Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The rowdy friends

They back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

By the way, has there been anything resembling an explanation as to why the Chiefs cut Maclin yet? I figured it may have been a locker room thing, but Alex Smith was beside himself when asked about the cut.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

fsif posted:

By the way, has there been anything resembling an explanation as to why the Chiefs cut Maclin yet? I figured it may have been a locker room thing, but Alex Smith was beside himself when asked about the cut.

Everything I've read mentioned that the Chiefs are in cap hell after this year and are trying to get out from under it. The article I was linked to from Rotoworld speculates that Alex Smith is bye-bye after this season.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I assume it's mostly a salary cap thing. Some players are going to get expensive soon and I saw someone mention they're hovering near cap hell

pubic works project posted:

Everything I've read mentioned that the Chiefs are in cap hell after this year and are trying to get out from under it. The article I was linked to from Rotoworld speculates that Alex Smith is bye-bye after this season.

I'd be a little surprised if Mahomes starts after sitting just one season but if anyone can pull it off it's Andy Reid

Intruder fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 5, 2017

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

But why do they need the cap space now? Couldn't they use him this year and then cut him next?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

fsif posted:

But why do they need the cap space now? Couldn't they use him this year and then cut him next?

I'm not a expert by any means, but I read that it saves them 10 million both this and next year.

It is really baffling because I'm pretty sure they could have salvaged a pick out of someone. I can think of several teams that would have given up 4th or 5th for him

quote:

The Chiefs have been struggling with the salary cap for few years, and they had just $3.5 million available before the move. By releasing Maclin after June 1, they saved about $10 million that they can use to sign their three remaining draft picks and any additional free agents.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

fsif posted:

Well, finally have an item in the "pro" column for Trump's presidency.

https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/871700465528053762

This deserved more than 6k hits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrOwywfh_3Q

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

fsif posted:

I imagine they're going to push really loving hard to resign Marcus Peters and Dee Ford. If I were them, I'd want to get Peters signed asap because if he has his 3rd straight all-pro season then he's going to demand Prime Revis money which I'm not sure they could afford.

Also, the contracts for late-stage and (hopefully not) late-stage Derrick Johnson caught up to them.

Edit: sry for double post

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Peters is very good and all but shouldn't get Revis money since he's so burnable. Then again, Bouye got Revis money so Peters will probably get ++Revis money

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Whoever Adam Rank is wrote an article on why you should root for the Bucs and tops it off by saying they'll be in the Super Bowl:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000812194/article/why-you-should-root-for-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers

quote:

The Bucs are going to Super Bowl LII
That's right -- the Bucs are my pick to represent the NFC this season in the Super Bowl. I told this to Bucs fan Dick Vitale (more from him below), and he likes where my head is at on this one. So it checks out.

This team is poised for a run. Jameis Winston is on the verge of being one of the best quarterbacks in the game. He's topped 4,000 passing yards in his first two seasons, and that number is only going to go up. Especially when you have Mike Evans, who is ready to assume the mantle of best receiver in the game. Watching Evans play, it almost seems unfair that a guy that big can do the things he's able to do. And then you surrounded him with speedster DeSean Jackson and rookie tight end O.J. Howard.

If you're going to jump on this bandwagon, you'll have to do it immediately; otherwise that ship is going to sail. (drat it -- I really didn't mean to make that pun. But now that I've thought about it, can we just pretend that's what I intended from the very start? I would appreciate that.)

i'm on board

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Intruder posted:

Peters is very good and all but shouldn't get Revis money since he's so burnable. Then again, Bouye got Revis money so Peters will probably get ++Revis money

After that texans game in week 2 he wasn't burned any longer and guys stopped throwing his way.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
"Jameis Winston is on the verge of being one of the best quarterbacks in the game."

:raise:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

weird Asian candy posted:

"Jameis Winston is on the verge of being one of the best quarterbacks in the game."

:raise:

tbf he didn't say what he'd be one of the best at

e: allegedly

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Amy Pole Her posted:

BLACKS ON THE FIELD
BACK WHERE THEY BELONG
TIME TO KEEP GETTIN FAMOUS
FOR THIS lovely OUTDATED SONG
ARE YOU READY
ARE YOU READY
ARE YOU READY READY
ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALLLLL

I really hate that outdated racist dumb piece of poo poo

At least it's not his dad all that """classic country and western""" is just terrible and samey. Get a better mic idiots

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chromatic posted:

I imagine they're going to push really loving hard to resign Marcus Peters and Dee Ford. If I were them, I'd want to get Peters signed asap because if he has his 3rd straight all-pro season then he's going to demand Prime Revis money which I'm not sure they could afford.

