Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Chromatic posted:

I hear the Chiefs now have only 7 million dollars invested in 11 wide receivers. That's astounding.

That has to be even worse than what Seattle is paying for their o-line

It might be, since Seattle spent $8 mil on Luke Joeckel lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Chris Johnson was cool

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Spoeank posted:

man gently caress off with that howard zinn poo poo

I've you've read exactly one history book after school I can guarantee it's Howard loving Zinn

It's a good book Brent

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Sataere posted:

I don't think teams will ever believe that in football. Most draft boards are tiered anyway. It's not like there is normally that big a difference between top picks. You usually see that players have a round-based grade.

Also, the importance of game day reps in player development is huge. You need your young talent to get meaningful reps if you want to be competitive. Even if the current year is a loss.

I agree most draft boards are tiers rather than explicit ordinal rankings. But still, tanking increases your chances of getting higher draft capital. How the team chooses to use that is besides the point.

If I was a GM I'd let the owner know it's going to be a rough start. First year on the job I'd trade everybody over 25 years old for as many picks as I could. Then I'd trade as many of the first year draft picks as I could for future picks. Grab a bunch of high-ceiling late round picks and UDFAs. Then promptly finish bottom 3 in the league.

To start year 2 you'd have a bunch of draft capital, huge cap space, and hopefully a few promising young players.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Like 2 months ago this same writer did a Ringer column on how there's no way to actually tank in the NFL.

That's dumb, hypocritical, and obviously not true? I dislike this author.

e: Unless he means like, no Owner/President of Operations would allow that to happen?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Sataere posted:

The problem with that is when the new GM they bring in two years later gets to capitalize on your plan. :v:

You can do most of that without tanking. I get the seeming value in tearing it down, but trading established pieces for hope in football is a dangerous and unnecessary game.

You can churn your roster for depth and just acquire draft picks without tanking, all the while trying to maximize the talent you have.

Agreed, the bolded is exactly the problem. The first year of the Pete C and John S FO for Seattle, they had an extra first round pick because of a trade the previous GM made. That pick turned into Earl Thomas.

If you gave one of the smart goons 5-years guaranteed as GM with total contract and personnel control, they would perform well above the mean GM. Simple things like "don't give old rb's huge contracts" and "trade down to diversify risk" are concepts too convoluted for existing gms.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

FizFashizzle posted:

Although I absolutely believe no one in Seattle wants anything resembling a starting qb behind Wilson seeing as how much the rest of the team hates him.

That original article was garbage. The team likes Wilson. Sherman rebutted that article multiple times. Bennett has mentioned how much he likes Wilson, here being the most recent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzjMj1ozSIA&t=350s

e: Have another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z45BIkxZrmk&t=255s

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Michael Bennett talking about Aaron Donald on the Top 100 is my favorite thing this offseason

Link? google wasn't popping anything up immediately

• Locked thread