Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Anyone know where I can find more information about the "Beer and Whiskey" league?

I saw plaque commemorating the Reds founding it, and now I want to read up more on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Nope, that was #7, making it a new record!
Holy poo poo, you think everything that can be done in baseball has been done, and every year there's something new

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Twin Cinema posted:

Stick a fork in Grilli, he's done.

Four home runs in 2/3 of an inning. 4.7 HR/9 before today over the season (in 17.2 innings, but whatever).

That was glorious.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brewers pen situation: :tif:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Holy poo poo, you think everything that can be done in baseball has been done, and every year there's something new

Baseball really is the greatest isn't it? :D

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm excited about the Yankees and may be a Yankees fan.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Twin Cinema posted:

Stick a fork in Grilli, he's done.

Four home runs in 2/3 of an inning. 4.7 HR/9 before today over the season (in 17.2 innings, but whatever).

So glad I didn't have time to watch the game yesterday.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Pujols hits 600, Volquez pitches a no no and 7 grand slams, not bad for a day of baseball.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jimmy Piersall has passed away at 87. :smith:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Albert rules and I hope he signs a one day contract to retire a Cardinal.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
It'll never happen, but Bryce Harper has interest in signing with the Cubs when he hits FA.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/bryce-harper-reportedly-eye-cubs-fit-budget-015708784.html

Not getting my hopes up, but that lineup.... :circlefap:

A guy can dream

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

Albert rules and I hope he signs a one day contract to retire a Cardinal.

I think he has a multi-year personal services clause in his current contract after the player years are through. I'm not familiar with sports law enough to know: Would that preclude a 1-day contract to retire as a Cardinal?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Your Taint posted:

It'll never happen, but Bryce Harper has interest in signing with the Cubs when he hits FA.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/bryce-harper-reportedly-eye-cubs-fit-budget-015708784.html

A guy can dream

The Cubs are deffo the "cool" club right now so it would make sense for a young guy building a brand to go to a place like that, plus don't dudes like playing for Maddon?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

euphronius posted:

I'm excited about the Yankees and may be a Yankees fan.

This is a right and proper opinion.

As if everything else wasn't fun enough, Judge is tied with Gardner for stolen bases now.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Your Taint posted:

A guy can dream

Harper and Bryant both grew up in the same area and were born in the same year. Maybe he wants to play alongside his buddy.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
justin smoak has more rbis than strikeouts. 37-36.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Taint posted:

A guy can dream

You'd have to get Heyward off the books for this to realistically happen, both because he's position blocking Harper and because his contract is huge and even if Harper really does want to go to the Cubs, he's a Boras client and would still require a $400-500m contract. Hell, you might even have to dump Lester, too. Even if you did that, you'd have 2-3 years of of the current core + Harper, and then everybody hits FA and the Cubs would only have the budget to sign Bryant + maybe one other guy of the Hendricks/Javy/Russell/Schwarber/Contreras youth core. There'd also be no money for free agent pitching, which means both the rotation and the pen would have to be anchored by prospects, and that's after the Cubs invariably have send some guys away in order to salary dump Lester/Heyward.

Don't get me wrong, Harper and Bryant on the Cubs is a stupidly fantastic dream, but with the new CBA's luxury tax shenanigans, I just don't think it's financially feasible.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

You'd have to get Heyward off the books for this to realistically happen, both because he's position blocking Harper and because his contract is huge and even if Harper really does want to go to the Cubs, he's a Boras client and would still require a $400-500m contract. Hell, you might even have to dump Lester, too. Even if you did that, you'd have 2-3 years of of the current core + Harper, and then everybody hits FA and the Cubs would only have the budget to sign Bryant + maybe one other guy of the Hendricks/Javy/Russell/Schwarber/Contreras youth core. There'd also be no money for free agent pitching, which means both the rotation and the pen would have to be anchored by prospects, and that's after the Cubs invariably have send some guys away in order to salary dump Lester/Heyward.

Don't get me wrong, Harper and Bryant on the Cubs is a stupidly fantastic dream, but with the new CBA's luxury tax shenanigans, I just don't think it's financially feasible.

No-one's going to take on that Heyward contract unless the Cubs pick up at least 75% of the money remaining. It's possible they could look to trade Schwarber instead but they'd need a massive bounce-back season from him in order to get more than a PTBNL in return.

Financially it's possible but Harper is going to want at least 35MM so they'd need to have a lot of payroll space going into 2019. That means not spending top dollar on FAs in 2018 or, at the very least, giving them 1-year opt-outs.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 4, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think it's a pipedream but the Cubs should have a big local TV contract coming due when Harper hits free agency. Also Heyward has a no-trade clause up till 2020. Cubs also have a really good RF in the pipeline.

