Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
It'll never happen, but Bryce Harper has interest in signing with the Cubs when he hits FA.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/bryce-harper-reportedly-eye-cubs-fit-budget-015708784.html

Not getting my hopes up, but that lineup.... :circlefap:

A guy can dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

I hope it's not true, but if it is, gently caress him. Trade him and put Baez or Happ at SS.

He never pegged me as a wife beater. Goes to show you how well I can judge character.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 8, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Also how do you cheat on that? drat.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

:toxx: If the domestic violence allegations about Russell turn out to be true and the Cubs don't immediately get rid of him in response, I will take applications for a new team to root for.

I'm not rooting for another wife beater. I'd rather root for Ryan loving Braun.

Theo and Co seem to be big on character, but then again they traded for Chapman so...

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
For a while Russell seemed like a steal of a trade. Now if they dump him it'll probably just be a release because I don't know who would be willing to take the pr hit of trading for him.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

You and every team looking to contend this year. Like off the top of my head the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, Twins, Brewers and Cubs would all need rotation upgrades to make a viable post season run.

There's going to be a lot of demand for pitching and not a whole lot of quality pitchers to be dealt come the deadline, barring the Cards deciding to blow it up and deal their rotation.

FWIW he's denied it, although I'm not sure anybody expected a different response. For now all we can do is wait and see how it plays out; my fingers are still crossed that at least the abuse allegations aren't true.

I believe in "innocent until proven guilty" in both a court of law and the court of public opinion, but allegations like this usually have some merit. I don't want it to be true. If his marriage is in trouble that's one thing. It's another entirely if he got physically abusive.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

:agreed: It's clear something is going on between him and his wife, but the only allegations of abuse came from a third party - not Melisa herself - and the post was later deleted. That doesn't mean it's not true, but it does put it up in the air. If Addy was cheating on his wife that certainly makes me think less of him, but it's not the tipping point that physical abuse is to me.

Like someone upthread said, I can root for a player who is a jerk. A wife beater is different.

I didn't like Chapman at all, but at least we all knew he was a mercenary and not in the teams future plans.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Niwrad posted:

Kyle Schwarber for Chris Archer. Let's do this.

Russell for Archer.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

iKickDogs posted:

I also think the bird was calling for it. Bad form, Goldschmidt.

That bird should be shown the Randy Johnson seagull video.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Will Torres be out for a full calendar year like most pitchers?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Schwarbs is my boy and I hate to see him sent down but it's for the best.

Frankly not surprising seeing as except for 4 games and a pH appearance in the ws he didn't face ml pitching for an entire year. If he didn't have the ws he had he'd have started there.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 22, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

You could go 2-5 with a home run and a single every game of an entire season and your OPS would still be lower than Barry Bonds' was in 2004, the season where he turned 40.

Although my favorite Barry Bonds fact ever is there has only been one pitcher in history who faced Bonds 6 or more times and didn't let him reach base. That pitcher, Geremi Gonzalez, died by being struck by lightning.

Isn't something like 4/5ths of the 1996/7 Cubs rotation dead? Jeremi Gonzalez, Kevin Foster, Frank Castillo, and I think one other?

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 23, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Pancakes posted:

Speaking of dead pitchers, yesterday was 15 years since Darryl Kile. I feel both old and grateful for the chance to get old. :(

We had the TV on in he background for my mom's 50th birthday party with the sound off and I kept wondering why everyone looked all somber and there were people talking on screen when the game was supposed to be going on.

I didn't find out til I got home.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 24, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

sox are retiring buerhle's number today

Who the hell is Mark Buehrle?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Pancakes posted:

Speaking of The Show 17, I couldn't hit for poo poo tonight against the Marlins (admittedly at a higher difficulty). 16 hits, 22 innings. Luis Gonzalez had 2 errors in left and David Wright got gunned down at the plate in the 11th. Finally won in the 22nd on a walk-off single.

I'm just having fun on 16 on my PS3 (because I'm cheap) using my devastating forkball to strike out ALL the motherfuckers.

All of them.

1998 Kerry Wood wishes he was my rtts guy.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/879821831292801025

he has the record for most consecutive decisions with a loss

what a hard life :smith:

I think he set that with the Cubs in the early 90d.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Carlosologist posted:

Can't say I remember the last time I saw a guy DFAed right after criticizing the team

I think Zambrano was dealt away by Theo shortly after he was told the team would give him another chance.

My memory could be hazy on that, though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Julio Cruz posted:

"players who criticize other players are selfish, now let me tell you how our catcher sucks rear end"

Yeah that second sentence makes him kind of a hypocrite.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

ThePeavstenator posted:

Baseball is a 20-30 year echo of the NFL. The Cubs won their first World Series in forever last year, about 30 years after the Bears won their Super Bowl, and now are becoming mediocre, while the Brewers are rebuilding with young players replacing their decade of busts and injured vets and will now eternally sustain that sweet, sweet .550 win percentage every season and then lose early to mid-way through the playoffs every year just like the Packers.

You mean after two championships? :smug:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Check out @ManuclearBomb's Tweet: https://twitter.com/ManuclearBomb/status/880128437905747968?s=09

Is Almora giving a sly middle finger? If that's intentional then I'm buying his shirtsey immediately.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

I am Almora slyly flipping the President the bird while dressed like I'm about to give a class presentation in HS.

Yeah that shirt needs to be taken out back and shot.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

So Montero Responded on ESPN radio to the whole ordeal. Long story short: he regrets the comments he made in the heat of the moment, called Jake to apologize, and doesn't blame the Cubs for deciding to DFA him.

Honestly the whole thing is really sad. It can't be easy watching your game and role on the team slip, all while you're getting relentlessly pummeled on by fans and the media, for over a year and a half. I get that this is the second time he's barked to the media now and the organization decided to make a decisive move in response, but it still loving sucks. :smith:

I'll probably remember his PH grand slam in the NLCS game one for the rest of my life. The raw emotion of that moment was unreal.

I yelled so loud my throat still hurts.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Did we make a corresponding roster move after the DFA? Is Contreras the only c on the roster at the moment?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Maybe if he hadn't criticized Maddon about his playing time in the postseason he'd still he on the team, but you can't have a teammate calling out another teammate in the press like that.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
If you take away all his PA's where he got on base, he's slashing .000/.000/.000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Happy Booby Bonilla day!

• Locked thread