Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

These books were not written for anyone over the age of about ten.

Man, my younger brother had a ton of Goosebumps books when we were kids. I even remember reading one or two of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Saved by childhood obesity posted:

You're pretty sure that the space lady guessed wrong! Now all you have to do is step on the scale to prove it.

The two goons shove you inside the planet simulation chamber. It's a long narrow tube, and it's really stuffy inside. You can barely breathe.

You step up on the scale. You check the read-out. Boy, oh, boy! The space lady is wrong!

You jump up and down. "I won! I won!"

Back outside you collect your prize. It's a huge chocolate bar. You take a big bite out of it and stuff the rest in your pocket.

You gaze around. The coast is clear. Maybe you can find Patty and Brad and get out of here.

You walk a few steps forward. But a heavy hand clamps down on your shoulder from behind.

It's Big Al.

"It's time to play another game," he says, grinning.

If you have not tried the Wheel of Chance, go to PAGE 8.

If you've already played the Wheel of Chance, go to PAGE 17.

One more game posted:

You take a few steps along the midway hoping you've won enough prizes and points. You notice the crowd of people surrounding Big Al. They're still chanting, "PLAY OR PAY. PLAY OR PAY."

You break through the crowd and grab Big Al's arm. "Hey! Do you know where my friends are?"

"Certainly," Big Al says, pointing up ahead. "They're right over there!"

"Patty! Brad!" you shout as you rush up to them. "Come on! We've got to go! This carnival is evil!"

But before they can say a word, Big Al's voice booms from behind you. "Not before The Final Challenge!

It's The Final Challenge (doo-doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo-doo) posted:

Big Al shoves you and your friends into a huge red tent. It seems to be set up for some kind of show. Red carpeted steps lead up to a platform, which sits under a golden arch. The arch twinkles with a thousand colored lights that spell out: [[FINAL CHALLENGE|Sudden Death]].

Trumpets blast as people flood into the viewing area. As they march in, they clap their hands and yell, "FI-NAL. FI-NAL."

Big Al leads you up the carpeted steps. You are standing on the platform now - in front of a shimmering curtain that hangs down from the arch.

The crowd begins to chant, "SUD-DEN DEATH. SUD-DEN DEATH."

"What do you think that means?" Patty asks.

loving magnets posted:

"The Final Challenge," Big Al announces. And the crowd goes wild.

Then he turns to you and says, "Remember - the fun games are over. Now you are playing for your life."

"You go first," Big Al says to you. You see Brad and Patty taken off to the side by a huge man in a black hood.

Two red-haired dwarves in clown costumes scurry up the steps. To your surprise, they fit you with new high-top sneakers - sneakers with metal studs running up the heels. This is going to be some kind of race, you think. But then you change your mind - when they snap a heavy, metal helmet on your head.

The crowd's cheers grow louder. Big Al throws a switch. The curtain behind you parts and - Whammo! The wall behind the curtain turns into a super magnet. You go zinging to the wall like a dart to a bull's-eye.

Another goddamned wheel posted:

Seconds later your head and the back of your feet slam into the wall. You're hanging upside-down - in the middle of a gigantic magnetic wheel!

"Are you ready for The Final Challenge?" Big Al asks.

"Of course not!" you say. "LET ME DOWN!"

"We'll let you down - but not until you face The Final Challenge. One spin will decide your fate. If you win, you go. If you lose, you stay here forever."

Will that be your fate?

Big Al approaches the wheel.

Brad and Patty are holding on to each other.

Your heart is pounding.

Your hands are sweating.

This is it. One spin.

He gives the wheel - with you on it - a hard turn. Where will it stop? Guess!

On PAGE 44?

On PAGE 74?

On PAGE 124?

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Carnival Map
Number from Red Card (132)
Monster Blood

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
None yet

Achievements
Lightning Round: Get the best result on the Wheel of Chance on your first spin, then leave without spinning again.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Arrhythmia posted:

also OP could you please do the goosebumps needful and post some COVER ARTS

Added to the first page.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
74 is what I got.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Based on my highly-sophisticated mind-games, the correct answer is 124.

peachsynapse
Dec 22, 2007

The sea monsters appreciate your good taste.
Oh, thank God, an honest-to-goodness gamebook!

...am I allowed to think it will go to page 132?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The sensors are saying 50 percent Hitler

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I predict page 124.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Arrhythmia posted:

The sensors are saying 50 percent Hitler

...I have no idea what that means.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Rebonack7 posted:

...I have no idea what that means.

