Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
I like our new goth friend. Let's do what he wants and Look through the telescope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

See the stars

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Hm, how do you feel about this, Something Awful smiles page?

:dawkins101: :science:

Hm, guess it's telescope time

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Read the Necronomicon Ex Mortis

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Maybe the answer is in the staaaaaaars. Check the telescope.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Scope out the surroundings

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Playing by 7th Guest rules, I think we go... diary first? Because the telescope game is annoying.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Huh, that's an interesting cover, with what looks like a fairly cool-looking plant monster of some sort. I hope it plays a part in one of the routes, but knowing this series I'm afraid this interesting plant will only appear in a minor role in one of the bad endings.

Omnicrom posted:

Read the Necronomicon Ex Mortis

A compelling argument. I say go with the diary.

PumpkinBat fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 17, 2020

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

We're looking for buried treasure, so of course we need a telescope!

quote:

You take the telescope from Zeke. The brass cylinder is heavy and cold in your hands. Etched along the side are some words. You read them aloud: “’To see what isn’t there.’”

“What is that supposed to mean?” You laugh.

Zeke laughs too. He takes the scope back and lifts it to his eye.

Then he stops laughing. He looks as if he’s about to drop the scope.

“What?” you demand. “What is it?”

Without a word, Zeke hands you the scope.

You look through it.

On the far wall, outlined in blue light, is a door. But when you take the eyepiece away, the door disappears!

“I can see a door!” you cry as you look through it again. “I bet the treasure is behind it!”

You and Zeke rush to the door. Using the telescope, you spot a hidden latch. You pull it, and the door swings back with a creak. Beyond is a tunnel into blackness.

“Let’s go!” Zeke cries. He dashes toward the tunnel.

“Wait!” you shout. But Zeke has already run inside.

You can’t let your friend explore the tunnel alone. You jam the telescope into your shirt and run after him.

quote:

“Wait up, Zeke!” you shout as you grope your way along the dark tunnel. Suddenly you step into thin air! You’re falling through space!

“Help!” you manage to squeak. A second later you splash into ice-cold water. A strong current sucks you under! You fight for your life in the cold, wet darkness.

Finally you struggle to the surface and burst free, gasping for air.

“Zeke!” you croak.

“Over here,” comes his faint reply.

The two of you rush along on a fast-flowing underground river. As your eyes get used to the dark, you can see dim outlines. There’s Zeke, bobbing in the frigid water just ahead of you.

“I don’t know how long I can last!” you shout. You’ve swallowed a lot of water, and your arms are growing tired.

“Grab that log!” Zeke shouts back.

A long, flat shape is floating by a few feet away. You might be able to reach it. Then you see something up ahead, a vine or a branch hanging down from above.

You have only seconds to choose. Quick! Grab one!

Reach for the branch on PAGE 93.

Lunge for the log on PAGE 19.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
:siren:Telescope:siren:

Goal Endings: 0/3

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

One one hand, the vine could be turn out to be a snake, but on the other, the log could turn out to be an alligator.

...Grab the log. At least an alligator would be sturdy.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Vine

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Grab the vine. Alligators are not to be effed with.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
Vine.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Grab the barnacle from half-life 2 nah I'm sure it's just a vine

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is definitely pre-TikTok days.

Vine

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

PumpkinBat posted:

Huh, that's an interesting cover, with what looks like a fairly cool-looking plant monster of some sort. I hope it plays a part in one of the routes, but knowing this series I'm afraid this interesting plant will only appear in a minor role in one of the bad endings.

Reach. For. The. Vine.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Vine by me!

quote:

The log is floating by too fast, you think. Gathering your strength, you leap from the water as the river pulls you toward the hanging branch. Your hand closes on it.

“Got it!” you shout. Now you can see that the branch is actually a thin tree root poking down through the dirt from above. For a moment you hang there. You search in the gloom for a sign of Zeke.

“Whoa!” Dirt around the branch crumbles and falls.

Now bigger chunks of dirt and rocks rain down on your head. With a shock you realize that your weight is pulling the entire tree right through the dirt!

Desperately, you try to fling yourself clear as the tree crashes through.

Too late! The tree falls and you plunge into the icy current. You struggle to keep your head above the raging water – but it’s no use. You grab the small tree, but it won’t hold you up. As you sink, you wrap your arms around its damp bark.

“I’m finished – because of a tree!” you moan. “And to think of all the trees I saved in the school recycling drive. If I ever get out of here, I’m never going to hug a tree again!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Telescope

Bad Endings
:siren:Drowned in an underground river after pulling a tree down on our heads.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Read the diary.
  • Reach for the log.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Log off

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

Rebonack7 posted:

Vine by me!

:mad:

Oh well. Reach for log

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Let's try the log this time.

quote:

You stretch out and swim for the log, straining against the current. For a second, you think it’s going to sweep right past. But with a final hard kick, you lunge forward. And grasp a small branch jutting from its side.

Zeke grabs hold of the other side. You haul each other up and lie there panting against the wet bark. The log rushes forward in the flood.

As you regain your strength you notice that the light is growing. The log speeds on. Up ahead is the blazing light of day. With a final rush, the water spills out into the open.

You and Zeke find yourselves floating peacefully under a bright blue sky.

You look around. The lake is surrounded by a bright green wall of thick jungle. Trees, bushes, and vines crowd the shore. Insects buzz. You hear the cry of a strange bird.

