Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That poor db

https://twitter.com/FballPosts/status/874478412580114432

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Robert Klemko over on SI censused the Broncos and there's some pretty interesting culture stuff here. https://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/15/nfl-team-survey-player-upbringings-race-class-2016-election.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Football outsiders released their defeat numbers for last year: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/2016-defeats

A defeat is:

A tackle that results in a loss of yardage, including sacks.
Any play that results in a turnover, including tipped passes which are then intercepted.
Any tackle or tipped pass that leads to a stop on third or fourth down.

And no surprise, overall Khalil Mack and Von Miller were the best players last year.... except that there were two Bills in the top 5 because their run defense was feast or famine. Their run D was like Barry Sanders. If they didn't get a stop behind the line, they averaged giving up 5.6 yards per carry.

The giants also had the top CB and top safety while Aaron Donald and Suh topped the list for non-edge rushing linemen.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

On Setting the edge they put up a piece on how often sacks killed drives last year. http://settingedge.com/sackskilldrives

84% of the time a sack kills a drive.

34% of the time a team recovers from a 1st down sack
19.5% on 2nd down
3.5% on 3rd.

and also a breakdown on how the sack distance affects that. Turns out a short sack on first down isn't that big of a deal.

Also, over the last decade, how often your team wins or loses by double digits:

They also are going through and doing decent writeup previews for each team. The Norths and Easts are done and the Jaguars just went up:

http://settingedge.com/category/blog

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

whypick1 posted:

Hmm, kinda thought the Colts would be higher up on that chart. Guessing their D didn't really allow them much separation.

Yeah, I just took a look by year:

wins / losses

'07 - 8 / 0
'08 - 4 / 3
'09 - 9 / 3
'10 - 5 / 2
'11 - 1 / 9
'12 - 2 / 5
'13 - 6 / 5
'14 - 9 / 4
'15 - 1 / 4
'16 - 3 / 4

So really good until Peyton got hurt,that one Luck year where everything was clicking, and pretty bad otherwise.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I wonder how much Floyd's SB ring will go for at auction in a few years.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Obviously he just got back from a Kombucha chugging competition on a radio spot to try and win a Nintendo Switch.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tanking as a boogeyman seems silly in the NFL.

In the 2000's, you've got an argument for: Luck, Cam, Stafford, Eli, Palmer and Vick being worth a tank job so far (and let's add Winston, because why not?), and none of those teams won a Superbowl and only the Panthers have been to one.

Teams that just built their team through a couple of good drafts and midrounded or scrapheaped a QB recently seem to be as successful (Seahawks, Raiders, Bengals, Cardinals, Bills, Washington, (and Dak if you want to be cute)).

What they're calling tanking just seems to be shedding the problem contracts of bad GM work. Who were the Browns supposed to keep last year to make them not one of the worst 5 teams in football? Would the Jets with Marshall and Decker and David Harris not be in the mix for the #1 pick?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They went 5-11 last year and are starting McCown or Hackenberg while also fielding what was one of the worst defenses in football last year with Harris.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

By rights that defense should be ok or at the very least below average instead of what they were. I don't think I've ever seen a team quit as badly as the Jets did last year and I cannot believe Todd Bowles wasn't fired for it.

That's what I don't get. They're burning the roster to the ground now, starting in year 3 of Todd Bowles. So next year they draft the QB and the rest of the roster still sucks and then... draft great again and are approaching good in year 5? That's best case scenario and when's the last time a coach got to 5 years after 3 as bad as they're in the middle of now happening?

If they fire Bowles next year, are they just making him coach this year because they couldn't even start the rebuild yet and he's a dead man walking?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

But like, the efficacy of tanking is kind of incidental to the argument. As long as more teams start to think that tanking is better than finishing 6–10, it's at least somewhat plausible that we could have four or five teams stripping their rosters of assets each offseason and end up with less competitive games.

It could create a situation where wildcard berths are even more disproportionately determined by season schedules.

Yeah, I just don't think there's an argument that the draft pick difference matters at all unless there's an Andrew Luck coming

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kaepernick sucked so bad he threw 16 TD's to 4 ints last year on an offense where the best receiver was Jeremy Kerley

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NFL top 100.

Just a mini-update

16. Drew Brees
14. Dak Prescott.

:nyoron:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Here's the rest of 11-20:

20) Luke Kuechly
19) Patrick Peterson
18) Tyron Smith
17) A.J. Green
16) Drew Brees
15) Aaron Donald
14) Dak Prescott
13) Eric Berry
12) David Johnson
11) Derek Carr

Every video is here as well: http://www.nfl.com/network/top100

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I was looking at this yesterday after getting into a discussion with someone over draft vs free agency/trading for players because they argued the unknown vs the known, and I think that veterans bust differently then draft picks, but probably do so at a similar rate.

