Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Is there a significance to the asterisk in the previous update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

The rules didn't say I couldn't let it bounce a few times before catching it, right?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

If they just wanted to murder kids, there are more efficient ways than forcing them to answer incredibly difficult questions and executing them when they fail. Give the question a go. Worst-case scenario is probably that we get turned into a robot or something.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I am deeply disappointed by this non-reveal.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Little kids are even stupider than the rest of us, and I don't mean that derisively; their brains lack both sufficient input and sufficient physical structure to function with any maturity. I guarantee you that you did stuff just as bad when you were Denny's age. Heck, my six-year-old little sister once threatened to kill my mom because she (the sister) didn't want her hair brushed. You, and she, just didn't have someone around who would actually do it.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

The page starting 'The Horror Club sounds great!' would make just as much sense coming after us saying yes at the first 'choice'. Is it, in fact, the same page?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I love how the kids don't even think about telling their mom that she works for a homicidal mad scientist. Like, it'd be one thing if they thought she wouldn't believe them, but they're like 'I'm just glad today is over'.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

You've got some Google cruft on that URL. Here, let me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9nCojUzuOo

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Running away to join the circus is still a thing kids do, right?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

poisonpill posted:

Second choice of the game: eat peanut butter, the die in a refrigerator.

Yeah, that was some Punky Brewster poo poo right there.

poisonpill posted:

The only better one was the Greek myth cyoa that kills you before the first choice in the game.

Are you talking about the Cretan Chronicles? The first two books didn't do that, and I can't find a copy of the third in a fifteen-second Google search. I know Creature of Chaos can, and probably will, put you in a 'dead man walking' state before your first true choice, but that's because you have to roll dice for the first several choices, and also because :fightingfantasy:.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

poisonpill posted:

Yes! That's the one. There was an LP of it a long time back, and if my memory serves, the third book starts with the character marrying a kin-killer or something, unleashing the anger of the gods. The only way to avoid it is to skip ahead using some kind of mechanic from the book I don't remember. I always thought that was clever.

I wouldn't call that killing the player before their first choice, because the mechanic in question gives you a choice.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I was born in Washington state, so... get back to me if there's an apple-related issue?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Epicurius posted:

So, having sat through this book, I got to thinking about rules that gamebooks/choose your own adventure books should follow, because I'm thinking this book serves as a great negative example. Honestly, I hated this book, and while none of the books we've read so far are classics of modern literature, this book is by far the worst.

A rule I'd like to add: unless your gamebook is intentionally silly, the world should be consistent across choices. Unlike how the guy knocking at the door was a bellhop if you opened the door or the mummy if you didn't.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Rebonack7 posted:

Before you ask, yes, this is one of those Schroedinger's Quantum Bullshit choices where someone different shows up based on our decision.

If someone bad shows up, we'll want to be hidden; if someone good shows up, worst case we scare them off by emerging. Hide.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KK14lsnUyE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHWbsvgQUE