Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Carlosologist posted:

Edinson Volquez dedicated the game to Jose Fernandez and Yordano Ventura :unsmith:

Considering how Edi pitched in the World Series, maybe the Marlins should kill someone Edi loves every five days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I am legitimately sad Moose is gonna get traded because I think he has a shot at Balboni's record. Jesus the Royals home run record is an embarrassment.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I know we are all salivating over Judge and I admit he is way better and more exciting, but Mike "Moose", Mike "Career High 22 Home Runs", Mike "94 OPS+" Moustakas hit 2 dongs today giving him 17 home runs which puts him well ahead of Balboni's pace.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

There are 7 teams in the AL within 2 games of a wild card spot (10 if you count the three holding wild card spots). No team in the AL is more than 5.5 games back of a wild card spot. Meanwhile in the NL, not counting the two teams holding the wild card spots, the next closest team is 8 back of a WC spot.

:psyduck:

What a weird season.

The NL currently has 5 teams above .500. Right now every team in the NL with a record above .500 is holding on to a playoff spot.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

LoCain hit two taters last night. Cain will probably, or at least should, be dealt at the trade deadline. This got me thinking about where Cain ranks among Royals center fielders. At the end of the day he is a league average hitter (out of 66 qualified centerfielders between 2011 and 2017, LoCain's wRC+ of 106 is tied for 19th with Brett Gardner and Randal Grichuk) but obviously his value is his defense.

It is pretty clear to me who are the four most significant CFers in Royals history: Amos Otis, Willie Wilson, Carlos Beltran, and Lorenzo Cain. Willie Wilson logged 15 years in KC and A.O. 14. So obviously Cain is never going to catch them on counting stats or WAR. And Cain's best season, 2015 when he was all-star and finished 3rd in the MVP race, is, according to BR, not as good as 1980 Wilson or 1978 Amos Otis. Though technically Wilson was in left for most of 1980. Then again, Cain's best year he carried a team to a World Series. So I think of the four players, Cain has the best claim to having the most memorable season. As for career numbers, while this is a dumb way to do math and doesn't say very much, on average Cain put up 2.9 fWAR per season versus 3.0 for A.O. and 2.34 for Willie Wilson.** If Cain finished the year a Royal, which he won't, he would almost certainly pass A.O.'s mark. Most of this, like I said, is based on his defense. A.O. was a much better hitter than Cain, but Wilson and Cain were superior defenders.

Beltran is a bit hard to place. He won the Rookie of Year** which is super significant. He is by far the best hitter our of the 4 and he should be a Hall of Famer. Still, he would no doubt go into the hall as a Met which, I am sure, would lead to much weeping and gnashing of teeth in KC. While the Royals only really have one HoFer to celebrate, Beltran also played pretty exclusively in the dark years of Royalsdom. The teams he played for went a combined 423 and 547. Not that this is his fault by any means; the teams were bad not Beltran. Still... It is hard to build a positive mythology around losers and as time goes on I could see the fact Beltran started in KC more as quirky Beltran trivia than significant part of the oral history of the Royals.

Anyway, to bring this back to Cain. Cain was pretty clearly the best player on 2015 Royals. And as for the the 2014 squad, the squad that at the end of the year I declared was the best team I will ever see, he wasn't the best but I think he might end up being the most memorable. That team's mythology is pretty clearly built on speed, defense, and the bullpen. And while Salvy's walkoff hit in the WC is the flashbulb moment for that team, Cain diving all over the field sticks out in my mind too. He also won the ALCS MVP that year. Point is, dude is at the center of two pennant winners.

Alright, this was long and rambling and not tied to anything. But I guess the point is, I think Cain probably goes down in franchise history as the second or third most significant, which I think is different from best, Royals center fielder. And the is pretty cool.

*Beltran crushed everyone on that bad math, putting up an average of 3.56
** I am about to out myself as a youngster. I was a really dumb kid in 1999 and I distinctly remember being very confused by this because I sincerely believed that Beltran wasn't even the best rookie named Carlos on the Royals. God drat I loved Carlos Febles. I think he made one really spectacular jumping catch that stuck in my young mind.

edit: My final reasoning against putting Cain fourth is that flags fly forever.
Edit: Changed language to better reflect the possibility Beltran doesn't go into the hall.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 17, 2017

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are Beltran's HOF odds pretty decent? I've read several articles that assume he probably won't get enough votes to stay eligible for more than 1-2 years.

