Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Two Finger posted:

Somehow I never get tired of these crooked hillary tweets

jesus dude you won let it go

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/870077441401905152

He's right about Hillary . But he's even more pathetic than her, because he always needs to remind everybody else that his victory was huge, and that he would have won the popular vote if not for massive voter fraud.

Hillary being a sore loser is one thing, but the President of the United States being a sore winner is even more embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Duzzy Funlop posted:

RIP Qatar world cup

Better than having dudes play in 130 degrees, I guess

I think I will actually love Trump a bit if this results in the World Cup not being held in Qatar.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

That's true. Usually it's the left splintering in a dozen factions, while the conservatives stay united in their goal of loving over as many people as posdible. So nice to see it happening to the right.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Missionary Positron posted:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/19/eu-proposes-banning-encryption-backdoors/

It feels weird to see a legislative body making seemingly informed, pro-consumer laws regarding technology :stare:

The key part here is that the proposal has to be reviewed by the Euopean Council. Parliament can pass anything it likes to, it won't become law without approval by the council. Which is just the collected heads of government of the 27 EU states. So expect changes that will weaken this proposal a lot.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I like 2 the best but it's just a very slight preference. I love X1-X3 and don't care who knows it.

I think X1-X3 are the best MegaMan games, period. I slightly prefer X3 for the ability to play Zero, but they are all really good. The series went downhill with X4-X6, I didn't play any of the later games.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Merkel is trying to wind up Trump and assert herself at an international level again,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40441143

I hope we see some more shoulder barging and cryptically threatening Tweets from your Head of State in the next few weeks.

Trump's biggest potential ally basically lost all her power when she failed to put Corbyn away, and Macron is likely to want an even deeper partnership with Merkel than Hollande. Trump is also the one issue where she has the European public firmly behind her when she opposes him. It's a win-win situation. I'm looking forward to Trump's reaction.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I'd say that apart from the UK and Poland, Merkel more or less has broad support across most of Europe, not withstanding some of the nutters in places like Hungary. How much she want's to rock the boat though, I'm not sure.

Probably the first tests for Merkel and Macron will be their own Governments disagreeing with the EU over Brexit terms and then the inevitable fallout when Turkey tears up the migrant deal when Erdogan doesn't feel like he's being treated like the Global Superpower that he is. Italian elections will also be interesting with a (non-Far Right) EU skeptic party leading in the polls.

It looks like Merkel will win pretty comfortably in the fall general elections. Which her (inevitable) u-turn on gay marriage, she has cleverly removed one of the largest stumbling blocks for getting support from the progressive crowd. And the only eurosceptic party, the AfD, will likely just barely make it into parliament. Macron's En Marche also took a very comfortable majority in the French parliamentary elections. I can't see why they would get problems over Brexit? What do you have in mind there? Do you think there will be problems when Germany and France have to pick up most of the UK's EU budget contributions? I'm honestly don't understand what you are getting at here. Am I missing something? Please explain :)

Edit: Just to make sure there are no misunderstandings: I really don't understand it, I'm not dismissing your viewpoint. I would really appreciate it if you explained it to me.

I'm really curious how long it will take until Erdogan tears up the refugee deal. And how many people will try to get to Europe through Turkey again. I bet it will be less than before the deal, because they know that the Balkan route is closed. And I don't know how many people want to be stuck in Greece. But this will probably still be a real test for EU leadership.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

It looks like the EU as a body are, understandably, keen on having a harder line taken on the Brexit negotiations so the terms act as more of a deterrent to other future errant members than some of the National Governments are. I remember last year the German government having to tell the EU to tone down it's rhetoric.

I'm sure as long as there is free movement of people Merkel doesn't really give a poo poo about if EU expats in the UK have their rights overseen by the European Courts or ours as long as they have interrupted access to our markets.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the National Governments seem to want Brexit just to happen ASAP now provided there is free movement of people and access to the mutual markets as opposed to the EU parliament who want to make a point.

But I think the political realities in Britain will solve that EU-member states conflict. Because everybody in the EU27 agrees that free movement of people cannot be separated from the common market. And I can't see you guys agreeing to free movement. Even Labour said so! And now with May relying on the DUP, I can't really see how a hard Brexit can be avoided. And because of that, I think the other issues become secondary. You are right, the member states probably aren't interested in making the UK suffer as much as the EU parliament and the Commission. But they can't budge on free movement, and neither can May. So those other issues become unimportant because we likely can't agree on what's arguably the central problem. But that's just my view as an outsider. What do you think, can there be a compromise? What form of free movement could be acceptable to May and the Tories?

• Locked thread