Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Sad giant posted:

The giant looms over you. He's as tall as the tree outside your house - and a lot meaner. His huge lips part and he says, "You hurt my feelings."

Then he begins to cry.

"I am not a wimp. I am not," he says between huge sobs.

He sure looks like a wimp.

What did you think was going to happen posted:

Well, looks can fool you. He is not a wimp.

And he's mad - at you.

In the next moment, he scoops you up and hurls you at the cell wall. His throw is so forceful, you smash right through the wall and soar out of the carnival grounds.

Congratulations! You escaped the Carnival of Horrors - but not in one piece.

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Carnival Map

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Lost the Final Challenge and wound up in the freak show.
:siren:Got chucked through a concrete wall by a giant.:siren:

Achievements
Lightning Round: Get the best result on the Wheel of Chance on your first spin, then leave without spinning again.

Our options posted:

• Get one of the other results on the Wheel of Chance.
  • Lose at Guess Your Weight on Mars.
  • Win the Final Challenge without the Monster Blood.
  • Decide not to help the freaks.
  • Flee instead of confronting Big Al.
  • Say it's raining or night so the giant doesn't randomly kill us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
Scratch that, it just started to pour. Hard.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Huh, would you look at that. The sun sure does go down real fast this time of year.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Oops, I think someone just blew up the sun.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Suspiciously erratic weather posted:

The giant hangs over you, flexing his muscles. He squints at you as if you are a bug - ready to be squashed.

"Did you call me a wimp?" he thunders.

You are much too scared to answer.

The giant answers for you. "You're right. I am a wimp!"

And with that, he bends the bars, and you, Patty, and Brad scramble through.

"Follow me," the giant says. "I know a way out of here."

"What about the others?" you ask, pointing to the freaks in the cells that line the wall.

"No problem!" Patty yells, grabbing the keys from a hook on the wall. "Here - catch!"

You quickly unlock all the doors - setting the freaks free!

Lots of new friends posted:

"Yay! Our hero!" the freaks cheer as they bolt out of their cells.

You follow the giant through a side exit. And in no time, you're leading all your new friends to your house.

You're sure your parents won't mind taking them in. After all, how much can a three-hundred-pound giant, a five-hundred-pound fat lady, and a three-headed man eat? Hmmmm. Better not answer that question.

Just be happy that you've come to...

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Carnival Map

Bad Endings
Got chucked through a concrete wall by a giant.

Achievements
Lightning Round: Get the best result on the Wheel of Chance on your first spin, then leave without spinning again.
:siren:Freak Out: Rescue the freaks from the freak show before escaping the carnival.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Lose at Guess Your Weight on Mars.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
Final Challenge. No Items. Us Only.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Haha, I'm so glad we got that ending. We saved all these people, and even better, we're planning to just show up at our house with them and expect our parents to take care of all of them :allears:

I wanna try to Spin the wheel, make the deal!

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I think I want to see what happens if our weight on Mars was correctly guessed.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Eopia posted:

I think I want to see what happens if our weight on Mars was correctly guessed.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Lucky guess posted:

Oh, no! You think the space lady guessed right! Now what's going to happen?

The two guards shove you into the space chamber.

It's a clear, narrow tube that rises up farther than you can see.

As the door slams shut behind you, one of the guards barks, "Get on the scale!"

You step up on the scale - and it shows just how right the space lady's guess was.

You press the chamber-door release, but it's stuck.

You try again. It won't budge.

Maybe it's locked from the outside.

"Hey! I can't get out!" you yell to the guards. But they simply wave.

"Hey, let me out!" Now you're mad. "Let me out!"

All at once the room starts to shake and rattle. RRRRRRRR. The thrust of powerful rocket engines echoes in your ears. It sounds as if you're being launched into space. But that's impossible, isn't it?

Going on a trip in our favorite rocket ship posted:

"Five, four, three, two, one. We have liftoff," a mechanical voice announces.

To your horror, the rocket blasts off! You're slammed against the side of the capsule with hurricane force. Seconds later, you've left Earth's atmosphere.

A recorded message comes on: "Congratulations. You are the perfect weight for our Mars explorer. We'll be monitoring your trip and will bring you back in approximately twenty years - with a plus or minus ten-year margin of error in case something goes wrong. But do not worry. Nothing can go wrong... go wrong... go wrong."

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Carnival Map

Bad Endings
:siren:Launched into space in a malfunctioning rocket.:siren:

Achievements
Freak Out: Rescue the freaks from the freak show before escaping the carnival.

Our options posted:

• Try the rides instead of the midway.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Final Challenge. No Items. Us Only.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
How is that a bad ending? Exploring space sounds frickin' great.

Anyways, gently caress the freaks

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
"I'm never wrong," she says, smirking. "Everyone who has ever played this game with me has been put into a rocket, shot into space and is probably dead. Untold numbers of child death at my hands."

Stine's kinda hosed up.

magikid fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 7, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Honestly this is one of the least hosed up books. I read a lot of the Give Yourself Goosebumps stuff and good god do they go all in on the body horror.

Let's see the Rides path

Zore fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 7, 2017

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

There's a three-way tie at the moment, so next vote for Final Challenge without Monster Blood, skipping out on the freaks, or going on the rides determines what we do.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
We don't need no stinkin' monster blood.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Must've left it in my other pants posted:

The crowd is closing in. Your pockets are empty - you have nothing to defend yourself with. So you run!

You spot a crack in the wall, next to the wheel. It's small - too small for an adult to squeeze through - but you can probably make it.

"Follow me!" you yell out to Patty and Brad as you squeeze through the opening. It leads to a backstage area - and then to the flap of another tent.

You can hear the crowd behind you, trying to follow you through the crack. "Come on! We can slip under this tent," you say. For once, no one argues with you.

The three of you duck in and find yourselves surrounded by another crowd. They are all seated in chairs. And they don't move. They just stare at you with glassy eyes.

Why do they even have all these dummies posted:

They're dummies. That's why they don't move!

"They've got to be here somewhere," you hear Big Al's voice boom outside the tent.

"Hey! This dummy looks just like the one in that GOOSEBUMPS book," Patty says.

"You mean Night of the Living Dummy?" Brad asks.

Great! you think. Your friends are chatting about books minutes before you're about to be attacked by a mob. Then you get an idea.

"Remember those magic words that brought the dummy to life in that book?" you ask your friends. "Maybe we can bring this guy to life and he'll help us - he was pretty tough."

Your friends agree - it's worth a try.

If you think the words are karru marri odonna loma molonu karrano, go to PAGE 69.

If you think the words are oooopah lupah dummie dupah, go to PAGE 82.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Carnival Map
Number from Red Card (132)

Bad Endings
Launched into space in a malfunctioning rocket.

Achievements

GOOSEBUMPS LORE
If you've only heard of a single Goosebumps monster, odds are it's Slappy. He's appeared in more books than any other monster in the series - three original series books, two Goosebumps 2000 books, four Goosebumps HorrorLand books, one Goosebumps Most Wanted book, and, of course, this book. And that's not counting his appearances in the TV show, live-action movie, tie-in video game, or short-lived stage play, nor the recently-released Goosebumps SlappyWorld series.

Like all good horror villains, the exact details of Slappy's origin and powers vary between installments, but the general idea is that he's an evil ventriloquist dummy brought to life by an evil wizard for no adequately explained reason. He usually starts off in a dormant state, only to be brought to life when his latest unfortunate owner reads the aforementioned spell off the note in his pocket. Once awakened, Slappy sets about making trouble for as many people as possible and getting it blamed on his owner. His ultimate goal is usually to force his owner to become his slave - a goal which lends itself to unfortunate implications, especially considering his propensity for violence against his "slaves" and the fact that most of his owners in the series have been underage girls.

In other words, deliberately bringing Slappy to life is a horrible, horrible idea. I honestly cannot think of a single scenario where your chances of survival would be improved by the addition of a psychopathic ventriloquist dummy.

