Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jarmak posted:

Piping in from the last thread to point out that Comey's testimony is not remotely hearsay and I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. Hearsay goes to the truth of the matter asserted not whether it was asserted.

i.e. "Donna told me Jim got home at 5" is hearsay if you're trying to use it to prove Jim got home at 5, it is not hearsay if you're trying to prove Donna made the statement that Jim got home at 5.

"Trump told me to bury the investigation" is never hearsay and all these exceptions are irrelevant.

Comey's testimony isn't hearsay, but his memos would be. They fall under hearsay exceptions, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Devin Nunes is still a white house toadie:

https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/870327299484377088

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Out of Trump's people's asses.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zeris posted:

Well you see, there's this thing called votes

There is no one actually working in the coal industry.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

psydude posted:

To an extent. Automation of the workforce is nothing new. Pilots and bus drivers will find themselves out of jobs in the next 50 years, but people working in skilled trades will remain employed because we're nowhere close to having AI capable of soldering pipes or wiring up a breaker panel.

Actually soldering pipes and wiring panels are tasks best fit for machines/computers and the AI needed to drive vehicles is significantly further off.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Reminder that the two term governor of Florida has prohibited state employees from using the term climate change. Florida will be under water before the rest, but by that point he'll have carpet bagged off to elsewhere for sure.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Lol. It's not soldering pipes in a factory. So we need an autonomous mobile robot which is capable of manipulating tools, can articulate fully, think it's way around problems and correspond with multiple levels of command. It's called a human. You are wrong basically.
Self driving things are considerably simpler. That said advanced large scale 3D printers could put skilled trades out of work, but that's just as far off.

If you're just talking about house-hold plumbing, then yeah, those types of things aren't easily machine replaceable. There's always some use for skilled labor, but very simple routine operations are exactly what automation is good for. I could very easily see piloted soldering/welding robots in the future for working in crawlspaces etc.

The closest thing we have to anything self driving right now is lane assistance and distance keeping, and neither of those are actually thinking on the fly, and there is still a host of problems with them. Driving a vehicle requires higher order cognition that we just simply do not have the artificial capability to duplicate.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 1, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

psydude posted:

Trucks will probably be automated before anything else, to be honest. That, and maybe fast food.

They already have automated trucks - they're called trains. I'm with you, though, that over the road long haul stuff is probably most likely to be automated first. Endpoint driving, though, is just as far off as cars.

And fast food could be fully automated as it is.

Cugel the Clever posted:

America's millions of truck drivers and the lovely podunk towns they depend on would like a word with you. Even if we don't achieve 100% autonamous vehicles in the next ten years, you can bet your rear end trucking companies will be asking themselves why they should pay much above minimum wage for a glorified babysitter as lane-assist is perfected.

Are you from an alternate universe? I have no idea where you're getting this unless you view 10 years as significant.

Driverless cars are not 10 years down the road because we still aren't anywhere near close to the cognition necessarily to truly be autonomous. Current tech only works (when it does actually work) on very well marked roads and very well defined routes. American roads are poo poo, our signage is poo poo, and it would take massive amounts of storage to manually code every troublesome intersection that the rudimentary software cannot handle. Various parts of cars will continue to have computer control to assist drivers, though. The stuff we're rolling out now is definitely cool and the safety features will save lives, but we're nowhere near having driverless cars that can actually drive anywhere and do so safely.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.0a7f946a2791

Kushner is megafucked. The white house story for why Kushner met with the head of a Russian bank in December was that it was a non-business related diplomatic meeting in anticipation of his position as a white house advisor.

The head of the bank, which immediately flew back to Russia and met with Putin after if travel records are correct, has said that the meeting was entirely non-diplomatic and focused entirely instead on Kushner's family business.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

666 posted:

all true, and imagine the societal advantages self driving cars are going to bring to the table. car AI will drive orders of magnitude safer and more efficient than human beings, leading to less cars per capita, less cars on the road at any given moment, lower accident-related costs, poo poo once car AI matures you'll pay an insurance premium for wanting to drive a car yourself.

Like with all other big inventions, cultural resistance against the newest thing will fade so fast that in 20 years the idea of people driving cars will seem the silliest thing.

Self driving cars won't eliminate all car wrecks (whenever we have actual AI that can drive them in 20-30 years if ever), but they will reduce drunk/tired/texting accidents. They'll also introduce other accidents due to software error, but those will eventually be mostly hammered out.

The big thing that AI transport is going to do is shift liability around, especially with shipping. I could imagine that OTR trucking once automated will adopt similar laws to admiralty for liability purposes since we already have a framework for it. But yeah, computer piloted poo poo is going to still crash, but probably not at the rate that people do now.

