Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I liked it when he KO'd that Formerly Fat Dude that had enough leftover skin to make a second Sage Northcutt. All downhill from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Memento posted:

Nahh, they both deserve to be in the UFC but if they weren't as photogenic as they are, they'd both be one or two losses away from being cut. Maybe they are one or two losses away from being cut, who knows. They're not exactly lighting up their respective divisions.

They both seem to be on 40/40 which is about right for where they are as well.

Sage started on a much higher payscale than other fighters lmao

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
sage and paige main'd and co-main'd a fight card. sage has been on more main cards than wilson reis, and the only cards he's been on where he was not on the main card was his debut and ufc 200, where he shared the prelims with tj dillashaw, johny hendricks, rafael assuncao, kelvin gastellum, cat zingano and was placed above people who fought on the early prelims that no one watches the caliber of lauzon, miller, gomi, mousasi and sanchez.

it's insane to say that they haven't been given a little bit of help.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
This conversation is kind of hard to follow due to differing irony levels but Sage northcut being in the UFC despite being really bad at fighting, and them signing 0-1 guys for him to fight on the main card of PPVs, is a really big promotional push. And we'd be seeing more of him too if he didnt keep losing to the Mickey galls of the world

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

sage and paige main'd and co-main'd a fight card. sage has been on more main cards than wilson reis, and the only cards he's been on where he was not on the main card was his debut and ufc 200, where he shared the prelims with tj dillashaw, johny hendricks, rafael assuncao, kelvin gastellum, cat zingano and was placed above people who fought on the early prelims that no one watches the caliber of lauzon, miller, gomi, mousasi and sanchez.

it's insane to say that they haven't been given a little bit of help.

Yah

Its a little more understandable in Paiges case since the division is so thin and she seemed to have some potential

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
its definitely true that sage is overpaid for his talent and is given spots on cards that he does not deserve but if mighty mouse had been put on main cards sooner i dont think he'd be way more popular or anything

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Man if you want to hear about someone who got high profile fight positions and got to be on network TV get this: MM was the MAIN EVENT on like 5 fox cards in a row! Think of all the millions of people who got to see him kiss his dad on the lips.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Skip My Posts posted:

its definitely true that sage is overpaid for his talent and is given spots on cards that he does not deserve but if mighty mouse had been put on main cards sooner i dont think he'd be way more popular or anything

on one hand you could say 'fighting ability is all that counts' which is untrue because mm is the best fighter on the planet and no one cares and on the other hand you can say 'personality is all that counts' which is provably not true with sage giving every impression that he still showers with his parents, plugs sponsors he doesn't deserve and just generally gives a dark insight into dana white's sexuality.

so if fighting and personality aren't necessarily facets of popularity and financial success in mma, i have to believe promotion fills in a lot of the blanks no matter where you sit on the personality / fighting skill scale.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

Might help if any of his opponents were. A quick check reveals that only Dodson and Benavidez are on main cards with any regularity, and Benavidez only since the first Mighty Mouse fight, and that's despite him being a wrecking ball who hasn't lost to anyone without a belt.

By contrast, Jones' opponents (and Jones isn't exactly lighting the world on fire PPV wise) are all main event regulars, even utterly mediocre fighters like OSP and Glover have a couple of main event fights beforehand. Ironically, the only exception is DC.

In fact, I think you'd struggle to find a single title contender above 145 that hadn't had a main event or two before they challenged.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 6, 2017

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

Might help if any of his opponents were. A quick check reveals that only Dodson and Benavidez are on main cards with any regularity, and Benavidez only since the first Mighty Mouse fight, and that's despite him being a wrecking ball who hasn't lost to anyone without a belt.

thats probably treu but then why does he wanna fight ray borg over tj?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
tj isnt some superstar or anything but hes a lot more known and popular than ray borg

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

Please don't advertise quite so blatantly that you didn't read the thing that spawned all this discussion. Keep it subtle.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

You have access to this information, probably from the man himself.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

Please don't advertise quite so blatantly that you didn't read the thing that spawned all this discussion. Keep it subtle.

i read it. dana white is a dickhead and i think mighty mouse should get his entire purse if tj misses weight

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

i read it. dana white is a dickhead and i think mighty mouse should get his entire purse if tj misses weight

And that won't happen, and so you have your answer about why MM is reluctant to take the fight.

