Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Maclin was bad last year but with a nagging injury that's he's supposed to be over. I guess it opens up cap space but I don't like it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tarbrush posted:

Y'all want a lightly used Leonte Caroo? Will only take the 3rd, 4th and 6th we paid for him...

Try all you want to, you won't make me feel good about Albert Wilson as the third receiver.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Metapod posted:

he's a chiefs fan he thinks that is a wr i forgive him

Where we're going we don't need wide receivers.

Until 2018 or 19, then they might possibly be useful again.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Holy poo poo, someone brought up Kevin Brown in the MLB thread and we were chatting about him a little. He was a hall of pretty good pitcher, first guy to sign 100 million dollar contract in baseball. Anyway he was traded to the Yankees at the end of 2003 for a couple of guys you don't care about and Brandon Weeden.

I'm sure this must have come up around the time he was drafted in stories but I swear I never heard that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eli Wiggum posted:

I hope the Broncos sign Maclin just to troll the Chiefs even more

Chiefs fans liked Maclin but it wouldn't be anything like the Charles signing if he has anything left.

Now for trolling me personally this would be an amazing move, I'm still pissed you drafted Shane Ray.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diqnol posted:

Tyreek Hill was the best WR the Chiefs had last year anyway tbh

Most explosive for sure. Either way a hobbled Maclin playing on a bad groin for 12 games but probably should have only played 9 or 10 was the second best is the problem.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chromatic posted:

I imagine they're going to push really loving hard to resign Marcus Peters and Dee Ford. If I were them, I'd want to get Peters signed asap because if he has his 3rd straight all-pro season then he's going to demand Prime Revis money which I'm not sure they could afford.

Also, the contracts for late-stage and (hopefully not) late-stage Derrick Johnson caught up to them.

Edit: sry for double post

Did the Chiefs fire their cap guru guy or did he get hired by someone else? I know they changed recently at least. Tamba Hali's contract seems like a fireable offense even if he's still maybe ok, a guy with a bum knee before his last contract shouldn't be completely uncuttable.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--I love Colquitt but that is some ridiculous money to spend on a punter

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Who are the Chiefs paying all their money to?

Justin Houston and Alex Smith are the biggest cap hits this year followed by Eric Fisher, in the future Eric Berry is going to hurt. Alex's cap hit is huge in 2018, which makes me think Mahomes won't get his two years to sit like I wanted him to originally.

There's a bunch of mid-range guys like Allen Bailey and Ron Parker who are eating up cap too, along with the aforementioned Hali.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ostentatious posted:

isnt hank williams jr the one that said obama was hitler

Something like that.

Still probably better than Ted Nugent doing the MNF intro.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

There's a line of thinking that letting Maclin go frees up money to restructure Alex Smith's contract and keep him in 2018 and make 2PM sit for two years.

The usual way you restructure a guy is to give him more years, so I'm not sure how that would work. I guess they could give him a bunch guaranteed in a one year deal, but yeah I think Alex is just gone, barring a deep playoff run this year where he looks good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

A fact nobody seems to realize nationally is that Alex Smith has been good in the playoffs.

This was more true before the last couple of years, he was just adequate recently.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DariusLikewise posted:

lmao no Rams on this poo poo list so far, this team is awful

Donald's coming I'm sure. Is there anyone else even in the running?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

The Chiefs paid the guy 12.4 million dollars last year to get 536 yards and 2 touchdowns. C'mon.

If you want to argue it's good for the salary cap then fine. If you want to argue the Chiefs are right now, today, a better team without Maclin you're an idiot.

a neat cape posted:

Keenan Allen destroyed Peters all game last year until Peters probably dug a hole in the turf so Allen would step in it and explode his acl

Like Keenan needs help killing his own knees.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MrLogan posted:

June 1st cuts for cap space have been a thing for a while.