But all of this is a pipe dream because we're nowhere near having actual AI let alone something that can interpret a complex moving situation and react the same way a human can. Human cognition is still a mystery in a lot of ways, and although computers blow us away when it comes to computational power, they do not have the ability to critically analyze a situation and respond the way people do.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I hate to just post a tweet without a story but

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/870755480846651392

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://apnews.com/749ff6ea249942d28070c80aefdccf45/The-Latest:-Special-counsel

There's the article. Essentially, the Manafort FBI case regarding his Ukraine poo poo predated the Trump/Russia FBI probe. Mueller is simply consolidating and absorbing the case into his investigation. He may be absorbing investigations into Sessions and Rosenstein as well.

modedit: fixed url

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 2, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

KildarX posted:

:cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes:

Well at least Dubya is no longer the worst US president in the last fifty years or so.

ahem Obama was the worst president ever!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

All I remember is the Qatar radio people telling Iranians to shut up and talking mad poo poo anytime we transited the SoH.

Edit: I mixed up Qatar and Oman. Never dealt with Qatar. Omani people would talk mad poo poo to Iranians, though.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 5, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't remember the Qataris doing this. The Omanis on the other hand talked poo poo over the radio constantly.

poo poo you're right it was the Omanis doing it. I've never dealt with Qatar.

That was the highlight of the transit. All the tense preps, briefings, etc and then trying to conn through all the traffic only to hear a just stream of poo poo talking towards any Iranian that harassed us.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Some dude showed up to his former place of business this morning in Orlando, shot and killed 5 people then himself.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

tastefully arranged labia posted:

I'm probating you if you use military time again

Could always just do it to send a message.

facialimpediment posted:

Huckabee-Sanders threw up a bunch of poo poo at the briefing, but she confirmed that the administration won't use executive privilege for Comey.

Comey testimony, 1000 Thursday :toot:

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/871792755017732096

They can't invoke it anyways since Trump loves to tweet and has already effectively waived it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bird food bathtub posted:

It's the usual strong man bullshit. "I'm such a nice guy I'm not going to do this thing I cannot do. But I totally could since I'm such an alpha male manly man's man uber man. But I won't do it because I'm so nice. But still strong. Because it's my choice not to do this thing I cannot do."

I read this at first as a response to the idiot king's warning instead of Trump's executive privilege and was like :drat: then I realized what you meant.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ok CBS confirmed this as legit:

https://theintercept.com/2017/06/05/top-secret-nsa-report-details-russian-hacking-effort-days-before-2016-election/

NSA docs detailing the state level russian attacks on our election systems in the days leading up to the election last year. No details on how many were successful nor how deep any got, but targeted emails of a shitton of candidates plus direct assaults on various election systems.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That's why I went conspiracy thread with it first, but then I saw CBS confirm it.

Lou Takki posted:

Should be noted, this is detailing one specific attack. There are likely others this report doesn't cover and ones we may not know about

This times 1 million. I think my favorite joke so far was "wonder if Trump's 3 million illegal cast votes was just projecting"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Are phishing scams super hard to detect now or something? They still point to a website that isn't actually google/apple/whatever, so are people just not checking these things when they work in really secure places?

People are idiots. Social engineering has always been the best vehicle for espionage and will continue to be in electronic format.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The DOJ just announced charges against the contractor that leaked that NSA report:

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/871836350709891073

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

KildarX posted:

You think anyone told Trump the only people in the region not funding terrorists in some capacity is probably the Kurds?

Of course not because the Kurds are terrorists themselves according to our Turkish friends.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Apparently there is a gunman/hostage situation at the Iranian parliament.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Trump's FBI director pick works for a lawfirm that has been representing Rosneft for over a year now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zeris posted:

Can you PM me with details?

I'm 100% certain that he's joking.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

:stare:

Are you loving serious?

Yeah i can dig up the tweets later when i'm home and not phoneposting.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Trump is currently giving a presser over infrastructure and brought binders full of props that he thumbed through and then tossed to the side.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

No one was expecting Hillary to single-handedly crush the prison industrial complex, just not personally benefit from that sort of exploitative labor. Hire mansion servants at fair market wages, issue a statement about not accepting slave labor just because there's a constitutional exemption for the particular form of it she was enjoying.

:lol: at anyone in the south giving two shits about prison laborers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Acebuckeye13 posted:

ehhhhh, prison labor in America has a long history of being used as a de-facto replacement for slavery, especially in the post-Civil War era.

It still is just a few miles away from me in southern georgia. Yes it is wrong. This is not the thing to bitch at Clinton about, though, especially with almost 40 years of hindsight. Yeah, I agree with you that prison labor is poo poo and if I were personally governor's spouse it would be something that I would be against. However if you expect Clinton, already under attack for not being a proper housewife, could have done anything politically to change the entire culture of the nation you're out of your drat mind.

