Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Carlosologist posted:

in case you didn't love Clayton Kershaw already:

https://twitter.com/RLeesam/status/876579500104065027

Why was Hample trying to bargain with Kershaw for a ball? Isn't he the guy who literally wrote a book on how to best position yourself in each stadium to shag balls? I guess he just didn't feel like shoving more kids out of the way today?

Also Kershaw owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Luigi Thirty posted:

Remember when he snuck into that veterans-only game at an army base?

Then gloated about it on twitter like a moron, and had the nerve to get offended when people rightly told him to hand over all the balls he'd shagged to kids and gently caress off forever, yes.

Joey Freshwater posted:

First time ever Special blue laced balls that were only being used today. I'm assuming they'd use them again next year but still.

Oh I get why he wanted one, I just don't get why he was trying to haggle with Kershaw when he could just body slam a kid and steal one like usual.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Beltran never led the league in anything. But to be fair, he certainly should have had an MVP-2 in 2006. Beltran is a really, really, really good player. I think he should be in the hall, but if he just plays three more years he will be a lock with 3k hits :)

Also, Carlos Beltran has more games and PA's with the Mets than the Royals and was probably the best part of his career.

I feel like Beltran perfectly straddles the line between Hall of Fame and Hall of Very Good. Consistently excellent throughout his career in a way that makes you wonder how he never got an MVP (or really much hardware period) when you look at his baseball reference page, but at the same time he was never clearly the best at anything like you mentioned. I think I'd probably lean more towards him getting into the Hall than not, but he's certainly not a lock.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also the fangraphs guy then just tweeted back "lol @fangraphs".

Hample is a moron.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

coronaball posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else suffering a UCL injury sliding into a base. What a freak thing.

I thought he was sliding into home and the catcher came down on his arm while trying to apply the tag.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol if you think the Giants are actually going to rebuild, or even think about trading away their core players. Maybe you'll see Nunez/Cueto/Shark dealt at the deadline if they can get decent hauls for any of them, but the rest of the team is going down with the ship as long as their faces are selling tickets.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

So if she's not cooperating with the MLB investigation, we're incredibly unlikely to get anything more concrete around Russell potentially having beat his wife beyond a deleted instagram comment made by his wife's friend.

Ugh.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs calling up Zagunis who's been having a breakout season in AAA. Wonder how much of this is about helping Schwarber and how much off it is showing of Zagunis as a possible trade chip.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Probably a lot of "hey this guy gets on base at an extraordinary rate at all the levels he has been at" too. I wouldn't really call it a breakout season, as he did pretty much the same thing OPS wise in 2016 as well. Also he was a 3rd round draft pick, so he is obviously highly thought of with the Cubs. Also, 24 years old isn't "old" for AAA. Also he's the Cubs 6th ranked prospect.

All good points, the first article I read about him today seemed to imply he was having a power breakout, but his SLG/OPS are indeed inline with what he did in AAA last year so w/e.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Can someone who is smarter at Baseball explain to me what is going on with Kyle Schwarber? His K% and BB% are all in line with his 2015 numbers, except his BABIP is 100 points lower. His iso is also considerably lower, but if he can't hit the ball into play, that would explain that a bit too. Is he just being shiftted to death or what?

The shift is certainly part of it. He beat the shift in 2015 mostly by pounding balls through it very hard, but looking at fangraphs his Hard Contact% is down (32% vs 39.7% in 2015) and his Soft Contact% is up (22.4% vs 15.4%) which makes it really hard to beat the shift on the ground.

The other thing though is that Kyle's 2015 numbers are inflated a bit by his hot start. He went 15-69 (~.217 AVG) from September 1st to the season's end and really, really struggled against LHP, which is more in line with what we've seen this season. He was stupidly good in the Cubs two previous post seasons though, and since he was knocked out of the 2016 regular season more or less immediately his post season results stick out the most.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^^^
I'm aware of that, I'm saying that for fans (and sadly maybe for the FO too) the thing that stuck out the most going into this year was his post season success, because he's had so little regular season playing time.

Timby posted:

He's also swinging for the fences almost every time he goes up to the plate.

This applies to the entire lineup.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bewbies posted:

This is intense speculation but everything about Schwarber's numbers suggests that pitchers are giving him more high hard stuff and he's not been effectively catching up to it. Is there data to support this theory?

