Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Which central division is a bigger dumpster fire, AL or NL?

(also, I did wait till this morning to close it!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IcePhoenix posted:

It's not even 8 AM yet (for me)!

Same. I'll delay the closing later next time then.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Poque posted:

mods please password reset Kevlar's account

Done, OP

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

RCarr posted:

Wait, that's a costume?

:ssh:That's what they want you to believe.

Only Thor knows the truth.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have never seen an extra inning game in person. Dunno if I should feel lucky or unfortunate.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't see it happening. They may overpay for a guy with 1-2 years left on their deal, but I do trust that they won't overpay for a rental right now.

In two months, when that happens, what will you do?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

Dex with the subtle "W" on his shoes, I feel like a certain Twitter feed is going to be a gold mine this afternoon.

Maybe he'll decide to just stay here?

Which one, so we all know what to watch for.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

seiferguy posted:

I think the worst modern run baseball team was the Pittsburgh Pirates from 94 until recently. I don't think there's ever been a worse GM in baseball history than Dave Littlefield, especially after that rule 5 fiasco.

I'm sad, because there was a period where the Brewers made the Pirates their bitch.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

N: Kershaw and Nelson both pitch beautiful games, only giving up 1 run combined between the two. Crew lose though, but strike out 26 in the process. Dodgers fan 16. Highest combined strikeouts in any NL game.

V: I don't know what to make of this squad

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

dont be mean to me posted:

Other way around - Brewers got struck out 26 times and struck out 16 Dodgers.

Which means the Dodgers set the NL record and tie the Angels' MLB strikeout record, if Baseball Almanac is accurate.

Blame me being tired and BA and Rock being sort of ambiguous.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Luigi Thirty posted:

Please return Rickie Weeks, Jr. to wherever he came from.

Nope, he's your problem now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brewers pen situation: :tif:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bullpen didn't turn into pumpkins today! :peanut:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector_666 posted:

https://twitter.com/Brewers/status/871744403823616001

This was the PTBNL that completes the Thornburg/Shaw trade.

Tyler Thornburg: On the 60-day DL with what the Sox think is a nerve issue in his shoulder.
Red Sox 3B have combined for 54 wRC+ and -0.6 WAR so far this season.

Travis Shaw has a 123 wRC+ and 1.3 WAR.

:gary:

EDIT: Oh and the Brewers also got Mauricio Dubon, IF who is hitting .294/.346/.383 with 25 steals in AA.

Shaw has definitely paid off.

All told, we're doing better than most expectations this year (which simply were "better than last year"), but I think a lot of fans are waiting for them to fall off big time.

Oh well, none of us are expecting playoffs anyway.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Poque posted:

counterpoint: gently caress the Brewers

counter-counterpoint: gently caress the Cubs and the entire bandwagon it's riding on right now.

You're cool though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wonder how much of a boost Harper got from the fight.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

cis autodrag posted:

only brewer even on the list is ryan braun who has barely played this season because he is a fragile glassman without his special juice.

He's been fragile with it.

What I'm saying is he needs to go.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

At least he's on the DL, so it leaves a roster spot open for someone else.

Some Numbers posted:

What's the Ryan Braun story?

Between him and Prince Fielder, they helped shepherd in the Brewers in the late 00's as a pretty good team that made it to the NLCS one year (losing to the Cards). Signed a huge deal with the Crew, won MVP, proceeded to get busted for PEDs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, while there's probably some shitheads around here who will defend Braun as the greatest Brewer ever (somehow forgetting Yount existed), one gets the feeling he's sort of... there for a lot of fans. He's not the face of the franchise anymore (it went from him to Lucroy, and now Thames is), he's always hurt, and his performance has fallen off big time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grittybeard posted:

How many guys have won an MVP without making the all star game out of curiosity?

Ty Cobb didn't make the all star game

Of course, they didn't have it when he won MVP

ThePeavstenator posted:

The thing that owned the most about Prince Fielder was when he hit an inside-the-park homerun and the graphic of his baserunning path for it was just a circle.

I totally forgot he did that :allears: I remember the outfielder being pissed saying it got stuck under the fence while Prince just trucks around the bases.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pancakes posted:

Literally Scooter Gennett. What's weirder, this game for him or Philip Humber's perfect game?

Dallas Braden's.

Though he threw his on the most perfect day for him to have thrown one, given it was Mother's Day and he lost his mom to cancer

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Poque posted:

"I thought he was really good," manager Don Mattingly said. "I think it was just the fourth out that you're asking him to get in the fifth was the big one. Once he punches out Jay there for the third out, we just weren't able to get the fourth one."

this is some A+ legit salt

Yeah... it's one thing for umps to have different strike zones among them, but it's an entirely different thing when they aren't even nearly consistent about it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sydin posted:

Even more proof that NY is hilariously incompetent, like :lol: how does that call stand?

That was legit the worst route on a ball I've seen an OF take all season, though. I think Nunez would have made a better play on that.

Because Trop has terrible camera points, so they didn't have much to go on.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The gods giveth to the Sox, and they taketh from the Sox.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress the DH

I was going to say the NL Central is a dumpster fire.

Then I saw the east :yikes:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

N: brewers bullpen

V: it's poo poo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

cis autodrag posted:

The moment Torres went out there I was like "why is Counsell giving up on a 1-0 game?"

Also Thames is really struggling with that k rate lately. He's swinging at stuff he wouldn't have even twitched at early in the season.

I don't fault Counsell for leaving the guys in a bit long though. Day off tomorrow, figured he's all "Ok, we're not going to come back from this one, might as well TRY to get three outs and not use up the entirety of the 'pen."

Still, we need to call up someone, or at least trade for a bullpen.

Also Thames :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Even though Judge plays for the Yankees, I can't hate the guy at all. He seems real fun.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm the utter lack of brewers :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:laffo:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Julio Cruz posted:

6 pitches, all under 90 mph?

Inspector_666 posted:

Upper-90s FB, sadly.

Gods dammit.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Poque posted:

they sure do

Milwaukee has one of those too :ughh:

On a Saturday though, which is weird.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/HigginsFOS/status/875518396116353024

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mike_V posted:

Cardinals bullpen: remains terrible

We appreciate your efforts to be worse than our bullpen, as well as the three wins :tipshat:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Eduardo Nunez injured himself running out an infield single. Then two batters later Buster Posey injured himself hitting a home run. gently caress this stupid season.

All that even year bullshit karma is finally being cashed in, methinks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ammat The Ankh posted:

That's every odd year though. We didn't even win the World Series last year!

Doesn't matter, this is an odd year

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

cis autodrag posted:

i like how the brewers are one of these teams and i would consider several players to be in slumps right now. gives me hope for the next couple seasons.

After a strong September last year, they gave me a glimmer of hope that "hey, we may be back in a few seasons". I'm not going to be upset if we miss the playoffs this year, either.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

All the runs scored in the Brewers Padres matchup last night were off of dongs. Each team had at least two solo shots and a 3 run dinger. Thames put another one over the fence for the walkoff, giving the crew 4.

I'll take it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brewers had a GC for the first time in a loooooong while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I thought Zack Hample was cool.

Then I found out how much of a douchewaffle he is.

• Locked thread