Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

All aboard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
That was a good ending, we escaped :colbert:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Arrhythmia posted:

That was a good ending, we escaped :colbert:

It was a bad ending. It gave kids the idea that you can achieve, at the very least, low earth orbit with an ordinary chemical-propellant cannon.

This is why STEM education in America is so far behind :colbert:

Anyway, train.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You squeeze into the choo-choo and scrunch down. 11:59.

Lights from the carnival people's torches sweep over you. Their foul smell fills your lungs.

The blood pounds in your temples.

You're sure they're going to find you. But you're trapped now.

There's no way out.

You hear someone shout in the distance. "Closing time!" And then you hear a bell start to chime...

...Midnight!

"One, two, three," Brad counts the chimes.

You want to strangle him!

"Four, five..."

Suddenly the kiddie train starts to move.

"Six... seven... eight..."

You sit up and what you see is the biggest shock of this whole horrible night...

quote:

"Nine... ten..."

"Brad, shut up. Look at this!"

You point to the letters on the front of the train car.

You've been staring at them the entire time. Why didn't you notice them before?

"What about the letters?" Patty says sharply.

"Eleven..."

"Don't you see what they say?" you shoot back.

"Right-Way Railroad," Patty reads. "So what?"

The chants of the merry-go-round people echo in your head. There's only one right way. There's only one right way.

Could it be?

"Twelve!"

Now what?

quote:

Just as the clock strikes twelve, the train enters a tunnel.

You hold your breath, wondering what you'll see when you reach the other end.

Chug. Chug. Chug.

The choo-choo slowly pulls out of the tunnel - and you are surrounded by carnival workers - everywhere!

quote:

Carnival workers. The carnival workers who set up the same rinky-dink carnival you go to every summer.

You can't believe your eyes. You must be seeing things!

Patty tries to say something smart, but the only thing she manages is "Huh?"

"Hey, kids!" a worker yells at you. "Get away from that ride. The carnival doesn't start till tomorrow night."

You gaze around in wonder at the faded games, the baby rides, the tacky food stands. For the first time in your life, it all looks great!

"We'll be there!" you shout as you head for your bikes. "This is the greatest carnival I've ever seen!"

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Carnival Map

:siren:Goal Endings: 2/2:siren:

Bad Endings
Lost the Final Challenge and wound up in the freak show.
Got chucked through a concrete wall by a giant.
Launched into space in a malfunctioning rocket.
Went back in time to the start of the book.
Accidentally discovered the incantation for the "Turn Self Into Chicken" spell.
Got hopelessly lost in the mirror maze.
Mistook a monster for a robot and got our head ripped off.
Had our heads chopped off by murderous elves.
Went over a waterfall on the Log Flume and drowned.
Dodged a ghost and immediately collided with another ghost.
Fired ourselves out of a cannon and achieved escape velocity.

Achievements
Lightning Round: Get the best result on the Wheel of Chance on your first spin, then leave without spinning again.
Freak Out: Rescue the freaks from the freak show before escaping the carnival.
Many More to Come: Encounter a total of 10 bad endings.

And with that, we've officially escaped from the Carnival of Horrors once and for all! Until the sequel, that is...

I'll put up the opening post for the next book tomorrow morning. Also, in the interest of saving space, I'll be wiping the records on the character sheet clean at the end of each book. The full list of bad endings and achievements will still be on the first page, but the character sheet will only show the ones we've unlocked during the current book.

Next time on Give Yourself Goosebumps, we'll be going on a long, arduous journey through time and space to stop our inhumanly obnoxious younger brother from getting his stupid rear end justifiably killed.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010

quote:

"We'll be there!" you shout as you head for your bikes. "This is the greatest carnival I've ever seen!"

So they just.. went back. The next night. I can't help but feel these kids are too stupid to survive

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

FluffySquirrel posted:

So they just.. went back. The next night. I can't help but feel these kids are too stupid to survive

The carnival of horrors was replaced with the lovely cheesy carnival that they went to every year!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Leraika posted:

The carnival of horrors was replaced with the lovely cheesy carnival that they went to every year!

or was it

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

GIVE YOURSELF GOOSEBUMPS #02: TICK TOCK, YOU'RE DEAD!

quote:

What a crummy vacation!

You, your little brother Denny, and your parents have come to New York City for Christmas vacation. You thought you'd get to do a lot of cool things, like visit the Statue of Liberty, ride to the 102nd floor of the World Trade Center, and ice-skate at Rockefeller Center.

