Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Let's maybe not get ourselves trapped in the Cretaceous period. Dig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This whole family are made of absolute shits. Normally there's at least one character who's not obnoxiously terrible, but these 4 deserve each other so let's Dig and reunite these terrible people.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

No way we're outrunning a motherfuckin' T. Rex so let's dig.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Dig because even if you escape, with no time machine you're hosed.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
By the way, I remember seeing the cover of one of these books at a library when I was about 6 or 7, and it scared the crap out of me, but I haven't been able to find it since. I think it had something to do with a babysitter?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i just want to become our own dad

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

where the red fern gropes posted:

Page 64: Oh yes, a lesson in not changing history from Mr I'm-my-own-Grandpa!

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

You want to become so downtrodden by your 9-to-5 that old clay pots blow your loving mind?

Dig. The t-rex might eat us, but without the chronometer Denny is definitely dead, and without Denny we're dead.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You've got to find the chronometer. You stick your arm deep into the quicksand. You feel around with your fingers... nothing.

Suddenly the Tyrannosaurus rex lets out a roar.

You plunge both hands into the quicksand. Beside you, Denny drops to his hands and knees to search, too.

You sift frantically through the mud. The dinosaur comes closer and closer. He reaches out one claw. Then he lets out a tremendous sound. It's a burp from his earlier feast - a gigantic burp as loud as an explosion!

The force of the burp knocks both you and Denny over. The two of you pitch forward... right into the quicksand!

Oh, no! You're both being pulled down, down into the quivering muck, to meet...

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
:siren:Knocked face-first into a pit of quicksand by a belching dinosaur.:siren:

Achievements
None yet

Our options posted:

• Find Denny instead of travelling through time.
  • Go to the future.
  • Go toward the knight.
  • Run from the tyrannosaur.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Let's run!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
[b]Let's Run[\b]

What is the `Knight` about? Didn't we go from present day directly to prehistoric time?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Let's Run

What is the `Knight` about? Didn't we go from present day directly to prehistoric time?

No, first we told the Doc we wanted to head into the past, then we stepped into the chronoportal. There, we could go towards the dinosaur (prehistoric time, and the one we chose) or a knight (medieval time and the one we didn't choose).

Anyway, gently caress it, let's try to outrun a dinosaur.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Let's try to outrun the T Rex although they were probably pretty fast by human standards so I don't think it will work.

Boy, Denny really hosed us with this dinosaur business.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You've got to get away from the fierce tyrannosaur. You grab Denny's hand and take off through the trees. The dinosaur chases you, but it's too big to fit easily between the trees.

You and Denny zig one way and zag another. Finally the two of you crouch down behind a thick tree trunk. You both gasp for air.

In the distance, you can see the tyrannosaur. It glances all around. At last it lets out a defeated-sounding roar and ambles off.

"Way to go!" Denny shouts. You and your brother high-five each other. Now all you have to do is go back to the swamp and find the chronometer.

But which direction is it? You've done so much twisting and turning, you aren't sure where the swamp is.

Luckily, Denny seems to remember the way. You follow him through the forest and finally come to the swampland. As you rush over to the pool of quicksand, all you can think about is the time ticking by. How much longer before Denny disappears forever?

quote:

You reach into the pool of quicksand and feel around for the chronometer. Suddenly, the ground begins to shake violently. Under your feet the earth sways, and a deafening rumble fills the air.

"What's going on?" you yell to Denny. Smoke pours out of the top of a nearby mountain.

"A volcano!" you shout.

A second later, the top of the volcano blows off. Red-hot lava pours out. Even though the volcano is at least a half mile away, you can feel the heat against your skin.

Large rocks, glowing white-hot, begin to land in the swamp like bombs. "Watch out!" Denny shrieks. "Duck!"

You cover your head and throw yourself on the ground.

Whoomp! A rock just misses you. It splashes into the mud and throws up a shower of mud and water and - something shiny.

Could it be? Yes, it's the chronometer!

Quickly, you crawl over and scoop it up. It's covered with mud. Desperately, you feel for the buttons on the side of the chronometer. Your fingers close on two of them.

quote:

You press the button under your middle finger and immediately feel a tingling sensation. When it stops, you're standing near small trees. In the distance long-necked dinosaurs are grazing on some plants.

