Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

I have never seen an extra inning game in person. Dunno if I should feel lucky or unfortunate.

thats too bad. miller park is really great during extras because all the babies leave and they reopen a couple of the concession stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
only brewer even on the list is ryan braun who has barely played this season because he is a fragile glassman without his special juice.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

He's been fragile with it.

What I'm saying is he needs to go.

yeah, i was yelling all last year how stupid it was that they weren't trying to sell him off when he had like 3 months of uninjured high-performance baseball. his trade value hit a high watermark somewhere around last August and they just did nothing with him. probably because his contract is really fuckin big and he's a dick with a reputation for being injury prone.

it shouldn't be any surprise that they're pushing guys like Thames, Arcia, and Peres as faces of the franchise now because braun is toxic even among brewer fans. we ignored what an rear end he was through the steroid thing because he was good and helped our team. but now he's just sitting with dumb injuries all the time and he tried to murder jean segura with a baseball bat so we're all just kind of over him now.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

He's a cheating fraud gently caress who stole the MVP from Matt Kemp by shoving needles up his rear end, then wiggled out of it because of a dumb technicality around the delivery of his urine sample. He's also a huge rear end in a top hat who does cool things like openly make fun of a mentally handicapped bat girl while the camera is on him in the dugout.

Basically gently caress Ryan Braun.

whoah, i didn't hear about this one. link? either way what a loving dick. i can tolerate drug use if it makes my team better cuz that's his body and his choice, but absolutely gently caress anyone who mistreats the disabled or fucks with someone's job to get out of trouble.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

Who the hell does warm up swings in the dugout?

Not A Team Player

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
reds fans, that's scooter gennett in a nutshell. a frustrating flawed player who will occasionally go on streaks of brilliance that make you think "maybe he's putting it together" but then nope he's still just a man who goes by the name of a muppet baby (really).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
it looked to me like it just scraped the top of one of the rings and sort of took a slight bounce back up and to the side.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

im the article mentioning his poor stats this year as though to give permission to cubs fans to turn on him

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

this is depressing, but i appreciate the thoughtfulness of the article. it relays the facts, the relevant laws, and provides actual context about the severity of the crime and the state's opinion that he's unlikely to be a danger going forward.

i imagine it's not going to tank him in the draft too much because it's not hard for a team to say "he didn't understand Oregon's laws but he's done everything by the book since his incident and the criminal justice system believes he is unlikely to reoffend". he'll probably get a much smaller signing bonus though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

You and every team looking to contend this year. Like off the top of my head the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, Twins, Brewers and Cubs would all need rotation upgrades to make a viable post season run.

The Brewers going for it this year would not mesh with what we've seen of Actual Boy Genius David Stearns's style so far and if they did do that I'd argue he should be fired immediately.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

Just because you're ahead of schedule doesn't mean you don't pounce on a window if it's opening. If the Brewers are still in first place in the division at the deadline, why not go all in?

did you miss 2014 where just this happened and then they completely collapsed because prospects playing okay for 3 months does not a playoff team make? see if your guys can sustain a performance for a full season before you go trading the farm for playoff pieces.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Whelp, time to order MLB.tv. I'm officially leaving the Brewers TV market and I refuse to become a fan of my new local team.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

They're too busy being preoccupied by the fact that Busch announced they're having a Pride night.

:sigh:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

N: brewers bullpen

V: it's poo poo

The moment Torres went out there I was like "why is Counsell giving up on a 1-0 game?"

Also Thames is really struggling with that k rate lately. He's swinging at stuff he wouldn't have even twitched at early in the season.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I wonder if his leg issues are worse than they let on. He came up limping after a pretty small looking spill yesterday.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It's pretty clear to me that he's saying because he's adopted he didn't literally grow inside her but that her heart (e.g. love and emotional support) is what grew him into the person he is. Or am I just getting wooshed on a run of deliberately disingenuous posts?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Just some jokes. They know he is adopted and his mother actually loves him.

cool, because my first reaction to that tweet was "awww, how sweet. that baseball man loves his adopted parents and doesn't have issues about it, he could be a cool role model for other adopted kids."

but i'm a big softy :3:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

alpha_destroy posted:

The NL currently has 5 teams above .500. Right now every team in the NL with a record above .500 is holding on to a playoff spot.

i like how the brewers are one of these teams and i would consider several players to be in slumps right now. gives me hope for the next couple seasons.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

After a strong September last year, they gave me a glimmer of hope that "hey, we may be back in a few seasons". I'm not going to be upset if we miss the playoffs this year, either.

