Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Why do you say this?

The most high-profile torn thumb from a slide/surgery instance I can think of in recent memory is Yadi in 14, who was out for 7 weeks, came back with diminished power, then hurt his oblique trying to compensate. His power hasn't been the same since, but he's also Skinny Yadi now. Causation, correlation, etc.

YeahTubaMike posted:

N: Never forget.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/870108401598058496

Noah Syndergaard and Kevin Plawecki liked Barstool's Instagram post about it, which is great.

V: I get why the guy got fired, but it still annoys me because that was awesome.

I get tickets for a Mets/Nats game weeks ago tentatively scheduled to be a Thor start (6/16), then not only is Thor on the DL but we also get stuck with a rookie Mr. Met? Harper better hit a bunch of dingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ComposerGuy posted:

I need someone to figure out the scenario required for the Twins to make the playoffs and then be the team the Astros face for the Pennant.

Just have the season end as it currently stands, beat the Yankees and have the Astros beat the wildcard team.

E: That is, have them win the division. I didn't see they were currently tied.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Update: If the rotations hold (LOL Mets) then I should have pretty decent tickets to a Scherzer/deGrom matchup. Hopefully that holds and I get to see an awesome game.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bewbies posted:

At least they had potential aces, don't make me post the string of royals highly drafted pitchers from that era but I will if I have to god help me

I wanted to post something about Ankiel here but even allowing for him, I can't in good conscience complain about the Cardinals' drafting and development of pitching prospects.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bawfuls posted:

best part is that Dex retweeted it

I like Dex a lot and his trolling of the toxic BFiB crowd makes him even better. I really wish there were some charity event in Chicago where I could donate a lot of money and just hang out and talk poo poo with Dex or Waino for, like, three hours.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm watching the Cub game now and there's a Legit Lester Pickoff, a 12-pitch Heyward a/b that ends him slowly rolling it over to second, and a BEEFSLAM and I'm so angry at myself for watching Lester load the bases with no one out in the first and then peaking at the final score to decide whether to actually watch it.

I ragequit after the Schwarber slam. Judging by the box score I didn't miss anything that would have improved my day.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Matt Adams goes down in history!

Along with Kyle Schwarber. A day for fat men everywhere.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

Albert rules and I hope he signs a one day contract to retire a Cardinal.

I think he has a multi-year personal services clause in his current contract after the player years are through. I'm not familiar with sports law enough to know: Would that preclude a 1-day contract to retire as a Cardinal?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
The only thing keeping me from full-throated Astros fandom in the AL is lack of updates on Collin McHugh. Astros fans: Will he likely have a seat at the table when he returns?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Cubs were 40-17 after 57 games last year, so the Astros this year are doing a game better. As long as they're not playing against the Cubs in the World Series, I'll be rooting for them.

If they're playing against the Cubs in the World Series I'll buy you guys food from Piece if you can get on camera with a sign that reads "eckstein123".

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Intruder posted:

Dallas's beard is perfect much like Dallas himself :

Both of the perfect games I've thrown in MLB the Show 17 have been with Keuchel. Checks out.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

I like to play The Show before I have a game because I honestly think the batting practice mini game helps me IRL with pitch recognition.

I always use the "guess pitch" function for change ups down or sliders away because god help me, I can't pick up on them on my own and will swing at pitches even Javy would leave alone.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Literally Scooter Gennett. What's weirder, this game for him or Philip Humber's perfect game?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, all 4 of us

This past week has me just completely depressed about the Cardinals. I'm getting by rooting for the Astros and for Albert to hit some more dingers. When McHugh gets back I'll be even more vocal, probably. Hope you enjoy having a Cardinals fan as an ally!

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: According to my mom there's a picture of my dad and me in the "House Divided" Cubs/Cards exhibit of the Lincoln Museum in Springfield.

V: drat Yankees? The Cards shall rise again? I don't know, I've got nothing.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Dexter Fowler and his family remain adorable.

https://twitter.com/Cardinals/status/873374444596715521

V: Dear sweet baseball Jesus, keep the St. Louis racist trolls at bay.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

They're too busy being preoccupied by the fact that Busch announced they're having a Pride night.

God drat Cardinals fans. :sigh:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Craptacular! posted:

Judge is huge for a baseballing man, and it's cool that he's great and all, but it's weird when people go into Andre The Giant style freakshow mode about him. Among the general populace it's unusual but not THAT unusual. 6'7 is "fair chances of finding someone else in the stadium that height" tall.

I have a friend of almost 20 years who is the same height, and he lives in a tiny rear end low-density town, and he is not even the only person in the town who is that tall. I dunno. I don't mean to sound like a dick, I think the real story is that he is both an MLB player and very good.

6'7" and in that good of shape is pretty rare. I knew a lot of guys at or around 6'7" from my Ultimate Frisbee days but none of them were built like that.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

mikeraskol posted:

This Yankees team is incredibly fun to watch, and between Sanchez, Judge and Severino (with Torres and Frazier hopefully soon) we have this core of homegrown talent that is so exciting.

Better sign a sociopathic MVP to a record deal to repeat history. Who would this generation's A-Rod be?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Cook County Assessor's random bot detection text for me today was "beef69".

V: Cook County trying to make me root for Schwarbs.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Also, STL is doing a pride night this year, the team announced. Of course, there is controversy and horrible things being said about this.

Announced it this year, I thought the actual game was tentatively scheduled for next year.

Inspector_666 posted:

The best reaction to Pride Night is the very angry "WHEN IS CHRISTIAN DAY?!"

