Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I wanna see knights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Maybe they can learn us a thing or two.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Added Space posted:

I wanna see knights

Agreed. Nuts to this future junk. We still have a chance to delete Denny and cause a cool paradox

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

serefin99 posted:

Maybe they can learn us a thing or two.

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
Oh hey this was the book I had as a kid! All I can remember though is one of the choices involving a bit of math or something like that.

Anyway the future sucks lets go check out the Knights

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Next vote for school or knights decides it.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Go to School young man!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"I choose school," you tell the judge.

The robot policeman drags you off to another room in the same building. You are surprised to see that it's a regular classroom with wooden desks, a blackboard, and a computer center. There is also a metal box the size of a closet standing in the front of the room.

The desks are all filled with human students about your age.

"We will continue the quiz now," the teacher says in a hollow voice. "Anita, what is the capital of Ulan Bator?"

A girl stands nervously. "I - I don't know," she stammers.

"Then you must enter the frammilizer," the teacher says.

The girl bites her fingernails as she goes to the front of the room. She climbs into the metal box. The teacher slams the door shut and presses a button. The box hums, then glows bright green. When the door springs open, you gasp out loud.

quote:

The girl is gone!

"Jackson," the teacher goes on, as if nothing has happened. "What is 43,000,000 divided by 7.645328?"

A tall, pale boy stands up. He doesn't answer for a moment, then shakes his head. "I don't know," he says.

"Go into the frammilizer!" the robot commands.

Slowly, Jackson walks to the front of the room. He steps into the box. A moment later he, too, is gone. Frammilized.

You watch in horror as your classmates disappear, one by one. In a moment it will be your turn. You've got to do something and do it fast!

You could use the chronometer to leave the future, but you haven't found Denny!

On the other hand, you've always done well in school - maybe you'll be able to answer the teacher's question.

Answer the teacher's question on PAGE 133.

Use the chronometer on PAGE 68.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Chronometer

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
Knocked face-first into a pit of quicksand by a belching dinosaur.
Got distracted watching a prehistoric chicken hatch.
Got locked up and used as a zoo exhibit.

Achievements
None yet

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Let's answer the question. We're not dumb, we got this.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

someone awful. posted:

Let's answer the question. We're not dumb, we got this.

Agreed.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

This is only marginally worse than real public school. Let's get the hell out of Dodge.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FjWe31S_0g

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Surely we're smart enough to answer the question!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
If they just wanted to murder kids, there are more efficient ways than forcing them to answer incredibly difficult questions and executing them when they fail. Give the question a go. Worst-case scenario is probably that we get turned into a robot or something.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

If they just wanted to murder kids, there are more efficient ways than forcing them to answer incredibly difficult questions and executing them when they fail. Give the question a go. Worst-case scenario is probably that we get turned into a robot or something.

You mean best case scenario. Let's answer the question.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

The teacher turns to you. "Stand up," the robot orders.

Nervously, you stand. You hold your breath as the teacher starts to speak. This is the moment. Can you answer the question, or will you be frammilized?

"The ancient British wizard Morgred used a magic spell to travel in time. The spell made use of three magical objects. What are they?"

Morgred? He was the wizard in the GOOSEBUMPS book A Night in Terror Tower. You remember him. But can you remember the answer to the question? If you can't, you'll have to guess. Think carefully, then answer.

Are the three objects a pin, a pipe, and a potato? If so, turn to PAGE 103.

Or are the magical objects three white stones? If that is your answer, turn to PAGE 28.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Chronometer

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet

GOOSEBUMPS LORE
A Night in Terror Tower is one of the more unique entries in the Goosebumps franchise, as it's much more a fantasy story than a horror story. To give a quick summary, the book follows a pair of siblings named Sue and Eddie touring London, only to find themselves stalked by a mysterious man in black and plagued by growing holes in their memories. It's gradually revealed that the two are actually the children of a medieval king who was overthrown by his wicked brother. As you'd expect from that last sentence, the usurper decided that having the old king's kids around was a liability and ordered the Lord High Executioner to kill them. To save their lives, the aforementioned obligatory Merlin expy royal wizard Morgred chucked them into the future and rewrote their memories to make them think they belonged there.

