Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Piping in from the last thread to point out that Comey's testimony is not remotely hearsay and I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. Hearsay goes to the truth of the matter asserted not whether it was asserted.

i.e. "Donna told me Jim got home at 5" is hearsay if you're trying to use it to prove Jim got home at 5, it is not hearsay if you're trying to prove Donna made the statement that Jim got home at 5.

"Trump told me to bury the investigation" is never hearsay and all these exceptions are irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

psydude posted:

I don't think anyone was trying to say Comey's experiences were hearsay? I think everyone was in agreement that it wasn't hearsay. Except maybe the nothing matters nihilism group.

People were arguing over providing citations for various hearsay exceptions that were being claimed as why his testimony was allowed.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/872282258064818177

goddamnit how do I embed tweets

....feel so old

edit: okay so it doesn't show as embeded in the post preview but works when you actually hit post

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

They can sue the department, but suing the officer in his individual capacity is basically a non-starter due to qualified immunity and if they try, their suit is gonna get thrown out. If I recall from the last time this came up, they would have to prove that the officer knew he was acting illegally, rather than just being incompetent.

I know QI pisses off a lot of people, but anyone who has worked for the government should understand why it is good law and absolutely correct.

This is wrong, the standard is reasonable belief of legality not knowingly illegal. The fact that the department concluded that no reasonable officer could have considered that situation a mortal threat cracks that door wide open.

• Locked thread