It just seems like something stupid goons are dogpiling on without looking at it through context.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mostly agree with your points.

In other news, people have sued Trump for violations of the emoluments clause. The response the DoJ submitted points to poo poo Washington and other contemporaneous political figures received. However they kindof miss the point because most of those gifts predate the constitution and are a reason the emoluments clause exists in the first place.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ZombieApostate posted:

People like these don't deserve to be used as slave labor the rest of their lives. Not everyone in prison is there for being a druglord murderer selling to kids.

I don't think anyone will disagree that bullshit mandatory minimums and other stupid poo poo shouldn't put people behind bars for life.

However that's not what we're talking about and those weren't the people working for Clinton. The majority were people convicted of murder.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bird food bathtub posted:

On the other hand private corporations running prisons as profit extraction vehicles is 50 shades of hosed and maybe shouldn't be allowed based on both how hosed up that is and also the effect that profited money has on our law making.

Absolutely right, but that's not the point. Clinton didn't have private prison imates working for her. One of the Arkansas work programs for prisoners was to function as stewards/caretakers of the governor's mansion. This is worlds apart from modern private prison contracting to work for private companies and exploit minor drug offenders as free labor.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mlmp08 posted:

Hey, maybe ISIS good and part of Trump strategy?
-Republican Congressman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vD1pJR98dA

For those that don't remember, this is the rep that the republicans openly joke is on the Russian payroll.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doc Hawkins posted:

It's not apples and oranges: the prisoners were not paid for these work programs, and were punished if they refused to participate, and anyone who used their labor saved money.

At any rate, the truly blood-curdling bit is not that Clinton lived in a mansion whose grounds were kept by legal slaves, it's what she had to say on the subject in the book. I highly recommend tracking the excerpt down either in text or audiobook form. People are posting it all over. She calls it a long-standing tradition, assures the reader that she and Bill reported even minor infractions to the overseers, discusses the parts of the brain responsible for impulse control, all but says that they seemed remarkably human.

Forgive me for not posting it myself, I plead the phoneth.

Which makes absolute sense when you look at it from the eyes of someone 40 years ago. I've read the excerpt. Yeah, she's tone deaf. This was (and is still) the way the grounds at many governor's mansions all across the south are kept and maintained. There's a lot of goon handwringing over this, but it's really not the story that people make it out to be.

Clinton did not cause any of those people to commit the crimes nor did she convince a jury of their peers they were guilty. Yes, improvements have been made in prisoner treatment (in some ways) over the past couple decades, but you're still trying to judge someone harshly with the benefit of hindsight. There was zero she could have done to change the situation, and because of it she became close with convicted murderers and other criminals.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zeris posted:

I'm guilty of helping this argument snowball in the CE thread. That said, Shim is right, please discuss this in a new thread. Prompt: instead of prisoners manicuring governors' lawns for free, it should be soldiers.

Finally something useful for garrison army.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

M_Gargantua posted:

I have shoveled snow in the Great Lakes winter

I have mown grass at training commands

I have been forced to squeeze into spaces inches from hot steam pipes for cleaning (and been burnt more than once)

And through all that I've trained to become skilled at skating

Yeah I snow shoveled at great lakes, too. Less than fun.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I swear to god I'm inches from probating Hillary Clinton chat.

I come in peace. I didn’t bring mods. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you gently caress with me, I’ll probate you all.

Really not trying to perpetuate clinton chat and I'm sorry for that. The stupid goon hyperbole over this just needs correction.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Incoming investor lawsuits as Uber CEO is on a leave of absence. I think after losing yet another billion dollars according to their non-gaap accounting that shareholders have had enough. I don't see uber sticking around for much longer and the promise of "self driving ubers" is loving fantasy especially after google finishes suing them into the dirt.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dead Reckoning posted:

Eat. poo poo. "It's really not worth meaningfully opposing this. After all, none of us are going to lose our insurance. Now, let's talk about how our base is going to come crawling back without us having to change anything."

What they're saying is there's no point in trying to use rules to delay it or any other legislation at the moment. They cannot delay it forever, and might as well put it to an up or down vote so they can all vote no.

Don't read a clickbait headline and assume that's what's going on. There's no way to stop the republicans from passing whatever they want. First we're getting a $900 billion tax break for the 1% and then we're gonna see another few trillion on that before they're done. There is nothing that can be done to stop them so quit getting up in arms about it. Instead, get active and get out on your streets working to prevent this from continuing after 2018. Flipping at least one of the houses is the only thing you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also they didn't ban reporters just tv crews. I agree it's chickenshit, but reporters are still going to be in the hallways waiting for people. It just won't be filmed.

• Locked thread