Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Who'd be the Homer at the Bat lineup today? Big stars who would stoop to doing guest work on a low rent animated show on an otherwise terrible new TV network?

Posey (he might not actually do it...if not him then Salvy)
Rizzo
Altuve
Crawford
Donaldson
Mookie
Harper (does the Canseco thing and demands the episode be rewritten so he's more alpha)
Bryant
Kershaw

...I feel like that lineup beats the original

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Royals from about 1995 through 2012 set a standard for terrible management that will likely never be surpassed.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

The Cubs Cubsed themselves out of a really good lineup and three aces

At least they had potential aces, don't make me post the string of royals highly drafted pitchers from that era but I will if I have to god help me

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like the Tigers guy who sent his entire farm system away for aging broken Juan Gonzalez and then offered to pay him far and away the most of any player in the league, which Juan declined, which was as funny as the trade itself.

In related news is there any other player who you thought was absolutely amazing when you were a kid but then turns out kind of sucked more than Juan Gonzalez?

edit: This is a great read

"The Tigers will move walls for Gonzalez, which is what they told
him they will do with the one in leftfield at Comerica Park,
where the power alley is 398 feet from home plate. "It's too
big," Gonzalez says. "I've already hit a lot of balls that would
be easy home runs in lots of other parks. They told me the
fences are coming in next year."

He must not be interested in a big-screen TV because another one
has yet to appear in the clubhouse. But the Tigers are perfectly
willing to make Gonzalez the highest-paid player in the game by
a margin of more than 25% over what the Dodgers are paying
righthander Kevin Brown, who is getting $15 million per year.
Detroit offered Gonzalez $151.5 million over eight years shortly
after the Nov. 2 trade with Texas, according to a source
familiar with the proposal."

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 2, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to get tentatively excited about the Royals. Also the Astros are really good.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
we're looking at a decade of futility after this season, ride the horse while it is still (barely) alive

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why haven't there been more giant power hitters? It seems like being very big and strong are good things to have as a baseball player.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

New Concept Hole posted:

Basketball hoards all the tall, athletic people.

This and football was what I was kind of assuming but I was curious if there were some mechanical thing about a baseball swing that put large men at a disadvantage.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I still don't get baseball scouting.

On the one hand you've got a really talented 18 year old. On the other hand you've got a 23 year old who tore up a tough college league. I get the 18 year old probably has a higher ceiling but I do not get why you'd prefer that wide variation of possible outcomes over a guy who is probably ML ready right now.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
More fun Jim Abbott facts!

He was a star quarterback in high school. I have no idea how this even worked.

He didn't spend a day in the minors.

His entire playing career teams tried to bunt to him. It never worked.

He had two career hits. Both were off John Lieber.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Some low rent local cable station did a "top 10 Royals hitters", which was kind of embarrassing, but it also showed 5-tool Beltran in his prime and that dude was goddamn something.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is intense speculation but everything about Schwarber's numbers suggests that pitchers are giving him more high hard stuff and he's not been effectively catching up to it. Is there data to support this theory?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

bawfuls posted:

Also this probably seals the avatar bet win for bewbies, unless Danny Duffy can inflate his FIP above 4.68 by year's end.

That sucks man, you never want to win like this. I saw Urias pitch a few times in OKC and he was super fun to watch.

Also I am embarrassed to admit that the combination of bad self effacing humor and enthusiasm for baseball has led me to enjoy Rex Hudler as a commentator.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm pitching for a team in a tournament next weekend that apparently features former pro players. I'm going to get absolutely destroyed and then I'm going to plunk whoever is up next because that's how you play the game.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why didn't Aaron Judge make it to the majors sooner? I feel like someone hitting that well at 25 could have been a meaningful contributor at 23 or 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So was Judge just kind of a late bloomer? Offhand it seems like most elite hitters nowadays were at least decent hitters at age 22-23 although that analysis is really unscientific.

• Locked thread