Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ostentatious posted:

isnt hank williams jr the one that said obama was hitler

Something like that.

Still probably better than Ted Nugent doing the MNF intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That can hardly be blamed on the rowdy friends though, and they were given the boot as well

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Cutting Smith and Hali frees up $24M if done in 2018.

So please enjoy the last year of having them on the Chiefs because that's gonna be that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

No Butt Stuff posted:

Cutting Smith and Hali frees up $24M if done in 2018.

So please enjoy the last year of having them on the Chiefs because that's gonna be that.
Partly explains them going all Hail Satan for Mahomes.

Betchya Alex Smith ends up on the Jaguars when he is cut by the Chiefs.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Partly explains them going all Hail Satan for Mahomes.

Betchya Alex Smith ends up on the Jaguars when he is cut by the Chiefs.

Or he'll come back to the bay and retire a 49er, after they miss out on all the good QBs in next year's draft. Probably would do well with Shanahan.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Alex Smith is only 33. How is that possible.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Alex Smith is only 33. How is that possible.

Well one day 33 years and 9 months ago...a mommy and a daddy loved each other very much....

Nov 6, 2002

What would the market look like for Alex Smith next year?

Texans, Cardinals, Bills?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
lmao if the texans end up with smith after telling cutler to gently caress off

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Texans just drafted Watson and I'd rather have him.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Alex Smith does not exactly scream "Carson Palmer successor" to me.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chiefs signed Tevin Jones?

edit: I know nothing about this guy.

https://twitter.com/ChiefsSpyder/status/871822282460725248

kiimo fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 5, 2017

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

No Butt Stuff posted:

Alex Smith does not exactly scream "Carson Palmer successor" to me.

i thought i read somewhere we signed gabbert as a backup :smith:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

It's a good question. Maybe Broncos if Lynch doesn't work out?

I don't think teams want to bother with veteran quarterbacks in the top 20ish range anymore unless the rest of the team is Super Bowl caliber. Teams like the Browns, 49ers, Texans, and the Jets all opted to go with obviously inferior quarterbacks or rookies over a Cutler or a Kaepernick.

(Obviously Kap and Cutler have their own set of baggage, but teams would over look them if veteran QBs in this range were considered more valuable.)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There's a line of thinking that letting Maclin go frees up money to restructure Alex Smith's contract and keep him in 2018 and make 2PM sit for two years.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

How good of a QB would Mahomes have to end up being to justify the draft capital and two years of a favorable rookie contract given up? Has to be at least a top ten, I'd think.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If you end up with an above average franchise starter then it does not matter how you got there or what you gave up to get it.

So I'll say... Ryan Tannehill good?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Mahomes has to start in 2018, 2 years of red shirting my rear end

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Kalli posted:

If you end up with an above average franchise starter then it does not matter how you got there or what you gave up to get it.

So I'll say... Ryan Tannehill good?

Alex Smith good?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

There's a line of thinking that letting Maclin go frees up money to restructure Alex Smith's contract and keep him in 2018 and make 2PM sit for two years.

The usual way you restructure a guy is to give him more years, so I'm not sure how that would work. I guess they could give him a bunch guaranteed in a one year deal, but yeah I think Alex is just gone, barring a deep playoff run this year where he looks good.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hey I never said it was my thinking. They had Mahomes doing foot drills again and again and apparently no coach in his life has ever made him do that. So they are indeed rebuilding from the ground up. I have no idea how long that takes.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

wandler20 posted:

Alex Smith good?

Yeah, I mean if he's good enough that Andy Reid is riding him to the playoffs every year and not causing you to bomb out of them, then of course you're happy if he sits for two years or whatever.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A fact nobody seems to realize nationally is that Alex Smith has been good in the playoffs.

It's just...dude threw 15 touchdowns last year and that's just awful. Gifs of him completely ignoring a wide loving open Tyreek Hill don't help things.

The moment Mahomes chucks it to Hill in a preseason game for a 60 yard TD you're going to have a full blown controversy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

A fact nobody seems to realize nationally is that Alex Smith has been good in the playoffs.

This was more true before the last couple of years, he was just adequate recently.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well he outplayed Ben in our playoff loss anyway

Nov 6, 2002

My memories of Smith in the playoffs:

Lead the 49ers to an incredible comeback win against the Saints.

