Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah he'll just move up to 135 and wreck everyone there, too.

Oh yeah, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'd almost wanna see a DJ/Cruz rematch first at 135 before anything else.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I mean he's calling their bluff though. Yes, I wanna see him fight TJ, but saying that you'll shut the division down if he doesn't is sooooo dumb. You think the 20 other flyweights are gonna be happy to hear that? Obviously Dana's not too worried about them, but throwing an entire division under the bus as a negotiating tactic is going to make them furious (cue the shitposts about how no one has anything to worry about versus a horde of angry midgets, but whatever).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If the division is a net loss to the UFC, maybe the new owners just don't feel like doing poo poo with them anymore and this is all just a pretense to cut loose a bunch of roster guys.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Good move, now the UFC can really commit to Women's 145.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Good move, now the UFC can really commit to Women's 145.

Lol

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
I find it pretty harrowing that Dana seems to be intentionally loving with DJ..

I mean why ? Why treat an champion and a "Company guy" so lovely? What is the benefit in that?

Eventhough the flyweights have not made McGregor money for the Company it's not like UFC is in the red because of them? They are still making Money and selling ppvs and adtime?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i figured it out, conor mcgregor ruined the ufc

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm starting to think this new ownership might not be going so well.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

TheCool69 posted:

I find it pretty harrowing that Dana seems to be intentionally loving with DJ..

I mean why ? Why treat an champion and a "Company guy" so lovely? What is the benefit in that?

Eventhough the flyweights have not made McGregor money for the Company it's not like UFC is in the red because of them? They are still making Money and selling ppvs and adtime?

WME-IMG inherited like $2bn of debt from the purchase of the UFC, that is a shitload of debt to pay off and maybe they think they can further cut salaries and expenses.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Neoliberalism killed the UFC wow.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

WME-IMG inherited like $2bn of debt from the purchase of the UFC, that is a shitload of debt to pay off and maybe they think they can further cut salaries and expenses.

Burning all of the bridges is usually not a sound business strategy for people in debt.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Burning all of the bridges is usually not a sound business strategy for people in debt.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-is-doomed-quotes-from-ceo-eddie-lampert-2017-6

capitalism.txt

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lol

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
make the fight and then dissolve the flyweight division. Everyone wins.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I think Ufc is in a better position than Sears

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Mighty Mouse, by the numbers:

First up is MM winning the title: UFC 152. 450,000 buyrate. Sounds good, but the card is headlined by Jones v. Belfort. The next three defenses are on UFC on Fox (UFCoF) cards. Defense #1, UFCoF 6 does 4.2 million viewers. Pretty good for a free card. Only beat by UFCoF 1 (Velasquez v. Dos Santos, 5.7 m), UFCoF 2 (Evans v. Davis, 4.7m), and UFCoF 5 (Henderson v. Diaz, 4.4 m). But maybe UFCoF 6 is an anomaly, because every free card title defense since has failed to break 3 million viewers.

Defense #2: UFCoF 8, 2.38m
Defense #3: UFCoF 9, 2.8m
Defense #9: Ultimate Fighter 24 Finale, 1.03m (FS1)
Defense #10: UFCoF 24, 1.99m avg., peaked at 2.87m for the main event.

In between defenses 3 and 9, are MM's PPVs.

Defense #4: UFC 174, 115k buyrate
Defense #5: UFC 178, 205k
Defense #6: UFC 186, 125k
Defense #7: UFC 191, 115k
Defense #8: UFC 197, 322k

197 sticks out, but the nearly tripled buyrate is easily explained by the return of Jon Jones. 178 was actually a pretty sweet card. The four other fights are Cerrone v. Alvarez, McGregor v. Poirier, the delightful Romero v. Kennedy match, and Zingano v. Nunes. May explain the ~70% buyrate increase.

What am I trying to prove? Not sure really. I think MM is drat good and does deserve more recognition and money. Is his lack of recognition due to the UFC shorting him on PR? I could see that. But I could also see casual fans not giving a gently caress about a dominant manlet, and maybe you need the casual fans to make money. Could MM be doing more to get the recognition he deserves? Sure, but maybe the UFC should be pushing a guy who's record speaks for itself. And if we believe what MM is saying about Dana and Shelby, then maybe the UFC ran the numbers and really thinks flyweight isn't worth it's effort. I think they're wrong, and threatening to abolish a division to get your way could have some consequences, IF people actually gave a poo poo. After reading that poo poo, I was thinking about making a twitch account just to throw a few bucks at MM.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
/\ /\ /\ UFC 178 is also a cool card since it runs counter to the 'Conor's popularity is something that he did himself' idea. Since, when he's not the main event, not fighting for the title and not the subject of a massive advertising campaign, he sells gently caress all.

threeagainstfour posted:

As far as promotion, the one thing that sticks out from that statement is Sean Shelby saying they could not promote Cody vs DJ. That seems crazy to me. The guy who just schooled Dominick Cruz vs the P4P #1 is an unsellable fight?

