Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This week's Staff Pick is brought to you by discount cathouse:

discount cathouse posted:

do Die bitteren Tränen der Petra von Kant

(1972)

Here's a polish poster

Directed by: Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Written by: Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Produced by: Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Based on a Play by: Rainer Werner Fassbinder (phew)
Starring: Margit Carstensen as Petra von Kant

Summary: An arrogant fashion designer falls in love with an icy beauty who wants to be a model.

Fassbinder had a densely packed, brief career (41 features in 13 years! wow!). His films are dedicated to alienation, formally, narratively and structurally. He started from melodramatic roots and pushed the genre to its nihilistic limit. They can be pretty rough to watch to be quite honest. I haven't seen this film in particular but I have seen a few of his movies (my favorite is In a Year of 13 Moons)

this one is available on Filmstruck and probably like amazon and such too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the Staff Picks Archives
January 31st, 2017: Cure
February 7th, 2017: Westfront 1918
February 14th, 2017: John Wick
February 21st, 2017: Red Sorghum
February 28th, 2017: God of Gamblers
March 7th, 2017: The Autopsy of Jane Doe
March 14th, 2017: Perfect Blue
March 21st, 2017: Spring Breakers
March 28th, 2017: Cemetery of Splendor
April 20th, 2017: Parallax View
April 27th, 2017: Right Now, Wrong Then
May 02th 2017: Stalker
May 12th 2017: White God
May 19th, 2017: Red Beard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
i wished for this movie because its about horny lesbians, hope its good.

It's also interesting to note that in the 1970 feminist discourse saw lesbian sadomasochism or any kind of roles in lesbian relationships as imitating partiarchial behaviour, they had some weird utopic ideas. many of the reviews see this movie as a portrayal of lesbians that are doomed to repeat heteropatriarchal behaviour, even though there are no men in the movie. It'll be interesting to see if this reading still makes sense in the context of todays sex positice 3rd wave thing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll be watching this today and reporting back

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training posted:

I'll be watching this today and reporting back

I'm watching this now, sorry. I'm halfway through but it's kind of boring to me. I like how Marlene's constant presence is accentuated visually and aurally even though she remains completely distant and alien to Petra at all times, and even though her desire for her is so blatant; it's a nice metaphor for spectatorship. But this is really really clearly a filmed play and it has so much dialogue and it's people just monologuing at each other about trauma...not my cup of tea really. Beautiful room and outfits though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have been traveling since the 6th but im coming home tomorrow and will put together a double feature I think to celebrate the start of summer AKA movie season

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In Training posted:

Here's a polish poster

Polish movie posters FTW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824154