I'm guessing 44 as the neonazi number is 88.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Landing on Bankrupt posted:

"FI-NAL! FI-NAL! FI-NAL!" you hear the crowd yelling as you spin round and round.

You're getting dizzy. Really dizzy. So dizzy that you faint.

Three heads are worse than one posted:

Yeoow! Someone splashes cold water in your face. Your eyes open.

"Come on! Wake up! It's almost show time," a raspy voice says.

"Show time?" you say, gazing into the eyes of a dwarf. "What show?"

"The Freak Show. You are the Amazing Siamese Triplets."

You glance around and see Patty on one side of you and Brad on the other. You try to pull away from them, but you can't.

"We're stuck together with some kind of glue," Patty says.

"It isn't glue," Brad argues.

"Is too!"

"Is not!"

Well, whatever it is - you are stuck. Stuck between your arguing friends for a long, long time - like forever. And here's something you can't argue about. This really is...

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Carnival Map
Monster Blood

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
:siren:Lost the Final Challenge and wound up in the freak show.:siren:

Achievements
Lightning Round: Get the best result on the Wheel of Chance on your first spin, then leave without spinning again.

Our options posted:

• Try the rides instead of the midway.
  • Take the blue card instead of the red card.
  • Get one of the other results on the Wheel of Chance.
  • Lose at Guess Your Weight on Mars.
  • Get one of the other results on the Final Challenge.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Blue card.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
No sense putting off the final challenge grind.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Final challenge, let's get this finished up.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Try one of the other results in the FINAL Challenge

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Junpei posted:

Blue card.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

This looks like a great thread that's gonna go places, I'm in for the long haul.

Back to the final challenge

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Okay then, where are we stopping the wheel this time?

On PAGE 44?

On PAGE 74?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Page 44

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Here we go again posted:

You're spinning round and round. Everything is a blur. You can't see, but you hear the crowd chanting, "FI-NAL! FI-NAL! FI-NAL!"

And then the wheel stops.

A huge gasp escapes from the audience.

Did you win or lose?

Neither. You stopped on SPIN AGAIN.

Since we're down to one outcome, I'll go ahead and move on to PAGE 74.

Third time's the charm posted:

Round and round you go. The world is a blur of colors. You can hear the crowd screaming. "FI-NAL! FI-NAL! FI-NAL!"

And the wheel stops.

"Ahhhhhh," the crowd gasps.

What does it mean?

"YOU WIN," Big Al says. "Now come this way to collect your prize and go home.

Not so fast posted:

SUCKER!

You didn't really think you could get out of this easily, did you?

Check out the title of this book: Escape from the Carnival of Horrors.

Horrors! You need to face a lot more horrors - and then (maybe) you'll escape.

Sore losers posted:

ZAP!

Big Al throws a switch and the magnet shuts off. You come flying down to earth - right where Brad and Patty are waiting.

"I played your dumb game. Now let us go!" you tell Big Al.

Big Al doesn't answer. But the crowd does. "SUD-DEN DEATH! SUD-DEN DEATH! SUD-DEN DEATH!"

The crowd surges toward you. They are not friendly. They back you up against a wall. You're trapped.

Trapped by a mob!

You reach into your pocket, hoping to find something that might help you. Something to save you...

If you won a can of Monster Blood, go to PAGE 97.

If you don't have the Monster Blood, run to PAGE 27

Looks like our spin on the Wheel of Chance paid off!

Summon Bigger Fish posted:

Your hand clamps around the can of Monster Blood in your pocket. Quickly you snap off the lid and the green gunk pours out.

"Look! It's alive!" Brad shouts.

He's right. The Monster Blood oozes from the can, quivers, and appears to stretch and pull itself up! Then it starts to roll and bounce, making horrible sucking sounds.

Great! It's rolling into the crowd, sucking up everything in its path!

"Run!" Big Al screams as the huge green ball rolls over the people in the crowd - sucking them up with a loud plop.

Then the Monster Blood hits the side of the tent. It changes direction.

It's coming after you!

The Blood that Ate Almost Everyone posted:

The Monster Blood has grown so big - now you can't see over it or around it.

"Run for your lives!" Patty screams. But reaching the door is impossible.

The mound of green slime is bearing down on you - fast! You stand frozen to the spot. Terrified. And then - just in time - you, Patty, and Brad leap to the side. And the Monster Blood slams into the wall with a crushing force - and plows right through it.

