Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

Because the most dominant champion sold fewer PPV buys than James Toney and his gold belt in jiu-jitsu.

Maybe they should promote him more (at all). Instead they're pushing garbage like Northcutt and Van Zant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

all of DJ's opponents are worse at promotion than he is

Who are they supposed to reach on the Fight Pass prelims? How is it their fault the entire division is consistently buried on prelims? How does the UFC benefit from making GBS threads on their best champion?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

WME-IMG inherited like $2bn of debt from the purchase of the UFC, that is a shitload of debt to pay off and maybe they think they can further cut salaries and expenses.

Burning all of the bridges is usually not a sound business strategy for people in debt.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

Oh being in press conferences and being put onto main cards earlier in his career would have been considered a huge promotional push

We get it, you're stupid.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I'm calling you dumb because you think Paige Van Zant and Northcutt haven't been given beneficial treatment.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

thats probably treu but then why does he wanna fight ray borg over tj?

You have access to this information, probably from the man himself.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

i dont think

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

guess it's not #1 since he could do that against tj

Not if he misses weight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
^^^ Everybody loves wolf tickets.

Skip My Posts posted:

good way to raise your profile would be to beat up and finish a recent champion of a heavier weight class who lost his belt in a very close decision who was about to fight for that title again and has been destroying contenders in the mean time

Maybe the promoter should help out with raising his profile by, like, promoting him.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dr. Abysmal posted:

a loss wouldn't threaten the record.

Are you serious? Nobody would give a poo poo about the record if he lost a non-title fight.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 6, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Yeah, I am, because the record is for most title defenses, and the title wouldn't be on the line. Nobody is going to give a poo poo about the record anyway, because nobody gives a poo poo about Mighty Mouse, and it's a moot point because he's not going to fight TJ whether or not TJ could make flyweight.

No fighter has ever been poo poo on because of a recent defeat, my bad.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

but then again i find the guy who plays video games and chills w/ his family while being relentlessly polite, positive, hard working and personable when he isn't being the most dominant fighter in the world p4p pretty cool too

He poo poo talks his opponents all the time it's just a lot more subtle than yelling obscenities so mma fans don't acknowledge it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

david carmichael posted:

I think dj is great and I understand why he wants tj to prove he can make weight, but I don't understand what makes the UFC more evil than usual here

Why do they have to be more evil than usual for people to be mad?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Veskit posted:

I've been following it enough but i severely doubt that there's a written minimum that you are allowed to get points on a PPV fight during the negotiations of the fight itself. There's a difference between you get no points on the fight, and you'll start accruing points when you hit this amount of buys. If you think about it that's not even enforceable

Look how dumb this is.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don't blame the guy at all. He should try to make as much money as possible. And I feel he absolutely deserves PPV points.

But I also believe he appears to have an unrealistic view of what his earnings ceiling is and he's cutting off his nose to spite his face to a degree.

He's one of the best pure fighters ever and arguably the best P4P fighter in the world right now, but in a realistic view of combat sports, that's not the dominating factor in your earnings, for better or worse. It's not a secret that you have to be a really strong personality to earn really great money in a lower weight class. It's always been that way. And to come in with a belief that you can be so good that you overcome that is super naive. You could win 30 defenses in a row and there will always be a portion of the population that does not care simply because you weight 125 pounds.

There's a reason Conor McGregor can lose to Nate Diaz and then come right back and still draw a fuckton of money the next go round and it's not because he's an elite fighter. It's because endlessly talks poo poo to get people's attention.

I can understand his argument about marketing his fights, but he also drew minimally on free TV so I also understand why the UFC wouldn't shell out a bunch of money to promote a guy who people didn't even turn up to see when it cost them nothing.

It's easy to see why he feels the way he does but I just feel that a lot of what limits DJ's drawing power are things inherent to DJ, which is unfortunate.

The best fighter in the world should make more money per fight than Phil Brooks. The UFC can afford it.

Auron posted:

I'm sorry but why the gently caress should anyone get PPV points with less than 100k buys

Why is the UFC refusing to give him points if he's getting less than 100k buys?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

The fact that you're admitting it's the only way for DJ to make more money is pretty much proving the UFC's point for them.

