Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Dont be mean to me, last thread posted:

The Cubs are NL, and a little too on the road for it (they'll get there next home game though).

Unsurprisingly, Dodgers outdo everybody, even on average. (not updated for tonight at time of posting, but in a few hours probably)

And also on the road; wild.

Also lol Angels dead last on the road (seriously though, they had Trout, how) and man the Rays need to start handing out free game tickets with a 10-gallon fuel purchase or something.

The Angels have played mostly bad attendance teams on the road. They've played at TB, Oakland, Miami, Kansas City, Seattle and Houston; all bottom 10 in overall attendance. The only above-average attendance teams they've played are @Mets (15) and @Rangers (9). Some of that might be the Angels not being a huge draw, but alot of those teams are always at the bottom of yearly attendance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Everyone's gotta have a "I remember going to that pitcher duel" story. Pitcher duels rule.

I got to see my team beat best pitcher on the planet Justin Verlander during his MVP season 1-0: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ANA/ANA201107050.shtml

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

iospace posted:

I have never seen an extra inning game in person. Dunno if I should feel lucky or unfortunate.

My group got kicked out of a game in the 14th inning because my cousin's wife was still too loving drunk to walk. She's from Boston and was going crazy when they scored: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ANA/ANA201408090.shtml

I got to watch the last 3-4 innings from home. I remember hearing the cheers from the parking lot when the Angels tied it up, I thought they had just walked it off.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
The Angels signed Gary Matthews Jr. to a massive contract, and then traded Mike Napoli for Vernon Wells, and then signed Josh Hamilton to a massive contract. This was 3 different GMs doing this poo poo, but likely all ordered by Scioscia/Moreno. The Angels have had to spend their way out of making lovely decisions for the last decade, if they didn't have the money that they do they'd be just as inept as the Pirates.

I think they thought that Dexter's shoes had a W flag shoutout on them. Thats Cubs.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I assumed that all teams raised their prices depending on the demand for tickets. The Angels have "dynamic pricing" where games vs the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers are more expensive (plus Cubs/Cards when they see each other, which is pretty rare).

I went to a Jays game this year but didn't pay for the tickets, I'm not sure if they were more expensive or not.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Inspector_666 posted:

What's the parking situation like at Angel Stadium? I'm flying out to my company's CA office and I'm gonna get to a game since the Yankees will be in town, but I'm not sure if I should drive up there myself from Irvine or what.

Go see a Mets doctor and they'll have you back on the field tomorrow!

Parking is $10 and the Angels have the biggest most convenient lot in baseball. Depending on traffic you'd either be taking the 5 and exiting City Drive (becomes State College) or the 57 and exiting Orangewood. State College is closer to 3B/LF and Orangewood is closer to 1B/RF but it doesn't make too much of a difference.

I would drive if you have access to a car, it'd be cheaper than getting an Uber/Lyft, parking included.

Comedy option is to take the Angels Express metrolink from Irvine Station to the Artic so you can see how lovely SoCal public transportation is. $7 round trip.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

IcePhoenix posted:

August 1, 2016 Traded RHPs Ricky Nolasco and Alex Meyer and cash to the L.A. Angels for LHP Hector Santiago and RHP Alan Busenitz.

Nolasco and Meyer have both been more valuable this season than Santiago, not that any of them have been particularly good. Meyer at least has put up a 103 ERA+ and has several years of control left.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

bawfuls posted:

Andrew Miller before the Dodgers: 31.1 IP, 0 HR, 1 ER, 0.29 ERA, 0.88 FIP
Andrew Miller after the Dodgers: 33.2 IP, 2 HR, 6 ER, 1.60 ERA, 1.87 FIP

Whoa he had one bad game? I guess 1 solo HR in 1.2IP is a bad game for him too, so make that two bad games.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
The Angels have managed to go 9-8 (2 out of 3 vs the Astros and Yankees each) without Trout. Eric Young Jr. is having a terrific couple of weeks since he got brought in to replace Trout, and Maybin and Calhoun have been hitting really well too.

I don't expect it to continue until Trout's return because its the Angels we're talking about, but it'd suck to have to bench Young/Maybin while continuing to play Pujols/Cron/Valbuena at the 1B/DH positions. One of those outfielders needs to get a 1B glove because they'll keep putting Pujols at DH until he dies even though he is literally a below replacement level player at this point.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Albert is going to be so bad in the last 5 years of his contract that as a whole his career numbers are pedestrian and he misses the hall all together.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Angels released Doug Fister. He either had to be put on the MLB roster or released today. His statline was 15.2 IP, 7R, 16H, 5BB, 15K. Not sure what kind of stuff he had but I guess he didn't impress the Angels much in the 3 starts he had in AAA Salt Lake.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

This was the Carlos Guillen v Jered Weaver game too, right?

I remember it fondly.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

NiceGuy posted:

Speaking of abortions the Red Sox just claimed Doug Fister

I'd love to see Fister shut down the Angels after they didn't put him on the MLB staff in favor of whatever the hell Parker Bridwell is, shiny ERA with dismal stats backing it up.

At least the Angels will miss a Chris Sale start this weekend.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Intruder posted:

I like to think Marisnick-Springer-Reddick is better :getin:

(defensively)

Trout Bourjos Hunter was an insane outfield defensively.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Aren't there approximately 29 other teams that could use Montero's services?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Poque posted:

A $14m backup catcher who can't throw out runners?

He is cool, but bad.

Well I mean if he is being DFA'd I'd assume that the Cubs would be eating a decent chunk of his salary to be able to move him.

I'm used to catchers that can't throw out runners and also can't hit so maybe my frame of reference is skewed.

• Locked thread