Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
The Cubs will be in first in the NL Central by the time June ends BOOK IT. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Good Dog posted:

Everyone's gotta have a "I remember going to that pitcher duel" story. Pitcher duels rule.

I got to see my team beat best pitcher on the planet Justin Verlander during his MVP season 1-0: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ANA/ANA201107050.shtml

During my high school's senior ditch day, a bunch of us went to Wrigley and saw Randy Johnson destroy the Cubs with a 1-hitter. It was a pitcher's duel until the 6th inning, at least. Jon Lieber and Greg Maddux starts were pretty much the only time I would keep track of pitch counts on my scorecard.

More recently, I attended game 1 of last year's NLDS. That was one hell of a pitcher's duel.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

YeahTubaMike posted:

V: I get why the guy got fired, but it still annoys me because that was awesome.

If only he'd beaten up his wife, then the Mets would've been willing to keep him on.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Julio Cruz posted:

If only he'd threatened her with a gun the Cubs would have been on the phone.

It wouldn't be very good job security for Mr. Met. The Cubs would just overwork him for 3 months and kick him to the curb after a ring. I've heard he always wanted to be the Yankees mascot anyway.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

shadok posted:

He said the usual douchebag thing, which is "I wish I could tell my side of the story, but I can't."

He's a secret agent and the beer can he threw deflected a sniper's bullet.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ChiTownEddie posted:

I clicked and was like "cool cool cool...........AVERAGE?!!"

My favorite part is how Yandy Diaz is in the top 20 for average exit velocity, but has an average launch angle of -1.0 degrees.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

euphronius posted:

They have to be the worst run major market team in the modern era.

Define "modern era" because it's hard to top the Blackhawks in the time Bill Wirtz owned the team.

e:

euphronius posted:

Yeah just MLB.

Welp never mind then :v:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Cubs will be in first in the NL Central by the time June ends BOOK IT. :colbert:

Good start. :cool:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

2 games into June and they're in 2nd place now. :cool:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
:siren: Jon Lester legitimately picked off Tommy Pham via an overhand throw to first base from the mound. :siren:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Your Taint posted:

It'll never happen, but Bryce Harper has interest in signing with the Cubs when he hits FA.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/bryce-harper-reportedly-eye-cubs-fit-budget-015708784.html

Not getting my hopes up, but that lineup.... :circlefap:

A guy can dream

Harper and Bryant both grew up in the same area and were born in the same year. Maybe he wants to play alongside his buddy.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Timby posted:

Am I reading the Cards / Cubs box score correctly? Hendricks threw 121 pitches in four innings? :stare:

Hendricks threw 82 pitches. His control this year is faltering big-time. :smith:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

Saw a stat somewhere that only one team in history has started with 41 wins in its first 57 games and won less than 102 games

christianbale-kermit.gif

The Cubs were 40-17 after 57 games last year, so the Astros this year are doing a game better. As long as they're not playing against the Cubs in the World Series, I'll be rooting for them.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

lmao it took 4 days

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

So that's what it looks like if you use gate attendance instead of paid attendance

If you're referring to the Mariner's/A's game in 1979, 653 was the paid attendance. Actual attendance was around 250.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sorry YouTube guy, there's a new Ding Quartet in town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOOMEVMAF4Q

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
You can see the ball the entire way from his bat until it hits the ground and it just had a lot of spin on it. It didn't make any jarring change of direction. Consider the home run a punishment for misplaying it so badly. :colbert:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Addison Russell's wife decided to take to instagram last night during the game to send him a little message about their marriage.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/06/07/addison-russell-wife-melisa-reidy-cheating-instagram/

Allegedly it's more than just cheating.

God drat it, Addy :mad:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

Kindly wait until the Astros actually have a championship before pulling the "You can't whine about your successful team" card :colbert:

It's fun seeing Astros fans being treated like Cubs fans were last year. :munch:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inspector_666 posted:

The difference is if the Astros lose a game or even just aren't leading in the 3rd inning, Intruder isn't posting repeatedly about how the team is poo poo and everything is poo poo and oh no woe be upon him.

A new McGiblets shall rise...

COMING OCTOBER 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

beejay posted:

Kyle Hendricks to the 10 day DL with right hand tendinitis. That's not good.

He's been our best starter this year in terms of both WHIP and bWAR. :smith:

Niwrad posted:

Kyle Schwarber for Chris Archer. Let's do this.

I'd be worried about the Trop's structural integrity from all the Schwarbombs hitting weak spots.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

V: Dear sweet baseball Jesus, keep the St. Louis racist trolls at bay.

They're too busy being preoccupied by the fact that Busch announced they're having a Pride night.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Dingleberry Jones posted:

In 9 hours I will be leaving for my first ever trip to the Hall of Fame. I'm stoked. Has anyone ever been? Any pointers? When I first started dating my girlfriend I mentioned to her that the Hall of Fame was one of my lifelong dreams, and for my birthday, she surprised me with this trip.

I might no-shame cry when I get there.

I went there for Ryne Sandberg's induction, which was complete insanity. The entire town was packed to the gills with people. I imagine on a normal week, the vibe is way more chill with a folksy small-town feel. My favorite part about going on induction weekend was the fact that you'd just be walking down the street and oh hey there's Dave Winfield, there's Yogi Berra, there's Rollie Fingers, just checking out the local shops like everyone else.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://twitter.com/dougdirt24/status/874495163086884864

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Meanwhile the former Mr. Met is seething that Puig won't get fired for it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
If I lived in St. Louis, I'd be attending the Christian Day game in my shortest jorts and rainbowest shirt, and would be calling every LGBT person I knew to join me.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I'm really glad that when I caught a foul ball a couple years ago, it was after a 2-hour rain delay and there were no kids around at the time. I'd been going to games for 25 years by that point and had never caught a non-BP ball, so gently caress giving it away. :argh:

Zack Hample has a billion foul balls though, so he is just a greedy rear end in a top hat if he doesn't give them away. :colbert:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
RA Dickey's had a fine MLB career without even having a UCL. Teach Torres to throw a knuckler and he'll be fine.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I need someone to put Randy Newman's score along with this

Here's a couple more angles of it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Rizzo's slash line this June is .400/.507/.750. Since he moved to the leadoff spot, he is 5-5 with 2 homers and a walk in his first PA of the game, with his most recent leadoff hit being a gently caress your shift bunt single. :eyepop:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Rizzo's slash line this June is .400/.507/.750. Since he moved to the leadoff spot, he is 5-5 with 2 homers, a double, and a walk in his first PA of the game, with his most recent leadoff hit being a gently caress your shift bunt single. :eyepop:

Rizzo just homered again to lead off the game :stare:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Tom Gorman posted:

that is a loving extraordinary dewlap. should be a photograph in some kind of medical reference text.

oh boy I get to post the gif I made again

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

I unironically love bunts, take that SAS.

:same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MljLIunexEI

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ShortThug posted:

Schwarber sent down.

He'll soon be back, and with greater numbers.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Rand alPaul posted:

Barry Bonds laughs at your age.

You could go 2-5 with a home run and a single every game of an entire season and your OPS would still be lower than Barry Bonds' was in 2004, the season where he turned 40.

Although my favorite Barry Bonds fact ever is there has only been one pitcher in history who faced Bonds 6 or more times and didn't let him reach base. That pitcher, Geremi Gonzalez, died by being struck by lightning.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I remember Khalil Greene's career pretty much ended because of depression. Hope Osuna can get the help he needs.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Russell to the DL, presumably as a time out to think about what he's done

Really looking forward to more Tommy "Worse Than Lester At Throwing To First" La Stella in the infield.

(We brought up Candelario so we'll probably see Rizzo/Happ/Javy/Candy as the primary IF)

So that's Russell, Heyward, Zobrist, Hendricks, and Anderson all on the DL? :psyduck:

Makes me realize how fortunate the Cubs were last year to have relatively few DL stints, with the exception of Schwarber being gone all season, but that might have actually been a blessing in disguise.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

They were in first on June 5, so I was right. :colbert:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
N: Javy Baez is good with the glove.

V: Like, really, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

cis autodrag posted:

"2/3 of the world is covered by water, the 1/3 by baez". that's pretty good.

According to Statcast, his catch in the 8th inning was the most ground covered by a shortstop on a flyout in two years.

• Locked thread