At the end of the book, the children manage to strand the Lord High Executioner in the past, and Morgred moves to the present to look after them. Still, letting that evil king get away with attempted child murder seems like a bit of a downer. I wonder if we'll ever get the chance to teach him a lesson? *cough* *cough*

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

The Red Dwarf crew travelled in time by turning eight lemons into batteries, and they only did that because it would have been harder to find potatoes.

Educational!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I never actually read Night in Terror Tower, but 3 white stones sounds like a bunch of magical objects. Therefor that is not what they were. Pin, pipe, potato

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
So disappointed to revisit this thread after a few days only to find that Denny is probably still alive.

Magical p's.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"The three objects are a pin, a pipe, and a potato," you tell the robot.

"WRONG!" the teacher thunders. "You know the penalty for a wrong answer! Now step forward!"

You start toward the frammilizer. Slowly you feel for the chronometer around your neck. But before you can press any buttons, the robot snatches it away with its metal claws.

"No tricks!" the robot says. "Now enter the frammilizer!"

There's no way out now.

As you step into the strange metal box, your heart sinks to the bottom of your toes. You're a complete failure. You haven't found Denny, and you couldn't answer the teacher's question. Then again, you're about to become the first kid you know to be frammilized.

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Chronometer

Bad Endings
:siren:Answered the teacher's question wrong and got frammilized.:siren:

Achievements
None yet

Our options posted:

• Find Denny instead of travelling through time.
  • Go to the future.
  • Go toward the knight.
  • Use the chronometer before the teacher reaches us.
  • Answer the teacher's question correctly.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Dang it you guys, those things didn't sound magical at all!

Screw this, let's go hang out with those knights I guess.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

orbs

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Let's show them we really are good at school.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I legitimately have never read that book but hey, now I know Not Merlin used something legitimately magical in nature, so let's give the right answer.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I think doggedly staying on this path and answering the teacher correctly is our best bet for letting danny escape

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

But the potato battery! Aren't kids' books supposed to be subversively educational?

Fine, the three seashells rocks then. God, I love multiple choice exams.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I am deeply disappointed by this non-reveal.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"The magical objects are three white stones," you tell the robot.

The robot's face is blank. "Correct," it says. "But we will see how you do on the next round.

You know you're never going to make it through the next round. You quickly grasp the chronometer and press the button on the right to go farther into the future.

Immediately you feel a tingling sensation. When it stops, you're still seated - but not on the hard wooden chair in the classroom. Instead, you're strapped into a comfortable, soft seat. Whooshing sounds surround you.

Is this an airplane?

You glance out a window. Outside is black, empty space, dotted with brilliant white stars. Up ahead is a big, doughnut-shaped structure with spaceships docked by its doors.

You're not on an airplane - you're on a space shuttle! And it's travelling toward a space station.

"Thirty seconds to docking!" an intercom squawks.

quote:

The space shuttle finally docks at a huge, orbiting space station. The doors glide open. You walk off the shuttle and enter a corridor.

Inside the space station, robots and humans hurry along the walkway. Denny might be here somewhere - but where?

A pair of robots wearing security badges stare right at you. All the other humans are wearing bright yellow uniforms, you notice. You'd better find one right away, before someone tries to stop you.

Just ahead is a door marked SUPPLIES. Inside, a pile of freshly laundered uniforms sits on a shelf.

quote:

Disguised in the uniform, you hurry out of the closet to explore the space station. This place is too cool. Through the windows you can see thousands of stars. Sophisticated-looking computers with colorful lights are scattered all over this place.

The chronometer's steady ticking reminds you that time is running out. You'd better find Denny quickly and get back to the present.

You wander through a door and see a sign pointing to something called TELETIME.

Then two robots approach. One of them draws a laser.

Just ahead is a branch in the corridor. A green sign points to HYDROPONICS and a purple one points to ENGINE ROOM.

Make a choice and start running!

Follow the green sign to Hydroponics on PAGE 80.

Take the purple sign to the Engine Room on PAGE 74.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Chronometer

Bad Endings
Answered the teacher's question wrong and got frammilized.

Achievements
None yet

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
System Shock 2 has taught me that Hydroponics is the place you want to visit first.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You tear down the corridor to the Hydroponics area.

What a jungle! Thick, green leaves and winding vines creep all around the room. Strange-looking plants grow everywhere. You notice that they're all potted in a pink solution that is bubbling furiously.

You watch the doorway as you look around. The robots may catch up to you at any minute.

"Denny!" you call. "Are you in here?"

