Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Holloway is really good....

I would say it seems like Aldo doesnt want it as bad anymore / has been jacking off too much/not enough, but he hung in there taking a beating way longer than most guys wouldve after he got dropped. Holloway also hit him with a lot of deceptive shots that didnt really look like they connected like the one that gave him that lump on his head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
So is Edgar the definite next shot? Has White said anything to that effect? Because if so, I would love to see Aldo/Swanson II get set up

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Troxartas posted:

So is Edgar the definite next shot? Has White said anything to that effect? Because if so, I would love to see Aldo/Swanson II get set up

Swanson's win streak is longer but I don't see what he's done since the last time Holloway and Edgar beat him up to jump one of them.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Troxartas posted:

I don't think there's anything official. A while back frankie was on the serra/Norton ufc podcast and he was rooting for max to win because there's no way they'd give another shot at Jose so quickly. So at least according to frankie, it's a possibility. I'd watch it, heck.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Troxartas posted:

I don't think Dana said anything definitive yet, but Holloway said he'd like to fight Frankie next. Aldo losing definitely benefits Frankie as he was in the spot like Benavidez is in where he lost to the champion twice and he wasn't going to get another crack at it no matter how many times he won. It's also the only fresh match up for Holloway in the top 5 with TKZ dead again.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Edgar next then Cub/Choi 2 and the winner gets a title shot please

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

manyak posted:

I would say it seems like Aldo doesnt want it as bad anymore / has been jacking off too much/not enough, but he hung in there taking a beating way longer than most guys wouldve after he got dropped. Holloway also hit him with a lot of deceptive shots that didnt really look like they connected like the one that gave him that lump on his head

yeah it was weird to me to see people saying holloway was getting beat up badly

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

DeimosRising posted:

Swanson's win streak is longer but I don't see what he's done since the last time Holloway and Edgar beat him up to jump one of them.

Yeah, that's why I wanna see him fight Aldo

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Good news: you can.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Work Friend Keven posted:

Good news: you can.

You know what I mean, this version of Swanson.
I think it makes sense as a good bounce back fight for Aldo too

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gadelha is much more self-aware than most fighters I guess

https://twitter.com/DannStupp/status/871411307316117504

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Claudia is cool.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

EmmyOk posted:

Gadelha is much more self-aware than most fighters I guess

Funny you mention that because she just went full Brazilian

http://www.mmamania.com/2017/6/4/15736776/claudia-gadelha-after-ufc-212-win-im-a-better-mma-fighter-than-joanna

quote:

“And about my two defeats to Joanna, I only believe there is one. There’s two on paper, but if you were to analyze the fight, I did not lose that first fight to her. The second fight I really did lose, but if you were to look technically at it, I have better technique, and better MMA technique. I’m not a better striker, but I’m a better MMA fighter than Joanna. But I trained incorrectly to fight with her.”

“I killed myself,” Gadelha explained. “I trained for 17 weeks in my camp, killing my body. I was destroyed, I couldn’t even stand up. I was killing my body. I’m that kind of Brazilian. I never give up, and I always give my best at all times. And sometimes giving your best is not the right thing. You have to follow the recipe or it’s not going to come out right. That’s exactly what I did in the second fight against Joanna."

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Well, she isn't wrong. I, like many, had her winning the first fight 29-28. The second fight, she won the first two rounds and then gassed hard. In both cases, her cardio betrayed her and ultimately is what led to JJ taking over down the stretch. I love Joanna, but I think that Claudia with 3 rounds of real gas will be more than she can handle, if she doesn't improve her TD defense to the point that she can keep it standing early.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Also, in their second fight, Claudia landed the first hard punch of the fight, and even managed to drop her while gassed. Even in those last two rounds, when Claudia really had as little in the tank as I've seen anyone have, she was still timing Joanna with a couple of good counter shots. Her beating her is not out of the realm of possibility.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/HIGH_TIMES_Mag/status/871499849115377664

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

manyak posted:

I don't know why he didn't kick Max. He threw one kick iirc. Thought that would be Aldo's path to victory, kicking Max's lead foot.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

vaginal facsimile posted:

I don't know why he didn't kick Max. He threw one kick iirc. Thought that would be Aldo's path to victory, kicking Max's lead foot.