People from that area get super defensive about people who don't agree with their religion. When I was detasseling corn the idea that fossils were more than 6,000 years old was offensive heresy. Don't even get me started how well my sister's marriage to a Muslim of Pakistani descent went over...

That being said, I still love my offensive, terrible baseball team. :sigh:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Trip report from Citi Field: Scherzer good but he hits batters, Mets fans really hate Daniel Murphy but for the wrong reasons, nice park with great food options but steady diet of overhead airplane noise, lots of dingers and the apple is a stupid gimmick superior only to the Dinger Machine in Miami, specifically because it is less gaudy.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I think Beltran has a much better chance than Edmonds. I love Edmonds and even I can admit Beltran has a better chance. Was Edmonds EVER the best player on his own team?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Paul Zuvella posted:

He'ls got to be like the 8th or 9th center fielder by WAR, dudes a no brainer.

e: 8th by WAR, 9th by JAWS and 11th by WAR7. Dude is a Hall of Famer without a doubt.

Jim Edmonds was 16th on each of those metrics. I will sullenly repeat that he shouldn't have been a one-and-done. Scott Rolen is 10, 14, 10 for third basemen. Sad that he's likely to get the same treatment. At least one of the MV3 crowd is going into the hall.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Watching the Cardinals continue to fail miserably makes me wonder, do they have any pieces that they could sell at the deadline for a decent return? Oh, Rosey, Lynn or Gyorko seem like the possible candidates but I have no idea what their demand could be.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

RA Dickey's had a fine MLB career without even having a UCL. Teach Torres to throw a knuckler and he'll be fine.

I think Aledmys Diaz could probably jave thrown a knuckleball last year while fielding and possibly have the same number of errors.errors.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Intruder posted:

Hopefully Rolen is barred like all Cardinals should be

I hope we change the forum background to BradLidge.gif when Albert goes in with like 94% on the first ballot. :colbert:

Intruder posted:

Also I just saw the thing on Deadspin about how George Springer is using the bat designed for Mookie Betts. I had literally never seen the axe handled bats before. I think about all the blisters I could have avoided... (never felt quite right wearing gloves when playing softball)

I think Yadi tried to use one in the 2015 NLDS after he was viciously crippled by Rizzo.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I'm really surprised Holliday is trending that well as DH. I thought he was mostly just walking a ton with a couple of timely, dramatic hits. Was I wrong or is this just Yankees fans stuffing the ballot box?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Intruder posted:

Albert is exposed as the steroid monster he is and gets Bondsed

The Lidge homerun is retroactively rescinded, and baseball uses WhatIfSports to determined who the real champs would have been over the last 13 years if Pujols hadn't been in the league

Astros retroactively awarded the 05 championship, as game simulations show they'd have won with a closer who wasn't a broken shell of a man.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He'll soon be back, and with greater numbers.

If Schwarber did a Tusken Raider yell instead of a bat flip I might be able to get over my extreme prejudice against beefy individuals.

I will also take this time to point out that until this happens the Cardinals have the best Star Wars credentials, as Postseason Legend David Eckstein is married to the actress who voices Ahsoka Tano, whoever that is, in the Star Wars animated series.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

tadashi posted:

:goonsay: For those who don't follow Star Wars beyond the films, she's Anakin Skywalker's former Padawan and maybe the most prominent non-film post-original trilogy character in the SW Universe at this point. That was a pretty awesome opportunity Ashley picked up and she and David are pretty huge nerds (she has a line of SW inspired clothes and I think she designed David's wrestling costumes). Could David do anything more to endear nerd baseball fans to him?

Maybe make fun of himself with other nerd mediums, like reading mean comments about himself or latching onto a baseball joke from Parks & Rec?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS7aNBNzx0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipdbKiAOBEc

David Eckstein is an adorable baseball elf. :glomp:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Your Taint posted:

Isn't something like 4/5ths of the 1996/7 Cubs rotation dead? Jeremi Gonzalez, Kevin Foster, Frank Castillo, and I think one other?

Speaking of dead pitchers, yesterday was 15 years since Darryl Kile. I feel both old and grateful for the chance to get old. :(

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

sox are retiring buerhle's number today

Yeah, my girlfriend's whole family is super Bridgeport, so I'll be there lamenting that I didn't talk Mr. Geraci into buying the stadium's naming rights.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Mark's son sang the anthem.
V: Sounded like the anthem from Dark Knight Rises.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

today was the first time three rookies hit their first dinger in the same game. i guess "big game" james shields decided to make a big game out of nothing by yielding all three dingers,

Same game off the same pitcher, I thought. Back in 1914 I thought 3 rookies did it in the same game but against different pitchers.

Pre-game ceremony was pretty good (plus learning which former players and current execs White Sox fans will openly boo), game itself was absolute trash. I thought the crowd might have followed the umps to the parking lot after that bullshit call at first. How it wasn't overturned I have no idea.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Cubs will be in first in the NL Central by the time June ends BOOK IT. :colbert:

Hmm...

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Speaking of The Show 17, I couldn't hit for poo poo tonight against the Marlins (admittedly at a higher difficulty). 16 hits, 22 innings. Luis Gonzalez had 2 errors in left and David Wright got gunned down at the plate in the 11th. Finally won in the 22nd on a walk-off single.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ScottyJSno posted:

So who and how much for Arrieta at the end of the season?

Rangers, $60/4. Completely blind guess.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

LOVE YOU STRINGBEAN

No verification yet on whether reports of Arrieta being hot garbage this year are "fake news".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Carlosologist posted:

yuck, didn't the Cubs already do their White House visit?

Most of them. SOMEBODY conveniently wasn't able to meet with Obama. Because he's a jackass. Whom I hate.

• Locked thread