Also, who the gently caress likes being strongarmed into something? Especially if you can honestly say you are the best at the thing you do.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Maybe he should try streaming hearthstone or league of legends

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i dont think mighty mouse really believes that tj is gonna miss weight

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

i dont think

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
ray borg has missed weight a lot more than tj has

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Tj has never fought at 125

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

henkman posted:

Maybe he should try streaming hearthstone or league of legends

Counterstrike and Overwatch are also both up and coming games. He should also consider getting an editor to create youtube clips that he can monetize & post to reddit.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snowman_McK posted:

/\ /\ /\ UFC 178 is also a cool card since it runs counter to the 'Conor's popularity is something that he did himself' idea. Since, when he's not the main event, not fighting for the title and not the subject of a massive advertising campaign, he sells gently caress all.

LOL that you used Conor doubling MM's buy rate from 3 months prior as an example for your bad opinion.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
why not let dj fight tj at 135 for an interim

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
He wants to break the title defences record, that's his #1 priority

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Memento posted:

He wants to break the title defences record, that's his #1 priority

guess it's not #1 since he could do that against tj

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SquirrelGrip posted:

why not let dj fight tj at 135 for an interim

That's my guess is what will happen when they shutter 125.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Its his priority, but it has to happen in his next fight and it has to be against Ray "Cy" Borg, or even more ideally, Burglio Pettis.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

guess it's not #1 since he could do that against tj

Not if he misses weight.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Not if he misses weight.

ray borg missed weight in 2 of his last 4 fights

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
good way to raise your profile would be to beat up and finish a recent champion of a heavier weight class who lost his belt in a very close decision who was about to fight for that title again and has been destroying contenders in the mean time

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
It would be really funny if they shuttered the division before he broke the record

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.instagram.com/p/BU-Tej-AKQ6/

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
The only time Johnson ever gets promo is like t-minus 8 days from his fights. Compared to, say, RYAN BADER, they've been burying him for years in a way that practically seems personal

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Compared to, say, RYAN BADER, they've been burying him for years in a way that practically seems personal

if it wasn't, it should have been.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Bader's name got mentioned by non-Rogan sourced yells at least 3 times as much in promo material as Johnson's ever did, is my point.

Tiny guys are hard to sell! make lots of room for the tiny women who are 1/20th as good at fighting and number in the single digits within their own divisions

mewse
May 2, 2006

Where's the tinfoil hat emoticon because maybe this drama is manufactured to finally give DJ a push

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
^^^ Everybody loves wolf tickets.

Skip My Posts posted:

good way to raise your profile would be to beat up and finish a recent champion of a heavier weight class who lost his belt in a very close decision who was about to fight for that title again and has been destroying contenders in the mean time

Maybe the promoter should help out with raising his profile by, like, promoting him.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Maybe the promoter should help out with raising his profile by, like, promoting him.

yeah they will and it will work a lot better if he beats tj instead of ray borg

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
its lame that promotion and popularity is based on stuff other than pure talent but thats reality and not only in the ufc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Skip My Posts posted:

A better way would be to fight the actual guy with the belt in that division who has expressed interest in coming down for the fight.

I mean, I hope Johnson fights TJ because it would be really good, but if he's gonna take the risk of fighting a bigger guy moving down who likely won't stay in he division and may not make weight then he might as well try to make the best of the opportunity.

Plus the whole

"you're fighting Ray Borg"
"I think Sergio Pettis is more marketable, what about him?"
"gently caress you, it's Ray Borg"
"What about ppv points?"
"I'm sure that can be arranged. "
"Cool"
"Just checked with the boss, he said that can't be arranged."
"So I'm fighting Ray Borg for no PPV points?"
"Actually, Ray Borg sucks, no one cares about him, you're fighting TJ Dillashaw for no PPV points"
"How about I fight Ray Borg and then a champions match vs Cody Garbrandt? And you give me PpV points."
"You're fighting TJ Dillashaw and no PpV points because you're little and nobody pays to watch little fighters."
"Then why does it matter who I fight?!"
"Actually were closing down the division, stay on hold so we can get you banking info to send your final paycheck, minus uniform deductions"

• Locked thread