I think ur 100% right, but I wanted to suggest that holloway's camp prepared him so well for these kicks that aldo was instantly dissuaded from throwing more than one, since the first and only kick he threw got countered very nicely.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Pedeirnas shared some thoughts on that:

Early Stoppage
"Aldo thought that Big John stopped the fight early, but I don't see it that way. I'm sure that after he watches it again he will agree. I don't see how he would recover in the fourth round, after taking so many punches to the head. Holloway would surely hunt him down after that"

The Fight
"Holloway started to feel more confident by the end of round 2. He was confident but Aldo was very calm. I told him the fight was 2 - 0, that he needed to breathe and I warned him about his left hand being too low. I think Aldo didn't use some of the things we trained, like takedowns. And when you don't use all your weapons, things get complicated. A lot of people asked me where were his kicks, but according to Holloway's positioning on the fight, there was a risk of Aldo falling backwards after kicking."

What's Next
"You gotta lay your head on the pillow and relax, cause you can't take any decisions immediately after such a loss. It's never a good idea. He will play his footvolley and relax. We'll talk later. He will go on vacations and relax. Aldo has a great mind, actually. He lost to McGregor and fought for the title with Frankie right after, he went there and won it. As soon as he gets his mind in the right place, he'll be back to win. Max accomplished quite a feat in this division, he won against a guy who is doing it for a really long time, a UFC champion, and I think he will be fighting Frankie next. If Frankie wins, Aldo's back on the title picture, as he have won two times against him."

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
he did get hit with a 1-2 after the one kick he did throw so maybe he was afraid of htat?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

A marijuana product from the Diaz brothers just won an award

https://twitter.com/HIGH_TIMES_Mag/status/871499849115377664

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
thats nothing ... george foremans grill won him 100 million dollars

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I.N.R.I posted:

thats nothing ... george foremans grill won him 100 million dollars

The American dream. Build a better grease trap

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
you can make your own candles at home that are way better and cheaper with fresh ingredients

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

For all the talk of Aldo's leg kicks every single time he fights, it's a weapon he has abandoned for the most part pretty long ago. He barely ever throws them anymore.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

He didn't throw them against TKZ because one got checked early and broke his foot. He didn't throw them against Frankie or Chad because it would have been a bad idea, he didn't throw them against Conor because the fight lasted thirteen seconds.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

He didn't throw them against TKZ because one got checked early and broke his foot. He didn't throw them against Frankie or Chad because it would have been a bad idea, he didn't throw them against Conor because the fight lasted thirteen seconds.

Frankie was actually catching them and taking him down off them, which is crazy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
here's dj's version of the tj fight.

http://imgur.com/a/7H3vt

gently caress dana white. gently caress sean shelby.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
oh and gently caress dana white

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Marching Powder posted:

gently caress dana white

also: fuuuuuuuuuck

https://twitter.com/dynamic_jonas/status/871636876146421761

Memento fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 5, 2017

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Marching Powder posted:

oh and gently caress dana white

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

I came here to post this, that is loving awful

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i'm glad he caught a break getting a title shot off a year old win (an admittedly very sick win in the midst of other very sick wins) because not much else is going right for him career wise.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
gently caress

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

loving hell. gently caress this.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

That's appalling

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It was always weird to me that the UFC appeared to run directly through Dana White and that there wasn't the guy who'd say "ah yeah that all makes sense, that makes sense. Let me take this back to the boss and see what I can do. Ah they said no."

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Jesus that DJ rant. I'll stop pirating mighty mouse pay per views I guess.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Marching Powder posted:

Here is a better link
http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/5..._source=twitter

DJ has never gotten PPV points, gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Gay Horney posted:

Jesus that DJ rant. I'll stop pirating mighty mouse pay per views I guess.

MMMDMMJ has never gotten ppv points so you might be better off doing the Amazon Prime twitch thing if you want to kick DJ a couple bucks.

• Locked thread