Played incredibly well against the Colts, but his defense completely imploded in the second half against Luck.

That time all his running backs kept dying.

That time Andy Reid ran like a six minute drill while down two scores to close out a game.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Alex is still probably going to command top 50% QB money, probably ~$18m per, and the Texans aren't going to pay that after trading two firsts to get Watson

They still insist they're rolling with Watson at third string which is dumb as hell because he gets no reps and develops slower that way

e: Also any FA contract Alex signs would presumably be long enough to eat up nearly the entirety of Watson's cost controlled years even if they cut him early

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 5, 2017

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Low Desert Punk posted:

I love Kaep because I love anything that makes racist Americans furious. It's just bizarre if teams won't take him because of negative press, when teams draft and sign wifebeaters and rapists like it's nothing

It's almost as if it is not even a thing and teams don't want him because he is in fact a bad qb demanding starter money just to ride the bench.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Asproigerosis posted:

It's almost as if it is not even a thing and teams don't want him because he is in fact a bad qb demanding starter money just to ride the bench.

Has there been any reports saying Kaep wants starter money or are you just making poo poo up?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Peachfart posted:

Has there been any reports saying Kaep wants starter money or are you just making poo poo up?

It's a lie, and has been denied repeatedly by several people, including Kap.

I gotta say, though, the Seahawks' reason for not signing him has so far been the "best." The Giants' reason was pretty good, but not quite to the level of Seattle's sophistry.

Edit: Did it get linked here? In case you didn't see it:

https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/871780392700968964

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 5, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Chiefs save over 4 million in cap space if they cut their punter. That guy is Dustin Colquitt who is a fantastic punter. He's only completing with this kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWuEBIE3yFM

who needs a punter and has 4 million cuz he's gonna be available soon

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
If Bort turns out to be unsalvageable (I'm hopeful he will be) I see the Jags going for a QB in the draft, not Alex Smith in FA.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

pubic works project posted:

Well one day 33 years and 9 months ago...a mommy and a daddy loved each other very much....

I guess someone looked it up on Wikipedia after all.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

kiimo posted:

The Chiefs save over 4 million in cap space if they cut their punter. That guy is Dustin Colquitt who is a fantastic punter. He's only completing with this kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWuEBIE3yFM

who needs a punter and has 4 million cuz he's gonna be available soon

Colts do need a replacement for best punter ever Pat McAfee

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Next year will have the best FA QB crop in the history of football. It will be very interesting to see how it works out.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Coldforge posted:

It's a lie, and has been denied repeatedly by several people, including Kap.

I gotta say, though, the Seahawks' reason for not signing him has so far been the "best." The Giants' reason was pretty good, but not quite to the level of Seattle's sophistry.

Edit: Did it get linked here? In case you didn't see it:

https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/871780392700968964

That's such stupid reasoning if you see him as a starting quality qb and he's willing to hold a clipboard why wouldn't you take that?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This is the kinda thing that 5-10 years from now is going to blow up and become a big loving embarrassing thing with e-mail dumps and lawsuits and poo poo and it's going to be glorious.

Maybe even sooner than that.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I love the random people stepping in to completely deny that Kap is being blackballed because "he wants starter money". In a world where Mike Glennon essentially got a $16m/1-year contract, this doesn't even approach being rational.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

MrLogan posted:

Next year will have the best FA QB crop in the history of football. It will be very interesting to see how it works out.

that was this year but it ended with Mike loving Glennon getting $16m for his first year, both romo and cutty retiring for TV, and nobody wanting to take a flier on Kaep because he's radioactive

there are maybe, maybe two worthwhile QBs to hit FA every decade and that's peyton and I can't think of who else in the last decade

Ice Fist posted:

This is the kinda thing that 5-10 years from now is going to blow up and become a big loving embarrassing thing with e-mail dumps and lawsuits and poo poo and it's going to be glorious.

Maybe even sooner than that.

the NFL convincing the Rams to take Sam just because he was gay and not because he was a good football man was funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

MrSargent posted:

I love the random people stepping in to completely deny that Kap is being blackballed because "he wants starter money". In a world where Mike Glennon essentially got a $16m/1-year contract, this doesn't even approach being rational.

I think that just speaks more about how stupid the Bears' FO is then anything to do with Kaep's situation.

• Locked thread