Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
your word not mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

What if...fire good?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

TBeats posted:

Don't let the dd214 fool you. I'm probably one of the least patriotic veterans I've ever met. Like yeah rah rah America but I don't appreciate being here the same way a refugee does.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

i already thought the us military already donated heavily to Doctors without borders

It's more of a naturally evolved symbiosis

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Missionary Positron posted:

What the gently caress is up with the almost fetishistic thing the GOP has with coal?

Well you see, there's this thing called votes

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Missionary Positron posted:

Yes, but isn't it comparatively small relative to other industries? I mean if this is the heading for the wiki article for coal mining in the US, the industry is in pretty bad shape: "By January 2016, more than 25% of coal production was in bankruptcy in the United States.[5] In 2015 four publicly-traded US coal companies filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, including Patriot Coal Corporation, Walter Energy, and the fourth-largest Alpha Natural Resources filed for bankruptcy protection. The second-largest producer Arch Coal and the largest producer Peabody Energy declared bankruptcy in 2016.[5][6][7] By March 2017, the coal industry employed approximately 77,000 miners. 60,000 jobs have been lost since 2011.[8]".

Why leech onto this tiny segment of the economy as being a fundamental part of 'MURICA? :psyduck:

Mr. Nice! posted:

There is no one actually working in the coal industry.

TBeats posted:

Because the GOP represents the good, hard working blue collar American and what better way to send that message than with the coal industry? It's not about the coal industry at all. It's about optics.

A lot of conservative American vote-gathering is about pissing off liberals, whose views are threatening and confusing. This includes coal, as Cole points out. A lot of conservatives understand coal matters to some people--even if not the voters in question, or their friends--and so it's lovely and useful to pander to that notion. It's the evil doppleganger to neoliberal/corporate knob-slobbering of social justice imagery. Gays are a minority; ethnic minorities are a minority; yet many liberal voters prefer the candidate who pays lip service to both regardless of what they actually have done or do in office.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Reverand maynard posted:

so I was having dinner with my family and my uncle (who is an engineer and has been using the non lovely lightbulbs for years) got into a really big argument over loving lightbulbs with his father in law. Watching an old rich white dude getting upset that someone would use cost efficient, energy efficient lightbulbs was loving bizarre. He's also very vocally for fracking.

It's almost as though intergenerational disputes force their way into any and all contexts

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah okay.

Macron is the manifestation of Hillary Clinton's PR countenance in a man's body, which is to say a source of excitement for a small group of people whose opinions and intentions are already known and consistently undermined.

Automated driving is 5 to 10 years away. Trucks definitely, cars per city.

Toxx me, doxx me, just don't diss my moxie.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Take everything of mine and my kids'...just promise you'll gently caress poor people into the dirt

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

quote:

“I tell you, there’s only one fork I eat with,” her daughter-in-law said one night over dinner. “And it’s got to be this one.”

“That’s autism,” Kathy said.

lol

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

In the lifecycle of a country, isn't this the part where its poorest and stupidest emigrate and work their asses off to make a better future for their children, who within a generation or two will return to recolonize the homeland with a smarter form of government and cooler guns?

Also D&D is totally welcome here / in this thread, I'm just worried they have an inferiority complex with respect to how much we're heroes and they're not.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Surely they have the patience and wisdom to shore up our shortsighted hot takes on why the rich must be eaten and the self-identified disabled poor should be fed to the puppies they keep dropping on the floor.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

In a year or two, sad European couples will come to USA to adopt retard

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Solaris 2.0 posted:

D&D lurker / sometimes poster here. I actually hold this forum in high esteem when I nearly enlisted 5 years ago during a rough patch in my life. I was talking to an Army recruiter and he was totally selling me on the "sure enlist and then you can work your way up to officer!" Since all I had to show in life was a history degree and a $30K job. (No one wanted me for officer).

I ended up reading the "so you wish to join the military " thread and it told me that enlisting with a degree is stupid and all my ex-military friends agreed. So I went back to school and studied IT. I still don't really like my job but at least I make OK money.

TL&DR this forum saved me from making a big mistake thank you for your service.

Jeez, thanks for not joining

Chichevache posted:

You really think someone wants Cole?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

cowboy elvis posted:

So this is the evidence right? Like no more rumors, this is legit as legit gets?

Much like finding out who it was that gave you HIV, the answer was already obvious and it doesn't change what we're forced to deal with.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I am a journalist! I am a journalist! I insist as I leak myself into an infinite regression of matryoshka dolls as the Soviet national anthem plays along

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Can someone photoshop Greenwald and Assange onto Sidney Poitier and Tony Curtis' heads on the cover of The Defiant Ones with embassy guards on one end and Russians on the other?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

The Intercept probably blew the source when the reporter(s) checked with ANOTHER contractor to confirm the document's veracity and literally gave them full pictures of the document, plus the intelligence report number. There's some bullshit in there about the documents being creased, but it looks like Contractor #2 went to the government, then the government person blew it up.

https://twitter.com/max_read/status/871862790113419264

And I swear, this Comey thing could turn out to be overhyped and become a nothingburger, but gently caress it will be good television.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/871864020155990017

https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/871854226644840448

Durr make her sit in an office doing nothing for six months so she has experience before we let her see the good stuff!

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Professor Bling posted:

Went there, can confirm.

Apparently, Reality Winner and I were both at DLI together at some point, but in completely different languages.

poo poo, she was in my training squadron. Now I'm probably on another list.

Edit: holy gently caress that name is a goddamned joke

That's funny, I know someone in a similar position as you.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Wasn't there a thread in this very subforum about how all the language school people are brokebrain weirdos?

