Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Oahu taxes the poo poo out of everyone but the roads are still bad enough to trip the G Sensor on my dash cam because it thinks we flew off a cliff or something. We don't have winter. Wtf.

It's a bit harder to repair infrastructure here due to the fact that only three roads go anywhere and they are all way above capacity. Can't shut down lanes and there are no detours so the patches get put on patches forever.

That and they started a light rail project that is comically mismanaged and so full of graft they don't even know how much has been spent on it and the feds are 99% of the way to clawing back their grants.

The problem in Hawaii is that there is no opposition party with even a miniscule chance of winning anything so the Democrats can be as lovely as they want.

Combine that with a remote location and small town political philosophy where everyone's cousin is in a position of some sort and it's keystone cops levels of dumb but scaled up to a major city size.

Strangely, Hawaii island has great roads and built a baller rear end highway across Mauna Kea with 60mph speed limits. poo poo is Autobahn smooth and a great drive. Named it after Daniel K Inouye. Maybe it's just Oahu being awful.

Not sure what my point is but holy crap any political system needs an actual legitimate opposition party to function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
How long until the new Navy secretary finance guy's ties to Russia are exposed?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Zeris posted:

https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/871854226644840448

Durr make her sit in an office doing nothing for six months so she has experience before we let her see the good stuff!

The DoD gives TS//SCI to a bunch of unproven 18 year olds who never had a job and make questionable life choices like enlisting!!!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

My metabolism finally slowed down enough that I can keep muscle mass on at 31

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Hexyflexy posted:

They could have done all sorts if they knew where the freighter was where it was, but they appeared not to.

Thats the thing I really don't understand. Sure the freighter might have been doing some spinning circles waiting for a harbor pilot and tug but you don't just miss a radar return off a GIANT transport. The track might not have made sense to a casual glance, but there is a big loving object there worth maybe avoiding.

Literally everyone had to be passed out.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

The cargo ship was not actually doing circles. AIS is not reliable for tracking what a ship is doing without another source. Likewise it wasn't doing just shy of 19 knots.

Thats basically what I was saying. If the AIS reported track doesn't make sense, but you have a huge no poo poo radar return you are closing on then there is something out there you should think about avoiding. Or waking up the lookout to see if there are running lights.

Edit: Yeah most cargo I've tracked was doing 15-16kt or so and that was open ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Guacamayo posted:

FBI Agent involved in Tarp Ghost's shooting indicted:
https://twitter.com/notjessewalker/status/879904112971841538

Jesus Christ it's all on video why start making poo poo up?

It was a clean shot when tarp ghost reached into his loving jacket

• Locked thread