So you're saying DJ shouldn't try to make more money? I don't understand what you people are arguing.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

And Bryan Cranston should've made more money for Breaking Bad than Kevin James does for his trainwreck piece of poo poo but that's not how the world works.

Do you think the producers of that show treated Cranston like poo poo on top of it?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Also his hands are made of stone so that must add a bunch of weight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Belgian Waffle posted:

I think there's a lot of issues behind this. His size will always be a detriment because the average viewer is going to look at him and think that they could take him in a fight... so, subconsciously, people just won't take him seriously because they don't register him as threatening. And to be fair, he looks ridiculous when wearing a suit and he really needs to stop doing that.
Besides that, he seems polite and the type of person who thinks that actions speak louder than words so he won't go out of his way to talk poo poo or make a scene.

He rarely wears suits and that is a dumb poo poo complaint in the first place. He also talks mad poo poo and is catty with his opponents but since the UFC doesn't promote him people like you come in and say he's too quiet and doesn't attract enough attention.

The rest of your post is also stupid but I don't have time to get into it.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 8, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Belgian Waffle posted:

I also believe that the UFC is right to think that DJ is hard to market for a variety of reasons. This doesn't shift the onus on promoting DJ's fights over to DJ... but he could be more proactive about it if he wanted.

They haven't tried to promote him nor his division so that is circular reasoning. DJ is currently promoting himself by publicly airing his grievances.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

david carmichael posted:

aldo being unable to scramble against max without getting shitrocked

His defense was actually really good for someone who just got knocked down with punches and kept getting punched. Most dudes would have been finished right but Aldo kept moving. Every other time has been when he's tired and already winning.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVGKU0EALg5/

I want Diaz bros' weed and Yancy's moonshine.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Kaddish posted:

Can't blame him. My love for ribs is so great that I had to pressure wash the side of my house after I smoked some ribs on my gas grill. :sad:

:agreed:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Nierbo posted:

Shoulda cut out the gritz

attackmole posted:

Hold that poo poo in Ghana. Let's get a rumble in the jungle throwback. I want the fighters to have to have to be airlifted out when people bust out AK's in the streets after they're disappointed in the match.

At least she doesn't have to deal with this kind of poo poo anymore.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

david carmichael posted:

Fs1 is replaying the thing and seeing dan kelly eat that left from brunson still makes me sad

I knew it was gonna happen but that didn't lessen the impact.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

jay z's sedan posted:

Also gently caress you Cub for the level of fight vs Choi and then the Lobov fight, just, no.

What the hell does this even mean?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

the lobov fight was pretty good. lobov did well

That is a generous characterization of his performance.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He did better than expected in a "wow he can take a sustained beating" way.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Dos Anjos is fighting Saffiedine at 170lbs.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

People can complain about who he fought but it's silly to complain about how often he fights

I don't know which person you're talking about but I agree.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Memento posted:

I honestly didn't know RDA trained out of Singapore, that's cool. I realise I don't know much about him. Anyone want to give me his best fight? The Pettis fight probably?

He has trained at Evolve(?) for a long time which probably explains why he kicks so dang hard.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Camacho looks done.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Can't wait to see Scoggins' party trick.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Respect for walking out to opera.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Memento posted:

Ode to Joy, from Beethoven's 9th. Not really opera.

I heard a fat guy singing and that's enough for me.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Can't wait to see Scoggins' party trick.

We see a different version of him every time he steps into the cage, Joe.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Bruce Leeroy owns so incredibly hard.

His fights are always good.

Edit: He is wild and offensive so his defense is loving terrible.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 17, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Lol

Uhhh good luck to... :checks notes: Cereal Astor.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Memento posted:

Retirement surely must be calling his name.

He needs beer and cigarette money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Lid posted:

Tarec is ruining the former RDAEPO

Not so much after the first 2 minutes.

That was a rad fight.

Edit 2: "Bubba Jenks"

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 17, 2017

• Locked thread