Feels like the money would be better spent on a starter.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 4, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Yeah, I think they'd be much better served throwing money at Darvish or MadBum rather than Harper.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

I think it's a pipedream but the Cubs should have a big local TV contract coming due when Harper hits free agency. Also Heyward has a no-trade clause up till 2020. Cubs also have a really good RF in the pipeline.

The problem is less the money itself and more the new CBA. The luxury tax limit now acts as a soft salary cap, both because the luxury tax is extremely punishing, and because exceeded that threshold by $40m or more automatically results in your top draft pick being bumped down 10 spots. There's just not enough salary room to carry Harper + the rest of the core team. Even if all the pieces align, you're essentially getting a three year window of a super team before everybody hits free agency.

Julio Cruz posted:

Financially it's possible but Harper is going to want at least 35MM so they'd need to have a lot of payroll space going into 2019. That means not spending top dollar on FAs in 2018 or, at the very least, giving them 1-year opt-outs.

Pretty much. It's cool to dream, but imo it's almost certainly a pipedream.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Cubs fans last year and assuming it'll be like that every year has taught me to really cherish this year's team.

Because it could come crashing down sooner than you realize.

Beller
Apr 9, 2009

Niwrad posted:

hahahahaha

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

The problem is less the money itself and more the new CBA. The luxury tax limit now acts as a soft salary cap, both because the luxury tax is extremely punishing, and because exceeded that threshold by $40m or more automatically results in your top draft pick being bumped down 10 spots.

God, Marvin Miller would have taken that proposal, dropped it on the floor and pissed on it right in front of Manfred. Fehr probably would have done the same.

I miss the days of strong MLBPA leadership, instead of that spineless shitlord Michael Weiner, or Tony Clark, who just seems to be incompetent and let the union eat a whole ton of poo poo sandwiches just because he didn't have to concede an international draft.

Niwrad posted:

I think it's a pipedream but the Cubs should have a big local TV contract coming due when Harper hits free agency.

:laffo: if you don't think the RSN bubble will have completely burst by 2020.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hey I don't think this was answered in the previous thread: Did anybody buy Smart Baseball by Keith Law?

And if so, is it worth buying if you already know advance stats and whatnot?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I'm sick as a dog and been sleeping all day but its certainly pleasant to wake up to a sweep of the Rangers

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Hey I don't think this was answered in the previous thread: Did anybody buy Smart Baseball by Keith Law?

And if so, is it worth buying if you already know advance stats and whatnot?

I liked it, but I wasn't super familiar with a lot of the reasons behind why old stats are bullshit beforehand

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Am I reading the Cards / Cubs box score correctly? Hendricks threw 121 pitches in four innings? :stare:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Am I reading the Cards / Cubs box score correctly? Hendricks threw 121 pitches in four innings? :stare:

He threw 82, 43 of which were in the 4th alone.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Timby posted:

Hendricks threw 82 pitches. His control this year is faltering big-time. :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bullpen didn't turn into pumpkins today! :peanut:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

I'm sick as a dog and been sleeping all day but its certainly pleasant to wake up to a sweep of the Rangers

6 IP 9K for Peacock

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Is :pray:ing for another 2015 stunning turnaround too much and it's time to start lining up dem offers for Darvish?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros are much better than they were in 2015, the Rangers much worse, and it took an unreal collapse for the Rangers to snag the division

Send Darvish to Houston thnx, Texans supporting Texans

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Yeah, it's basically a perfect storm of the Astros being better than ever and the rest of their division being worse than expected.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sample size caveat and all, but Springer's last three series (9 games, basically everything since I talked about how he was slumping and disappointing)

22/42, 7 HR, slash of .524/.533/.976

Sorry to doubt you bud

Certainly helps explain the 10 game win streak, especially with how Correa is raking as well

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 5, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm hoping I get completely annoyed at how much that Happy song gets played on Cubs broadcasts over the next 6+ seasons. :getin:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

6 IP 9K for Peacock

Dang good for him

The Astros have a chance to straight up bury the division this month. Remaining games:
4 @ Royals
3 Angels
3 Rangers
3 Red Sox
4 @ A's
3 @ Mariners
3 A's
a 3 game series against the Yankees starts on the 30th.

Red Sox and Yankees are the only clubs over .500 in that stretch and there are a lot of games vs the division.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/Brewers/status/871744403823616001

This was the PTBNL that completes the Thornburg/Shaw trade.

Tyler Thornburg: On the 60-day DL with what the Sox think is a nerve issue in his shoulder.
Red Sox 3B have combined for 54 wRC+ and -0.6 WAR so far this season.

Travis Shaw has a 123 wRC+ and 1.3 WAR.

:gary:

EDIT: Oh and the Brewers also got Mauricio Dubon, IF who is hitting .294/.346/.383 with 25 steals in AA.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The Brewers had also received Dubon and Penington. What a trade.

• Locked thread