Dinosaurs! How far back in time have you gone? You don't have time to think about it when Denny says, "Look at these weird rocks!"

Denny's standing next to six round, speckled boulders. They're not rocks, you realize. They're eggs. Dinosaur eggs! As you stare at the rocks, you hear a steady tapping sound. Then one of them begins to crack.

"Wow!" you cry. "I think this egg's about to hatch!"

"I want to do something else," Denny whines. "I'm bored." He grabs the chronometer and runs off.

"Denny, come back!" you scream. But he keeps running.

You're going to have to go after him. But if you do, you'll miss the coolest thing that's happened since you got here. What should you do?

Watch the egg hatch on PAGE 130.

Chase Denny on PAGE 61.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Knocked face-first into a pit of quicksand by a belching dinosaur.

Achievements
None yet

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Let's trade Denny for a pet dinosaur. Watch the egg hatch.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The little poo poo's got the chronometer, we have to get it back before he strands us here

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Where's my loving money chronometer, Denny?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

serefin99 posted:

No, first we told the Doc we wanted to head into the past, then we stepped into the chronoportal. There, we could go towards the dinosaur (prehistoric time, and the one we chose) or a knight (medieval time and the one we didn't choose).

Anyway, gently caress it, let's try to outrun a dinosaur.

Must have missed or skimmed that decision, thanks.

lets run after that chronometer

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

If nature documentaries have taught me anything, then it's that baby animals imprint on the first thing they see after birth/hatching. Let's become a mother to this baby whatever.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Holy God almighty leave Denny to his fate.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied at the moment, next vote gets it.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Egg

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Hang out with the egg and hopefully Denny will run off and die someplace.

Seriously, he complains about being bored immediately after nearly being eaten by a dinosaur after getting out of a time machine he didn't know existed an hour ago? Who is this kid?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

No way. You're not going to miss seeing a real dinosaur being born. You'll catch up with Denny in a few minutes.

You keep your eyes on the big speckled egg.

This is too cool, you think. Maybe it's a brachiosaurus or a triceratops. You've always wanted to see one of them.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The baby dinosaur struggles to get out.

CRACK! The enormous egg splits open.

You lean forward - you're dying to see this!

Then out it pops. You see a long tail... a tiny beak... and soft wet feathers.

FEATHERS?

You can't believe it. This baby's not a dinosaur. It's a chicken.

Some kind of weird, prehistoric chicken!

Okay. Now you've learned your lesson.

Never count your dinosaurs before they hatch!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Got distracted watching a prehistoric chicken hatch.:siren:

Achievements
None yet

Our options posted:

• Go to the future.
  • Go toward the knight.
  • Ignore the egg and chase after Denny.

I'm honestly not sure why this is a bad ending. My best guess is that while we were watching the egg hatch, Denny got himself and the chronometer eaten by velociraptors and now we're stuck in the past.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
But stuck in the past without Denny, right? Good ending :colbert:

Anyway, Chase after the little poo poo.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

I refuse to believe that this is a fork in our continuity. We answered the feather question; now back to our duties as the most parental figure in Denny's life.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

What the hell, why is that an end. HOW is that an end. :psyduck:

May as well go after our idiot brother and pick up where we left off.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You take off after your brother. But by the time you reach the tree where you last saw him, he's gone.

Then something on the ground near the tree catches your eye. It's the chronometer. But where's Denny? And why did he leave the chronometer behind?

You scoop up the device and run your finger over the buttons. Denny said he wanted to do something else. He was probably bored with the past and decided to go to the future.

You quickly press the button on the right and feel a tingling sensation.

A purple mist surrounds you. Everything turns blurry. You close your eyes, hoping your dizziness will pass.

You open your eyes again. And blink. Twice.

A futuristic-looking city looms in the distance.

quote:

You decide to go toward the futuristic city. All around you are buildings made of shiny metal and glass. Cars - with wings - fly above your head. The streets are empty and clean, with no litter - not even a gum wrapper.

Is this New York in the future? It certainly looks different from the one you're visiting in the present.

You're about to start looking for Denny when a hand closes on your shoulder in an icy grip.

"Human?" a hollow-sounding voice says. "You're under arrest!"