You wander past odd-shaped leaves, strange-smelling flowers, and heavy, colorful fruits. You've never seen anything like them. You wonder if something in outer space caused ordinary earth plants to mutate into strange new forms.

You come to a large sign that reads DANGER.

Huh? What could be dangerous in a room full of plants?

Then you see it: a vine with a stem as thick as an elephant's leg. Its flower is huge, with sharp-looking petals.

You step forward for a closer look. Suddenly the flower lunges at you, its petals snapping shut an inch from your nose!

quote:

As you back away from the vicious flower, its curling vine sends out new shoots.

Beyond the plant you see a sign marked EXIT. Can you get around the vine and make your escape?

Or, off to your right is a rack of garden tools. You see a long rake that looks pretty sharp. Maybe you'd better get the rake first and fight off the vine.

Quick! Make a decision! Will you grab the rake first? Or run straight for the door?

To grab the rake, turn to PAGE 123.

To try to go through the exit, turn to PAGE43.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Chronometer

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

never go unarmed, take the rake

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Fight back against the green menace

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You grab the rake. Then, holding it out in front of you, you inch toward the door on the other side of the room. The vine follows you, its flower head still snapping like mad.

You're about to reach for the doorknob when something grabs your ankle.

The vine is coiling around your legs!

Desperately, you hack at the vine with the rake. But it's no use. The vine rapidly works its way up your body, wrapping you up as tightly as a mummy!

Suddenly the door opens. Someone walks in, singing the words to your favorite song.

It's Denny!

You open your mouth to yell to him. But it's no use. You can't speak - you can't even move.

You hear Denny moving around the room, looking at everything. Then he stops right in front of you.

He looks closely at the vine holding you prisoner. "Cool plant," he says.

Cool plant?

That's not a plant - it's you!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Chronometer

Bad Endings
:siren:Wrapped up by space plant tentacles.:siren:

Achievements
None yet

Our options posted:

• Find Denny instead of travelling through time.
  • Go to the future.
  • Go toward the knight.
  • Use the chronometer before the teacher reaches us.
  • Go to the engine room.
  • Run for the door in the Hydroponics room.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Did I say fight back? I meant run away.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Just one time I wish Denny would be helpful in some way. Just one time.

Run away.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

You know, I'll give RL Stine's small army of ghostwriters some credit here: Denny is the best at being the worst.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

This book's bad ends are way dumber than the first one.

Let's run, then.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Frantically you pull the vine out of your path and race to the exit. The plant send tendrils racing after you. They snap at your ankles.

A cluster of geraniums twists and turns toward you. As you approach, one of them sprays a bubbling pink solution at you. You skid in the slimy liquid and fall down.

Up ahead a giant cucumber plant hurls its fruit. You duck as a grapevine fires off hard green grapes.

HELP! You're being attacked by plants!

You scramble to your feet and barely make it to the exit. You fall into the corridor outside.

quote:

You lean against the wall of the corridor, trying to calm yourself. The only person who can help you find Denny is Dr. Peebles. You pull the chronometer from under your uniform and press the top and bottom buttons to return to his laboratory. You've got to escape before anyone - or anything - comes after you again.

But nothing happens.

You press the buttons again, and nothing happens.

Oh, no.

What will you do now? You glance up and notice the sign pointing to TELETIME. Maybe it has something to do with time travel. Maybe there's another way to get back to the present.

quote:

You follow the sign to Teletime. It's a spacious room full of electronic equipment. A large panel in the center of the room contains dozens of TV monitors.

On the monitors you can see several scenes from the past: Alexander the Great's army, the signing of the Declaration of Independence, the landing on the moon. A robot in a white lab coat watches the monitors and doesn't notice you.

Maybe the robot can help you return to your own time. You're about to ask for help when an alarm sounds.

"ATTENTION ALL PERSONNEL!" a loudspeaker squawks. "BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR AN INTRUDER!"

The robot scientist whirls around and spots you. He pulls out a laser gun. "Explain yourself!"

What do you do now? Tell the truth and ask the robot for help? Or try to trick it?

Ask for help on PAGE 125.

Trick the robot on PAGE 99.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Chronometer

Bad Endings
Wrapped up by space plant tentacles.

Achievements
None yet

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

This character has definitely proven bright enough that I trust them to trick a robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Lying is morally wrong. Tell the truth.