:yeah:

if they succumb to Attanasio's "win now" sickness this year I will be hecka upset. I just want to watch rookies play good and find their stride and worry about playoffs a couple seasons down the line.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Hopefully, for the Brewers fans sake, his "win now" sickness turns into actually spending good money on good players instead of allowing the team to trade the farm and spend lovely money like last time.

yeah, like i keep saying, the real test of Actual Boy Genius David Stearns will be in a couple years when he has to try to contend with Attanasio yelling in his ear.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Orlando Arcia me a sweet put out then hit an inside the park home run yesterday. Then Brewers happened. Still cool to see.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Intruder posted:

Reddick reinstated, Fisher optioned. Aoki remains an Astro

gently caress youuuuuuu.gif

aoki owns what is wrong with you. how can you hate a man with a repertoire of 37 situation specific batting stances?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Intruder posted:

Aoki is meh defensively, 35, and hitting for career lows across the board. Fisher has already spent a third of the season destroying AAA and has shown success in his first taste of the bigs, he has nothing left to prove and there's no reason to hold him down to keep an aging slap hitter who doesn't draw walks around

Is it possible they're super 2ing him? I can't remember the deadline

but, like, the mere spirit of aoki should make you love him unquestioningly. im not sure you understand this game if you expect players to be *good* to earn your undying love.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Inspector_666 posted:

Can't they just snip the tendon and get rid of the issue entirely? I guess that would probably have to wait until he's not playing anymore?

I thought I had plantar fasciitis for a while, but somewhat regular stretching for a bit seemed to get rid of it completely so I dunno.

It's not a tendon issue. Plantar Fasciitis is literally an inflammation of the Plantar Fascia, which is the whole complex of muscle on the sole of your foot. If you just sit down and elevate it for a day or two when you first notice pain it will totally go away. If your job is to be on your feet, run hard, etc constantly it's just gonna get worse and worse. I imagine that the way they treat someone like Albert is to just jack his feet full of cortisone every chance they get, but it's basically impossible for an athlete to actually recover from without going on the disabled list for a long-rear end time and who wants to do that?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i like suicide squeezes.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
This kinda flew under the radar (there's not even a clip on MLB.com that I can find), but yesterday the Brewers' closer Corey Knebel broke the major league record for consecutive games with at least one strikeout: http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...a707398589.html

It's kind of cool how many young Brewers are doing great poo poo on a regular basis. I don't think I've seen the Brewers consistently on those plays of the week shows like they've been this year.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Joey Freshwater posted:

This "Cobb County Braves" poo poo annoys the hell out of me. They weren't the Fulton County Braves before and they're still in Atlanta. The deal the Braves had with Fulton county was garbage and Cobb county offered a better one.

Yeah I'm salty about it what of it?

wasnt the whole thing that their mostly white suburban fanbase didnt want to get so close to the "dangerous" parts of atlanta to attend games so they fled to cobb county without so much as planning adequate parking for the stadium?

if the Brewers moved to Brookfield suddenly they'd still technically be in the Milwaukee metro but people would make a big deal of that too.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

If the Brewers attempted to build a treehouse in Brookfield it would get voted down because then someone might see a piece of construction equipment. Or one of the construction workers may not be white and the concerned citizenry won't be able to immediately harass them by calling 3 squad cars from the speed traps they're sitting at.

Source: I grew up in Brookfield and worked construction/landscaping in high school and college.

I mean, they built that idiotic "the corners" mall+apartments just fine. I went to college at Carroll. Burn brookfield to the ground imo and take new berlin with it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's by the highway so they were able to get away with it. The literal plot to Parks and Rec took place when they tried to fill a giant abandoned quarry with some of the I-94 construction material and build a park there. It was defeated because some rear end in a top hat land developer wanted it for himself (and still has not bought it) and claimed that "there would be a dump truck every 30 seconds for weeks".

I think The Corners was literally planned out as taking a chunk of the 3rd Ward, putting an underground parking lot underneath it because lol @ suburbanites walking anywhere, and then putting it in Brookfield so no one has to travel to a "dangerous" area for good restaurants. I went to the Cafe Hollander there and the front of the menu had a big notice on it (which is not present on the menus of the one downtown) that basically said "If you order a craft beer, you're getting it in a craft beer glass, it's going to have some head in the glass because that's how it's loving supposed to be poured and served, no we're not going to top it off so your cheap rear end feels like you got your full money's worth".

is the cafe hollander there any good? ive been dragged to the one in madison a couple times and the food did not impress me. the beer selection was good though.

not that i care, im leaving this turd state in a couple weeks. only restaurants left on my farewell tour are a dirt nasty fishfry place and solly's.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
So now that I've bought mlb.tv in prep for leaving Wisconsin, what cool stuff should I know about in it and At Bat?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm not planning to share the account. Got in on the father's day sale anyway :)

Thanks for the tip about HD over wifi only.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i turned off the score updates because I watch every game but I usually watch on a delay because of work schedules. I had to do the same with Google now because it kept spoiling games.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
at home I'm gonna use my ps4. Is that app decent?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i got the show 17, which is my first baseball game since world series baseball '96 for the gensis. some thoughts:

*It's dumb that they trap you in a Cubs game with no way to exit and with no explanation that the game has to download even more crap that wasn't on the disc before you can play for real.

*let me have female players MLB, there's no rule that says a woman can't play baseball.

*after going 1-17 in the pre-draft exhibition and being drafted in the 6th round by the, ugh, cardinals, i realized you have to hold down the swing buttons not just hit them and i've gone .452avg .986slg through the first 8 games of the aa season. for some reason i am still the DH even though my guy's stats are all glove no bat, lol.

*harold reynolds is realistically dumb. he keeps marvelling at my player swinging first pitch despite the fact that the charts show that my player has not seen a single ball so far this season. no poo poo i'm swinging at strikes.

overall this is fun though the clubhouse vignettes are real cliche and it's annoying that jen jenkins has to look like a long legged fat man with a gray afro and yellow beard instead of rosie o'donnell in a league of their own.

thanks for reading bye

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tempted to buy a PS4 just for The Show because Xbone has exactly jack poo poo for baseball games and I've been jonesing pretty hard for one.

i bought the ps4 as a nice netflix/prime/hbogo box and bloodborne and the show are just sort of really dope extras.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

"2/3 of the world is covered by water, the 1/3 by baez". that's pretty good.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

CPU pitchers also don't throw many balls until you crank the difficulty up to All-Star or above. On Beginner they're basically throwing BP, and on Rookie/Veteran they'll mix pitch type and location in the zone fairly well, but sparingly throw off the plate.

yeah, this is what I noticed. I'm playing on beginner because, like I said, my last baseball game was on the Sega Genesis and I have genuinely yet to see a ball thrown to my RTTS guy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

elentar posted:

This is a good article on the Freeze guy: https://yhoo.it/2sL5pAI

Two things:
1) he runs a 4.28 40
2) he works on the ground crew and has to go from the park to midnight shifts at an Amazon warehouse

It is absolutely disgusting that a major league organization does not pay their employees enough to avoid a second job. Giving every single one of their ballpark staff $20/hr wouldn't even hit 1% of the payroll of the 25 guys on the field.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
was this posted

https://twitter.com/bobby/status/878867236244606976

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

Baseball is a 20-30 year echo of the NFL. The Cubs won their first World Series in forever last year, about 30 years after the Bears won their Super Bowl, and now are becoming mediocre, while the Brewers are rebuilding with young players replacing their decade of busts and injured vets and will now eternally sustain that sweet, sweet .550 win percentage every season and then lose early to mid-way through the playoffs every year just like the Packers.

careful, last time i said something like this someone bought be a lovely avatar

• Locked thread