Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017

CommissarMega posted:

Speaking of which, will there be racial customization? Maybe customize a starting hero? I love little touches like that which can help personalize a race, and ensure that I'm not playing the same ol' Alkari and Mrrshan all the time. Endless Space 2 does very well with this, especially since it allows one to customize the racial bonus and the look (which also comes with unique ship designs) of a race- it's really great if I like the aesthetic of a race but want to play around with the traits of another.

There's no racial customization planned, although the files will be editable such that you can easily create your own race. There was no customization in MOO1 and, frankly, racial customization options seem to have the unexpected effect of narrowing choices as players soon min/max the abilities and generate 2-3 optimum combinations that are played in place of the 10 designed races. It's also more of a necessary for multiplayer, so less need for it in a single-player game.

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey Ray the Klackons were always my favorite in MOO so if you have any Klackon art completed please post some tia.

I have bad news for you! The Klackons are scheduled to be the last race and artwork done, after the Mrrshan, Humans, ship combat and random events. That means late next year. Sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Wow, MoO2 was my first exposure to 4x games, droppin' a post to keep this thread in my periphery. Thank you very much, I really look forward to playing this!

I'm impressed that you developed it with Skinny hardware in mind, and wish more developers did that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RayFowler posted:

The Klackons are scheduled to be the last race and artwork done, after the Mrrshan, Humans, ship combat and random events.

What the heck!!!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

RayFowler posted:

There's no racial customization planned, although the files will be editable such that you can easily create your own race. There was no customization in MOO1 and, frankly, racial customization options seem to have the unexpected effect of narrowing choices as players soon min/max the abilities and generate 2-3 optimum combinations that are played in place of the 10 designed races. It's also more of a necessary for multiplayer, so less need for it in a single-player game.

I have bad news for you! The Klackons are scheduled to be the last race and artwork done, after the Mrrshan, Humans, ship combat and random events. That means late next year. Sorry!

I think you can avoid that problem by merely instituting a 'no custom races allowed' button. I always liked customizing a race

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RayFowler posted:

There's no racial customization planned, although the files will be editable such that you can easily create your own race. There was no customization in MOO1 and, frankly, racial customization options seem to have the unexpected effect of narrowing choices as players soon min/max the abilities and generate 2-3 optimum combinations that are played in place of the 10 designed races.

Fair enough, just wondering, though when you say 'create your own race', do you mean just stats, or can we assign them new racial pictures and such, because that'd be even better. And while we're on the subject, when can we see Human portraits and the like? I'm space-racist, you see, and while all this talk of xenos is just fine and dandy for those race traitors who'd just love to have the alien jackhoof on their necks, I for one am a True Patriot™ :v:

But seriously, all the work you've done so far for the other races looks real cool, and I'd like to see how you guys handle humanity. I mean, sure make us the diplomatic race, that's cool, but I'd like to see a different twist on things- like say our talents at diplomacy aren't so much because we're intergalactic nice guys, but because we're such wheelers, dealers and schemers that most alien races just go along with the snake oil salesmen we call 'diplomats'.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

RayFowler posted:

Fair enough, I admire your dedication to 1:1 feature implementation with the original. I am a little surprised it wasn't in the original, but maybe that's part of why I ended up playing MoO2 forever and never really looked back to 1

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017

Waffle House posted:

I'm impressed that you developed it with Skinny hardware in mind, and wish more developers did that.

That wasn't really the original intent. The idea was to make the entire game in Java so that a large population of developers could support it when it is open-sourced. However, I took a little flak for making a game in Java because "Java is terrible for gaming" and I should have used C# and Unity.

Anyone who is a developer knows that 95% of performance coding comes from between two ears so I kind of decided to make the Raspberry Pi Zero the target platform for the game as a "f--- you" to those Unity snobs who can't seem to make even a simple side-scroller that doesn't require at least 4GB of RAM and a fancy video card.

512Mb of RAM, No video card required. Runs on a Pi Zero. Runs faster on a faster PC and can generate galaxies with over a million stars (I hit over 3 million when I allocated 16G to the game).

Chomp8645 posted:

What the heck!!!