So I looked at the top 25 guys on this list of free agents from 2014: (before franchise / transition tags and whatnot): http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000329702/article/top-101-nfl-free-agents-for-2014

1 - Jairus Byrd - Injured immediately, never recovered, out of football.
2- Eugene Monroe - Bust, Retired
3 - Michael Johnson - Cut after 1 year in Tampa, went back to the Bengals as an okay player.
4 - Alex Mack - Still rocking
5 - Lamarr Houston - Went to the Bears in '15, bad injuries the last two seasons, probably done as an impact player.
6 - Jared Veldheer - Good player, missed half of last year with injuries.
7 - Branden Albert - Declining but fine
8 - Alterraun Verner - Currently out of football
9 - Michael Bennett - Still rocking
10 - Aqib Talib - Still rocking
11 - TJ Ward - Still rocking
12 - Brent Grimes - Declining but fine.
13 - Vontae Davis- Still good
14 - Eric Decker - Spent most of last season injured, should be good if healthy
15 - Jason Worilds - Quit after '14.
16 - Jason Hatcher - Retired last year
17 - Henry Melton - Cut last year
18 - BJ Raji - Quit last year
19 - Everson Griffen - Still rocking
20 - Sam Shields - Retired from concussions
21 - LaMarr Woodley - Got injured and out of football in '15
22 - Randy Starks - Cut last year
23 - Hakeem Nicks - Cut last year
24 - Jermichael Finley - Retired in '15
25 - Linval Joseph - Still rocking

So in conclusion free agency is a land of contrasts....

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm pretty sure he was respectable on the Ravens. He was never spectacular but he definitely was not a liability on the Ravens.

I think he was effective when he played, but he ended up costing the Ravens 2 mid round picks, a $40m extension, and only played half the games over 2 seasons with the ravens due to... good god: knee, ankle, shoulder injuries and a concussion.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

drat, that's one hell of a story.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

WHOOPS posted:

Looking at that 2014 first round, I don't think the Browns could have selected any players worse than Justin Gilbert or Johnny Manziel.

Yeah, I think they easily made the worst two picks, and let TJ Ward walk and screwed around with Alex Mack, causing him to walk as well the next year.

So really the Browns had 4 major assets that offseason and zeroed all of them.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cian Fahey is interesting because he does a ton of film analysis and basically ignores stats in favor of it, and is also a gigantic hot take machine who loves to whine on twitter.

So he has some good analysis, but he'll also like, make 4 gifs of Sam Bradford passes and then yell at people about how he's better then Andrew Luck about it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Huh, I guess the linebacker depth is a bit of an issue...

Patriots signed (LB) David Harris to a 2 year deal. Jets cut him last week.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shangri-Law School posted:

Every quarterback is bad under pressure, except stupid Rodgers.

Even then, Rodgers is somewhere between Tyrod Taylor and Eli Manning under pressure by DVOA.

If a QB's actually being pressured by a rusher, he's either getting sacked, throwing it away, running for his life or tossing up a prayer. Everyone sucks at it, sucking less bad is nice, but I think run like hell or drop to the ground just makes sense.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So I've been reading Howard Mudd's book, The View From the O-Line which is just a million anecdotes from a ton of different players, and this one was pretty great:

Ed White posted:

Joe Greene and I had been defensive tackles in the college all-star games. We played in one in San Francisco and one in Hawaii, so I got to know him pretty well.

We were playing the Steelers in my first game, and Joe had been their number one draft choice. We had a guard from USC named Jim Vellone. He was quite spicy. Apparently Jim called Joe a name he didn't like.

On the next series, Joe came back into the game with a screwdriver he'd gotten from the sideline. Unfortunately, they'd pulled Vellone out and put me in.

So there's Joe standing there seething, his eyes widened as open as he could get them, expecting Vellone to come back at left guard.

He had this screwdriver in his hand and I thought whoa. I'm yelling at him, "Hey Joe, It's me Ed!"
I don't remember exactly what happened next, but he went off the field. So I avoided having to block an angry defensive tackle holding a screwdriver.

Most everything else is a lot saner then that, but if you want some stuff I can post a few as I get to them. There's stuff from at least a hundred guys in here, though the most/best is from like Joe Thomas, Mike Munchak, Kyle Long, Joe Staley and like anyone associated with the Colts during the Dungy years.

Also I recommend it if you want a super light read. Perfect shitter book.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'd live like a 20% classier Frank Reynolds if I was rich.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Definitely some classy bangmaids and a gold plated whippets cannister for sure.

Oh, this isn't the chat thread.

Well okay, I don't have the book in front of me right now, but from Howard Mudd's book, he talked about how much of a weiner Tony Dungy was, and how he'd gather all the coaches together and ask them not to swear too much in front of the players.

Then Howard Mudd would go out and call the players nancy boy motherfucking bitches for two hours, then Dungy would gather the players and say, hey you've got to try a little harder and make less mental mistakes, and then Howard won't have to swear so much.

