Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
How in the Hell does Logan Morrison have 15 home runs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

How many guys have won an MVP without making the all star game out of curiosity?

Checked Terry Pendleton on a hunch, and he makes the list.

Edit : There's been a few.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/mlb/the-mvp-s-that-weren-t-all-stars.aspx

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

ihatepants posted:

I noticed that there are always a ton of Blue Jays fans here when they are playing the Mariners. Does all of Canada support them because they're the only Canadian team left, do they make the trip from Toronto, or are there just a ton of transplants from Toronto?

I don't know about all of Canada, but Vancouver is roughly a 2.5 hour drive North.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Not one cares about the Astros at Safeco. Case in point: the lowest attended game in the history of that stadium was against the Astros.

Just had flashbacks to the start of the 2013 season when the attendance post opening night was really bad night after night, and being so bitter about the team that I was enjoying it. More than anything I just wanted Nintendo to sell. Not that Nintendo selling turned out to be the thing to get the M's back to the playoffs.

Had to go check, and was surprised to see that while I had the year right, the actual lowest attendance was the Astros coming back to town in September. It seems a Summer full of lovely baseball was even more of a turn off than cold damp April nights in Seattle.

Really wish there were pictures of this though.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/OAK/OAK197904170.shtml

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Oh yeah... I get to see the M's next week.... No Felix this year for sure (probably not a bad thing.) sure hope I get a Paxton start.

God drat it.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
M's reportedly extending Segura for 5 years at $70M.

And Felix did lovely in his AAA rehab start.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

The best part is that the announcers go "Kiermaier is such a great CF that there's no way he misread the ball, it has to have hit something."

Like some strange Greg Maddux treatment for an outfielder, but not helpful at all.

There's no way he misplayed that that bad, so it must be a home run now.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

If you hit C or D in fair territory, it's a home run.

If I'm seeing / understanding it right, the claim is that the ball hit the lowest (D) ring. And since the call on the field was home run, the replay guys needed a replay that showed that it didn't in order to over turn it. Which they didn't have since there was only a single drat camera angle?

Basically LOL at Tropicana Field?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Sydin posted:

:toxx: If the domestic violence allegations about Russell turn out to be true and the Cubs don't immediately get rid of him in response, I will take applications for a new team to root for.

I'm not rooting for another wife beater. I'd rather root for Ryan loving Braun.

Has any team ever immediately released a player in a situation like this? Or, if/when a player has admitted it?

The Mariners suspended Julio Mateo and then optioned him to AAA when he was charged with domestic assault, but that's the closest I can remember. He never pitched in the majors again, but he wasn't exactly released either.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Disagreed.

That turned out to be the winning run, too. Sigh.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

kensei posted:

Mariners score 14 on the road. What a roller coaster team.

If I've ever seen the M's win by 11 in person before I sure as hell don't remember it. That was great.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Nelson Cruz is going to end up being Jack Z's best contract, weirdly enough. It was pretty panned at the time, too. Oh well, broken clock and all.
Never forget
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/report-nelson-cruz-deal-with-mariners-rejected-by-ownership/

The drought should have ended in 2014.

seiferguy posted:

E: in other Mariners news, they're no longer extending the naming rights of Safeco Field after 2018. Kinda makes sense since Safeco insurance got bought out by someone else.

I know drat well it will just go to the highest bidder, but I'm holding out for Niehaus Field and there's no way that's not the best choice.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 13, 2017

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

tadashi posted:

And those crazy-rear end rumors that the Mariners essentially bid against themselves... which were said to be untrue but you have to wonder where they came from.

Rangers writer Evan Grant admitted that he said it as a joke. People ran with it.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Wrapping up my honeymoon in Curacao. Drove by this today and had my wife take a pic.

Phone posting. Hope this isn't stupid big.

Sadly pretty baseball free here right now. There's a largish field in Willemstad that has been lit up at night a few times but when I stopped a guard at the gate told me the season wasn't going now. It was just a practice going on. Said it was OK to go in and watch but I didn't. I've been married a month. Taking my wife to a baseball practice on our honeymoon seemed unwise if I'd like to last longer.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 24, 2017

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I was looking into back to back RoY performances from the same team, didn't think it happened much, but I was wrong.

1992: Eric Karros LAD
1993: Mike Piazza LAD
1994: Raul Mondesi LAD
1995: Hideo Nomo LAD
1996: Todd Hollandsworth LAD

:stare:

Athletics and Dodgers also hit three in a row. Several teams have hit back to back RoY's.

Sasaki and Suzuki were back to back for the Mariners. Totally forgot about Sasaki, he owned.

The other Dodgers streak was actually 4 in a row. 79-82 with Sutcliffe, Howe, Valenzuela and Sax.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

GPTribefan posted:

Frank Howard - above average hitter

When I was 14-15 years old, Frank Howard was a coach with the M's. Pre Randy Johnson days - I was pretty sure he was the biggest man I'd ever see in a uniform.

Also - looking at his stats, drat the near dead ball 60s. The counting stats don't look that great, but I'd take that 142 OPS+ all day. Not a hall of famer or anything, but overall better than I ever would have guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Jeff Nelson complained about the M's not making a move at the 2003 trade deadline and promptly got traded to New York.

Not DFAd, but pretty clearly related despite the teams claim.

• Locked thread