Checks out.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

James Brien Comey Jr., did you order the code orange?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Future dickhead president of America

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

This guy is my friend and he is going to post here on Thursday.

Can you PM me with details?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm 100% certain that he's joking.

Rude

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

:siren:Updates related to Comey or testimony needs to go in this thread until further notice::siren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822948

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I'm confused as to whether people wish that first lady of Arkansas Hillary had sent the prison labor to do the same job anywhere besides the governor's mansion, or if they wish that first lady of Arkansas Hillary single-handedly crushed the prison-labor complex regardless of where it took place, or something?

I guess what I'm saying is that when we live in a future when any piece of text longer than a hot take is considered a book, I won't feel so bad about walking into a bar at 10am to watch Comey testify on the TV.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Noted maverick and totally with it, definitely-not-Hillary's-soul-transplanted-in-a-younger-body senator from New York Kirsten Gillibrand is cursin' again. Her subroutines are good enough that we're nearly out Disney-ride animatronics and into the uncanny valley.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/senator-curses-in-speech-to-show-frustration-with-washington/ar-BBCnuVC

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I'm guilty of helping this argument snowball in the CE thread. That said, Shim is right, please discuss this in a new thread. Prompt: instead of prisoners manicuring governors' lawns for free, it should be soldiers.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Here come probations, because "stop" was not an invitation to get the last word in.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Immanentized posted:

Are his suit jackets just stupendously long, or does he wear an overcoat at all times? What the hell?

e: Maybe he just goes for Morning Dress?

Trump fat

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I guess Adam West really was the sole remaining ward in place to prevent earth from sliding over to the plane of chaos

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

BigDave posted:

wait when was this?

November 15 – December 21, 1864

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/surprise-cruiser-shiloh-sailor-presumed-overboard-and-dead-discovered-hiding-on-board

Shiloh sailor reported overboard now found hiding in engine room posted:

A sailor from the cruiser Shiloh whom Navy officials said fell overboard last week, triggering a massive search-and-rescue effort, has been discovered on board.

Presumed dead after going missing June 8, Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Mechanical) 3rd Class Peter Mims reportedly hid himself in one of the engine rooms, according to two sources familiar with the situation.

It is unclear how Mims survived a week in the engineering space or where he was hiding. He will be flown off Shiloh for evaluation soon.

https://www.rferl.org/a/the-mammoth-pirates/27939865.html

Every summer, men head into the Siberian wilderness to hunt for mammoth tusks, I joined one expedition & watched tuskers get rich, get drunk & nearly die. posted:

With the sale of elephant tusks under close scrutiny, “ethical ivory” from the extinct woolly mammoth is now feeding an insatiable market in China. This rush on mammoth ivory is luring a fresh breed of miner – the tusker – into the Russian wilderness and creating dollar millionaires in some of the poorest villages of Siberia.

On condition that he not reveal names or exact locations, RFE/RL photographer Amos Chapple gained exclusive access to one site where between bouts of vodka-fueled chaos and days spent evading police patrols, teams of men are using illegal new methods in the hunt for what remains of Siberia's lost giants.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/15/well/family/talking-to-boys-the-way-we-talk-to-girls.html

Talking to Boys the Way We Talk to Girls posted:

What’s more, a 2017 study led by Emory University researchers discovered, among other things, that fathers also sing and smile more to their daughters, and they use language that is more “analytical” and that acknowledges their sadness far more than they do with their sons. The words they use with sons are more focused on achievement — such as “win” and “proud.” Researchers believe that these discrepancies in fathers’ language may contribute to “the consistent findings that girls outperform boys in school achievement outcomes.”

After visits to the emergency room for accidental injuries, another study found, parents of both genders talk differently to sons than they do to daughters. They are nearly four times more likely to tell girls than boys to be more careful if undertaking the same activity again. The same study cited earlier research which found that parents of both genders used “directives” when teaching their 2- to 4-year-old sons how to climb down a playground pole but offered extensive “explanations” to daughters.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is why I let both my children choose their genders at age 3 using gender specific but culturally transcendent dolls after which they were allowed to change their names if they desired. Pixie is 5 now and she has also chosen to recieve one or two vaccinations which I am proud of her for doing

Every couple I've met that raised their kids like that, with no boundaries whatsoever, is gifting the world a future school or workplace shooter. Assuming they don't die of measles. Those kids turn out so loving weird.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah seriously, welcome back from your North Korean coma

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/DewsNewz/status/875494310132813827

Interviewing him was a terrible idea in the first place and now look. Also he basically just said he still thinks sandy hook was fake at the end right?

If that is real, and not just some Alex Jones reverse-spin job, then Megyn Kelly and NBC deserve everything that comes of it because holy poo poo stupid dumb so stupid dumb

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Also FYI everyone, regarding Russians' general desire to drink themselves to death and provoke westerners who are otherwise averse to nuclear confrontations, it makes a lot of sense if you realize that Russian citizens are basically that superstar deployment E-4 that is now trying and failing to survive in a garrison environment, lashing out at everyone and everything in the process as a masturbatory conflagratory act of self-destructive trollpocalypse.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Nice ASVAB scores you losers

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

KildarX posted:

The gently caress? how are those not immediate disqualifications?

That's probably the best they could find in loving Minnesota

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Back in the day you used to be able to murder anyone you wanted as long as you were stronger than them or had a bigger club or a meaner pet dinosaur. Back in the good ol' paleo days. Everything was organic, natural, simple. I guess what I'm saying is this gun / police derail in the current events thread ends here; I have a probation in the chamber and 8 more in the magazine. Go ahead and reach for that wallet. I'm feelin' a-frightened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

Automated Underwater Tensile Impulse Speed Mitigator.

Speed-Mediating Deployable Freedom Tickling Balloons

• Locked thread