You whirl around. Gripping your shoulder is a shiny metal robot with a policeman's badge welded to its chest. The robot's face is expressionless, and it's holding something that looks like a laser gun. No wonder everything is so clean and quiet, you think. The city is run by machines!

"Don't you know that humans aren't allowed out in the streets?" the robot demands.

"I come from... another place," you quickly reply. "I don't know your rules. Give me another chance."

"That's for the judge to decide," the robot says. "Come with me."

quote:

You follow the robot into a big , glass-walled building. He leads you to a courtroom. A shiny robot dressed in black sits behind a tall desk.

The judge, you realize.

"You are accused of appearing in the streets, human," the judge says. "How do you plead?"

"Guilty, Your Honor," you say. "But I didn't-"

"Silence!" the judge cuts you off. "There are no excuses. For punishment, you may have your choice: You will be sentenced to school or to the zoo."

School? The zoo? What kind of punishment is this? To find out, make a choice now.

Get sentenced to school, turn to PAGE 9.

Go to the zoo on PAGE 55.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Chronometer

Bad Endings
Got distracted watching a prehistoric chicken hatch.

Achievements
None yet

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Let's get educated.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

All things considered, we might actually need some education.

(Odds are we'll just get thought control.)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Maybe we can take a history class at school.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I remember actually being irritated by that bit of railroading.

Like, gently caress you book, I wouldn't say I'm guilty.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

The zoo will have either Denny or an evolved cat we can pass off as Denny because Denny, like a cat, does whatever he loving wants.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The Deviations posted:

The zoo will have either Denny or an evolved cat we can pass off as Denny because Denny, like a cat, does whatever he loving wants.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

The Deviations posted:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Deviations posted:

Look. It's the future. Robots rule the Earth, humanity is probably extinct or off on the moon or something. The zoo is just going to be full of moose and boar, who will murder you over and over.

School, meanwhile, might mean working with Pascal. Everybody likes Uncle Pascal.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Honestly what's the difference between our brother and a random animal?

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

The zoo is just going to be full of moose and boar, who will murder you over and over.

At least they'll be proactive about ending our suffering, instead of this ginger ADD-addled HFCS-powered oversight on our mothers' part to keep her extramarital dalliances discrete that we're stuck raising while our deeply unhappy parent/s hide their ennui by attempting to culturally enrich themselves despite the fact that their selves are all but absent after their employers and their need to keep up with the Joneses have taken their share (and then some) of their souls.

Also, he took us away from the dinosaurs. gently caress Denny.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You love the zoo! What a weird punishment, you think, as the police robot takes you away in a flying car.

Soon you zoom through the zoo gates. Giraffes, elephants, tigers, and antelopes roam around the grounds. Instead of bars, a shimmering transparent force field separates the animals from the viewers.

"You will remain here," the robot announces, stopping in front of an exhibit that looks like a living room, with a couch, chairs, and a TV.

The robot yanks the chronometer off your neck.

"Give that back!" you shout, but the robot ignores you. It aims its laser gun at the force field around the exhibit. The field dissolves, and the robot pushes you into the exhibit.

"Wait a minute!" you protest. "You can't leave me here!"

"I'm sure you will be comfortable," the robot tells you. It zaps its gun again, and the force field goes back up.

"No!" you cry, trying to push through the force field.

Then a group of robots approaches. Two little ones point and make strange coughing noises.

What are they pointing at?

quote:

"Look at this one!" says a little robot. It gazes at the sign in front of the force field. "It's the 'Couch Potato' exhibit," the small robot goes on. It begins making strange noises again.

"It's not polite to laugh at the humans," one of the bigger robots says.

"But Mommy," replies the little one. "It's so funny-looking. Here, human!" it adds. It shoves something through the force field. You lean down to pick up a candy bar.

"Look!" says the little one. "It picked up the candy! It's eating it!" The small robot pushes another candy bar through the force field.

With a sinking feeling, you realize that you're stuck here for good. But cheer up. At least when the little robots visit, you'll get to eat plenty of candy.

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Chronometer

Bad Endings
Got distracted watching a prehistoric chicken hatch.
:siren:Got locked up and used as a zoo exhibit.:siren:

Achievements
None yet

Our options posted:

• Go to the future.
  • Go toward the knight.
  • Get sentenced to school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

State-mandated obedience training it is, then.