Reminds me a little of David Cross' rant about Fox's inability to make Arrested Development, the most lauded show in the history of everything, a hit. By the same token, Mighty Mouse is not a promoter. He's a fighter and he's really loving good at it. The UFC is a promotion. It's in the drat description. He fights, they promote. Getting angry at him for not promoting is like getting angry at a cook because he's not a good waiter.

Also, lol at calling Mighty Mouse bland when central casting WASP extras like Paige and Sage get huge promotional pushes with no accomplishments.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Who are they supposed to reach on the Fight Pass prelims? How is it their fault the entire division is consistently buried on prelims? How does the UFC benefit from making GBS threads on their best champion?

I remember when he fought Moraga, who was on a decent streak at the time. I was following the sport pretty closely at the time, and still had no idea who he was because he'd fought exclusively on the early prelims of minor cards.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
what huge promotional pushes have sage and van zant received? being on dana white lookin for a fight?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Skip My Posts posted:

what huge promotional pushes have sage and van zant received? being on dana white lookin for a fight?

I dunno about promotional material, but Paige headlined an event in Sacramento that also featured Faber in his retirement fight against Pickett.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

Even if that were the only thing, that's one more than MM ever got. As a serious answer, I don't have the energy to track down promos and look up with press conferences they were at despite having no good wins, but consider that Paige VanZant hasn't been off the main card since her second UFC fight (her debut was the featured fight pass bout) and has main evented twice with zero accomplishments. Sage hasn't main evented yet, but has consistently been on the main card since his second fight, the only exception being UFC 200.

Meanwhile, DJ wasn't on the main card till he started fighting for a title, and the same is true for a good chunk of his opponents. And while you can say 'well, more people watch the free prelims' most of those Sage and Paige cards were free cards.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Paige danced with the stars

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

Paige danced with the stars

Also did Chopped, according to Wikipedia

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh being in press conferences and being put onto main cards earlier in his career would have been considered a huge promotional push

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

Oh being in press conferences and being put onto main cards earlier in his career would have been considered a huge promotional push

We get it, you're stupid.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
seems more like you're crying that your favorite fighter isn't popular or getting his way and blaming the ufc instead of the casual fans that don't care about him

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
we're losing tons of money on these drat midgets, whose idea was it to make this division anyway? my wifes titties bigger than these guys. we should just axe the whole thing and hire more chris camozzis and joe ellenbergers, those are the kinda fighters that bring in the big bucks

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I'm calling you dumb because you think Paige Van Zant and Northcutt haven't been given beneficial treatment.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

No, that was just what I could verify right now.

Also acting as if dramatically increasing a fighter's visibility isn't a big deal makes it seem like you're not actually interested in an answer. Again, Paige Van Zant has headlined twice with zero accomplishments, and gotten trounced both times. DJ didn't even headline his first Flyweight title fight.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Heres a simple question - why did we know Paige and Sage? They were both attractive yes but it certainly wasn't their talent that made them known in our spheres and they aren't the only attractive fighters (if it was that Alan Jouban would be huge).

To think they have had no pushing or advertising and they got themselves over by just a youtube Dana video is idiotic at best and outright cognitive denial at worst.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
paige van zant and sage shouldnt even be in the ufc you're right about that

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

Pvz was on network television or whatever for awhile

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

seems more like you're crying that your favorite fighter isn't popular or getting his way and blaming the ufc instead of the casual fans that don't care about him

And casual fans, of course, cannot be influenced by the efforts of the promoter, which, again, is why we're talking a lot about Paige, Sage and Erick Silva. I know we don't talk about Erick Silva anymore, but we did, and it was only partially because he looked like Gael Garcia Bernal if he did heaps of steroids.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Skip My Posts posted:

paige van zant and sage shouldnt even be in the ufc you're right about that

Go on

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
actually i cant say if van zant should be in the ufc because i've never seen her fight and have onlys een pictures of her posted in this thread

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Sage should be in Keven's Basement FC

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Skip My Posts posted:

actually i cant say if van zant should be in the ufc because i've never seen her fight and have onlys een pictures of her posted in this thread

And with this admission of don't watch fights lets move on to a different topic to deprive this dumbass of oxygen

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Nahh, they both deserve to be in the UFC but if they weren't as photogenic as they are, they'd both be one or two losses away from being cut. Maybe they are one or two losses away from being cut, who knows. They're not exactly lighting up their respective divisions.

They both seem to be on 40/40 which is about right for where they are as well.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i only know about her due to the gigantic promotional work the ufc did for her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
it was funny to hear dana talk about his biggest regret in life, letting sage fight wit ha sore throat

• Locked thread