Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If he wants a million a fight like he says or whatever, he should stop being bland as gently caress every moment he isn't in the cage.

I love the guy and think he's a phenomenal fighter but he needs even a slight amount of self-awareness regarding his drawing ability and how his incredible blandness outside of the cage affects such ability.

That said, it's a disgrace he doesn't get points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Veskit posted:

Why is it so upsetting to people that DJ at this point wants to fight like for, you know... money?

I don't blame the guy at all. He should try to make as much money as possible. And I feel he absolutely deserves PPV points.

But I also believe he appears to have an unrealistic view of what his earnings ceiling is and he's cutting off his nose to spite his face to a degree.

He's one of the best pure fighters ever and arguably the best P4P fighter in the world right now, but in a realistic view of combat sports, that's not the dominating factor in your earnings, for better or worse. It's not a secret that you have to be a really strong personality to earn really great money in a lower weight class. It's always been that way. And to come in with a belief that you can be so good that you overcome that is super naive. You could win 30 defenses in a row and there will always be a portion of the population that does not care simply because you weigh 125 pounds.

There's a reason Conor McGregor can lose to Nate Diaz and then come right back and still draw a fuckton of money the next go round and it's not because he's an elite fighter. It's because he endlessly talks poo poo to get people's attention.

I can understand his argument about marketing his fights, but he also drew minimally on free TV so I also understand why the UFC wouldn't shell out a bunch of money to promote a guy who people didn't even turn up to see when it cost them nothing.

It's easy to see why he feels the way he does but I just feel that a lot of what limits DJ's drawing power are things inherent to DJ, which is unfortunate.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The best fighter in the world should make more money per fight than Phil Brooks. The UFC can afford it.

And Bryan Cranston should've made more money for Breaking Bad than Kevin James does for his trainwreck piece of poo poo but that's not how the world works.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

...and the pitch! posted:

It seems like the simple answer would be to put DJ on a card with another big(ger) fight. Why should he have to carry the card himself to make money?

Why should he get paid more for someone else drawing a bunch of people?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Dave posted:

If we stick with sports, sportsgenius86, than the best athletes usually do net the most money.

This is a good point if we ignore like the entire history of combat sports.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Auron posted:

Why do you think DC was so drat happy to be on a card with Brock Lesnar? Actually why was everyone on that main card happy as poo poo? Everybody makes money even if you aren't the main draw.

This is the only way for DJ to make more money. He's not going to draw a PPV by himself, ever. I don't give a poo poo if you're the best fighter on the planet, if you don't bring in the money, how do we pay you fuckloads of money?

It's not the only way for Cormier to make more money though. Would he make more than normal on a card with Brock? Absolutely. But Cormier was on there to increase the total draw power of the show. He wasn't on there because he draws nothing and they wanted to stash him there to make bank in the name of fairness.

The fact that you're admitting it's the only way for DJ to make more money is pretty much proving the UFC's point for them.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

So you're saying DJ shouldn't try to make more money? I don't understand what you people are arguing.

He should try to make as much money as possible. Anyone should.

Whether or not anyone should actually give it to you is a completely different argument.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

because post fight the ufc repossesses his furniture and fucks his wife

Wrong flyweight. That's McCall.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HOA's are loving retarded

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

:laffo: at him paying someone to make that piece of poo poo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The TUF fight was pretty good tonight

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Maybe a teenage girl will molest him in the hospital this time.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

you know what else is a stupid, unreasonable request? here, fight this guy who is neither a champion, nor in your division, and if he misses weight, fight this other guy. no we're not giving you anything extra.

also stupid and unreasonable: "I can't even draw on free tv so please pay me more to make people pay to watch me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think Mighty Mouse has some valid points and it's hard to argue that Dana isn't a dick, but at the end of the day, if his biggest gripe is money and they're offering him points to fight Dillashaw on PPV but he'd rather fight Borg on free tv, I have a hard time caring about his argument because he evidently doesn't care about it either.

And if the reason is because he won't hit the level for the points to kick in anyway then what the gently caress is all of this even about.

• Locked thread