Usually guys like Maclin or Decker are cut early and designated as June cuts though so they can get into free agency before everyone who's spending spends their money. Each team gets to do that with a couple of guys every year, those guys plus David Harris are bigger names than you'd expect to see cut in June in most years I'd think.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Unless I'm missing :thejoke: he's Samoan and German. Although I don't trust any Samoan football players who are aren't 300 lbs or any Germans who don't drink beer.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 7, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Which is hilarious because of how often Alex Smith seemed to be running for his life (out of a clean pocket).

e: I have no reason to believe Mahomes won't do this too, just that he'll throw farther down the field after scampering away from nothing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chinatown posted:

Kaep Dead, So What

I missed Benoit's second tweet of better backups, which has Derek Anderson, Foles, Mallett, Barkley, Landry Jones, Matt Cassel...

Derek loving Anderson? 2017 Matt Cassel? Landry Jones in any world?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

I want that KC homer to do videos on every team

You'd think they were all Super Bowl caliber

This is what NFL Films used to do before they got their funding cut :(

Like they'd put up a season recap of a team that went 3-13 and make you think they were about to dominate the entire league. They did have John Facenda narrating though, which helped.

e: poo poo Facenda died in the 80's, I thought he was around a lot longer than that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Until he quit, like noted loser Calvin Johnson

Do you know what position Calvin Johnson played?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

So did Tomlinson

Curtis Martin had 10 in a row if somehow no one has mentioned him yet.

Jesus that hall of fame speech :stare:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MrSargent posted:

Both Smith and Sanders were absolute locks for the Hall of Fame and are in the conversation of top RB's of all time. From past conversations on these forums, the general feeling is that Gore is nowhere near a lock for the HoF like those guys were, despite having a body of work that is comparable (not equal but certainly comparable).

Gore will probably pass Dickerson this year and has a really good shot at Tomlinson and Bettis if he stays healthy (which is always a big if with a 34 year old running back). That would get him into the top 5 all time for rushing. The only other guy not in the hall in the top 15 is Edgerrin James at 12, with a probable lock at 16 with AdP.

The argument against him is there was always someone else you could call the best running back in the league in any particular year, but it's hard for me to imagine a world where he doesn't make it eventually. Peterson is the only active player with any chance at all of catching him for career numbers in the near future too.

e: I guess I could see a world where McCoy catches up, but that'd be pretty incredible. The others closeish are Forte and CJ2K, Johnson is done and Forte would need to find the fountain of youth to make up a ~3600 yard difference.

My bad, reading is hard.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 9, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jamaal Lewis went for 2000 that year, Priest Holmes broke the then TD record with 27 TDs. Clinton Portis was the backup who had a good year but I can't find a single thing he did better than Tomlinson.

There were a lot of good AFC running back years in 2003, but yeah LdT not being in there somewhere is a pretty ridiculous snub. SA2K hates Priest for this year but I think his real problem should be with Portis.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
He's got a couple other doubles in there. Noticed From BlackLivesMatter to Black Liberation and What's My Name, Fool?

I remember kinda wanting to read What's My Name, Fool? back when it came out.

e: Long Shot and Freedom is a constant struggle too. He's either giving a lot of books away or wants a separate bathroom library.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 11, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diqnol posted:

Andy Reid

Andy lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago.

I mean it's relative and he's still huge, but he did lose weight.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

He's played a full season twice in his career.

Technically 3 times but the 2 where he started every game were the last 2 years? It's not the worst contract I've ever seen.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

Someone that can't stay in shape will not be in the league, plain and simple. There isn't a single player that stopped getting fat that I can think of. Lendale White, Jamarcus, now Benjamin, all ate/are eating themselves out of the league.

Dwayne Bowe, kind of. He got busted for a diuretic or whatever that's usually used to mask steroids but he was just trying to cut weight in the first Todd Haley year.

You can easily argue that this was an instance of a coach being a jackass about weight instead of a fitness thing though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I really thought Greg Robinson was going to be awesome.