(Also, fun fact: much like fellow horror legend Jason Voorhees, Slappy wasn't the villain of the first story in his franchise. He was a red herring to distract from the real antagonist, another evil dummy with the unfortunate name of Mr. Wood. Slappy took over his role after Mr. Wood's terminal encounter with a steamroller at the end of the book.)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Karru marri odonna loma molonu karrano!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I assume magic spells go best when they're long and complicated and not lawyer friendly references to Willy Wonka.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Why would you do this posted:

"Karru marri odonna loma molonu karrano." You say the magic words and - the dummy comes to life!

He opens his mouth and speaks. "Hey, you. Your face reminds me of a wart I once had removed."

"Come on," you plead. "We're the ones who brought you back to life. Aren't you going to be nice to us? We need your help."

"I'm sorry," the dummy says. "I'm sorry you're so ugly..." Then he laughs at his own lame joke.

You stare at him and his face grows serious. "You brought me to life," he says slowly, "but now you are my slaves."

"Forever - until..."

THE END

Wait! This isn't the way this is supposed to end! Quick - you have one last chance. If the fortune-teller told you a secret number, go to that page now!

Like being back in high school posted:

The fortune-teller said this number might save your life. But how?

Then you see it. In the corner. A tall silver locker with the number 132 painted in red.

"In here," you say, opening the door to the locker. You push Patty and Brad inside.

As soon as you close the door, the locker begins to rattle and shake. You're nearly blinded by a bright, white light. You hear a loud whooshing sound. And then all is silent. The door pops open - and you're amazed at what you see.

I thought we weren't doing time travel until next book posted:

You're outside - standing in Bennet's Field - gazing at the fence that surrounds the carnival.

"I guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow night when the carnival opens," Brad says.

"No way," Patty says. "Let's climb the fence."

What's going on here?

You guessed it. The silver locker was a time machine. You've gone back in time to the first moment you spotted the carnival. Now it appears as if you have to start all over again, fighting horror after horror, right up to...

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Carnival Map

Bad Endings
:siren:Went back in time to the start of the book.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
You forgot the wrong magic words option.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Let's cut our losses and try the rides

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I feel like Rides is a whole other chain, may as well finish up what we can, let's say the wrong magic words.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Our cluck's run out posted:

"Oooopah lupah dummie dupah." You say the magic words and wait for the dummy to spring to life.

And you wait.

And you wait.

The dummy remains the same.

But something strange is happening to you. What are those feathers sprouting out of your skin? And what's happening to your feet? Are those claws you see growing out of them?

Is it possible that the magic words are turning you - CLUCK - into a - CLUCK - chicken?

That's eggs-actly what's happening.

Well, you laid an egg this time. Let's hope you won't be too chicken to open this book again and try once more to escape from the Carnival of Horrors.

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Carnival Map

Bad Endings
Went back in time to the start of the book.
:siren:Accidentally discovered the incantation for the "Turn Self Into Chicken" spell.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Don't release the freaks

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Let's ride the rides.

StupendousMan
Feb 28, 2016
Oh man, this thread already kicks rear end.

Also, it's a shame we've been at this carnival for so long and haven't gone on any of the rides.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

To the rides! posted:

"Let's go on the rides first!" you say. "That roller coaster looked awesome!"

"Okay," Patty agrees. "Over this way!" she yells as she charges over to it.

When you reach the rides, you can only stare in amazement. These are the most fantastic rides you've ever seen. The towering roller coaster... the soaring speedboats... the twisty slides! Every one is in motion. Whizzing, whirling, doing loop-the-loops. And they're all empty! No riders. No people in line!

"Cool!" Patty exclaims. "We have the whole place to ourselves."

Brad's face turns a little green as his gaze swings from the Supersonic Space Coaster to the Doom Slide. "Do you think they have rides that don't go upside-down?" he asks.