Instead, your parents are museum freaks.

"It's entertaining," your mom says as she drags you into the Museum of Natural History.

"It's educational," your dad declares as he shows you a collection of ancient pottery.

"It's boring!" you say, but no one listens.

And the worst part is that you're supposed to be in charge of your little red-haired brother Denny. Only Denny doesn't want anyone to be in charge of him. "You're not the boss of me!" he keeps saying.

You follow your parents through the Museum of Natural History. At first it is kind of interesting. You really like the dinosaurs.

"Wait till you see what's in this room!" your mom cries.

quote:

You rush to the next room, expecting something exciting. But your mom is standing in front of a sundial. "Isn't this wonderful?" she exclaims. "An exhibit on time!"

Great, you think. An exhibit on clocks. Boring!

Then Denny gives you a karate kick in the back of the leg.

"Ow!" you cry. "Stop it!"

"You're not the boss of me!" he says smugly.

"Yes, I am!" you reply, punching him in the arm. He whines and complains to your parents. You can't win!

"I'm thirsty," Denny says now. You can see he's eaten almost half a bag of Gummi Bears in less than a minute.

"Can you find a drinking fountain for Denny, dear?" your mom asks without taking her eyes off a grandfather clock.

"Come on." You grab Denny's hand. But Denny pulls away and runs off down a hallway. You follow him. The hallway twists and turns. There's no sign of either Denny or a water fountain. But near the end of the hall you see a sign on a door:

WARNING!

DANGEROUS EXPERIMENT INSIDE

THIS DOOR MUST BE KEPT LOCKED AT ALL TIMES

quote:

Dangerous experiment? What does that mean? you wonder. You notice that the door is slightly open. Oh, no! Denny must have run in here, you think.

You push the door open wider and peek in. There's no sign of Denny. A tall, skinny man with long white hair tied in a ponytail is bent over a computer. The computer is hooked up to a big, strange-looking clock. Between the computer and the clock is a large square contraption that looks like a picture frame. You can hear the computer and the clock beeping and pinging.

"It's about time you got here!" the tall man says, straightening up. "I'm Dr. Peebles. You must be the volunteer."

"Actually," you start to say, "I'm looking for-"

"There's no time to waste!" Dr. Peebles interrupts. "I'm ready to start the experiment. Come on over."

"Well, I-"

"Here!" he says. He places a chain around your neck. On the end of the chain is something that looks like a stopwatch. A very, very odd stopwatch, with a complicated-looking dial and four big knobs.

"Are you ready?" Dr. Peebles asks.

quote:

"Ready for what?" you ask.

"Why, to travel in time, of course," he replies. "You'll be the first human in history to use my traveling chronometer."

"Chronometer?" you echo. "What's that?"

He points to the stopwatch around your neck.

"I don't have time-" you start to say, but he interrupts again.

"Of course you have time!" Dr. Peebles goes on. "It doesn't matter how long you remain in the past or future. When you return to the present, it will be at the same moment that you left. It will be as if you weren't gone at all."

"How does this work?" you ask, pointing to the stopwatch.

"It's easy," says Dr. Peebles. "Press the button on the left side to travel to the past. Press the button on the right for the future. To return to the present, press the top button and the bottom button at the same time."

Cool! you think. What if this guy's invention really works? Traveling in time would be awesome!

"There's no time to waste!" Dr. Peebles says. "I'm ready to begin the experiment now."

quote:

You think for a moment. Dr. Peebles obviously believes you're someone else. But a trip through time sounds like a lot of fun. More fun than staring at crummy old bowls all day. And since you'll return at the exact same time you left, you'll still be able to find Denny and return to your parents before they know anything is wrong.

On the other hand, Denny can get into a lot of trouble very fast. And your parents will blame you if anything happens.

Make a decision now. Do you want to travel in time? Or should you look for your brother first?

If you choose to volunteer for Dr. Peebles's experiment, turn to PAGE 71.

If you think you'd better stay and look for Denny, turn to PAGE 62.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Chronometer

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
None yet

Achievements
None yet

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Let's not abandon our family for this obviously insane man.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

GeneX posted:

Let's not abandon our family for this obviously insane man.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Our little brother is a total dick, let's have an adventure

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
You heard the obviously-insane man! We have nothing to lose! gently caress Denny.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

quote:

You thought you'd get to do a lot of cool things, like visit the Statue of Liberty, ride to the 102nd floor of the World Trade Center, and ice-skate at Rockefeller Center.