The two of you paddle the log toward dry ground. You both wade ashore and collapse on the muddy shore.

“Wow, I’ve never been in this part of Stinkeye Swamp,” Zeke says, peering around.

“Stinkeye Swamp?” you repeat. “You mean the swamp that’s supposed to be haunted?”

quote:

“Stinkeye Swamp isn’t haunted,” Zeke scoffs. “Those are just dumb stories.”

“Haunted or not, how are we supposed to get out of here?” you wonder out loud. “It looks like no human being has ever set foot here.”

Just as the words leave your mouth, you see a man hopping along the shore of the lake. He’s a few hundred yards away. And he’s like no one you’ve ever seen. He has a white beard practically down to his waist, clothes that are little more than rags, and a hat made out of tree branches.

“Someone’s coming!” you tell Zeke.

“I see someone coming from over there!” Zeke says.

You peer in the opposite direction and see another man! This one wears the green uniform of a park ranger. He’s much farther away than the man in rags. You and Zeke yell, but neither man seems to notice.

“They’re too far away,” Zeke says. “We have to run to one of them. But which one?”

Talk to the man in rags on PAGE 37.

Check in with the park ranger on PAGE 113.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Telescope

Bad Endings
Drowned in an underground river after pulling a tree down on our heads.

Achievements
None yet.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Park ranger

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Let's trust the park ranger!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The park ranger will definitely give us good tips to the local sights.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

APRAB. Talk to the man in rags.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

quote:

“Wow, I’ve never been in this part of Stinkeye Swamp,” Zeke says, peering around.

“Stinkeye Swamp?” you repeat. “You mean the swamp that’s supposed to be haunted?”

I think nearly drowning affected the main character's memory. :ohdear: Maybe the park ranger can help.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
I guess a park ranger might help us.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Trusting an adult in a GYGB book rarely ends well - but if we have to, might as well go with the one who looks somewhat respectable.

quote:

“I bet you anything that park ranger can get us out of here,” you decide. “Let’s hurry, before he gets out of sight!”

The two of you rush in the ranger’s direction, shouting at the top of your lungs.

The ranger turns and peers at you. He seems very surprised.

“What are you two doing here?” he asks as you and Zeke dash up.

He’s tall and broad, with kindly eyes under the brim of his ranger’s hat. He introduces himself as Paul Billings.

“Boy, are we glad we found you,” you exclaim. You tell him your story, from the time you found the telescope until the moment you saw him. His eyes seem to light up when you mention the telescope. But then a worried look crosses his face.

“I can lead you two home,” he tells you. “But I’m gathering soil samples for an environmental test. It’s very important that I get them on time. You’re going to have to tag along with me for a day until I’m finished.”

“That sounds fine to me,” Zeke responds. “As long as you know your way out of here.”

quote:

You and Zeke gobble up a couple of candy bars that Ranger Billings pulls out of his pack. Then he leads you onto one of the narrow paths crisscrossing the swamp.

The path twists and turns and almost disappears a couple of times. But the ranger seems sure of the way.

“This path leads out of the swamp,” he explains. “But it’s easy to get lost, so stick by me. After I get the soil samples tomorrow, I’ll bring you straight home.”

The day drags on as you slog behind the ranger through the endless swamp. From time to time he stops to let you rest. On one of those stops you notice him writing in a small black notebook. You walk to where he is sitting and glance over his shoulder.

Ranger Billings sees you and snaps the book shut. But before he does, you see one word: Annabelle!

Billings said he was here to collect soil samples! Why is he writing about Annabelle?

“Annabelle?” you blurt out. “Like the legend of Annabelle?”

Billings’s eyes blaze with anger.

“Who told you to poke around?” he shouts angrily.

quote:

You stare at Billings in shock.

He laughs. “Just kidding! You don’t really believe that legend, do you?” he asks. “I’m just writing about my girlfriend – Annabelle.”

He stands up and lifts his pack. “Come on, let’s go!” he calls out cheerfully.

You and Zeke follow him. As you walk, your mind races. Was Billings really just kidding around? He seemed so angry! And what a strange coincidence that his girlfriend’s name is Annabelle.

Finally, Billings leads you into a wide, dry clearing. You and Zeke collapse on the ground while the ranger makes a fire. He whips together a hot stew from some packaged food.

By the time you finish eating, it’s dark. Billings gives you each a blanket and then lies down by the fire. In minutes, he and Zeke are snoring.

You know you should go to sleep too. But you’re wide awake. By the flickering light of the fire you see that Billings has left his pack open. Right on top is the black notebook. You also see a rolled-up map in a plastic case.

As quietly as you can, you crawl to the pack.

Read the notebook on PAGE 126.

Check out the map on PAGE 87.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Telescope

Bad Endings
Drowned in an underground river after pulling a tree down on our heads.

Achievements
None yet.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Open the notebook

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

chitoryu12 posted:

Open the notebook

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Notebook

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map...

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

How 'bout we get our bearings first?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Read the Notebook.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Read his diary!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I hope the virus didn't get Rebonack :ohdear:.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

No worries, I’m fine, just been having trouble updating on my end. Long story short, my employers have been changing my hours around a lot without giving me any real say in the matter, my dad’s using the desktop computer with all my files on it to work from home most of the day, and someone broke the microphone I use to dictate my updates. Hopefully I’ll be able to get back to a semi-regular update schedule once things get back to normal, but for now, I really don’t have any choice but to put things on hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Everything still OK?