Did he just never develop or is there some huge hole in his game that we all missed back when he was drafted?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

They went 5-11 last year and are starting McCown or Hackenberg while also fielding what was one of the worst defenses in football last year with Harris.

By rights that defense should be ok or at the very least below average instead of what they were. I don't think I've ever seen a team quit as badly as the Jets did last year and I cannot believe Todd Bowles wasn't fired for it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Roethlisberger was ok in 2005, they just didn't ask him to do a lot. Now in 2006 he was flat out bad.

He wasn't very good in 2008 either, which is funny because that team was certainly pretty damned good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Looks like this tweet got deleted. What was it?

Still up for me, but just in case:

@Kaepernick7

A system that perpetually condones the killing of people, without consequence, doesn't need to be revised, it needs to be dismantled!

With a picture of a runaway slave patrol badge next to a police officer's badge.

brandon zimmerman @BZ2448

@Kaepernick7 funny you aint care about this poo poo when you were in the NFL spot light smh as soon as ya career went downhill you turned activist #fraud

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Timby posted:

The Bears still haven't signed Trubisky. :lol:

Is he not working out? I mean the Chiefs haven't signed Mahomes either but I'm not worried about it since he's doing all the offseason stuff.

I guess to be fair I'm not worried since there's about 0 chance he wins the starting job unless Alex Smith's leg falls off.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

Did you even read what Baldwin said?

I hope we're not talking Doug Baldwin? The only relevant thing I can see that he said is he doesn't believe Kaep is blacklisted and does believe he's an NFL starter, which seems to be obviously false one way or the other given...say...the Jets. Or Bears. Or Texans.

Why in the world are you appealing to the authority of a middling receiver who doesn't seem particularly plugged in to what's going on anyway?

Behold the brilliance of Doug Baldwin and then look at who teams have historically signed to play quarterback when they didn't have one:

quote:

Right now you have a lot of young guys who are looking for opportunities. The organizations, they're going to be giving the younger quarterbacks and younger guys the first or second look.

e: If your point is solely about the Seahawks not signing him then whatever, but the Seahawks being the only team he's even met with is shady as hell.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 19, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Febreeze posted:

Here's a list of teams that Kaepernick would be an easy upgrade at backup QB

Chiefs

I'm not sure even Parm would be this cruel.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

This isn't evidence, this is Chris Simms writing a blurb about what some formula that is somehow less publicly defined than ESPN's QBR kicked back.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ice Fist posted:

:stare: Those loving sack numbers

I was about to say 20 sacks a season is pretty good, then I saw that those were averages.

Carr's contract apparently has 40 million fully guaranteed and 70 guaranteed for injury.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Tannehill was sacked 50+ times his first three years

Sack chat made me look up the king. David Carr took 76 sacks his first season, 49 his third, and 68 his fourth.

The weird thing is he only took 15 in his second year. Sure he got hurt and only started 11 games and played in 12, looking it up you can call it about 9 full games starting. But that's by far on pace for the lowest times sacked season he ever played in Houston, and it's the only year he ever missed a start.

Football is a weird thing sometimes.

e: QB Eagles deserves mention too. 72, 54, 57, 45, 49, 2 (got hurt in the first game of the season), 60, 7 (hurt again), 43 from 1986 to '94.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 22, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Weird. He has the team in a little bit of cap hell but from all other indications he's done a hell of a job.

gently caress the Colts for (rightfully) firing Ryan Grigson and poaching Chris Ballard.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't know whether to be happy or sad that Frank Zombo no longer has a guaranteed roster spot.

The obvious speculation is that the way Dorsey handled the Maclin thing pissed Reid off a lot I guess?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
If that's the case you fire him before the Colts hire Ballard, unless he just thinks Dorsey's stink is on Ballard too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

making rookies earn their helmet decals is a top ten coaching idea

Remind me of some of the poo poo Dan Campbell did for that one month everyone was in love with him.

• Locked thread