Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I love the random people stepping in to completely deny that Kap is being blackballed because "he wants starter money". In a world where Mike Glennon essentially got a $16m/1-year contract, this doesn't even approach being rational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I think that just speaks more about how stupid the Bears' FO is then anything to do with Kaep's situation.

You say this as if the Bears are alone in having a dumb FO.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I don't doubt that there are many teams out there who would never sign him now because the owners or FOs don't want any part of him for protesting. But I just can't believe *ALL* 32 teams are colluding to keep a viable NFL starting QB unemployed.

I mean, why would the Seahawks bring him in for a visit and spend all this time talking about him and supposedly considering him if they were just going to blackball him? Appearances? That would involve some serious fifth dimensional conspiracy planning. Or you'd have to think that someone in the NFL called up Seattle after his visit and told them not to sign him, and I have a hard time believing anyone in Seattle would kowtow like that to the NFL over such a critical position. Maybe I'm being naive.

It doesn't have to be ALL 32 teams colluding to effectively blackball him. Just the teams that are looking for QB's. I don't find it at all hard to believe those owners are afraid to sign Kap when you have the Giant's owner saying the following in an interview:

quote:

However, Kaepernick's decision to kneel during the national anthem in 2016 has made him persona non grata in some organizations. New York Giants owner John Mara told Jenny Vrentas of The MMQB that his team never considered Kaepernick because of potential public backlash.

"All my years being in the league, I never received more emotional mail from people than I did about that issue," Mara said. "If any of your players ever do that, we are never coming to another Giants game. It wasn't one or two letters. It was a lot. It's an emotional, emotional issue for a lot of people, more so than any other issue I've run into."

Granted that is New York, but when an owner is willing to say that in an interview, I don't have any trouble believing that they all think the same way, or are under enough pressure that they fall in line.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

I missed Benoit's second tweet of better backups, which has Derek Anderson, Foles, Mallett, Barkley, Landry Jones, Matt Cassel...

Derek loving Anderson? 2017 Matt Cassel? Landry Jones in any world?

Did you see his loving reasoning? He says while Kaep is a better athlete than almost all of those guys, he isn't a good QB and doesn't fit into a system. I must have missed the part last year where Brock Osweiler fit anything resembling an offense. The dude set RECORDS for how bad he was and this shitbird is seriously saying he is a better QB than Kaep. How do these people get and keep their jobs?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

That table...I don't think it means what they think it means. The only people who have a better Passer Rating have thrown at best 15% of the passes that Kap threw. Even the cherry-picked stat they use is bad.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Out of curiosity, I looked at CJ2K's career stats just to see how he compares to RBs that are potential HoFers. After looking at several players, and this is definitely some of the homer in me, but I can't get over just how incredible of a career Frank Gore has had in the NFL. He has 9 seasons of over 1k rushing yards, and his lowest yardage total was his Rookie year with 608 yards. His latest 1k+ season came last year, his 12TH SEASON in the league. Excluding his rookie year, he has had at least 200 rushing attempts in every year of his career which is a testament to his durability at a brutal position, while maintaining a career YPC of 4.4 over the span of nearly 3000 rushing attempts. Are there any other examples of a running back playing at this high of a level for over a decade?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ehud posted:

Frank Gore is great.

Emmitt Smith was like that for a decade.

Oh and Barry Sanders was greater than both of them for a decade.

Both Smith and Sanders were absolute locks for the Hall of Fame and are in the conversation of top RB's of all time. From past conversations on these forums, the general feeling is that Gore is nowhere near a lock for the HoF like those guys were, despite having a body of work that is comparable (not equal but certainly comparable).

a neat cape posted:

So did Tomlinson

Unfortunately Gore got injured the season after posting his 4th consecutive 1k+ yard season. He only played 11 games, and still hit 850 yards. And then went on to post 4 more consecutive 1k+ yard seasons. This streak ended in his 1st year with the Colts (even though he still rushed for 967 yards) but last year he came back at the age of 33 to post another 1k yard season.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

a neat cape posted:

I'm torn because I love Gore but I really don't want him to pass Tomlinson all time

LDT's 2003 year where he had 100 catches and over 700 receiving yards, while AT THE SAME TIME posting 1645 rushing yards is the most :stare: thing I have seen.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

5 Ring Shrimp is the Pats fan we deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

warcrimes posted:

Niner fans keep on saying he's being blackballed although apparently he's not good enough for his really bad former team

Wait, so him not getting a job from his bad former team is evidence of him NOT being blackballed? What

• Locked thread