Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If only he'd beaten up his wife, then the Mets would've been willing to keep him on.

If only he'd threatened her with a gun the Cubs would have been on the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

You'd have to get Heyward off the books for this to realistically happen, both because he's position blocking Harper and because his contract is huge and even if Harper really does want to go to the Cubs, he's a Boras client and would still require a $400-500m contract. Hell, you might even have to dump Lester, too. Even if you did that, you'd have 2-3 years of of the current core + Harper, and then everybody hits FA and the Cubs would only have the budget to sign Bryant + maybe one other guy of the Hendricks/Javy/Russell/Schwarber/Contreras youth core. There'd also be no money for free agent pitching, which means both the rotation and the pen would have to be anchored by prospects, and that's after the Cubs invariably have send some guys away in order to salary dump Lester/Heyward.

Don't get me wrong, Harper and Bryant on the Cubs is a stupidly fantastic dream, but with the new CBA's luxury tax shenanigans, I just don't think it's financially feasible.

No-one's going to take on that Heyward contract unless the Cubs pick up at least 75% of the money remaining. It's possible they could look to trade Schwarber instead but they'd need a massive bounce-back season from him in order to get more than a PTBNL in return.

Financially it's possible but Harper is going to want at least 35MM so they'd need to have a lot of payroll space going into 2019. That means not spending top dollar on FAs in 2018 or, at the very least, giving them 1-year opt-outs.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 4, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Feels like the money would be better spent on a starter.

Yeah, I think they'd be much better served throwing money at Darvish or MadBum rather than Harper.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

Good thing Ichiro can speak fluent English or else he would have sucked in MLB.

Also it's a good thing the Hispanic players don't require any American team leaders talking to them.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Not one cares about the Astros at Safeco. Case in point: the lowest attended game in the history of that stadium was against the Astros.

e: I'm dumb

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Scooter Gennett just hit four home runs in a game lmao

what in the actual gently caress

he's the first Red to do it too :laffo:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Given the lack of "sure things" a la Harper in this draft I'm surprised Greene isn't going #1, he seems insanely talented and marketable.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

It should really be an error according to the rulebook (if... a fly ball falls untouched and, in the scorer’s judgment, the fielder could have handled the ball with ordinary effort, the official scorer shall charge such fielder with an error) but there's no real way of telling who to assign the error to, and you can't give all 4 infielders an error, so it gets ruled a hit.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's listed at 50 lbs heavier than Schwarber :v:

But I'll accept Large Adult Son

Being 7 inches taller than someone will do that.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Also muscle is denser than fat

Also I'd be loving shocked if Schwarber actually is only 235.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Haven't seen the latest NL update yet so here you go:

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/874308552453750785

over 1 million votes for Javy "replacement level" Baez :lol:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

iospace posted:

I'm the utter lack of brewers :smith:

Only one Met on the shortlist and it's not the guy who's 7th in the league in WAR.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/874692234544852992

This man needs to be traded for cash considerations at some point in the future.

If he doesn't make it in baseball he's got a career waiting for him as an ambulance chaser.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Yankees drafted a pitcher named Janson Junk.

6 pitches, all under 90 mph?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Missing "you're Latinthat sort of player".

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Can someone who is smarter at Baseball explain to me what is going on with Kyle Schwarber? His K% and BB% are all in line with his 2015 numbers, except his BABIP is 100 points lower. His iso is also considerably lower, but if he can't hit the ball into play, that would explain that a bit too. Is he just being shiftted to death or what?

My guess is he's tried to adjust his swing to try and go the other way to beat the shift but in doing so he's making a lot more bad contact than he used to, resulting in more popups and harmless fly balls to left-center (nb I haven't watched him that much this season so this is mainly from Fangraphs numbers).

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

He was stupidly good in the Cubs two previous post seasons though, and since he was knocked out of the 2016 regular season more or less immediately his post season results stick out the most.

He has 50 career postseason ABs. His postseason numbers are literally meaningless.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bewbies posted:

This is intense speculation but everything about Schwarber's numbers suggests that pitchers are giving him more high hard stuff and he's not been effectively catching up to it. Is there data to support this theory?

His pitch types seen are almost exactly the same as in 2015 so he's not seeing many more fastballs, though they might be a lot higher in the zone than they were before. His pitch values are down across the board, with the exception of curveballs, which does suggest that any adjustment he's made is helping him hit lower, breaking pitches but possibly hurting his ability to hit high fastballs.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

No-one will want Granderson or Cabrera but Bruce and Reed should draw some interest. I wonder if Walker is on the block too or if they reckon they can get an extension done before the end of the season.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Mets should be looking for a starter and a CF in the offseason and hoping to contend next year, there's absolutely no way deGrom should be going anywhere.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

I thought we as a people had come to an agreement that fielding percentage is bullshit

(.879 as an outfielder holy gently caress)

It's more that good fielding percentage doesn't necessarily mean a good fielder, but bad fielding percentage usually does mean a bad fielder.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

Well also that fielders with great range suffer from worse fielding percentages at times because their errors would be hits for fielders with lesser range

Depends on the scorer, but errors are usually only called on routine fly balls, rather than diving or full sprint catches. A fielder with great range will get to more balls but he's not likely to commit errors at a higher rate.

e: I can't find Tebow's errors categorized anywhere but having seen him play QB I imagine they're along the lines of "tried to throw out a runner at home but airmailed the ball into the stands"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

Yeah that's true for outfielders. I just meant in general since I distinctly remember Adam Everett getting dinged for errors on balls that no one else in the league except maybe Vizquel could have gotten to. In the outfield you have to really gently caress up to get an error

It's definitely a thing for SS, because the hard-to-get-to balls mean they often have to throw either from the hole or from on their knees, and scorers don't seem to take that extra degree of difficulty into consideration if the throw is bad.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Fiers' FIP is almost exactly twice Archer's :lol:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I believe the login limit is 4 but don't share it with anyone who's gonna use a VPN to get around blackout restrictions, they've been very ban-happy over that recently.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

He's been beaten a few times already though and even lost on opening day. I wanna know who the random dudes are that they're pulling out of the stands that are beating him.

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/MLB/2017/06/25/Atlanta-Braves-The-Freeze-loses-another-race-to-fan/5611498398426/

The second clip the guy smokes him

They get a ~200-foot head start, even an Olympic athlete would struggle to pull that back occasionally.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

"players who criticize other players are selfish, now let me tell you how our catcher sucks rear end"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What is up with Flowers being really good all of the sudden? Is it a fluke or did he just bloom late?

His BABIP is .403 so he's probably due to regress, though he is hitting liners at a career-high 25.4%.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

So would Maybin get an RBI for that ridiculousness?

The run scored either on the throwing error or the passed ball so there's no RBI in either case.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Godspeed Bartolo

Wait I thought I was following the Braves prospects as closely as the next guy but who is Rex Brothers

He's not a prospect, he spent 5 years as a reliever with the Rockies.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Timby posted:

So how the hell does that get scored? K + PB + E2?

Maybin reached on the error (K, E2). The PB allowed Revere to take third and the error allowed him to score. I think.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Pitchers are throwing harder and also people are trying to hit home runs.

That's his case.

People who are trying to hit home runs having been noticeably absent from baseball for the past 80 years.

(yes I know he's talking about guys like Mark Reynolds who'll strike out 200 times in a season but even guys like that have been around for 20 years with McGwire and Sosa and Canseco and Giambi)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

I'd like to give Beltran back to the Mets

We're good on corner outfielders, thanks.

• Locked thread