Also, the contracts for late-stage and (hopefully not) late-stage Derrick Johnson caught up to them.

Edit: sry for double post

Did the Chiefs fire their cap guru guy or did he get hired by someone else? I know they changed recently at least. Tamba Hali's contract seems like a fireable offense even if he's still maybe ok, a guy with a bum knee before his last contract shouldn't be completely uncuttable.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Who are the Chiefs paying all their money to?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Justin Houston, Eric Berry, Alex Smith, uhhh Travis Kelce?

edit: I looked at the roster and the only other names I see are Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Mitchell Schwartz, and Eric Fisher? Where is all their money? Yeesh.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Amy Pole Her posted:

BLACKS ON THE FIELD
BACK WHERE THEY BELONG
TIME TO KEEP GETTIN FAMOUS
FOR THIS lovely OUTDATED SONG
ARE YOU READY
ARE YOU READY
ARE YOU READY READY
ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALLLLL

I really hate that outdated racist dumb piece of poo poo

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

$50m in space this year to Houston, Alex Smith and Eric Fisher.

Then $8.5m on Tamba Hali
$8m Bennie Logan
$7m Mitchell Schwartz
$6m Allen Bailey
$5.5m each Ron Parker, Travis Kelce
$5m Eric Berry, Dustin Colquitt

So $100m on their top 11 guys.

This is a pretty normal breakdown, but some of those guys likely don't deserve those cap hits.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--I love Colquitt but that is some ridiculous money to spend on a punter

Justin Houston and Alex Smith are the biggest cap hits this year followed by Eric Fisher, in the future Eric Berry is going to hurt. Alex's cap hit is huge in 2018, which makes me think Mahomes won't get his two years to sit like I wanted him to originally.

There's a bunch of mid-range guys like Allen Bailey and Ron Parker who are eating up cap too, along with the aforementioned Hali.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In comparison, here's the top 11 guys on the Broncos:

$20m Von Miller
$12m Demaryius Thomas
$12m Aqib Talib
$10m Chris Harris
$9.5m Emmanuel Sanders
$8.5m Ronald Leary
$8m Derek Wolfe
$7m Darian Stewart
$6m TJ Ward
$5m Donald Stephenson
$4.5m Brandon Marshall (lb)

So pretty much identical money as the Chiefs, but aside from missing a QB, you'd probably rather have this group of 11 yeah?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Like in some interviews with HW jr you can tell without cameras on he would've said N****** two or three times

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Amy Pole Her posted:

Like in some interviews with HW jr you can tell without cameras on he would've said N****** two or three times

Either without cameras, or with a couple more drinks.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Amy Pole Her posted:

so he's better than Bill Maher

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Not exactly a real high bar there.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/DavidDTSS/status/871740726308110337

:thunk:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kalli posted:

In comparison, here's the top 11 guys on the Broncos:

$20m Von Miller
$12m Demaryius Thomas
$12m Aqib Talib
$10m Chris Harris
$9.5m Emmanuel Sanders
$8.5m Ronald Leary
$8m Derek Wolfe
$7m Darian Stewart
$6m TJ Ward
$5m Donald Stephenson
$4.5m Brandon Marshall (lb)

So pretty much identical money as the Chiefs, but aside from missing a QB, you'd probably rather have this group of 11 yeah?

With all Denver’s wheeling and dealing and making cap space available they have roughly 100k in dead cap money and the Chiefs have over 9 million. And that’s why they fired "best frat name ever" trip macpaddlecrackin

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Seahawks signed Austin Davis as the backup QB instead of Kaepernick.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/871788572801724416

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tried to pick up kelvin's lunch plate.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

49ers just signed Doom.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/871792875209711616

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How did no one quote this? Look at Rob trying to choke out a dude :lol:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Hank III for new MNF theme.

https://youtu.be/pmAB2ZF7b7M

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 5, 2017

Nov 6, 2002

Rex has really let himself go.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

SKULL.GIF posted:

How did no one quote this? Look at Rob trying to choke out a dude :lol:

I would consider it a good life if I could watch a video of Rex and Rob getting knocked out in a bar fight over something dumb.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I love that he is wearing a Bryce Harper jersey :allears:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Rex has really let himself go.

Didn't he undo his gastric bypass so he could get fat again and Rob wouldn't have to feel bad about being fat?

Nov 6, 2002

I think you're right.

I would love to know what they were fighting about. They've both been fired so many times they must be the target of jokes whenever they go out in public.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

isnt hank williams jr the one that said obama was hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Ostentatious posted:

isnt hank williams jr the one that said obama was hitler

Yes Sr has been dead for around 60 years.

• Locked thread