I wanna see what the view from there would be like in the future!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Arrhythmia posted:

Our little brother is a total dick, let's have an adventure

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I collected as many of these books as I could when I was a kid. I vaguely remember liking this one a fair amount. Let's ignore the call to adventure and find Denny

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Denny never misses an opportunity to prove that he is just the worst.

Engage in rigorous time science. If the experiment is successful, you can always time travel your way out of Denny problems in the future/past/whatever.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

For Science!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Denny is an rear end in a top hat, Dr. Peebles seems like a cool dude

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Oh, I played this one a lot when I was like eight! Do not abandon your family!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"I'm ready to travel through time!" you tell Dr. Peebles.

"Good," the white-haired man replies. He punches some numbers into the computer keyboard. The computer starts to hum. The square doorway between the clock and the computer fills with a strange, shimmering glow. "The Chronoport is almost ready," the scientist says, pointing to the frame. "I only need to adjust-"

But before he can continue, you hear pounding footsteps. You turn to see Denny racing toward you.

"Denny!" you cry. He's heading straight for the Chronoport. "You can't go in there!"

"You're not the boss of me!" Denny yells. He runs straight through the glowing frame. There's a soft pop before he disappears completely.

"Oh, no!" Dr. Peebles cries. "He went before I made the final settings!" If you don't bring him back within two hours of real time, he'll disappear into timelessness forever!"

quote:

"What?" you cry. You stare at the scientist. Your parents are going to ground you for life if you lose Denny.

"You'll have to travel in time to find him," Dr. Peebles tells you. "I'd better make those adjustments to the Chronoport so you don't disappear into timelessness, too!"

You stare at the scientist as he fiddles with the time machine. You can't believe it - this guy is really serious!

"When you find your brother," Dr. Peebles goes on, "you must be touching each other before you use the chronometer. Otherwise, the device will bring only one of you back."

"No problem," you say. "But where did Denny go? The future or the past?"

"There's no way to know whether he's gone forward in time - or back," Dr. Peebles replies. "You'll have to guess."

You touch the chronometer around your neck. It began measuring real time the second Denny disappeared. Already the seconds are ticking by. You have to decide: Are you more likely to find Denny in the past or in the future?

Travel to the future on PAGE 16.

Go to the past on PAGE 44.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Chronometer

Bad Endings
None yet

Achievements
None yet

As a side note, it was actually pretty tricky setting the goal endings for this book. While there are still plenty of bad endings to go around, Tick Tock, You're Dead! has a lot more good endings than most of these books. As a result, I've chosen the two good endings where we explicitly fulfill our original mission of finding Denny and returning to the present.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Denny comes out of nowhere to gently caress everything up for himself and everyone else. Unbelievable.

Start at the end by going to the future.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Gotta go back, back, back to the past.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

If I know anything about younger brothers, it's that they love dinosaurs. Obviously, Denny went to the prehistoric age.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
We've got to go back... to the future!

Hey, if I didn't make this joke someone else would've.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Go to the future before Denny eats a Doritos Locos Taco. He'll be beyond help after that, time limit or no.

...wait, is this some Schrödinger's Quantum Bullshit where he's both in the past and future and our decision determines which?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Rebonack7 posted:

As a side note, it was actually pretty tricky setting the goal endings for this book. While there are still plenty of bad endings to go around, Tick Tock, You're Dead! has a lot more good endings than most of these books. As a result, I've chosen the two good endings where we explicitly fulfill our original mission of finding Denny and returning to the present.

As opposed to the best ending where we arrange to have always been an only child?

Let's go to the past and make it happen!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I hope we can unmake Denny in a bunch of interesting ways tbh. As such, we should go back to the past

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

quote:

Your parents are going to ground you for life if you lose Denny.

Oh poo poo, if I don't stop my brother from blinking out of existence, my parents will take away my VIDEO GAMES.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Go to the past so we can see a cool dinosaur

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

magikid posted:

Oh poo poo, if I don't stop my brother from blinking out of existence, my parents will take away my VIDEO GAMES.

Look, we're like 10 and he's a little poo poo.

goddamit Denny.

Past for Dinosaurs.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

The Deviations posted:

...wait, is this some Schrödinger's Quantum Bullshit where he's both in the past and future and our decision determines which?

I never went through this book but I'm pretty sure this is exactly the case because of course it is.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

inflatablefish posted:

As opposed to the best ending where we arrange to have always been an only child?

Let's go to the past and make it happen!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

The Deviations posted:

Not just that, but he's frequently in multiple different locations within the same time period. Give Yourself Goosebumps practically runs on Schrödinger's Quantum Bullshit.

quote:

"I'll look for my brother in the past," you tell Dr. Peebles.

"Fine," the scientist replies. He punches another set of numbers into the computer.

"Now step right through the Chronoport," Dr. Peebles instructs you. "And good luck."

You approach the shimmering frame and enter it. You feel a strange tingling sensation. Everything appears hazy, as if you are underwater. A second later you see two paths ahead in the mist.

Wow!

At the end of the left-hand path you squint to see a tall stone castle in the distance. A knight in shiny armor on a white horse rides toward it.

At the end of the right-hand path there's a swamp with tall, strange-looking trees towering over it. Moving among the trees is... can it be? A dinosaur!

Which path did your brother choose? Which one will you take? Quick, decide!

If you think Denny ran toward the knight, turn to PAGE 93.

If you think he checked out the dinosaur, turn to PAGE 11.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Chronometer

Bad Endings
None yet

Achievements
None yet

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

He's a kid, kids loving love dinosaurs, right? Sure.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

someone awful. posted:

He's a kid, kids loving love dinosaurs, right? Sure.

Duh.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
We have to look all over all of time to find Denny? All 13ish billion years since the Big Bang, plus ~100ish trillion years until the last star goes out? All to recover that shin kicking little poo poo? gently caress.

Probably start with the dinosaur I guess I dunno. Seems incredibly unlikely that we would ever find him.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Denny loves dinosaurs. You decide to explore the swamp where you saw the dinosaur. You're sure Denny went that way.

As you move toward the swamp, tall, fernlike vegetation surrounds you. Your feet sink into the thick, mucky water.

Through the trees you can see huge shapes moving about. Real dinosaurs! Cool! you think. This is just like Jurassic Park - only better!

The dinosaurs are red, blue, green, and lavender - as colorful as birds. Some dinosaurs are the size of dogs and cats. Other dinosaurs are bigger than a house. They're all munching on leaves and weeds.

You're about to move closer when a tremendous noise shakes the ground.

The trees sway as the rumbling grows louder. And louder. What's happening?

You peer through the giant ferns toward a grassy plain. Your eyes grow wide. You can't believe it. Lumbering toward you is - a Tyrannosaurus Rex!

quote:

The huge tyrannosaur towers over the other dinosaurs. It's bigger than you ever imagined. Its teeth are as long and sharp as carving knives.

The enormous creature lets out a roar as it crosses the grassy plain. You freeze. Your heart pounds in terror.

The other dinosaurs all start to run away. But one, who was grazing on ferns, is slower than the others. The tyrannosaur easily catches up to it and tears the small dinosaur's head off in one bite!

Then the tyrannosaur swings its head and stares straight at you! You take off as fast as you can. The tyrannosaur follows. Closer and closer.

Ahead there's a swampy patch of land. You race toward it. Something small is sitting in the middle of the swamp.

It's Denny!

But what's he doing? Why isn't he moving?

You glance back over your shoulder. The dinosaur is still right behind you.

"Denny!" you call out. "Run!"

"I can't," he yells back. "I'm stuck in quicksand!"

quote:

You reach the swamp and grab Denny's hands. With all your might, you pull. But Denny is completely stuck!

You pull Denny again. This time he panics. He grabs wildly at you. The chronometer flies off the chain around your neck and into the mud..

Now the tyrannosaur is only a few yards away. Its terrible face is so close, you can see its sharp, pointed teeth and smell its hot, stinking breath. The dinosaur roars, shaking the nearby trees.

You yank Denny one more time. With a loud plop! he's freed from the quicksand. But now the tyrannosaur is only a few feet away. It opens its mouth wide and stretches its fierce claws toward you.

Frantically, you look around for the chronometer. You've got to get back to the present. But there's no trace of the stopwatch. It's been sucked into the mud!

Should you try to dig the chronometer out of the muck? Or try to run away from the tyrannosaur? Which will you choose?

If you decide to dig for the chronometer, turn to PAGE 126.

Think you can escape the tyrannosaur? Turn to PAGE 100.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet

Achievements
None yet

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Chronometer

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Jurassic Park has taught us that Tyrannosaurs are easily escapable by plucky pre-teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zore posted:

Jurassic Park has taught us that Tyrannosaurs are easily escapable by plucky pre-teens.

Jurassic Park also taught us that T-Rex can't see motion. Like Reigen Arataka, Jurassic Park being good doesn't mean it's trustworthy.

Chronometer