Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tadashi posted:

I always wonder if the J. P. Ricciardi led Blue Jays would have made the playoffs at least a few times if they weren't in the AL East. Not only did they have to deal with the Yankees and Red Sox, but he also caught the beginning of the Rays' run at the end of his tenure in Toronto.

Do you have to wonder? Can't you just look at record and then figure that the jays probably would have won even more games if they were playing a division other than the thresher that was the 2000s al east

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
using this extremely scientific methodology, the 2008 blue jays might have made the playoffs (in a division title berth) if they were in the AL central and won 4 more games, which they probably would have done.

edit: but maybe not as they beat up on the orioles a lot that year

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Justin Smoak has more RBIs than strikeouts. 37-35.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Gorman posted:

well i'll be damned

yeah it's a pretty cool stat. if he can keep this up it's more than 100 rbis and almost 40 hrs for 4 million. please dont send this man to the all star game we dont need him breaking like saunders.

in other news devin travis is adorable

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/870820384228220931

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
justin smoak has more rbis than strikeouts. 37-36.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I was in seattle a couple years ago and it's a ton of fun when the Jays are in town. I had no idea, and it was crazy to be 3000 km from home and see a sea of hometown hats by the waterfront.

Getting across the border that day was brutal, though. four hours. gently caress.

by and large though it's not just Seattle, the Jays probably have the best 'all over' fans in the league, next to probably the yankees. everywhere they go there's a lot of blue behind the visitors dugout. hell, last night against the As the 'jose jose jose jose' and 'clap clap clap clap TU-LO' chants were the loudest thing in the building

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
justin smoak has more RBIs than strikeouts. 43-39.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 8, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

I'm feeling smug as hell that the Mariners won in a stadium full of Jays fans.

Goms

You guys played a good game. But you cant say those arent fun games, the dueling chants are fantastic

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
how do I tell them at the adoption centre that i would like an aaron judge type baby, please

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

guerrero/gurriel has a lot of potential for a really fun team

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
anyone still think goins over upton was the wrong move?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
During the final week at the old Yankee Stadium, Hample gained worldwide recognition by catching home run balls on consecutive nights. On September 16, 2008, he made a leaping catch on a Jason Giambi home run and immediately celebrated with a goofy dance that was captured on TV. The following night, in nearly exactly the same spot in the right field bleachers, Hample reached far over a railing to make a backhanded catch on a Johnny Damon home run and celebrated with the same dance.[3] The Yankees' announcers recognized him from the previous game, and within the next 24 hours the story was covered by ESPN, CBS, NBC, FOX, CNN International, Japanese TV, and many other media outlets. Yahoo! Sports initially acknowledged Hample's baseball-snagging skills, but did not know that it was he who had made the catches.[4]
Less than two weeks later, on September 28, 2008, Hample caught the last home run ever hit by a Mets player at Shea Stadium, this one off the bat of Carlos Beltrán.[5]

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
joe smith on 10 day dl, please fire the entire blue jays training staff

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That guy is a God Damned Embarrassment

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Berzerker posted:

Until this afternoon :getin:

josh donaldson not playing.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

shadok posted:

He was in the lineup to DH, when did they scratch him?

Edit: oh, poo poo.

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/877939622503776256

I've got a five dollar bet going that the jays go the entire season under .500 to somewhat temper my inevitable disappointment each time they fail to hit that mark.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

who is that woman who asks two questions halfway through? what a loving terrible person

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

who is that woman who asks two questions halfway through? what a loving terrible person

It was Rosie DiManno if anyone else was curious. She's who I would have guessed anyway. Check today's column to see if she was able to turn his refutations of her blatant emotional quote mining into editorial gold! (she wasn't)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like Smoak is going to the all star. I swear to god if you Saunders him....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Your Taint posted:

Yeah that second sentence makes him kind of a hypocrite.

You could argue that but it's pretty common for a 'team/family' mentality. once you go outside the circle you're outside the circle.

• Locked thread