Good point. In a perfect world he gets in. But this is a world were both Loftin and Edmonds got hosed sooo... He will probably get hosed which is insane. Cause to me he is clearly a HOFer, but I'm a big hall guy.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

The Pussy Boss posted:

Beltran feels like a classic "Hall of Very Good" player to me. Never won an MVP or came close. Was never really in the conversation for best player in baseball at any point in his career.

I'm not sure that is fair. He should have at least been in the MVP conversation in 2006. He was a nine time all-star, won Rookie of the Year, and won both some gold gloves and a couple of silver sluggers. I mean, you are right he never won the MVP and his career overlaps almost completely with Albert Pujols, but it isn't like he went completely without accolade during his career.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

I'm trying to think of who else even stuck around for long enough to talk about. Brian McRae was there for a while, rarely hitting. They played David DeJesus out of position in CF for a long time--good player by Royals standards for the 2000's, but in my opinion never had the range to really play the position well.

I guess you could talk about Bo but his career mostly overlapped with Willie Wilson's and Willie was the better defensive player and took almost all of the starts in center. Well better defensive player but far from the more spectacular one, as is par for the course for anything Bo.

Damon is memorable no? I mean, he isn't as good as any of the other guys, but I would put Damon before DeJesus.

Edit: I didn't realize Damon split so much time with a Tom Goodwin. I don't even remember Goodwin haha.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 17, 2017

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Pancakes posted:

I think Beltran has a much better chance than Edmonds. I love Edmonds and even I can admit Beltran has a better chance. Was Edmonds EVER the best player on his own team?

Looks like his best season he was, hilariously, the third best player on his team. But according to BR he was the best player on his team in 2002 even though he finished behind Pujols in the MVP race. Also, hilariously, he wasn't an all-star in either of his best seasons, but he was in both the seasons after his best seasons which just shows that fan voting is funny and probably retroactive.

Edit: He was the best player on the world beater 1996 California Angels haha.

Edit: Final list of teams he was the best player for according to B-R: 1996 Angels, 2000 Cards, 2002 Cards.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 17, 2017

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

If you ever wondered if a team could get hot at the wrong time, consider today's news that the Royals are not looking to be sellers until they "collapse completely."

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

How to enjoy the show:

1.) Turn off the terrible music tracks.
2.) Turn off the commentary.
3.) Get spotify on your phone.
4.) Play spotify on your PS4 by connecting through your phone. Because you're using your phone it just plays in the background and you never have to put the game into suspension or anything.

Now whenever I sit down to play some DD I throw a few albums up on spotify and go. It's the best.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

MrMojok posted:

From what I'm reading here, the statistical fidelity of MLB The Show isn't too great?

Are there sliders or something you can adjust to make the games somewhat resemble real MLB play?

There are yes. But, on the other hand, statistical fidelity be damned!

I haven't messed with the sliders much, but in my honest opinion, much of the issue is actually the user.

I almost never walk playing franchise or DD. But my RTTS hitter, his walk-rate, while below average, is a respectable 7.7%. My conclusion is most players don't walk cause the are impatient, not cause the game doesn't throw balls. And why shouldn't they swing, swinging is fun. I think this also explains why the game produces fewer doubles, but more home-runs and than expected. Home runs are fun. I swing for the fences all the drat.

Anyway, if you actually do want to adjust sliders for more accurate doubles:triples:homerun ratio, my guess is you would need to drop power slightly and drop fielder speed. Outfielders get to balls down the line pretty quick.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Puig's suspension has been rescinded? Nice!

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I don't know what's better, the fact Stevie is gonna play 3 positions or the "catcher, move outta the way."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Also, I imagine it's easier to be a real good team with a bad bullpen than be a team that is only good because of its bullpen, if that make makes sense.

• Locked thread