"Come on! Let's check out the coaster!" Patty calls to you and Brad. Then they run off to its starting gate.

You stop and crane your neck to gaze up at the coaster's first hill. And you gasp!

Thrills or chills? posted:

The tracks stretch up so high that they seem to touch the clouds. Your gaze follows one of the cars speeding around a sharp curve. It looks like the space shuttle. You notice that it has a safety harness that locks over your body - you've seen those before. They keep you in when the ride turns upside-down. You didn't want to admit it before, but, like Brad, riding upside-down is not your favorite thing.

Still, the coaster does look amazing - one part enters a tunnel - and you can see that the cars go fast. Really fast!

You're just about to walk through the Space Coaster gate when you hear spooky organ music coming from behind you. You turn around. Looming in the distance is a dark and creepy haunted house.

You gaze down at your map. It's called the Little House of Horrors. Hmmm. You love haunted houses. And this one looks really scary.

Now you're not sure what to do. You won't have time for everything. The coaster or the haunted house? Decide now.

If you decide to join Patty and Brad on the Space Coaster, get on board on PAGE 26.

If you want to go to the House of Horrors alone, go to PAGE 64.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Carnival Map

Bad Endings
Accidentally discovered the incantation for the "Turn Self Into Chicken" spell.

Achievements

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

House of hooo~rrors

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Junpei posted:

House of hooo~rrors

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Shoddy construction posted:

The House of Horrors! You have to see it. You just have to!

"I'll catch up with you guys later," you call to Patty and Brad. "I'm going to check out the haunted house."

You glance down at your map for directions. The rickety wooden bridge over to your left appears to lead straight there.

As you start across the bridge, the wooden planks creak under your feet. Then the bridge begins to sway. You look down. Way down. The bridge spans a deep, rocky gorge. Gulping, you grab the handrail. You move slowly. A strong wind blows up from the canyon below. The bridge is swaying wildly now, tossing from side to side.

A massive spear of lightning splits the sky. Thunder rumbles so loudly you jump and lose your balance. "Help!" you scream as you tumble right over the side - and plunge toward the jagged rocks below!

How can you save yourself?

Make a grab for the side of the bridge? Turn to PAGE 46.

Flap your arms and try to fly? Turn to PAGE 30.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Carnival Map

Bad Endings

Achievements

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

We turned into a bird once, and by God, we can do it again!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Octatonic posted:

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I wanna fly highhh

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Octatonic posted:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Logic dictates that attempting to fly should be our last course of action. Therefore, genre-savviness dictates it's what we must do now.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

If it works for the Looney Tunes, it'll work for us posted:

You're falling... falling... You can't think of anything else to do, so you start flapping your arms like a bird.

At that moment a huge gust of air shoots up from under you and blows you back onto the bridge.

Breathing hard, you run the rest of the way across the rickety span. When you reach the safety of the other side, you glance back. And gasp. The bridge and the midway beyond it have vanished! Only a black void remains!

"Wow! Awesome special effects!" you cry out loud. But was your fall part of the special effects, too? It didn't feel like it.

You spin around to face the House of Horrors. Up close it appears really, really creepy. Cobwebs drip down from its roof and an eerie yellow light glows inside. Cool! Next to the house you spot a sign that reads BOAT TRIP TO NOWHERE. There are amazing speedboats that you can drive yourself.

Which should you try first?

Want to try the Boat Trip to Nowhere? Go to PAGE 88.

Ready for the House of Horrors? Go to PAGE 66.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Carnival Map

Bad Endings

Achievements

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Loving this so much. Thanks for this. Although, as a kid, I actually recall preferring the lesser known Strange Matter series. Althuogh still read the poo poo out of Goosebumps.
Wasn't there a blog that had, like, reviews of all of them?

Anyways. My vote is House of Horrors. This is a horror story, dammit!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
A boat trip to nowhere doesn't sound very interesting. DOOMHORROR HOUSE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I have never felt more vindicated by children's literature, not once in my life. I'm going to bask in this, and leave this decision to y'all.