You stare at the giant gaping hole in the wall. Quickly, the three of you jump through the opening. You are standing outside the main gate - where you came in!

There's a wide path of destruction across the field and the forest beyond. From somewhere, a clock chimes twelve times, sending a chill down your spine. And when you peer back at the carnival, it has disappeared. All that's left is a spooky silver mist.

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Carnival Map
Monster Blood

:siren:Goal Endings: 1/2:siren:

Bad Endings
Lost the Final Challenge and wound up in the freak show.

Achievements

Well, we got through the Midway Route a lot quicker than I expected. Should we move on to the ride route, or should we fool around with what we've got some more? As a reminder, our unexplored options are:

• Take the blue card instead of the red card.
  • Get one of the other results on the Wheel of Chance.
  • Lose at Guess Your Weight on Mars.
  • Win the Final Challenge without the Monster Blood.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Blue card.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Junpei posted:

Blue card.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Junpei posted:

Blue card.

We're in no rush to leave, after all.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

I feel blue posted:

Blue is your favorite color. You turn the blue card over.

There is a message: *Help us! You are our only hope. Hurry to the back door of the freak show. Signed, The Freaks.*

"What does this mean?" you ask Madame Zeno. She stares deep into your eyes. Her lips tremble. She leans forward. She's about to speak.

And then the lights go out - and a bloodcurdling scream rips through the dark!

You start to bolt for the door when a dim light suddenly flickers. You stare across the table. Madame Zeno is gone!

You reach out to take the card. And it bursts into red-hot flames! In seconds, the entire tent fills with thick smoke. Flames shoot across the floor. You run for the door.

Outside you gulp the fresh air. Whew! You made it.

You glance back. No smoke. No fire. No tent! Everything has disappeared! What should you do now?

If you decide to help the freaks, go to PAGE 11.

If you don't want to help the freaks, go to PAGE 113.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Carnival Map

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings

Achievements

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

This is basically an afterschool special about dangerous carnies, so we should help the less fortunate.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Help those poor unfortunate freaks!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Help because we're a good child

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Sidequest time! posted:

You've decided to help the freaks. As you race down the midway, you spot Brad and Patty.

"Listen, guys," you tell them, lowering your voice. "We've got a problem. A big problem."

You take a deep breath and tell them all about Madame Zeno and the blue card.

"So," you finish saying, "somebody might need our help in the back of the Freak Show."

"What's a freak?" Brad asks nervously.

"Remember the poster we saw when we came in? The one with the three-headed man and the lady with the snake body?" you remind him.

Brad bites down on his lip. "Are they really real?"

"Sure they're real," Patty chimes in. "I once saw a bearded lady at the circus."

"I don't know," Brad says. "It sounds kind of creepy."

"Well, Madame Zeno said this was my fate. I'm going to help them - whatever they are. Are you guys in?"

"You bet," Patty answers, her eyes shining with excitement.

"Okay, okay. I'll go," Brad mumbles.

"Then let's hurry!" you exclaim.

This place needs a janitor posted:

Five minutes later, the three of you are sneaking down a dark alley. Brad is so frightened, he's practically walking on top of you.

The alley is littered with large cardboard boxes and overflowing trash cans. And it smells like dead fish.

"Hey! Quit stepping on my shoe," you say to Brad.

"I'm not stepping on your shoe," he shoots back. "I'm not anywhere near your stupid shoe."

You glance down. And nearly scream.

Brad's right. He's not stepping on you. But about a dozen rats are.

You shake your foot wildly. The rats scurry off.

Brad catches sight of the rats and tries to bolt.

You and Patty quickly pull him back.

"Hey! Look!" Patty says, pointing up ahead. "A door!"

On the door you see a big sign that reads KEEP OUT, so... you go in.

Meet the Freaks posted:

The room is dark, but all around you, you hear hushed moans. "Help us! Help us!"

"We're in a prison," Patty says. "And look at the prisoners! They're weird!"

Patty is right. As your eyes grow accustomed to the darkness, you see cell after cell. Each one holds a strange-looking prisoner. There's an enormous fat lady who's nearly busting out of the bars. A giant. A dwarf. A young lady with boa constrictors wrapped around her waist. And a woman with a long black beard!

"We're the freakssss," the Snake Lady says. "Every night when the show ends, the master locks us up."

"The master? You mean Big Al is-" you start to say.

"You must help us!" the giant interrupts.

