Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Mighty Mouse, by the numbers:

First up is MM winning the title: UFC 152. 450,000 buyrate. Sounds good, but the card is headlined by Jones v. Belfort. The next three defenses are on UFC on Fox (UFCoF) cards. Defense #1, UFCoF 6 does 4.2 million viewers. Pretty good for a free card. Only beat by UFCoF 1 (Velasquez v. Dos Santos, 5.7 m), UFCoF 2 (Evans v. Davis, 4.7m), and UFCoF 5 (Henderson v. Diaz, 4.4 m). But maybe UFCoF 6 is an anomaly, because every free card title defense since has failed to break 3 million viewers.

Defense #2: UFCoF 8, 2.38m
Defense #3: UFCoF 9, 2.8m
Defense #9: Ultimate Fighter 24 Finale, 1.03m (FS1)
Defense #10: UFCoF 24, 1.99m avg., peaked at 2.87m for the main event.

In between defenses 3 and 9, are MM's PPVs.

Defense #4: UFC 174, 115k buyrate
Defense #5: UFC 178, 205k
Defense #6: UFC 186, 125k
Defense #7: UFC 191, 115k
Defense #8: UFC 197, 322k

197 sticks out, but the nearly tripled buyrate is easily explained by the return of Jon Jones. 178 was actually a pretty sweet card. The four other fights are Cerrone v. Alvarez, McGregor v. Poirier, the delightful Romero v. Kennedy match, and Zingano v. Nunes. May explain the ~70% buyrate increase.

What am I trying to prove? Not sure really. I think MM is drat good and does deserve more recognition and money. Is his lack of recognition due to the UFC shorting him on PR? I could see that. But I could also see casual fans not giving a gently caress about a dominant manlet, and maybe you need the casual fans to make money. Could MM be doing more to get the recognition he deserves? Sure, but maybe the UFC should be pushing a guy who's record speaks for itself. And if we believe what MM is saying about Dana and Shelby, then maybe the UFC ran the numbers and really thinks flyweight isn't worth it's effort. I think they're wrong, and threatening to abolish a division to get your way could have some consequences, IF people actually gave a poo poo. After reading that poo poo, I was thinking about making a twitch account just to throw a few bucks at MM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
I think the best course for MM is to just fight TJ if thats how the UFC wants to play this. Yes, the UFC doesn't appreciate one of it's most dominant champs. Yes, TJ is coming from a bigger weight class, and will undoubtedly be MM's toughest defense. But no one gives a gently caress about MM either way. And if MMMMMDJ wins, and I wouldn't count him out of any fight against any bantamweight in the UFC, then he should be able to negotiate any drat thing he pleases. And even if the UFC and the casual fans still don't give a poo poo, he could just walk away, breaking the record for title defenses with the narrative of either ambivalence or outright disrespectful treatment from the company the whole way.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Has there been any scuttlebutt about the undercard for that fight? A mixed promotion sounds interesting. poo poo, have a bunch of different fights with different rulesets. Grappling match, kickboxing, pride rules. Seems like a good way to beef up the show, considering the main event could be a thoroughly one sided affair

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Actually, I've just come up with a preliminary undercard. All boxing exhibition matches.

Deontay Wilder v. Brock Lesnar

B-hop v. The Iceman

Naseem Hamed v. ???

Adrien Broner v. Some Mexican mma fighter with good hands

• Locked thread