Then Mudd talked about how another head coach just told him, hey, try not to call the players Cocksuckers today.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 23, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mega64 posted:

You can't spell Tannehill without "lit hen"

You can't spell Ryan Tannehill without Thinner Anally

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

10. Matt Ryan
9. Le'Veon Bell
8. Odell Beckham Jr.
7. Ezekiel Elliott
6. Aaron Rodgers
5. Khalil Mack
4. Antonio Brown
3. Julio Jones
2. Von Miller
1. Tommy

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Pops Mgee posted:

Where do I go to complain about Rodgers being to low on this big dumb list that I don't even care about?

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=news&q=aaron%20rodgers&src=typd

It's pretty funny at the moment.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

The low-key best data point is that the Rams' injured players were so bad that the abbreviation couldn't even fit within the confines of the circle.

Their injury list:

Missed entire season: Zach Laskey, Marquez North, Brian Randolph, Garrett Reynolds, Louis Trinca-Pasat, Darrell Williams.

Week 2: Nelson Spruce

Late in Season: Robert Quinn, Benny Cunningham, Josh Forrest, Cory Harkey, Marqui Christian.

Quinn is obviously the entire circle and I've heard of Benny Cunningham, but man, I have no idea who anyone else there is.

In comparison, here's the list of chargers who missed at least 12 games last year:

Keenan Allen, Rasheed Bailey, Zamir Carlis, Terrell Chestnut, Donovan Clark, Jeff Cumberland, Matt Daniels, Nick Dzubnar, Javontee Herndon, Stevie Johnson, Tyler Johnstone, Sean Lissermore, Tyler Marcordes, Branden Oliver, Shaq Petteway, Manti Te'o, Chris Watt, Danny Woodhead, Carlos Wray.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 29, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The funniest possibility for this season would be for the Falcons to go to the superbowl again, go up by like 4 scores, then have the other team score like two quick touchdowns and witness the reactions.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Volkerball posted:

You can say that for any player under 24. It was a dumb concept for an article.

It's definitely the Junest of all NFL articles.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Speaking of very Junesy articles, Mike Tanier's been writing up weekly lists of the 25 best teams / coaches / offenses / defenses of the SB era.

I think the first two were posted, but here's the offenses and defenses

Offenses
1. '07 Patriots
2. '81 Chargers
3. '94 49ers
4. '11 Packers
5. '13 Broncos
6. '84 Dolphins
7. '98 Vikings
8. '98 Broncos
9. '11 Saints
10. '51 Rams
11. '01 Rams
12. '04 Colts
13. '03 Chiefs
14. '53 Browns
15. '11 Patriots
16. '96 Packers
17. '83 Washington
18. '91 Bills
19. '76 Raiders
20. '64 Browns
21. '84 49ers
22. '61 Oilers
23. '88 Bengals
24. '16 Falcons
25. '90 Oilers

Defenses
1. '85 Bears
2. '76 Steelers
3. '00 Ravens
4. '69 Chiefs
5. '69 Vikings
6. '86 Giants
7. '91 Eagles
8. '13 Seahawks
9. '62 Lions
10. '02 Buccaneers
11. '62 Packers
12. '73 Dolphins
13. '08 Steelers
14. '06 Ravens
15. '68 Rams
16. '05 Bears
17. '71 Colts
18. '15 Broncos
19. '67 Raiders
20. '84 49ers
21. Literally every team in '77
22. '00 Titans
23. '63 Bears
24. '92 Saints
25. '09 Jets

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The_Hat posted:

Not enough love, haha

oh sheesh, I just got it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

Weird seeing a top 25 Saints defense.

It was before my time, but the Saints had like a decade where they had a great defense and incredibly lovely offsenses and quarterbacks named like Bobby Hebert.

That defense basically came together because Jim Mora was in the USFL and convinced like every good defensive player in the USFL to sign with the saints after the league folded.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

God I can't wait for....

Timmons?
Alonso?

To destroy him.
Well, tackle him.
Get in his way.

poo poo

If he's like Wes Welker, then this year would be his last dominant year, next year he'll be a shell of himself, and then he'll be dead shortly thereafter.

Turning 30 sucks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I can never remember which one, but one of the Billy Joe's went into a game as a replacement, was total dogshit, then admitted in the postgame that he hadn't bothered reading the playbook or practicing.

And that was the end of one of the Billy Joe's.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Its Rinaldo posted:

Super salty about Seahawks placement on that D list

I honestly don't know who you could slot them above. Every one of those teams were just stupid for the era of football they were playing.

The Eagles should probably be tops though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

corn on the cop posted:

the 1991 eagles finished 1st in rush and pass defense despite running out the four-man gauntlet of jim mcmahon, jeff kemp, brad goebel, and pat ryan at quarterback for 15 games

They had a 4 game stretch where they forced 14 fumbles and 7 ints and held two of the teams under 100 passing yards. But they lost all four games because they gave up 12 fumbles and 14 ints while barely hitting 50 passing yards twice.

• Locked thread