"Sssssssh," the Snake Lady says. "The master'sssss coming - you mustn't be here! Go! That way!" She points to a door down the hall.

Escape through the door down the hall, go to PAGE 48.

Stay and talk to Big Al, go to PAGE 62.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Carnival Map

Bad Endings

Achievements

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Big all seems like a sensible person, I'm sure we can just work this whole mess amica- run for your life.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Stay and Talk. So the goal is to hit every bad end before we finish a book right? :v:

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Stay and dazzle Big Al with our rigorous debating skills.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Eopia posted:

Stay and Talk. So the goal is to hit every bad end before we finish a book right? :v:

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Reasonable discussion posted:

You decide to wait for Big Al.

"Big Al has to free the freaks," you say to Patty and Brad. "If he doesn't, we'll tell him we're calling the police!"

"Free the freaks?" Big Al says, bursting into the room. "The freaks are free to go any time. This prison is all part of the show. Did you pull that 'free us' joke on them?" Big Al laughs heartily.

"He'ssss lying," the Snake Lady says. "We're prisonersssss."

"Oh, come now," Big Al says. "You're not prisoners." And with that he unlocks all the cell doors. Then he turns to you and your friends.

"As you can see, the freaks are free. Now, come with me. You haven't even tried one game on the midway."

"Don't go with him. It's a trick!" the Snake Lady cries.

Should you go with Big Al?

Who's telling the truth? Al or the Snake Lady?

If you want to go with Al, turn to PAGE 84.

If you trust the Snake Lady, turn to PAGE 102.

Following Big Al takes us straight to The Final Challenge - a very bad thing, as we didn't get either of the items needed to survive the angry mob on this path. As such, I'm going to save us some time and trust the Snake Lady.

Nice try, Al posted:

"I'm not going anywhere with you, Big Al. I believe the Snake Lady!"

"So do I," says Patty.

"Me, too!" Brad echoes.

"That's too bad," Big Al says. Then he turns to the Snake Lady.

"And as for you, Miss Reptilia - I told you, you've been overacting. If these kids believe you, we won't be able to torture them with our real horrors."

"Sorry, boss," she says. "So what do you want me to do with them?"

You can hardly believe it! Real horrors?

"What kind of carnival is this?" you shout.

"The Carnival of Horrorssssss," the Snake Lady answers - and that's the good news.

Never trust anything with 'snake' in the name posted:

The bad news is the Snake Lady fooled you.

"Throw them into the large cell with Harold and all the other prisoners," Big Al commands.

You are shoved into a dark cell. You hear a click. You're locked in. As the Snake Lady leaves with Big Al, you can hear their laughter echo down the hall.

You glance into the other cells and think, the freaks are prisoners. They do need our help. Then you peer into the darkness of your cell - to find out who Harold is.

There's no way you could miss him. Harold is a giant. He's huge - twice as big as a football player. His hands are, in fact, the size of two footballs. His arms look like tree trunks.

At first you are afraid of him, but then you think, Hey! He's trapped, too. Maybe we can convince him to help us. And then you get a big idea!

This is a good plan posted:

What's the big idea? You're going to embarrass the giant into helping you.

"Hey, you. You know, you're a real wimp," you say to the giant.

He looks at you as if he can't believe what he hears.

Patty and Brad look at you as if you're crazy.

Maybe you are.

"You wimp," you continue. "You sit here all day, taking orders from that creep, Big Al. And you live in these horrible conditions. Why? Because you're a wimp and you refuse to fight back. You could bend those bars and escape - but you won't. Because you are a wimp - W-I-M-P - wimp.

The giant stands. You gaze up. He's over fifteen feet tall. He lumbers over to you. He isn't smiling.

Is your plan going to work? Is he going to bend the bars to prove you wrong? Or is he going to bend you?

It's out of your control now.

Look out the window.

If it's sunny out, turn to PAGE 45.

If it's raining or if it's nighttime, turn to PAGE 85.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Carnival Map

Bad Endings

Achievements

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
We're goons and we're spending a beautiful sunny day reading in doors

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
It's pissing it down with rain where I am. So that.

This is the only one of these I ever read as a kid, I have a feeling I remember the failure state on the Guess Your Weight on Mars thing being extremely good though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Nice and sunny here.

These are pretty good ways of determining random chance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Um, it's not specifically raining or night here, but it is pretty overcast? I'm not sure what that counts as. drat gamebooks not accounting for literally every possible situation!