Sorry! The Klackons are going to be presented as a true hive-mind race, which means there will be a different artistic interpretation than what we have seen previously. Consider this youtube clip as the inspiration for what we will be doing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKBTDKNoMqI&t=20s

Sloober posted:

I think you can avoid that problem by merely instituting a 'no custom races allowed' button. I always liked customizing a race

The game will be completely moddable. You will be able to make as many custom races as you want.

CommissarMega posted:

Fair enough, just wondering, though when you say 'create your own race', do you mean just stats, or can we assign them new racial pictures and such, because that'd be even better. And while we're on the subject, when can we see Human portraits and the like? I'm space-racist, you see, and while all this talk of xenos is just fine and dandy for those race traitors who'd just love to have the alien jackhoof on their necks, I for one am a True Patriot™ :v:

You'll be able to create your own race, complete with images, animations and race-specific text.

The human images have not been done, not until Alpha 6, but I have received permission from planetary scientist Sara Seager to use her image as the model for the human scientist.

CommissarMega posted:

But seriously, all the work you've done so far for the other races looks real cool, and I'd like to see how you guys handle humanity. I mean, sure make us the diplomatic race, that's cool, but I'd like to see a different twist on things- like say our talents at diplomacy aren't so much because we're intergalactic nice guys, but because we're such wheelers, dealers and schemers that most alien races just go along with the snake oil salesmen we call 'diplomats'.

Humans will of course have the diplomatic bonus from the original game, but the ROTP future for humanity is not going to be the overdone, egalitarian version from Star Trek. I think my writer would rebel if I made him do that.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

That might not be a bad way to represent them - Humans do get bonus output from trade treaties in MOO1.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Such a cool project, and it's gotta be great working with a dedicated team. Going to sneak in a session at work today — I've never played the first MOO.

As a graphic and sometimes UI designer, it's painful to see larger teams struggle with very basic concepts, typography being chief among them. I had to crack into Sins of a Solar Empire to swap out fonts to make it playable, and every budding designer should look at Distant Worlds for how not to apply type. And this isn't a snob thing, either — type choice is largely personal, but legibility is a universal concern. Amplitude's Endless stuff isn't flawless but so much care and thought was put into the UX it's hard not to love it. There's already a hierarchy of weights on the Remnants tech tree, so you're on the right track. :)

e: VVV oh of course. I hope this didn't come off as a slight against anyone!

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 13, 2017

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017

spider wisdom posted:

Such a cool project, and it's gotta be great working with a dedicated team. Going to sneak in a session at work today — I've never played the first MOO.

As a graphic and sometimes UI designer, it's painful to see larger teams struggle with very basic concepts, typography being chief among them. I had to crack into Sins of a Solar Empire to swap out fonts to make it playable, and every budding designer should look at Distant Worlds for how not to apply type. And this isn't a snob thing, either — type choice is largely personal, but legibility is a universal concern. Amplitude's Endless stuff isn't flawless but so much care and thought was put into the UX it's hard not to love it. There's already a hierarchy of weights on the Remnants tech tree, so you're on the right track. :)

Keep in mind that the UIs in the published Alpha (3.20) are currently a mix of old (designed my me) and new (designed by graphic designer). You should be able to tell the difference. However as you can tell from the blog there is a lot of work going into redesigning the remaining "old" screens more should be available in the Alpha 4.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

RayFowler posted:

That wasn't really the original intent. The idea was to make the entire game in Java so that a large population of developers could support it when it is open-sourced. However, I took a little flak for making a game in Java because "Java is terrible for gaming" and I should have used C# and Unity.

Anyone who is a developer knows that 95% of performance coding comes from between two ears so I kind of decided to make the Raspberry Pi Zero the target platform for the game as a "f--- you" to those Unity snobs who can't seem to make even a simple side-scroller that doesn't require at least 4GB of RAM and a fancy video card.

512Mb of RAM, No video card required. Runs on a Pi Zero. Runs faster on a faster PC and can generate galaxies with over a million stars (I hit over 3 million when I allocated 16G to the game).

loving lmao you are my development hero

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017
hey guys, if you like more design-related articles, I just posted this one:

https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/06/14/the-fourth-x-belongs-to-the-player/

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
RayFowler, really great to see a project like this have such a professional drive to it! You hear about so many things like this online and then they often fall apart, downloading the latest alpha I was surprised so see how much real progress has already been successfully made here. Even though I never had the opportunity to play the original MOO this is still exciting.