The high fastball has been killing the Cubs all season. Cubs have a lot of good low ball hitters, Happ and Schwarber in particular crush pitches low in the zone but can't catch up to high heat to save their lives. It's this year's version of the low and away slider.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of unwritten rules, apparently a lot of people are upset that Jarrod Dyson bunted successfully to bust up Justin Verlander's perfect game!

Which is super dumb because Verlander himself said he had no problems with it:

quote:

“It was a perfect bunt,” Verlander said, via MLB.com. “That’s part of his game. I don’t think it was quite too late, given the situation, to bunt, especially being as how that’s a major part of what he does. I really didn’t have any issues with it. It’s not like I got upset about it.”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:lol:

So it's okay in the sixth inning but the eight inning is "bush league". The unwritten rules sure are a cluster gently caress.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

They were in first on June 5, so I was right. :colbert:

Just gotta sweep the Nats, easy peasy. :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Rand alPaul posted:

Baseball is the only sport I watch and care about :(

:sigh::hf::sigh:

My sister has been trying to get me into basketball but lol the bulls

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

cis autodrag posted:

*harold reynolds is realistically dumb. he keeps marvelling at my player swinging first pitch despite the fact that the charts show that my player has not seen a single ball so far this season. no poo poo i'm swinging at strikes.

overall this is fun though the clubhouse vignettes are real cliche and it's annoying that jen jenkins has to look like a long legged fat man with a gray afro and yellow beard instead of rosie o'donnell in a league of their own.

If you think that's annoying, then be sure never to play a pitcher. Because every. loving. time. you strike out 5+ in a game, you get a vignette of your pitching coach coming up and complementing your strikout numbers. And every single time you only have the same two options: "Just like you taught me, coach" (:rolleyes:) or "Thanks." By about the 10th game in a row, I was really dying for a "gently caress off, coach" option.

To be fair though the devs have acknowledged that this was their first time trying to put any real life into RTTS, and it's not quite where they want it yet. Apparently it's their biggest priority for The Show 2018, now that they have Diamond Dynasty more or less where they want it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

alpha_destroy posted:

I almost never walk playing franchise or DD. But my RTTS hitter, his walk-rate, while below average, is a respectable 7.7%. My conclusion is most players don't walk cause the are impatient, not cause the game doesn't throw balls. And why shouldn't they swing, swinging is fun. I think this also explains why the game produces fewer doubles, but more home-runs and than expected. Home runs are fun. I swing for the fences all the drat.

CPU pitchers also don't throw many balls until you crank the difficulty up to All-Star or above. On Beginner they're basically throwing BP, and on Rookie/Veteran they'll mix pitch type and location in the zone fairly well, but sparingly throw off the plate.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

You could tell Rizzo was miffed about the La Stella thing last season, but he said "no comment" on it publicly.

I'm going to guess the clubhouse is in a slightly less harmonious state this time around, as well. As much as we'd like to believe that clubhouse chemistry breeds a winning team, more often than not it's a winning team that breeds clubhouse chemistry. Things probably were already tense before Montero ran his mouth to the media, so I'm not surprised to see Rizzo venting.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Carlosologist posted:

yuck, didn't the Cubs already do their White House visit?

They did, but some excuse regarding the WS Trophy being in town was contrived for the Cubs to visit the White House again. Presumably it had something to do with the bulk of the family that owns the Cubs being huge Republican shitheels.

:barf:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Taint posted:

Check out @ManuclearBomb's Tweet: https://twitter.com/ManuclearBomb/status/880128437905747968?s=09

Is Almora giving a sly middle finger? If that's intentional then I'm buying his shirtsey immediately.

I am Almora slyly flipping the President the bird while dressed like I'm about to give a class presentation in HS.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So Montero Responded on ESPN radio to the whole ordeal. Long story short: he regrets the comments he made in the heat of the moment, called Jake to apologize, and doesn't blame the Cubs for deciding to DFA him.

Honestly the whole thing is really sad. It can't be easy watching your game and role on the team slip, all while you're getting relentlessly pummeled on by fans and the media, for over a year and a half. I get that this is the second time he's barked to the media now and the organization decided to make a decisive move in response, but it still loving sucks. :smith:

I'll probably remember his PH grand slam in the NLCS game one for the rest of my life. The raw emotion of that moment was unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Poor kid :(

• Locked thread