballpark, and this is a guess from my point of view but I think I'm roughly right, 10 mill or so.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Russia isn't looking to become a superpower and lack the means to become one even if they wanted to.

They just want to make sure no one else gets to be one.

It isn't so much that they're any scarier than anyone else, it's been mentioned several times in this thread (I have several times) that computer security across industry is so bloody terrible I personally wouldn't find it particularly hard to knock over a bunch of factory SCADA systems in some other country and make things go boom.

What's terrifying about the Russians is that they're pushing this stuff, while the rest of us are looking at the potential consequences of doing so (The ICBMs all get launched) and we're wondering what in the name of gently caress they're playing at.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

windshipper posted:

Yeah yeah yeah elections are one thing, but when you try and investigate it, and the result is this:

That's a different level of hosed.

Basically -

We could gently caress their financial system just as easily as they could gently caress us, if not more so.

But we don't.

But they're loving with us to the level of... It's that car ride with your siblings in the back seat, where you keep going, "I'm not touching you," because, hey, the Russians aren't touching us (with bullets). But here's how close we can, here's how much we can just gently caress with you, what are you gonna do about it?

That's scary. It's the same as it was just a week ago, but it's just that much more clearer how much they're trying to gently caress with us, now what are we gonna do?

Your analysis is correct, and the thing is we aren't going to do poo poo because the consequences are horrible for everyone. Have no doubt, if they went totally nuts tomorrow, we (I'm English but same difference, that bit of our security services is basically the same service) could shutdown every factory, hospital, facility that isn't isolated and military in their whole country. Thing is, we're not nuts, and this is a problem. That and some idiot might press the button, and that stuff isn't networked.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

cowboy elvis posted:

I'm wondering if there's an element of hesitation for both parties here in regards to the Russia poo poo. If we were to definitively prove the Russians interfered in the election and either Trump or people he knows played ball, what's our response?

As mentioned above, kill their economy. It's pretty much the only sane move you could make.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

So we can let the bean counters do it instead? While people are starting to grasp the idea that network security is actually important I'm not willing to give a whole lot of credit on follow through. Information systems security is still, generally speaking, seen as that line item on the budget that you make as small as possible to cover legal liability. We're a loooooooong way away from it being taken seriously, and I am of the personal opinion that it won't ever be until there's a global scale pants-making GBS threads disaster to drive the lesson home.

Mathematician reporting in. We're working on that poo poo, but we're realistically about 50 years away from building systems that are resilient against attack. And getting company X to pay for upgrade to I.T. system Y is basically impossible as you described.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im wondering if that's fruit from the nigel farage investigation

If you take that oval office out I will personally buy an American dinner. Whatever you want.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Zeris posted:

Also FYI everyone, regarding Russians' general desire to drink themselves to death and provoke westerners who are otherwise averse to nuclear confrontations, it makes a lot of sense if you realize that Russian citizens are basically that superstar deployment E-4 that is now trying and failing to survive in a garrison environment, lashing out at everyone and everything in the process as a masturbatory conflagratory act of self-destructive trollpocalypse.

It's loving infuriating. I'm not a military dude (though from half the stuff I've worked on you'd find it hard to tell these days), and I've got no loving clue how to deflect this poo poo.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

I don't know much about war and such but something about this before and after picture of the al-baghdadi bombing is really odd to me.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/875699517789700096

Like, how do you tactically nearly perfectly pulverize four buildings into nothingness without even hurting the surrounding trees, let alone other buildings? I see a but of roof damage on one of the nearest buildings, but the light is so different its hard to tell. But is that type of thing actually possible?

Yeh, there are weapons like this, DIME that I remember reading about when Israel used them. That's pretty much what I'd expect the damage to look like from a set of precision guided ones.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Vasudus posted:

Am I confusing my warlords or did we not cause him to lose a kidney or half his liver or something a few years ago from nearly getting annihilated by a drone?

Yeh, after a quick google, pretty much dead on 2 years ago. Though I also saw repeated stories over the last 2 years saying the same thing. We appear to have been constantly drone bombing the idiot and missing.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hooray for variable pitch propellors.

They could have done all sorts if they knew where the freighter was where it was, but they appeared not to. The destroyer was sub 10000 tons, the freighter was pushing 30k (I can't find a good reference online, dunno if that's for it being heavily loaded or not). They're pretty lucky they got away with that little damage, if that'd been a full on perpendicular hit, well, I'd put my money on the freighter.

E: Ugh yeh, looking stuff up it was about a 4:1 battle in mass terms, the freighter would have simply sunk the destroyer if it'd run into the side of it.

Hexyflexy fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 18, 2017

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

Random civvie posting but I remembered something relevant wrt ships braking; the Iowa class battleships could flip their rudders 90 degree inward to create a gigantic underwater airbrake. According to the source, this did deform the rudders by 2-3cm the one time it was used but it stopped the ship in less than it's own length.

I don't know if that's true (another non-military person here), but it sounds about right. Stopping motion is a very different proposition to carefully changing course. In option 1, you kill all momentum, bam, dead in the water, stopped, hire some welders. In option 2 you have to carefully note where you are, where everything else is, and try to steer around with minimal energy expenditure. They hosed that up.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

CPP owns.

From my understanding it almost did.

Ouch.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

milk milk lemonade posted:

What's not great about America again. Why do white people love complaining so much.

You guys have the weirdest persecution complex about your country. America is just fine, it isn't going bloody anywhere.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect the homo-eroticism scared them off.

Googling for "Sexy Putin Images" has probably just put me on a watchlist.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

A 17 mph gust of wind won't flip a viper clean over.

Something broke or someone hosed up, you can't roll a structure with that amount of mass with that kind of wind. Like, a microbust could do it but there weren't any storms around.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

It's pretty good. I still don't understand what IS is. It bugs the crap out of me. I grew up in the UK in an area that had a high Muslim population, I've lived in several as an adult. Loads of Muslim friends, some of whom I've had for decades. It almost feels like the whole thing has nothing to do with Islam at all. I've got no idea what the hell it is though.

Ah well, I don't have to care that much, the whole thing is pretty much getting terminated in every direction possible.

• Locked thread