Appreciate you having a good attitude and being professional in your responses to people both here and elsewhere. It's good this has a clear vision an you've done a good job of conveying the design principles you're following in articles like the ones you linked to. It's great to hear you are allowing things that would bring more modernization to the game to be done through modding while still moving forward original vision. I hope you're able to do that with as many of the mechanics as possible since that kind of thing is very beneficial for a long life after release. Likewise, it's very respectable of you to make the game open-source after release.

One thing you might want to consider is something like a "How can I get involved" page on your site. You posted on your subreddit that there's no repository for bugs and you posted here about looking for more translators. Just having all of that kind of information in a centralized location might be good for any people finding out about this at any given time.

As a side note, Peter is doing a drat good job with the artwork! The stylized look and lighting for the portraits in game turned out really well, particularly in things like the race selection for the Bulrathi and Sakkra. The Mrrshan scenes you've shown have been very high-quality and impressive as well. It's neat to see the writing additions like the backstories for each faction, that's a good example of adding something new and interesting without compromising the vision of remaking MOO1.

Looking forward to playing my first game in the current Alpha! Thanks for starting this thread here, and best of luck to you and your team working on this!

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017
CatsPajamas,
thanks for the kind words! I try to be professional to everyone but I don't think that I always succeed :P

With regards to "how can I get involved", I generally discourage volunteer work. One of the rules of this project is that everyone involved gets paid for their efforts, which means I generally seek out other professionals where there is a rough edge that needs to be smoothed, and I'm not the guy to do it.

The feature set for the initial "1.0" release is set in stone since it is intended to be a modernization of the original MOO. However, the feature set for "2.0" is still up for debate. I have a lot of things I want to add and that's probably the best way for gamers who want to assist to be heard. You can read more about the general plans for 2.0 here: https://www.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/6hfpgv/rotp_20_current_plan_list/

Each week, I'm going to pick one of those topics, expound on what my goals and plans are for it, and then open it up for inspection and debate on the subreddit.

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017
Alpha 4 is available for download and play! Feel free to check it out at https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/09/01/alpha-4-is-available/

The Mrrshan are now in the game and there are many UI improvements..

RayFowler fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 5, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
May I ask what races are in the game at present?

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017

CommissarMega posted:

May I ask what races are in the game at present?

All but the Humans & Klackon

Remaining alpha schedule:

Alpha 5: tactical ship combat, technology images, & council/design/map UIs
Alpha 6: humans, random events, remaining diplomacy, & race/sabotage UIs
Alpha 7: klackons, game completion & game over/hall of fame UIs

Beta: polish, complete translations, boxed set

Release: code open-sourced

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017
due to bandwidth issues, the game project page (for downloads) has been moved to itch.io at: https://rayfowler.itch.io/remnants-of-the-precursors

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017
Here's an animation of a Sakkra ground soldier getting blowed up:
https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/09/26/death-animations/

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

RayFowler posted:

Here's an animation of a Sakkra ground soldier getting blowed up:
https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/09/26/death-animations/

The one I'm waiting for is Darloks going splat. :colbert:

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017

my dad posted:

The one I'm waiting for is Darloks going splat. :colbert:

Darloks are wraiths. They may very well be incapable of going splat.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

RayFowler posted:

Darloks are wraiths. They may very well be incapable of going splat.

This is why fancy space technology exists, damnit. Someone will find a way. :v:

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017

my dad posted:

This is why fancy space technology exists, damnit. Someone will find a way. :v:

A weapon that incarnates the Darloks for the express purpose of making them go splat? That's pretty diabolical!

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017
Speaking of the Darloks, here's an early look at their ships: https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/10/05/first-look-darlok-ships/

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.
Thats pretty cool

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

RayFowler posted:

Speaking of the Darloks, here's an early look at their ships: https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/10/05/first-look-darlok-ships/

Looks nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017
I've made a video on the steps involved in creating a foreign-language translation of the game. Anyone interested in doing something like this, let me know:
https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/10/13/alpha-4-21-is-here-with-a-call-for-translators/

• Locked thread